Customize

Kate Bornstein "A queer and pleasant danger"

Discussion in 'Celebrity News' started by Anonymous, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Anonymous Member

And a nice article, posted yesterday:

http://www.cbc.ca/books/2012/06/kate-bornsteins-former-life-in-scientology.html

Kate Bornstein's former life in Scientology
    On June 27, 2012 12:37 PM

Kate Bornstein is a transsexual writer, performance artist and outspoken activist. But that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of her fascinating life. She spent more than a decade as a member of the Church of Scientology, even becoming one of the organization's highest-ranking members. In her new memoir Queer and Pleasant Danger, Bornstein opens up about her time in the controversial group and how her life has been since she was excommunicated.

[IMG]
    Bornstein was born in 1948 in New Jersey and was raised in a conservative Jewish home. But she never felt comfortable with being male, she told Day 6 host Brent Bambury. In the late 1960s, Bornstein had been struggling with gender identity, fighting the desire to live as a female, and had been exploring different philosophies and religions, including Zen Buddhism. Then she found Scientology.

One of the central concepts in Scientology is that humans derive their identities from thetans, immortal spiritual beings that inhabit the body. Bodies may have genders, but thetan souls don't. Bornstein became enamoured with this idea and quickly found herself deep into Scientology. She wasn't open about her transgender identity with most of her fellow members, believing the church's canon to be homophobic and transphobic, but she proved to be a dedicated follower and worked her way up the ranks. Bornstein became first mate on the private yacht of leader L. Ron Hubbard.

- more at the link -
  2. The Wrong Guy Member

From the Houston Chronicle:

Kate Bornstein on Life After Scientology

I reviewed Kate Bornstein’s memoir A Queer and Pleasant Danger for the recent Sunday Zest section of the Chronicle. You can read the review here for a basic rundown of the book and a few of my thoughts about it.

The book has stuck with me, however, and I think I’ve figured out what I find so compelling about Bornstein’s story. It’s not so much the details of it, although those are certainly interesting enough. I mean, really – a Jewish boy from New Jersey grows up, spends 12 years in Scientology as a staff member, leaves it and undergoes a transition to become a woman – this is quite a story. And this only hits the high points.

What I like is Bornstein’s apparent relationship to Scientology now, many years later.

Is she critical of it? Yes, in several ways and for legitimate reasons.

Is she glad she’s out of it? Yes, I think so. She characterizes her time in it as a form of trauma from which she suffered a stress syndrome.

Does she think it’s a fraud? I don’t think so, at least not completely. She acknowledges that there is a “show business” element to it, but she doesn’t reduce the entire religion to that.

From http://blog.chron.com/talkingtolerance/2012/07/kate-bornstein-on-life-after-scientology/
    • Like Like x 1
  3. failboat Member

http://www.windycitymediagroup.com/lgbt/Trans-activist-Kate-Bornstein-on-Scientology-book/38856.html

Trans activist Kate Bornstein on Scientology, book
    • Like Like x 2
  4. failboat Member

http://www.windycitymediagroup.com/...nder-politics-Scientology-at-event/38998.html

Kate Bornstein talks gender politics, Scientology at event
    by Kate Sosin, Windy City Times2012-08-08
    http://www.eastbayexpress.com/ebx/on-how-life-is/Content?oid=3306145
    On How Life Is

Kate Bornstein opens her chamber of secrets.

• Like Like x 2
  5. She makes an interesting point in this interview about Scientology today.

Here is the link:
    http://www.religiondispatches.org/books/atheologies/5988/no_longer_at_sea%3A_kate_bornstein_talks_scientology/
    Not to start another debate on whether it is a religion but I think I know what she is getting at. I'll just say that it probably has to do with the fact that a lot of Scientologists these days were born into the cult, among other reasons. Hubbard would have loved this if he were still alive. Even more reason to protest and expose this cult.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Anonymous Member

Another indication of that would be the emergence of competing sects like Marty's. That probably means (unfortunately) that $cientology is here to stay, but also that the strength of the original "Church" will be held in check.
  7. Anonymous Member

LOL "subversive person"
  8. The Wrong Guy Member

Activist Kate Bornstein on Scientology

"I worked with L. Ron Hubbard directly. I was first mate on his fucking ship."

