Customize

John Sweeney's book 'Church of Fear: Inside the Weird World of Scientology'

Discussion in 'Media' started by Anonymous, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Random guy Member

Very good review, I need to go order the book.
  2. RolandRB Member

I hope it gets broadly read. Is there any way we can track approximate numbers of sales?
  3. Anonymous Member

Amazon sales-rank provides a rough proxy.

Right now it's doing well.

It's a logarithmic scale BTW.
  4. AnotherSock Member

Generate some buzz about the book. Twitter, etc., or anything else you can think of. Sweeney is active on Twitter and would seem to be a good person to do a favour to. Reviews could also be written on Amazon, or at least liked/disliked as appropriate. Also, buy it. Only £4 as an ebook.

The cult seem to be in denial - no reaction to publication that I can detect. Is Karin Pouw in hiding already?
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. DeathHamster Member

She was already in hiding. If she was any more in hiding, she'd be bedding down in a cardboard box in the back of the Trementia vault.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. YouSeeNothing Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ts-claims-BBC-rant-reporter-John-Sweeney.html

Story continues at link.

I wonder if Obama realizes that the cult is a holocaust denier.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. OTeleventy Member

I am in the middle of reading his book right now, and, tho I will hold my full review until I'm done, I will say this: I am finding it pretty gripping and the "sci'gy leaks" parts are extra interesting. Many of you know way more than me, having followed this for years, but I've been reading alot for the last 2+ and I hadn't heard of this. So far, most of the stories are those I've seen or read, but the "sci'gy leaks" stuff adds an extra layer of the creepy factor, if that's possible. And the chapter on their whatchamacallit "Psychiatry Industry of Death" was, for some reason, very hard for me to read. Disturbing.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Horseradish Member

Read it in one day.
    Agreed the leak convos are gripping, and the CoS expo disturbing. So now we know what mister Cruise means when he says 'i know the history of psychiatry...'
    Will review when back from Timbuktu (Amazon app does not seem to support)
  9. Anonymous Member

Pardon my ignorance, I'm in the US, so I logon to amazon.com -though if I choose to I can log on to amazon.co.uk. If you cannot DL the book to a kindle or kindle app because you don't have one and want a print format, that could be your trouble. I believe the book was only to be published digitally, at least initially. if you must have print, there may be a wait.
  10. Anonymous Member

11. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. Anonymous Member

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Anonymous Member

I think I'm going to start all of my posts with "I was sorry then and I'm sorry now."
  14. RightOn Member

I like that they ran footage of COS to the left when they were interviewing him
  15. Anonymous Member

Last night's launch party:

QCyT4.jpg

He loved the Vulture Minister shirts.
    • Like Like x 8
  16. White Tara Global Moderator

Envy, envy i'm full of envy!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Nice.
    It's good to see a bro,i havn't seen in a while in the pic.
  18. That picture looks like Sweeney is signing a real book.
  19. Anonymous Member

THERE WAS A LAUNCH PARTY?

NOBODY TOLD ME THERE WAS A LAUNCH PARTY!

/r/ redo
  20. Anonymous Member

One of those guys looks out of place. Oh, it's the guy with the hat!
  21. RightOn Member

ha ha! excellent!
  22. Just looking on Amazon and John's book is showing not released until 1 July 2013 - anyone else seeing this or is it just me for some reason?
  23. The Wrong Guy Member

24. wolfbane Member

Kindle Price: $5.44 includes free wireless delivery via Amazon Whispernet
    Publication Date: January 7, 2013
  25. RolandRB Member

Where was the launch party held?
  26. Anonymous Member

ohai, OSA.
  27. RightOn Member

the Freewinds
  28. Anonymous Member

How many times is it necessary to post this?

I want the drugs you people are on.
  29. Anonymous Member

Vistaril- syphoned from L Ron's butt!
  30. booski Member

I am very fortunate to be receiving a signed copy in the near future thanks to a friend who was at the book launch (you know who you are!). Can't wait to devour it.
  31. jensting Member

Not much of one in the UK - I got both, and my print copy is apparently on its way. To a UK address (so much for OSA UK being effective, or maybe they tried really hard and just couldn't quite get there - I'm sure David "he is NOT insane" Miscavie will sympathise).

But waiting for months in Aus sucks - agreed
  32. jensting Member

I'm green with envy (at you friend who went to the launch). I wanted to wear a straw trilby there, but I was out of town :(
  33. afternon Member

Got my book today!

Really wish I'd been at the signing- hopefully will manage to see John Sweeney sometime- the guy's fearless!
  34. Anonymous Member

Anonymous (and Amazon) delivers
  35. DodoTheLaser Member

Excellent, honest book. Almost finished reading it. The whole cult premise is clear and obvious.
    There is "Obnosis" term in scientology, that stands for "Observation of obvious". The book does just that.
    Ironically, not in favor of scientology. Thank you JS.
    • Like Like x 2
  36. jensting Member

37. Anonymous Member

Needs more tagging.
  38. Anonymous Member

John Alex Wood (johnalexwood) also uploaded the original video of Sweeney shouting to YouTube: youtube.com/watch?v=hxqR5NPhtLI