Customize

Jim Conte and Thomas O'Mara want to ban Anonymous speech online in New York

Discussion in 'Freedom of Expression' started by Incredulicide, May 23, 2012.

1. Incredulicide Member

Republican AssemblymanJim Conte said, '[this] turns the spotlight on cyberbullies by forcing them to reveal their identity.' Republican Senator Thomas O'Mara added, '[this will] help lend some accountability to the Internet age.' The two are sponsoring a bill that would ban any New York-based websites from allowing comments (or well, anything) to be posted unless the person posting it attaches their name to it. But the bill also goes further, saying New York-based websites, such as blogs and newspapers, must 'remove any comments posted on his or her website by an anonymous poster unless such anonymous poster agrees to attach his or her name to the post.'

Here's the Bill: http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?default_fld=&bn=S06779&term=2011&Text=Y
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Anonymous Member

OP title reads incorrectly... should be "anonymous", lower case.
    < Not a Grammar Nazi.
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  3. DeathHamster Member

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. anon walker Moderator

The irony of a politician who sucks off the very system anonymous writings spurred to develop is kind of sick-making.

Fucking oppressive, totalitarian bastards! First they'll redefine free speech. Then they'll destroy it in the name of preserving it. And all teh little sheeple will say moo.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Herro Member

Seems to me that their hearts are in the right place and they're addressing something important- accountability. It should hardly be surprising to anybody that the lack of accountability provided by online anonymity can make anti social and harmful behavior more likely by reducing the consequences of engaging in such behavior. It also makes it harder to hold individuals responsible for their behavior which is vital to any kind of society whether you're talking about enforcement of the law or even just enforcement of social norms.

The problem with this proposal is that it's a classic case of tossing the baby out with the bathwater. It would do more harm than good and so I would hope that such a law is not passed. However it would be wrong, and quite frankly absurd, to just assume that anyone trying to find ways to deal with the negative consequences of online anonymity is just some fascist looking to destroy free speech. They don't have the right solution, but that doesn't make the problem they've identified any less real.

PS, since when do sheep go "moo?"
    • Old Old x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  6. Anonymous Member

Me first. This will not end well.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Anonymous Member

Since man created cowsheep.....
    3652283822_7b854d4071.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. adhocrat Member

Amazing what a keen grasp of the Constitution these elected officials have.
    I rather doubt they'd pass the test given to immigrants to earn their citizenship.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. When will it fucking end...
    • Old Old x 2
  10. adhocrat Member

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. CarterUSP Member

Yeah, good luck with that, ew York lawmakers. Because I'm sure nobody in the whole world would CREATE A FALSE NAME ON THE INTERNET.
  12. PresidentShaw Member

lol russia today
  13. Anonymous Member

What about Russia?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. HOC Member

Threads merged. :)
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1