Xtra staff / National / Monday, August 27, 2012

Trans activist and author Kate Bornstein has released her autobiography, A Queer and Pleasant Danger: A Memoir. In the book she recounts her journey as a trans person and her involvement in the Church of Scientology.

“I was a member of what they call the Sea Organization,” recounts Bornstein in an interview conducted in advance of the release of her book. “This is their top management group.“

“I worked with L. Ron Hubbard directly. I was first mate on his fucking ship.”

Bornstein eventually left the church, which led to one of the most painful chapters of her life.

For more on this and Bornstein’s story check out Xtra's video interview.

Picture%20193.png.jpg

From www.xtra.ca/public/National/Activist_Kate_Bornstein_on_Scientology-12462.aspx
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Anonymous Member

Can't read the article unless you're a subscriber, but you can have a peek at Kate Bornstein on Publishers Weekly's splash page. She is featured in an author interview. Go Kate! They are discussing an updated interview of her "My New Gender Workbook".
    http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/reviews/index.html
    • Like Like x 1
  10. The Wrong Guy Member

Kate Bornstein events open to the public | Illinois News-Gazette

Performance artist Kate Bornstein will be the Unit One/Allen Hall guest-in-residence from today through Thursday.

All of the Bornstein events take place in the Main Lounge of Allen Hall, 1005 W. Gregory Drive, U, and are free and open to the public. Parking is available in the garage across the street.

Bornstein, also a playwright, has authored several award-winning books in the field of women and gender studies. Her book, "Hello, Cruel World: 101 Alternatives to Suicide for Teens, Freaks, and Other Outlaws," drew praise from civil rights groups globally.

Her books are taught in five languages in more than 200 colleges and universities worldwide.

Her latest book is the memoir "A Queer and Pleasant Danger: the true story of a nice Jewish boy who joins the Church of Scientology, and leaves 12 years later to become the lovely lady she is today."

Continued at www.news-gazette.com/living/2013-09-15/kate-bornstein-events-open-public.html
    • Like Like x 3
  11. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 4
  12. The Wrong Guy Member

A reminder, this Halloween, that Scientology’s tricks tear families apart

By Tony Ortega

We hope you enjoy this momentous date on the calendar with lots of parties and costumes and treats.

We wanted to take this time to remind you about a person we admire greatly. Her name is Kate Bornstein, and we wrote a cover story at the Village Voice about her in 2012 when she published her masterful memoir, A Queer and Pleasant Danger.

If you aren’t familiar with Kate, you owe it to yourself to read her book, and to see the new movie about her by filmmaker Sam Feder. It’s playing the festival circuit right now, and we found it to be a compelling and accurate portrait.

Kate is a well-known transsexual performance artist who challenged conventional ideas about gender with her important book Gender Outlaw, a staple in college courses around the country. But it was in her memoir that Kate told the full story of growing up as Al Bornstein, a Brown University drama major who then fell into Scientology and became L. Ron Hubbard’s first mate on the ship Apollo in the early 1970s.

As we said two years ago, A Queer and Pleasant Danger may be the best book written about what it’s like to get caught up in Scientology’s “Sea Org” and then later grow disillusioned with it. And Kate paid a dear price for leaving the organization.

As she explains in the book, the things she became known for later — her stage work, her frank descriptions of her sexual explorations — are not the reason why she hasn’t seen her daughter in decades and has never seen her two grandchildren.

The reason Kate Bornstein is cut off from her daughter and grandkids is solely because she turned away from Scientology.

She told us that to this day, she still looks for her daughter Jessica in the crowds she speaks to at universities around the country, hoping, some day, that she’ll be reunited with her. But she wasn’t even sure where Jessica was or what she was doing. She only knew that Jessica had been working in Clearwater, Florida, where many of Scientology’s dedicated employees work.

