Customize

Jeff Harris files class-action lawsuit against Scientology and Narconon alleging fraud

Discussion in 'Narconon' started by The Wrong Guy, Jun 4, 2013.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

CLASS-ACTION LAWSUIT ALLEGING FRAUD FILED AGAINST SCIENTOLOGY AND NARCONON

By Tony Ortega

This morning, attorney Jeff Harris filed a blockbuster class-action lawsuit that alleges fraud and civil racketeering endemic to Scientology’s drug rehab program, Narconon.

With seven plaintiffs included and more to come, the lawsuit not only names Narconon Georgia and its umbrella non-profit corporations — Narconon International and the Association of Better Living and Education — but also the Religious Technology Center, the Church of Scientology’s controlling entity.

This suit, more than others before it, aims to connect Scientology and Narconon in a relationship of deceit: “The Defendants direct staff members and salespeople to lie about, misrepresent, or otherwise conceal Narconon’s connection to Scientology.”

Continued at http://tonyortega.org/2013/06/04/cl...fraud-filed-against-scientology-and-narconon/
    • Like Like x 12
  2. The Wrong Guy Member

Tony has added this to the article:

Here is Narconon Georgia’s statement to Pete Combs:

The lawsuit has not been served. However, from what we understand, this case lacks merit and is simply an attempt to obtain money from a non-profit dedicated to helping address this nation’s drug epidemic. Drug addiction destroys lives and anyone who has dealt with drug addicts knows the depths to which they have sunk in terms of health, mental instability and in many cases criminality. It can be a long hard road back. In the face of this harsh fact of life, scores of successful Narconon graduates and their families attest that the program has transformed and saved lives through recovery and sobriety. Narconon of Georgia has served the Atlanta community for the past decade offering drug education, prevention and rehabilitation services.

— Narconon of Georgia attorney Brian McEvoy

http://tonyortega.org/2013/06/04/cl...fraud-filed-against-scientology-and-narconon/
    • Like Like x 3
  3. jensting Member

• Like Like x 4
  4. Posting at the top of an EPIC THREAD.
  5. Intelligence Member

Ok, 'motor-mouth' Clark Carr, let's see how you 'spin-doctor' this new MASSIVE mess yer' in :)

• Like Like x 7
  6. RightOn Member

did someone mention ABLE and the RTC in that lawsuit?

YES! YES! ohhhhh YES!
    drinking a toast tonight. cheers everyone!

Is this why DM called that "special"meeting? and why he is going to go on an all out reg fest for his fail Ideal Org scam because he knows he needs more cash to fight all these new lawsuits?
    Only time will tell.
    Right now I am basking in the after glow or reading (some) of the lawsuit.
    And kudos to Colin, David, Gary Richardson (the lawyers in this class action case) and to all who have helped to see a lawsuit like this become possible.
    • Like Like x 7
  7. Anonymous Member

8. The Wrong Guy Member

Class action lawsuit calls Narconon rehab a fraud | WSB TV

By Jodie Fleischer

A local drug rehab that's been the subject of a series of Channel 2 Action News investigations is facing new legal trouble. Five families filed a class action lawsuit Tuesday, calling the entire Narconon of Georgia program a fraud.

"The main thing is to stop them from preying on other families in our situation. If we get any reimbursement back that would be wonderful also," said Rhonda Burgess, who enrolled her son, Blaze, in the program in 2011 for his addiction to prescription pain pills.

Her husband, Ben, said Blaze returned in even worse condition, and had tried more dangerous, illegal drugs while in the Narconon program.

"There's nothing but fraud happening there. It's all about making money it's not about helping anyone," said Ben Burgess.

The alleged drug treatment included written courses in Scientology, spending five hours a day in a sauna, and megadoses of the vitamin, niacin. The family is still paying for the program.

<snip>

Tune in to Channel 2 Action News at 6 for the complete story.

