Customize

Julian Assange given bail!!!

Discussion in 'Wikileaks' started by NextGenPirate, Dec 14, 2010.

1. NextGenPirate Member

Julian Assange given bail!!!

Julian Assange has been given bail today. He is under very strict conditions that he must wear an elctronic tag, be registered to an address, check with the police every night and has several custody.

He was given bail due to £240,000 ($380,000) being put up as a guarantee by several supporters. Notably anons.

Great sucess but he is still fighting extradition to Sweden.

"I dissagree with everything you say but I would defend to death your right to say it"
  2. UMULAS Member

Re: Julian Assange given bail!!!

FTW!!!!
  3. Re: Julian Assange given bail!!!

I hear there are 2 hours appeal possibility?
  4. deorcnys Member

BBC just said Sweden is not going to appeal. Anyone got a spare $360,000 in cash?
  5. NextGenPirate Member

He is a "free" man untill the 11th of January when a extradion hearing will be held. Hope he has a merry Christmas outside of prision.

I forgot to mention earlier, he has also had his AUSTRALIAN passport confiscated by the BRITISH government. Can they do that?

"I dissagree with everything you say but I would defend to death your right to say it"
  6. themadhair Member

Assange is still in jail, and will be until at least Thursday.
  7. deorcnys Member

Nope got to wait until 5:15 to find out Swedish position.
  8. Anonymous Member

They can.
    Ought they to? Unsure, but when people get arrested and put into jail they often get everything of theirs confiscated. Frequently they don't get things back either.
  9. NextGenPirate Member

Thanks anonymous Anon. I really have no clue when it comes to legal matters.

10. AnonLegon Member

I just saw that news on /b/
    I don't have TV so i need to look for news and articals online.
  11. NextGenPirate Member

12. Anonymous Member

I guess Sweden is just a cocktease.

adf023.jpg

They said nothing about Inga turning the guy in the next day for not calling her. False advertising. Let that be a lesson to all.
  13. Re: Julian Assange given bail!!!

[ OFF TOPIC ] I'm more familiar with this quote, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." [ / OFF TOPIC ]
  14. Anonymous Member

Swedish Prosecutor Raises Possible Extradition of WikiLeaks Founder to U.S.

Swedish Prosecutor Raises Possible Extradition of WikiLeaks Founder to U.S.

15. Jinkii Member

he is still in custody, i have said this three times already, the swedish prosecutor has appealed it and he is locked up for the next 48hrs until a hearing at the high court
  16. Re: Julian Assange given bail!!!

This whole fucking situation stinks.

Can anyone here explain to me just how, legally, a man who hasn't been charged with anything, can be being held in solitary confinement 23 hours a day without any access to books, letters, phone calls and even legal documents? This is Wandsworth Prison ffs, not fucking Gitmo
  17. Anonymous Member

Didn't he request the solitary confinement himself?
  18. Re: Julian Assange given bail!!!

Independent Swedish judiciary

Probable Cause

Belief among civilized countries that crimes of sexual violence are serious

Interpol vetting

British due process
  19. Re: Julian Assange given bail!!!

Typical. I bet you they win, the UK justice system is getting hammered at the moment.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the american government is adding pressure to keep him on lock down.
  20. Darkduck Member

further off topic, the saying comes from Voltaire and it actually was "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

back on topic though.
    I feel this is a good sign for Julian, it shows that the justic system might just have enough in it to work. and given hte stnace of the lawyer of late it seems unlikely that the justic system can go against Julian.

that being said, who knows the real motives behind this action and when it comes to the crunch, will the UK be bold enough to be a bastian for Truth and Justic or be an American pupet. I hope not for the UK's sake.
  21. Anonymous Member

No. It stinks. (I think,IANAL)

If there is sufficient evidence of a crime, the Swedish prosecutor could bring charges against Assange in absentia, and then request his extradition to face those charges in court.

As things stand, Assange is being held in prison without charge, in the UK. There is a limit to how long a person can be held without charge in the UK, which has already passed. (Anti-terrorist laws provide for a longer period, but no UK authority has suggested this, as far as we know).