Kate told us that she hoped some day our extensive network of tipsters inside the church and among recent defectors could help her learn something about Jessica and her children.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2014/10/31/a-...that-scientologys-tricks-tear-families-apart/
    • Like Like x 2
  13. anon8109 Member

• Like Like x 2
  14. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Each time one of the disconnection stories comes up I cannot understand why Scientology isn't branded as a cult in the USA, they must have quite a lot on the government. Probably proof of infiltration and the desire to cover the embarrassment up. Maybe the FBI doesn't want some of the actions of the tainted agents/leaders to be FBI to be questioned too.the actions
    • Like Like x 1
  15. anon8109 Member

The reason that US government does not brand Scientology as a cult is that the US government does not have the power, according to its constitution, to brand anything a cult and not for the reasons you speculated.
  16. Ersatz Global Moderator

Kate is transgender. Technically she considers herself to be queer.
  17. Kate Bornstein sees a photo of Scientology disconnected grandson for the first time.

Tony Ortega: A reminder, this Halloween, that Scientology’s tricks tear families apart
    http://tonyortega.org/2014/10/31/a-...that-scientologys-tricks-tear-families-apart/

Excerpts:
    • Like Like x 2
  18. The Wrong Guy Member

Former high-ranking Scientologist: “Thetans have no gender” | Salon

Gender theory pioneer Kate Bornstein talks about trans visibility, LGBT activism and her history with the church

Last paragraph:

Well, for two years I was expecting to die of lung cancer and/or leukemia. Now, and for the time being, there’s nothing of either of those cancers in my body. I’m alive. Quel joie de vivre! I get to live my life as an old crone, an elder, and a little old lady. All that is new! And I’m not directing the course of my own life so much as I am celebrating the possibilities of my life, given my new station in it. Plus my chemo-brain is still with me, but it’s gone to the point I’m working on a new book. Not ready to talk about it too much just yet, but it should be a lot of fun.

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/17/former_high_ranking_scientologist_thetans_have_no_gender/
    • Like Like x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  19. The Wrong Guy Member

Kate Bornstein Reads from Her Memoir 'A Queer and Pleasant Danger' - Listen | Towleroad

We’re turning to trans activist and icon Kate Bornstein’s stunning memoir A Queer and Pleasant Danger for our next pick in our TowleREAD series, currently focusing on some of the best new and classic LGBT books available on Audible.com.

The subtitle of Bornstein’s memoir tells you a lot about what to expect from the book: “The true story of a nice Jewish boy who joins the Church of Scientology, and leaves twelve years later to become the lovely lady she is today.”

While Bornstein was previously afraid to talk about her experience with the Church, fearing retribution, Bornstein decided to speak out because she hopes some of what she says will get through to her daughter, still a member of Scientology and thus not allowed to speak with Bornstein.

<snipped>

As part of its sponsorship of TowleREAD, Audible is offering a free download of Kate Bornstein’s A Queer and Pleasant Danger at Audible.com with a 30-day trial membership for Towleroad readers.

There's more here, including a 2011 video clip:
    http://www.towleroad.com/2015/11/ka...er-memoir-a-queer-and-pleasant-danger-listen/
  20. The Wrong Guy Member

Caitlyn Jenner's got company: meet Kate Bornstein, the one-woman whirlwind who's lived many lives

She’s been a ship’s mate, a sex worker and a Scientologist. As her one-woman show hits Britain, we talk peace and pronouns with Kate Bornstein, the new co-star of I Am Cait

By Emine Saner, The Guardian

Kate Bornstein has crammed a lot of lives into her 67 years. In no particular order, she has been: a man, a woman, a father, a husband, a performance artist, a novelist, a playwright, a gender theorist, a ship’s first mate, a sex worker, and a recovering Scientologist. She may be the closest person real life has to Virginia Woolf’s gender-shifting, multiple-existence character Orlando, only with cute round glasses and a Tardis necklace.

