Customize

Jeff Harris files class-action lawsuit against Scientology and Narconon alleging fraud

Discussion in 'Narconon' started by The Wrong Guy, Jun 4, 2013.

1. BigBeard Member

COB will be on a plane for Bulgravia before he let's himself be deposed again.

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Anonymous Member

He can't even spell Bulgravia. I think he'll settle to make this go away so he doesn't have to.

Then again, I wonder if there is any way to track Cruise's private plane? Anyone got the tail number?
  3. RightOn Member

"RTC and the other defendants — the Association for Better Living and Education, Narconon International, and Narconon Georgia — have all filed motions to dismiss the lawsuit."

shocking! :rolleyes:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jensting Member

Looking for the inevitable appeals to make it all the way to the Supreme Court...

BTW, has anyone looked if the e-mails leaked by Luke and Eric are in the exhibits? (I seem to recall they should be relevant, but I haven't been tracking the minute details.)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DeathHamster Member

As I recall, the tracking sites no longer list his plane. (There's bound to be an old old thread about that.)
  6. RightOn Member

some info:

Tom Cruise – this successful actor owns luxurious airplanes like his $100,000 Aviat – Pitts S-2B, a $1.2 million Beech F90 and a $28 million-plus Gulfstream IV jet.
    http://community.warplanes.com/2010/03/30/airplanes-and-jets-the-ride-of-the-rich-and-famous/

and JT
    John Travolta – Mr. Travolta acquired his customized Boeing 707 as part of a Qantas promotion; as an honorary pilot of the company, he personally flew the Australian soccer team to Germany for the 2006 World Cup. His 707 is registered under “Jett Clipper Johnny LLC.” He also owns a Grumman – G-1159 and a Beech – V35B
    • Like Like x 1
  7. RightOn Member

8. Anonymous Member

9. RightOn Member

10. RightOn Member

FAA Registry for N808T

Serial Number 1342 Status Valid
    Manufacturer Name GULFSTREAM AEROSPACE Certificate Issue Date 09/11/1998
    Model G-IV Expiration Date 07/31/2015
    Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Multi-Engine Type Engine Turbo-fan
    Pending Number Change None Dealer No
    Date Change Authorized None Mode S Code (base 8 / oct) 52600476
    MFR Year None Mode S Code (base 16 / hex) AB013E
    Type Registration Corporation Fractional Owner NO

Registered Owner

Name ODIN AVIATION INC
    Street C/O AVJET CORP
    4301 EMPIRE AVE
    City BURBANK State CALIFORNIA
    County LOS ANGELES Zip Code 91505
    Country UNITED STATES

Airworthiness

Engine Manufacturer Unknown Classification Unknown
    Engine Model Unknown Category None
    A/W Date None

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=808T
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Anonymous Member

Would it be in bad taste to bring up R2-45?
  12. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  13. The Wrong Guy Member

Here’s Jeff Harris’s statement about the deal that shut down Narconon Georgia:

On behalf of the Desmonds I’m glad this place is shut down. Every person who went to Narconon of Georgia was risking their lives and their recovery. It has been a long hard slog that all began with the completely preventable death of a fantastic young man who was loved by everyone he encountered. The strength and courage displayed by his parents made me incredibly proud to represent them. I also had the pleasure of representing Mary Morton, who along with the Desmond’s played a major role in Narconon’s downfall. She is as tough as they come. When Mary Rieser crossed Mary Morton, she sealed Narconon of Georgia’s fate.

I seriously doubt they will ever open again in Georgia, and if they try we will all be there ready to remind the State licensing authorities about the past. It is a lot easier to deny a license than to rescind one. This victory (and I know there are those unhappy about certain aspects of the deal, but it is a victory) was largely brought on by the amazing press coverage this story received in Atlanta. Pete Combs, who is a true journalist in a world filled with Sean Hannity-like blowhards, Christian Boone, and Jodie Fleischer all worked on numerous stories that pulled the veil off what Narconon was really doing. I suppose that’s the formula for now getting rid of the rest of these places: Tough committed citizens, unrelenting legal action, and journalists acting like journalists should. I suspect there is more to come. Danny Porter is a very savvy DA.

Now Godspeed to my friend and brother trial lawyer Gary Richardson in Oklahoma. Arrowhead is next.

The full article with open comments is here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2013/09/27/fe...vation-based-on-narconon-georgias-misconduct/
    • Like Like x 8
  14. Anonymous Member

Jeff Harris is picking a fight with Scientology! Lol.

Georgia is Florida's hat. I wonder if he has ever considered getting licensed down there, and chasing Narconon out of Clearwater like he's done in Atlanta...
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Anonymous Member

I seriously doubt they will ever open again in Georgia, and if they try we will all be there
    • Like Like x 4
  16. RightOn Member

I like this a whole lot
    • Like Like x 1
  17. The Wrong Guy Member

Federal judge dismisses Georgia class-action lawsuit against Scientology and rehab network

Federal District Judge Steve C. Jones (pictured, right) has dismissed a class-action lawsuit against Scientology and its drug rehab network, Narconon, that was filed by seven plaintiffs last June.