More at www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/class-action-lawsuit-calls-narconon-rehab-fraud/nYBTZ/
    • Like Like x 10
  9. The Wrong Guy Member

Narconon of Georgia / Narconon International | Harris Penn Lowry, LLP

Harris Penn Lowry has filed a class action lawsuit against Narconon of Georgia (“NNGA”) and Narconon International, on behalf of NNGA patients, their families, and others who have paid money to NNGA to obtain drug or alcohol rehabilitation services.

We represent people who relied on the following misrepresentations when choosing to enroll a patient in the NNGA program:

- that NNGA was a properly licensed, "in-patient," residential facility;

- that NNGA had a success rate of over 70%;

- that NNGA's detoxification program would remove drug residues and other toxic substances from the patient's body;

- that NNGA provided a drug-free environment;

- that NNGA provided a drug and alcohol rehabilitation and treatment; and

- that NNGA employed properly trained staff.

Harris Penn Lowry is continuing to investigate these claims. If you, or a member of your family, attended any Narconon facility and believe that you may have information that is helpful, please contact Harris Penn Lowry using the form below. Similarly, if you believe that you were misled or harmed in any way, please contact us in the same manner.

There is no charge or obligation for our review of your potential claim.

More at www.hpllegal.com/narconon-class-action
    • Like Like x 9
  10. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 4
  11. Anonymous Member

reported for merge
  12. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 4
  13. Anonymous Member

14. This is massive. I wonder how many people will come forward. We should start a pool. I think 50
    • Like Like x 2
  15. The Wrong Guy Member

Civil action suit filed against Narconon | WSB Radio

By Pete Combs

Besieged by allegations of credit card and insurance fraud, negligence and even a wrongful death, Narconon of Georgia is now the focus of a class action lawsuit filed by families of patients who say they were bamboozled and left heartbroken by the Scientology-based drug rehab program.

“They’re [a total scam],” said attorney Jeff Harris, who filed the suit Tuesday on behalf of seven people and their families – eleven victims in all – who claim they were defrauded by Narconon of Georgia.

The 41-page lawsuit accuses Narconon of Georgia of fraud, deceptive practices and negligence. It also names the Religious Technology Center, Inc. (RTC); the Association for Better Living and Education International (ABLE); and Narconon International as defendants.

“These are organizations that lead from the Church of Scientology to Narconon of Georgia. Through these organizations, the church controls every action of Narconon of Georgia and other facilities like it around the country,” Harris said.

Continued at www.wsbradio.com/news/news/civil-action-suit-filed-against-narconon/nYBxC/

Also: Read more about Pete Combs’ investigation of Narconon.
    • Like Like x 6
  16. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 7
  17. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 6
  18. LOL^

Oh, I'm sure Miscavige will be able to get a hold of some Scotch in prison… so long as he's willing to suck cawks.
  19. rickybobby Member

Oh, the depositions! Let's see... DM himself, of course, but what about the President, Heber? Shouldn't he have to appear for a depo too? Ha!

I wonder how much money it would take to settle this, and if COB would pay it? His worst nightmare is to be deposed, and he would pay a lot of money or leave the country to avoid it, I bet.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. anonsoldier Member

Must post in epic thread!! This is made of so much win. I cannot wait to see how this plays out.
    • Like Like x 1
  21. BigBeard Member

Blood in the water...

Once attorneys in other states pick up on RTC/ABLE controling all narCONons in the U.S., I expect the class actions to go nationwide. Especially if they take a peak at ABLE's IRS Form 990's and see that $5-million CD they're sitting on.

Speaking of the IRS, I wonder if anyone there is getting a clue about how "non-profit" narCONon actually is??