Bornstein’s next incarnation will be as a reality TV star, when the second series of Caitlyn Jenner’s show I Am Cait arrives next month. She has already been the subject of a 2014 documentary, Kate Bornstein is a Queer and Pleasant Danger, which did well at festivals, but entering the Kardashian world will be something else entirely. Although Bornstein did appear in the first series, which documented Jenner’s transition, she will now feature much more prominently.

<snipped>

All her life she had been puzzled about her gender – she knew she wasn’t a man, which meant, she thought, that she must be a woman. But she didn’t feel like a woman either and Scientology offered an explanation. “They said you’re not your body, not your brain, you don’t have a soul. You are your own immortal soul. And as an immortal soul, you have no mass, no energy, you don’t exist in time or space. Because of all of that, I thought, ‘Oh, then I wouldn’t have a gender.’” Scientology made sense to her. Unfortunately, she says, with a raised eyebrow and a sideways smile, “it’s a totalitarian cult.”

She was a Scientologist for 12 years. Three of them were spent as a lieutenant on founder L Ron Hubbard’s ship in his Sea Org fleet. “He was a physically unattractive man,” she says. “He had a deathly fear of dentists, so his teeth were a mess and so was his breath. Despite all of that, he made you feel like he was your daddy and you just wanted to please him. He would come out on deck at night, under the stars, and spin wonderful stories. He would tell us about who we were millions of years ago, the battles we fought back then, saying that now is our chance to move back in and free Earth from the slavery of the psychiatrists.”

She left after they subjected her to six hours on a lie detector machine, refusing a place on its punishing Rehabilitation Project Force. Instead, she chose excommunication, which meant leaving behind her then nine-year-old daughter, who is still a member of the Church of Scientology along with her mother, who hasn’t spoken to Bornstein since.

<snipped>

Kate Bornstein is at Soho Theatre, London, 23-24 February.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...-bornstein-interview-caitlyn-jenner-i-am-cait
    • Like Like x 5
  21. The Wrong Guy Member

Staying alive: Kate Bornstein gives the finger to cancer, suicide, and the gender binary | openDemocracy

"Once you break down a huge fucking binary like gender, no other binaries seem to make sense": an interview with the much-loved trans author and artist.

Other people get het up about gender, but not Kate Bornstein.

The much-loved trans writer, gender theorist, performance artist and former Scientologist approaches questions of identity with the same airiness that they do life, scattering their work with cartoons, cute jokes, and terms of endearment like "darling" and "sweetie".

The guiding principle? "Don’t be mean".

But Kate lived with leukaemia for nearly 20 years, and has battled chronic lung cancer more recently. Living in the US, they were unable to cover medical costs, yet a crowdfunder for friends and fans raised over $100,000. Now, they are cancer-free, and still here to tell us about it.

A delightfully eccentric figure, Kate exudes charisma. We meet at London’s Hackney Attic, before their appearance alongside poet Roz Kaveney. It’s characteristic of Kate’s warmth that after the interview we end up eating hot dogs and drinking beer, while I listen to stories of how the two met years earlier. Gender theorists can be intimidating, but Kate is always inviting and deliberately inclusive.

Fittingly, their 2012 memoir is titled A Queer and Pleasant Danger: the true story of a nice Jewish boy who joins the Church of Scientology and leaves twelve years later to become the lovely lady that she is today.

They are currently appearing in season two of Caitlyn Jenner’s TV reality show ‘I Am Cait’.

Continued here:
    https://www.opendemocracy.net/trans...ate-bornstein-faces-down-gender-binary-cancer
    • Like Like x 2
  22. 4/11: Screening of Kate Bornstein is a Queer and Pleasant Danger (re Ex-Scientology).

