Customize

Japanese Chanology Site Back Up: HTML Help Needed

Discussion in 'Resources' started by Trev6, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Trev6 Member

Hey, so... the old xenu.jp site for Japanese Chanology Anons has been gone for a while. The old site admin went AWOL, domain registration expired and was out of my hands, and then some asshole hand cream company or some shit snapped it up before I could raise the necessary funds.

Recently, though, I managed to get my hands on some server space and a subdomain from a friend, so the site has gone back up:

http://xenu.asperities.net

I've done my best to piece the site back together from what it used to be, but I never had proper access to the original files. I had to make do with a static site image saved off the old address before the registration expired. As such, I had to cut a bunch of stuff out like the YouTube embed window and Twitter feed. Maybe these things are simple to set up, I don't know. It's possible that a diarrhetic monkey with Alzheimer's could figure it out, but I don't know shit about HTML and I'd like somebody with experience to help out.

If you know HTML or site design, and can help me go over some HTML to find syntax errors, bad code, and help me put the YouTube and Twitter widgets back in, I'd really appreciate it. I guess I can figure it out on my own eventually, but I'd rather have the site back up at 100% quickly.

Cheers,
    - Trev
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Anonymous Member

Nice going Trev!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Anonymous Member

Looks like you're 99% of the way there already.
  4. Trev6 Member

Well, yes and no. That final 1% is the problem. Every time I try to drop in the HTML code for the Twitter or YouTube widgets, it causes half the page to just... stop existing. I don't know why. I didn't write the original so I have no real idea, but I suspect that there's some kind of problem with the wrong number of brackets, or an unclosed tag, or something. Rather than beat my fists against a brick wall until they break, I'd rather ask somebody who knows what they're doing.

I can provide the site code on request, I just want to figure out why it's acting so weird.
  5. amaX Member

Excellent! I always like to see your posts, Trev! I hope you iron out the kinks soon.
  6. Bump.
    Xenu boards are a very rare beast,good to see one rise from the ashes.
  7. Trev6 Member

ZOMG, holy balls I made it work. Turns out it was just a forward slash being where it shouldn't have been, and also NVU is the shittiest HTML editor every known to man.

http://xenu.asperities.net

Here it is! In all its Web 1.0 glory. Only problem is now, the YouTube widget doesn't like showing up in IE. And before you kick me in the balls, I assure you, most people in Japan still use IE because...

...yeah, so anyway, if anybody knows why it doesn't work in IE, let me know and possibly save me six weeks of pounding my head against the keyboard until inspiration hits again.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Trev6 Member

Apparently, it works perfectly find on IE7 and 9, but on IE10 it doesn't work for shit. I lol'd
  9. Anonymous Member

No wonder, you're using an editor that was last updated in 2005!
    BlueGriffon is its current successor.
  10. another123 Member

I don't use IE#, but noticed you're using the YouTube's default I-frame to embed the video. (I've run into problems on some sites using an I frame).
    Did you try experimenting with the old embed option?
    1) on the embed screen, tick the bottom choice "Use old embed code"
    2) Page will change to old embed html code with choices of size.
    3) cut'n paste that in and see if it solves the problem.
  11. Trev6 Member

Explains a lot. I just looked up "free HTML editors" and grabbed the first one that came along. OH WELL, I guess that's why I'm not a professional web designer. Thanks for the tip.

I'll give that a try, see if it works. I had somebody go over the code and clean it up, hopefully everything'll work smoother from now on.
  12. It looks nice,shame its in a heathen lingo I don't understand.
  13. Trev6 Member

Many things are different in the inscrutable Far East
    lVFJ1OP.jpg
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Anonymous Member

Church of Scientology of Tokyo press release: prweb.com/releases/ChurchofScientology/TruthAboutDrugs/prweb10524972.htm
    • Like Like x 1
  15. gI_93141_tokyo-1.jpg tokyo-2.jpg
  16. fishypants Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  17. Trev6 Member

Very relevant to our interests, thank you.
    • Like Like x 3