Atlanta attorney Jeff Harris filed the lawsuit on behalf of seven people who said they had been defrauded by Narconon Georgia, a troubled drug rehab center that gave up its license last year as a way to escape prosecution in a deal with a district attorney. That investigation included a raid of the facility, and is ongoing.

Harris filed the class-action lawsuit in a Georgia state court, but Scientology had it removed to federal court and then filed motions to dismiss on behalf of all four defendants — Narconon Georgia, the facility’s parent organization Narconon International, the drug rehab network’s parent the Association for Better Living and Education (ABLE), and Scientology’s nominally controlling entity the Religious Technology Center (RTC), which oversees ABLE and the rest of the Scientology movement.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2014/02/21/fe...ainst-scientology-and-its-drug-rehab-network/
  18. wolfbane Member

• Like Like x 1
  19. RightOn Member

fuckity fuck fuckerson
    Judge is clueless. Another step backwards.
    Hope the appeal cleans up this mess
    • Like Like x 1
  20. 008

This makes my fucking blood boil.

IANAL at all so hope some legal fags can pipe in here.

If the judge goes as far as ordering that the defendants' court costs are to be paid, that sounds lopsided as hell in favor of the cult. With the legal bills the cult runs up, this could be, what, in the hundreds of thousands?

So do the plaintiffs need to pay the court costs first and then appeal? And if they don't have to pay yet, what if they lose the appeal - does that mean they would need to pay for the defendant costs of the appeal too?
    • Like Like x 2
  21. koki Member

this is why I think : it is stupid to have some "attorneys" comment on cases... one never knows what $cio attorneys will pull out and one never knows what will be judges decision.... it is like a lottery... and then there is always someone who writes : I told you so..... we may hate cult attorneys, but they are doing good job for people who pays them.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  22. You have an intresting argument. But if a case could be harmed by commentary on it, than it is a weak case to begin with.

And to the downvoters, Stop it.
    • Like Like x 3
  23. RightOn Member

sick and tired of this CSI, RTC bullshit
    When are people going to realize it's all the same ball of shit?
    Obviously this judge never saw that picture produced by Scientology with all the yellow arrows going out to all their front groups or the other picture of the bridge where it shows that Narconon leads to Scientology
    Perhaps he needs to see these.
    After all these pictures were created by the cult themselves and it shows without a shadow of a doubt the huge connection that its all the same ball of shit
    • Like Like x 2
  24. 468

If only stupid Jeff Harris had shown the judge that image!!!!!
  25. DeathHamster Member

Or else the lawyers' class-action case was weak, sloppy and fuzzy and deserved to be shot down until they do their homework.

That's why commentary from other lawyers is good.
    • Like Like x 3
  26. RightOn Member

I was not calling Jeff Harris stupid or saying that those images could have saved the case. :confused:
    But it befuddles me how anyone can look at those two images and not think that Narconon = Scientology
    • Like Like x 3
  27. AnonKat Member

• Like Like x 1
  28. kthnxbai Member

This is a pity but one can see there was sloppy legal work. You don't just need to be right and have evidence to prove it; you need to have all your evidence lined up and all so legally correct and water-tight that any judge can immediately see you are right. You need to anticipate all the problems and tricky questions before they arise.

Once one person gets it right then it gives a precedent. But a class action may not be the best way of tackling Scientology (or so I read the other day). Too many variables from case to case.
    • Like Like x 3
  29. Maybe Harris and team will have better luck with the appeal. It's on!
  30. The Wrong Guy Member

Jeff Harris won’t give up the class action

By Tony Ortega

We haven’t spoken with Atlanta attorney Jeff Harris since a federal court dismissed the class action he filed on behalf of seven former patients of Scientology’s drug rehab network, Narconon. It was an ambitious lawsuit, aimed not only at the local Narconon facility but also Scientology itself. We had heard that Harris would be appealing the court’s decision. Our legal experts told us that although Judge Steve C. Jones seemed harsh in his dismissal, the grounds seemed to be mostly technical in nature. Anyway, we noticed that Harris has filed a notice of appeal, and we’re interested in seeing what brief he subsequently files. For now, here’s the notice of appeal.

http://tonyortega.org/2014/04/03/we...r-his-exact-height-and-heres-what-he-told-us/
    • Like Like x 3
  31. kthnxbai Member

Good idea but I think it is a non-starter. I used to be able to do this, and John Travolta's jets, but after all the visible and very suggestive activity when Jett died they took them all off the tracking system. I haven't looked for a long time but it wasn't difficult.
  32. kthnxbai Member

Tom's Gulfstream is N808T
    John Travolta's Boeing is N707JT

There is news of the introduction of an anti-privacy rule, so private owners can be tracked like commercial flights. But not yet, I don't think.
    • Like Like x 2
  33. The Wrong Guy Member

DOX: The appeal to restore the class-action lawsuit against Scientology’s rehab network

By Tony Ortega

We’ve been telling you about numerous lawsuits aimed at Narconon, Scientology’s drug rehab network, in various parts of the country. In Oklahoma, former prosecutor Gary Richardson is handling more than ten lawsuits against Narconon Arrowhead, the network’s flagship facility. In Michigan, an attorney named Jeff Ray is suing rehab centers there that are owned or run by a man named Per Wickstrom. In Nevada, California, and Oregon, seven federal lawsuits have been filed in a short amount of time by Las Vegas attorney Ryan Hamilton.