Roger Williams University, in Bristol, Rhode Island.

http://faculty-and-staff.rwu.edu/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Film Screening and Director Discussion of "Kate Bornstein is a Queer and Pleasant Danger" on April 11 at RWU

Please join us on Monday, April 11 at 6 pm in FCAS 157 for a very special screening of the documentary film "Kate Bornstein is a Queer and Pleasant Danger," with a Q&A with filmmaker Sam Feder. This film screening kicks off SAFE’s LGBTQIA + Pride Week (April 11-15). SAFE warmly welcomes the entire RWU community to this exciting event. The event is co-sponsored by Gender & Sexuality Studies, LGBTQ Student Affairs, The Women’s Center, The Locker Room, and the Office of Residence Life.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

QueerAndPleasantDangerScreening.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  23. The Wrong Guy Member

What you didn’t see on ‘I Am Cait’: Kate Bornstein and Caitlyn Jenner at Scientology HQ

By Tony Ortega, May 26, 2016

In December, while filming the second season of I Am Cait, Caitlyn Jenner and show regular Kate Bornstein made a visit to the Church of Scientology “org” that is part of its worldwide administrative headquarters in Los Angeles.

You didn’t hear about it because what happened that day never made it into the show, which aired its season finale more than a month ago.

But now we can tell you that the visit to Scientology was a daring move by Jenner, who was there to support her friend Bornstein on an emotional journey. The two of them were there asking to see Bornstein’s daughter, Jessica Baxter, who Kate has not seen in more than 30 years.

Ultimately, they were turned away after spending about an hour at the Scientology facility. Bornstein tells us they chose not to take cameras with them, out of concern for Scientology’s security measures.

So there is no footage of the encounter. But Kate Bornstein told us all about it, and Caitlyn Jenner’s representative confirmed that the event happened.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/05/26/wh...rnstein-and-caitlyn-jenner-at-scientology-hq/
    • Like Like x 2
  24. I want to add the following excerpts because I think they are of some importance.

http://tonyortega.org/2016/05/26/wh...rnstein-and-caitlyn-jenner-at-scientology-hq/

“Mike Rinder had pulled a few strings and found where Jessica was stationed and what her office was,” Kate says.

“Caitlyn had no idea how doomed to failure our little jaunt was, but it made me feel good to try. And it made me happy when Mike said that Jessica knows now that someone wants to see her.”

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  25. The Wrong Guy Member

Here's more coverage, with a click-bait headline:

Caitlyn Jenner’s Secret Visit To Scientology Headquarters EXPOSED! | Radar Online

Was the reality star trying to join the controversial church?

Excerpt:

“Kate was just sort of surprised that after the subject of Scientology came up and she told everybody about her daughter, Caitlyn followed up with her and says, ‘Hey, what’s going on with that?’” Ortega told Radar.

“When she heard that Jessica was in L.A., Caitlyn said, ‘Let’s go see her!’ and Kate kind of had to explain to her that if you go to Scientology and you kind of poke at them, they have a way coming back at you,” the blogger claimed. “Caitlyn was like ‘Eh, let’s do it!’ So I could tell by talking to Kate that she was just really moved that Caitlyn was this supportive and gung-ho.”

Once they arrived at the church headquarters, the reality stars waltzed into the lobby and demanded to see Bernstein’s daughter, Ortega claimed, joking, “I don’t doubt that phone calls were going all over the place and David Miscavige was immediately notified.”

Ortega claims they decided to leave after about an hour of waiting. But most shocking of all, he said, Jenner was dumbfounded that no one in the center seemed to know who she was!

“Jenner walked into the front lobby of Scientology’s Org and no one recognized her! Kate said that that really confused her – she’s not used to that,” Ortega, who recently spoke to Bornstein, claimed. “She’s used walking into a place like that, says, ‘I want to see so and so’ and then like immediately being taken to that person. So the fact there were these four people behind the counter, none of whom knew who she was … she said Caitlyn was really kind of surprised.

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/caitlyn-jenner-scientology-scandal-exposed/
    • Like Like x 1
  26. International Business Times: Caitlyn Jenner Secretly Visited Scientology Headquarters, Report Says

http://www.ibtimes.com/caitlyn-jenner-secretly-visited-scientology-headquarters-report-says-2375205

“I Am Cait” star Caitlyn Jenner went on a secret visit to Scientology headquarters, Radar Online wrote in an exclusive report Friday. At first glance, it might seem like Jenner was interested in joining the controversial church, but she actually went to support one of her friends.