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 6
  22. RightOn Member

So Travolta stops by and crashes a couple's wedding. He met the couple in a bar the night before.
    He just happened to be in GEORGIA.
    hmmmmmm
    Wonder why he was in Georgia? They said to possibly donate one of his planes.
    Maybe damage control on this lawsuit? or to schmooze with some judges?
    tin foil yes, just odd that he just happened to be in Georgia.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/06/05/john-travolta-wedding-crasher-photo-georgia/?adid=hero3
    • Like Like x 2
  23. wolfbane Member

In addition to the glorious naming of RTC in this class action (I CAME), the "Factual Allegations" section of the complaint, starting on pg 10, is truly a beautiful sight to behold.

http://www.hpllegal.com/images/docs/NNGA_Class_Complaint_6.4.13.pdf

I <3 <3 <3 how it only takes one page to get to the juicy stuff (pg 11) regarding Narconon being "The Bridge to The Bridge" and Hubbard forbidding open debate of Scientology and deviation from source. Then on pg13 and later I like how Harris uses testimony from a Dr. Louis A Casal, a medical expert retained by Narconon Int and Narconon of GA in a different case, to debunk their bullshit... with their own expert! Oh the lulz. If only that Exhibit A deposition from Casal was attached! (pant pant)
    • Like Like x 6
  24. McLOVIN_1982 Member

25. wolfbane Member

26. McLOVIN_1982 Member

Your welcome..... google is a wonderful thing! :D
  27. wolfbane Member

• Like Like x 4
  28. McLOVIN_1982 Member

29. Anonymous Member

bloodinthewater.jpg?w=640&amp;h=398.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Random guy Member

The Desmond case brought us all kinds of delicious dox, and with the internet, they are not going to be forgotten or go away.

Nice, nice, nice!
    • Like Like x 2
  31. wolfbane Member

I'm still plowing through this, but at 2/3rds of the way through it I think I have a mild concussion from all the facepalms. My eyes must have glazed over when the motherload of Patrick Desmond dox was unleashed such that I didn't fully grasp what I was looking at when I previously skimmed through this one since it was at the end of the list. But holy mother of Xenu this Doctor was/is a complete idiot. Narconon picked a real winrar here, and props to Mr. Harris for the way he handled him.

For those who have the patience to shuffle through the 4 on 1 transcript pages, the comedy circus of errors in this document it is well worth it. Dude's mouth just goes in circles and there is so much shit spewed forth from his scattered brain, un-fking-believable. The funniest part is that Narconon paid this asswipe 500/600 dollars an hour, for approximately 80 hours, for his analysis of their program. Srsly.
    • Like Like x 5
  32. McLOVIN_1982 Member

OMG! I am just a few pages into this and can't believe what I am reading.... if this is the kind of expert witness they alway employ, oh the LULZ! :D
    • Like Like x 4
  33. Anonymous Member

So Brian McEvoy is the cult's lawyer?
    Is this him because I would prefer they had someone much more not as connected or something
    http://pview.findlaw.com/view/3247739_1

It looks like he will take cc so he could definitely be be the one
  34. Quentinanon Member

Did OSA want him to fuck the groom in the ass? I wonder what kind of a hold Davey has on Travolta?
    BTW, I like Travolta's faked smile in the photo.
  35. There isn't a single thing that Travolta does not want known (all divulged in a priest/penitent confessional, natch) that Miscavige does not know. Travolta knows that Miscavige knows.

Rathbun could confirm this, but that would be telling.
  36. Anonymous Member

Latest info from RFTTP:
    http://forum.reachingforthetippingpoint.net/index.php/topic,12497.msg32040.html#msg32040

• Like Like x 2
  37. Random guy Member

Thanks for the heads-up! Why do cult want this in federal court?
  38. RightOn Member

more time and more money for the plaintif to spend
    • Like Like x 1
  39. wolfbane Member

I think it's safe to assume there must be some lawfare advantage (laws, precedents or otherwise) that would make for an easier-to-win strategy in some way. But we likely need to see the case play out at the federal level to get a clue as to what that might be.

Meanwhile, a better question might be "how" or rather - what are their grounds for getting it removed to Federal court. And that answer would be "diversity jurisdiction" due to some of the named defendants (ABLE, RTC and Narconon International) being in a different state and multi-state jurisdiction applies.

See:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Removal_jurisdiction
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diversity_jurisdiction
    • Like Like x 5
  40. Anonymous Member

Some speculations:
    - Fed court law has to apply to all states, and in some areas it is more lenient than state law (don't know if this area is though).
    - There may be a few fed court cases the cult are hoping to use as a precedent.

Total speculation and IANAL