But one of the most intriguing legal salvos against Narconon came from an attorney in Georgia named Jeff Harris. After he handled a wrongful death lawsuit regarding the overdose of a patient at an Atlanta-area facility (that suit was settled) Harris then went looking for other people who said they were harmed by Narconon Georgia (which has since been closed in a deal with a county prosecutor).

The lawsuit appeared to be one of the most far-reaching, which was reflected in a lengthy, detailed complaint. But Judge Steve C. Jones disagreed that Harris had followed the proper guidelines for the lawsuit, and granted Scientology’s motion to dismiss.

Harris vowed to appeal, saying that he felt Judge Jones had dismissed the suit on technical grounds that could easily be addressed in an amended complaint. Now, in a detailed pleading, Harris explains that Judge Jones erred in several ways, and he’s hoping the appellate court will restore the lawsuit.

Lawyer types in the Bunker: We’d love to hear your analysis of this document.

http://tonyortega.org/2014/05/13/do...n-lawsuit-against-scientologys-rehab-network/
    • Like Like x 3
  34. RightOn Member

that's right! sue them one by one people!
    A class action lawsuit wouldn't make the COS as nervous money wise. A class action lawsuit would actually cost them less. It's been proven with big corporations.
    Although a class action lawsuit may bring more attention, if people are suing them one by one that will cave them in more financially. (well not completely)
    • Like Like x 2
  35. Random guy Member

Narconon has a few hounds baying at heir backs now, this looks promising!

Suing the mother cult directly has so far not produced the results we have all been hoping for. Some of the suits of Narconon have however resulted in what we believe to be sizeable settlements. This may be the way to go.
    • Like Like x 4
  36. jensting Member

and once the lawyers start channeling evidence concerning economic entanglement between narCONon and the criminal organisation known as the "church" of $ientology to the right places, things will get interesting. We can probably also rely on the local narCONon using the same playbook that was such a success - ultimately - when narCONon GA was found to be willfully lying to the court. And all of this eventually has to be "handled" by one person, Captain David "he is NOT insane!" Miscavige since no-one else can, and he can only do so many cases (and the ones he does do are all regarding keeping him out of a deposition during the next few months).
    • Like Like x 4
  37. fishypants Moderator

The mother cult is a co-defendant in the Hamilton lawsuits I think.
    • Like Like x 1
  38. The Wrong Guy Member

The Georgia class-action Narconon lawsuit: Scientology counters

Last month, we told you that Atlanta attorney Jeff Harris is trying to resurrect his federal class-action lawsuit against Narconon by appealing its dismissal by a district court.

Now, Scientology has answered his appeal brief with three of its own. US District Judge Steve C. Jones had dismissed the lawsuit because it didn’t properly present plausible claims for relief, so in Scientology’s briefs, they’re hammering that same point. In other words, Judge Jones was right, they say. In addition, the Religious Technology Center (RTC), Scientology’s nominally controlling entity, is saying that the district court doesn’t have jurisdiction over it (a common Scientology refrain). If you spot anything unusual in these documents let us know, but they seem pretty standard to us. The burden is really on Harris to convince the appeals court that Jones erred when he dismissed the lawsuit.

More at
    http://tonyortega.org/2014/06/21/ry...entologys-drug-rehab-and-other-legal-updates/
    • Like Like x 5
  39. The Wrong Guy Member

Jeff Harris answers Scientology in the Georgia class-action lawsuit

As you’ll recall, Jeff Harris, the Atlanta attorney who handled the Patrick Desmond wrongful death lawsuit for the Desmond family, followed up that lawsuit (which settled) with a class-action involving several other former patients of Scientology’s drug rehab facility in the area, Narconon Georgia.

That rehab center closed down in a deal with the state amid allegations of insurance and credit card fraud, and it looked like a sitting duck for Harris’s lawsuit. But the class-action lawsuit was dismissed in February by federal district judge Steve C. Jones.

Harris appealed, Scientology answered the appeal, and now Harris has filed a response to Scientology’s answer. Give it a look and let us know if you think he’s got a shot of resurrecting this suit in the federal courts.

http://tonyortega.org/2014/07/05/jo...ogist-and-a-friend-to-the-underground-bunker/
    • Like Like x 2