Kate Bornstein, a co-star on “I Am Cait,” has not seen her daughter, Jessica Baxter, since she left Scientology in the '80s. When Jenner heard about this, she wanted to see if they could locate Baxter, Scientology blogger Tony Ortega told Radar Online.

27. JohnnyRUClear Member

One does not simply visit one's Scientologist family members -- at least, not while one is an SP.
    • Like Like x 2
  28. Caitlyn Jenner Involved In Scientology Scandal: Visited Center To Reunite Friend With Daughter.

Design and Trend: Caitlyn Jenner Involved In Scientology Scandal: Visited Center To Reunite Friend With Daughter

http://www.designntrend.com/article...al-visited-center-reunite-friend-daughter.htm

Caitlyn Jenner Involved In Scientology Scandal: Visited Center To Reunite Friend With Daughter

Katia Kleyman , Design & Trend
    May, 28, 2016, 11:13 PM

Caitlyn Jenner recently visited the Scientology center in Los Angeles to try to reunite her friend Kate Bornstein with her estranged daughter, Radar reports. The Scientology blogger, Tony Ortega, wrote an article about Jenner and Bornstein's visit to the center.

Kate Bornstein has appeared several times on Jenner's show, "I Am Cait." Bornstein, like Jenner, is a transgender woman. She has been a long-time activist in the transgender movement, and wrote the influential book "Gender Outlaw."

According to Ortega, before Bornstein became the well-known academic and trans spokesperson she is today, she used to be a scientologist.

Bornstein left the movement in the 80s and hasn't seen her daughter, Jessica Baxter, since.

When Jenner found out about this she immediately wanted to go to the Scientology center and try to find Baxter.

"Kate was just sort of surprised that after the subject of Scientology came up and she told everybody about her daughter, Caitlyn followed up with her and says, 'Hey, what's going on with that?'" Ortega told Radar.

"When she heard that Jessica was in L.A., Caitlyn said, 'Let's go see her!' and Kate kind of had to explain to her that if you go to Scientology and you kind of poke at them, they have a way of coming back at you," Ortega continued. "Caitlyn was like 'Eh, let's do it!' So I could tell by talking to Kate that she was just really moved that Caitlyn was thing supportive and gung-ho."

Ortega went on to say that Jenner went right into the center and demanded to see Baxter. Jenner became surprised when no one knew who she was. They ultimately never found or spoke to Baxter.

When Bornstein, then still known as Al Bornstein, left the church Bornstein's family cut ties with her.

"Molly [her wife at the time] and Jessica broke off with her — this was before Al transitioned to Kate," Ortega explained."

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 3
  29. VIDEO: Ex-Scientology Leader and Trans Icon Kate Bornstein on What It Takes to Survive.

Broadly: Ex-Scientology Leader and Trans Icon Kate Bornstein on What It Takes to Survive

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/vide...on-kate-bornstein-on-what-it-takes-to-survive

Video at link.

Discussion about Scientology starts around 3:10.

* * * * * BEGIN INTRODUCTION * * * * *

The transgender movement is now a powerful cultural force, but there are trans elders who have led the way for the recognition and progress that we are making today in the United States. You may recognize her from her role on Caitlyn Jenner's TV show, but Kate Bornstein has been leading a gender revolution for the last 30 years.

Bornstein is one of the most important contributors to gender discourse in the 20th century, and her ideas are still just as radical. Where the trans movement of today has gained momentum in part by developing and advertising a transgender ideology that lines up neatly along a gender binary between male and female, Bornstein's gender identity cannot be easily or neatly categorized.

She was exiled from the Church of Scientology, losing her daughter and the mother of her children. She left behind manhood to become a woman, only to find that the new label she'd adopted also failed to accurately identify her. Not man, not woman, Bornstein was unmoored from society and, still, from herself.

