Customize

julian assange released

Discussion in 'Wikileaks' started by new guy, Dec 14, 2010.

1. re: julian assange released

Report from the frontlines: Anonymous showed up at Westminster Magistrates court from 12:30 today to join the Wikileaks demo. About 5 anons were there masked, with a few others going "non-anon" as it were.

As usual, the EFG mask acted like a magnet for the press, lots of photo ops and a few questions about the DDOS and net activism (we used this opportunity to plug Operation Leakspin as much as possible, to try and show that Anon isn't just bored script kiddies).

All of a sudden, who do we spot but the man, the legend himself, John "Doesn't afraid of anything" Sweeney! Of course, we went batshit trying to get his attention, and he and his cameraman came over to speak to us for Panorama! We made a point of thanking him profusely for his work on exposing the cult, and lovely man that he is, he posed for the photo above with us. He seemed rather amused by the whole thing, I think he knows that he's a bit of a hero round these parts.

Anyway, Anon represented throughout the afternoon before eventualy buggering off when it became apparent that Assange wasn't going to be released today. Fun times had by all (and it has to be said, the cops did an excellent job as well, they were friendly, helpful and protected us from the busy traffic).
  2. ZeroC Member

re: julian assange released

Awesome work
  3. new guy Member

We had 2 noobs with us today,they gave interviews and did really well.
  4. conatus Member

good showing, and . . . frickin' Sweeney! Nice and a great photo op.
  5. Rockyj Member

Me so proud! Tears...Dam it! I wish I was in England!
  6. theLastAnon Member

inb4 this pic is used in the next edition of Freedom Magazine.

Epic photo.
  7. Rockyj Member

Sweeny really looks genuinely happy to be posing with Sir Anons!
  8. Kilia Member

Sweeny's a doll..a bit young for me, but a real doll nonetheless!
  9. grebe Member

Did Sweeney notice his face plastered all over wwp.net?

sweeney.jpg
  10. Rockyj Member

my vote!
  11. 3rdMan Member

Awe man. So much win.

Edit: Could you give us a summary of what you guys were asked by reporters and what you told them?
  12. amaX Member

Epic picture with Sweeney. Appreciate your covering this story for us. Well done.
  13. Anonymous Member

For those who weren't around at the time, a reminder of Wikileaks epic goodness.

From 2008:

Church of Scientology warns Wikileaks over documents - Wikinews, the free news source

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/15-media/cult-trying-sue-wikileaks-7748/
    Watchdog Web Site Draws Legal Threats from Scientologists, Mormons - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News - FOXNews.com
  14. Re: julian assange court hearing live updatesAa

Sure. It was all pretty formulaic, there were some minor idiosyncrasies, but it generally went like this:

Q: Why are you here

A: We're here to show support for Julian Assange, the Wikileaks organisation and freedom of speech/the press.

Q: Why are you wearing those masks?

A: because today we're identifying as Anonymous, an internet based collective who support the free accessibility of information to all.

Q: What are you hoping to see today?

A: Ideally, the unconditional release of Julian Assange from these charges, which are clearly a politically motivated attempt to discredit him and his organisation. Realistically, we're hoping to see him released on bail so that he can start to build the case for his defence, something he's not been able to do for the past week due to being held illegally without access to his mail or any books or papers.

That's about the gist of it as I recall, the others who were there might have more to add. Like I say, one or two reporters asked about some of the past week's DDOS and "hacktivism" stuff; but for my part I told them that I hadn't taken part in that (because I didn't), and stressed that different subsets of people under the banner of Anonymous were doing different stuff - e.g. Leakspin, and involving themselves in IRL protests as we were.
  15. Ogsonofgroo Member

Can't say it better!

Kudos and cakes Englanons!
  16. Anonymous Member

After the negative media connotations recently, this episode has more than made up for it.

Fantastic job guys and, of course, much applause to Mr Sweeney (who should run for Prime Minister)!

Good quotes, good pictures, great publicity and no footbullets.

What a way to end the year - win.
  17. BLiP Member

L E G E N D S ! ! !

How I wish I could be back in the UK to join in <sigh>
  18. re: julian assange released

If we thought he did it we wouldn't want to free him.
  19. Anonymous Member

Should Assange get extradited to Sweden for something that doesn't even count as a crime in the UK and with no evidence, then there is nothing else to blame than the EU 2003 Extradition Act
    The Julian Assange case: a mockery of extradition? | Afua Hirsch | Comment is free | The Guardian
    The Julian Assange case: a mockery of extradition? | Afua Hirsch | Comment is free | The Guardian
  20. Anonymous Member

That doesn't address the fact that there's no warrant and that even the offenses they're trying to nail him with in Sweden might not carry any jail time at all. (in normal circumstances at least)
  21. WhiteNight Member

You glorious wingéd bastard! I'm proud of you.
  22. prot Member

23. prot Member

yay! Justice Ousely has upheld the decision to grant Assange bail, according to Sky News.
  24. Anonymous Member

1.05pm: Justice Ouseley has upheld the decision to grant Assange bail, according to Sky News. There were cheers outside the court.
  25. xenubarb Member

We don't move away when rabid dogs come thru the 'hood. Remember Old Yeller?
  26. Sponge Member

Note that it was the Crown Prosecution Service which had appealed the first application for bail, not Sweden.
    It was the CPS who decided to appeal | Head of Legal
  27. Anonymous Member

Wikileaks announces to publish secret Tom Cruise auditing tapes next:
    [URL="http://is.gd/iQmRI" ]http://is.gd/iQmRI[/URL]
  28. LocalSP Member

If only.
  29. re: julian assange released

If the UK courts take account of British law and don’t let the American government or the Swedish government dictate to them they may well free Julian Assange, see the BBC webpage Q&A: Arrest of Wikileaks founder Julian Assange quoted below.
  30. Anonymous Member

Yay,he does'nt have to stay in jail for much longer.
  31. re: julian assange released

Remind me. What happens to Ole Yeller at the end?

For as long as it takes to raise the full GBP200k cash security + GBP40k surety bonds. inb4conspiracyanotherniteinjail
  32. Sponge Member

Tracking some follow-ups on that issue from The Guardian live reports and twitters.......

in court today the CPS were pedantically whining about the surety, as one tweet said...
    although Assange's lawyer, Stephens, commented later outside court ....
    (as if suggesting that there was a little more to it)......

The judge poopooed the CPS' remarks in court....
    .....but then this......

Crown Prosecution Service has issued the following brief statement:
    It doesn't say whether the Swedish government specifically asked the CPS to appeal.

Clear as mud?
  33. TinyDancer Member

34. Rockyj Member

Re: julian assange released

What's the best online live news source to see this?
  35. Sponge Member

He's coming out now
  36. Anonymous Member

Cable news in the US is showing it live.
    Even FOX
  37. Rockyj Member

Yeah, corporate news is really doing a good job covering this.
    GONE, now back to the tax (so-called) compromise.
  38. Anonymous Member

Finally! Assange thanking people around the world right now.

and to members of the Press who were not All taken in....