IMHO, Assange should be a free man - without any sureties or other restrictions. But perhaps we have a sooper-expert UK Lawfag who knows better?
  22. Anonymous Member

£10.000 is bail, hell even £50.000 could be considered bail. £240.000 is a fuckin ransom.

Seriously, that is a shitload of cash.
  23. Aztook Member

anyone want to start the donations?
    really though, here we are, sitting around discussing and complaining about it all, really think something should be done, something big!
  24. timid sparrow Member

yes, I agree

I been thinking about this.

If we had some swedish anons, perhaps we could start digging some information about the swedish prosecutors and once we get some juicy tidbits, start tweeting and facebooking

We could collect money for an ad in the swedish paper and have it say

"To those who know, Go on, you know you want to...

you have information about (and then make a little list relating to the swedish court system"

Then tell them how to leak without getting caught. We can have them send it direct to wikileaks and wikileaks can send to press

or something along those lines. Get people thinking about helping.

But I think getting stuff on those that are trying this stuff on wikileaks and twittering about it would be good.

the other thing is to start considering boycots and promoting boycots. boycot going to sweden, boycot swedish products.

I don't know. I'm so outraged I can't think straight!!
  25. timid sparrow Member

regarding getting stuff on the swedish prosecutors, with the idea that after everything is known about them, no one will want to deal with them. kinda like scientology. Ridicule, expose, etc.
  26. Aztook Member

scentology is the new Nazis...just sayin...
    anyways those are all good ideas that could work vary well if we have people who know how to dig deep. everyone has something to hide.
  27. Anonymous Member

if he were not so damned high-profile, the computers usually say who goes and who stays...
  28. Anonymous Member

^chaos?
  29. Anonymous Member

Bail is set based not only on the severity of the crime but also the potential risk of flight. And anyone who thinks Assange isn't a GIANT flight risk is deluding themselves.
  30. Anonymous Member

Save your cash. Several high profile celeb types have already offered to help him out. Michael Moore has offered $20,000. Others will follow suit, including those who stepped up when he was first arrested.
  31. timid sparrow Member

I'm just looking at the situation. The powers that be seem to either

1. Want to make an example
    2. Show how powerful they are
    3. Use this as a false flag incident

there's probably some other reasons as well

But US politicians seems to really have a bug up their arses about this, and the thing that is upsetting them appears to be that they are losing control to the little guy. They must stop this. And they must stop being exposed.

As anonymous, what are things we could do to totally expose them more? relentlessly?

I mean we could take a person or idea a week and focus like fuck on that and just get that out.

Maybe start with some of the weaker links and soften them first.

We need to get more of the US population behind this and ROAR - enough is enough!

how can we do this?
  32. SOJOA Member

I got an email and Michael Moore pitched in $20,000 and promised more for the trial.
  33. timid sparrow Member

yes, and there are others. He is also willing to support wikileaks

the bail money is there, but it was given in checks, they want cash, this is going to take a few days to organize
  34. SOJOA Member

sigh that post two above me wasnt up before i posted sorry
  35. NextGenPirate Member

Thanks. i took it straight from a interveiw in the times with Volitious. I prefer what you posted, sounds better thanks.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
  36. AnonyVix Member

Did someone miss this: Sweden is appealing bail.

BBC News - Wikileaks founder Assange bailed, but release delayed

Read the bail conditions, surrender passport, wear a tracer tag, follow curfew at home address. Fairly normal for a moderate flight risk person in UK AFAIK. He isn't going anywhere.
  37. NextGenPirate Member

If all fails what is the maximum prision sentence he could get?
  38. Anonymous Member

Gitmo
  39. Rockyj Member

Public Citizen is a national, nonprofit public interest advocacy organization based in Washington, D.C. For more information:

Public Citizen Home Page

You can listen to Robert Weissman he's going to be a guest on the Norman Gloldman Show NOW.

The Norman Goldman Show : Where Justice is Served