As Bornstein told me during our interview, that was "a dark night of soul." But it is the work Bornstein did in the wake of that disillusioning experience that made her into the indefinable trans auntie of a generation of queer people across the globe. She wrote Gender Outlaw in the early 90s, a queer bible that's still taught in colleges today, outlining Bornstein's non-binary gender opus.

Though Bornstein's work has always served to broaden our understanding of gender, there are people in and out of the transgender community who have reacted with hostility to her message. Bornstein isn't afraid of saying she used to be a man, or claiming the term "tranny" as her own. "It's my name, it's who I am," Bornstein pleaded on I am Cait, as the straight-laced trans female professor and author Jenny Boylan debated Bornstein's use of the controversial word.

But Bornstein has never backed down. She has refused to bend over to assimilationist rhetoric, choosing instead to fiercely embrace the outliers, the rejected, and the freaks. She has given a voice to the silenced and the reviled, advocating for their survival. This is the simple yet profound moral to Bornstein's countercultural fairytale: "Do whatever it takes to survive. Just don't be mean."

* * * * * END INTRODUCTION * * * * *
  30. The interview of Kate Bornstein discussing Scientology disconnection is now on YouTube.

• Like Like x 1
  31. February 13, 2017: York UK Screening of A Queer and Pleasant Danger, the Kate Bornstein story.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/film-screening-kate-bornstein-is-a-queer-and-pleasant-danger-tickets-30488406645

Feb 13

Film Screening: Kate Bornstein is a Queer and Pleasant Danger

by York St John University

Free

Description

Film Screening: Kate Bornstein is a Queer and Pleasant Danger

Meet Auntie Kate.

Trailblazing performance artist-theorist-activist Kate Bornstein takes us on a mind-bending quest through her world dismantling gender and seeking answers to the age-old question: What makes life worth living?

An award-winning documentary by director Sam Feder, screened as part of York LGBT History month.

• Like Like x 1
  32. 4/21 - 4/30/17: Kate Bornstein: On Men, Women, and the Rest of Us

(Sorry to cross-post this only after the first show. Just saw it today).

http://lamama.org/kate_bornstein/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * *

Kate Bornstein: On Men, Women, and the Rest of Us

April 21, 2017 - April 30, 2017
    The Club | 74A E 4th Street; 2nd Floor
    Friday & Saturday at 9:30PM; Sunday at 7:30PM & 6PM
    $25 Adult Tickets; $20 Students/Seniors; Limited $10 Tickets

Written and Performed by Kate Bornstein

Come spend a cosy evening with your very own Auntie Kate, who promises you’ll laugh, you’ll cry, and you’ll gasp out loud as she speaks about the last thirty years of her life as a non-binary identified queer trans dyke. This is an evening of her most favorite heartwarming anecdotes, touching and sometimes-painful personal trials and tribulations, and inspiring tales of putting the world to rights. Her performance is at once deeply personal and universally acceptable, weaving together stand-up comedy, theatrical monologues, and heart-to-heart storytelling to convey the experience of her long, rich non-binary trans life.

33. Kate Bornstein's current show is in New York, NY, in case anyone needs to know. CiC didn't give that info in his post.

Apologies for the double post.
  34. The Wrong Guy Member

A queer story about Scientology, gender, and L. Ron Hubbard’s sweet pile of Swiss cash

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, October 13, 2018

Quote:

One of our favorite stories at the Village Voice was the chance we got to write about Kate Bornstein’s unique journey in Scientology and later as a well-known New York transgender performance artist, captured in the 2012 memoir, A Queer and Pleasant Danger. Kate has had an amazing year with a run on Broadway and ever-increasing fame as a gender theorist. We’re thrilled to get the chance to run this lengthy excerpt from Kate’s deliciously written book. This is chapter 11, “All Good Things,” and we’re in the 1970s as Al Bornstein, the former first mate of the flagship Apollo, had been through one marriage, to Molly, which had produced a daughter, Jessica. But now Al was alone and working around the clock for the Sea Org in New York.

Continued at https://tonyortega.org/2018/10/13/a...-and-l-ron-hubbards-sweet-pile-of-swiss-cash/