Customize

[Jan 15, 2011] Freedom of Information Rally (Atlanta, GA)

Discussion in 'Planning' started by TheIronFocus, Jan 13, 2011.

1. TheIronFocus Member

Greetings fellow anons,

I am currently in the process of assembling a protest for Freedom of Information in the Atlanta area.
    As of this moment i have myself and one other, so we are small with hopes to become huge. Our idea is to not only organize a protest but to change things up a bit. we are currently thinking of stratagies to spread as much information as possible while remaining succinct and to the point.

ie. spliting into small groups of 3-5 and covering a high populated area, rather than holding up at a single corner.

please feel free to throw out new ideas or pm me so we can meet, trade ideas, and get the ball rolling. if I am not the 1st to found a ATL FoI Anon group please also let me know so i can join the existing force and help.

Thank you in advance.
  2. I am voting for 10th Street and West Peachtree which is near 2 news stations and covered regularly. But anywhere is fine; also like the idea of splitting up into groups and educating people.
  3. Anonymous Member

Reach out to everyone you know, start flyering. go to your local college university mall whatever place you will have people.
  4. TheIronFocus Member

@ anon123abc: Thank you for the location

do as ^^ he ^^ says everyone and please enforce paperstorm and bling as much as possible. I am currently doing all i can ( telling friends/family, making copies of fliers, and organizing events as of today). Keep ideas flowing and ill be adding mine as i come up with more.

TheIronFocus/IronAnon
  5. p3q Member

I'm currently trying to get some people together as well, just a question, are we putting on masks? Should we bring anything (signs, etc.)?
  6. TheIronFocus Member

Bring:

* Yourself and your friends! Friends of friends!
    * Signs
    * Flyers
    *H20 and caek
    * Trash bags
    * Good spirits and a cool head
    * Cameras, still and video

Other miscellany:

* Police are notified
    * Masks are illegal, but we've had no problems with sunglasses, hats, wigs, face paint, as long as they don't cover the majority of your face. Choose your disguise/costume with wisdom, and at your own risk.
    * Please contact media.
    * No "honk if ..." or "... hate ..." signs.

Do not park on private property!!!
  7. p3q Member

All right, thanks for the quick reply.

Also I think we should start a Facebook event, that stuff usually spreads like a wildfire.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. TheIronFocus Member

no problem. I'm currently working on a location, if you have one in mind it would be taken into consideration. i should have it up tonight and hopefully we can pull a decent outcome. i have 3-5 in my party alone and i hope any and all participants will bring a friend.
  9. p3q Member

I currently have one or two confirmed, and probably more... I think I might get around 10 people total but I honestly have no idea.

Edit: Make that three.
  10. Willow Member

Currently I am in Brunswick, GA which is quite a bit smaller. Is there anything I can do?
    and most people here are too high on crack to care- sorry if that offends anyone.
  11. EvilOopa Member

Do we have any more information on the actual location?
  12. TheIronFocus Member

PIE 950 West Peachtree is an awesome place where they will be happy to host us. It is right across the sreet from Midtown Marta station next to Marlow's. They are almost always deserted- their restaurant next door, the Prickly Pear gets crowded but not PIE. PIE serrves awesome pizza for around $3 a slice and $7 pitchers of beer
  13. TheIronFocus Member

Im trying to come up with a handful of things we might say to people as we hand them a flyer or try and talk with them:

[intro]
    Hello, Are you aware of what your government is saying/doing in your name?

hello, what do you think about J. Assange and/or wiki leaks?

Do you think freedom of information is important?

this is just the best i could think of off the top of my head, but i hope we can come up with a good opening statement or question that might get people to hear what we have to say or read what we have to offer. ideas?

"I think I would just approach people and ask them if they think Wikileaks is a valuable journalistic outlet."
    -GT Anon (anon123acb)
  14. Windyd Member

I'm a bit young, and I dunno if I can come to downtown (I'm in the burbs), but I love this movement and I fully support it. I love this movement for freedom!
  15. TheIronFocus Member

if you are not old enough at the current time then make some flyers and put them up at schools, parks, malls, any high population area. get a group together of supporters and maybe we can bring something to you one day soon.
  16. TheIronFocus Member

a more precise location is now up, also as you can see we can go inside for fair priced refreshments with a welcoming host.

thanks to anon12345abcdefg we now have a pretty solid meeting ground
  17. toxic_freedom Member

Hey, sorry for waiting till the day just before the event to join in I am actually in Columbus GA and this has been the closest one I have found, I am not actually from this area and have only been here a few months and have problems socializing with the locals (somewhat of a hermit), I recently (due to media attention) have joined in on the serverless forum and had found out about the 15ths event I have not had much time to really know what is going on being that I am a very busy person but i would like to take the time to join you all on this can someone catch me up a bit on what all i will be needing and what exactly would be appropriate, I do not have much but i would like to help any way i can even if that includes just showing up altho i rather not be completely empty handed
  18. NotDerekSmart Member

I'll be there.
  19. dawg1232 Member

I might be able to attend this. I have spread the word like hell though, so I hope some people will attend.
  20. Inononomous Member

yup, ill be there too, looks like we got a nice little crowd getting together.

To anyone that cant attend, but wants to help in ATL and ga in general; print out flyers and handouts and leave them anywhere alot of traffic goes through(schools, post offices, resturaunts, drive through menues, MARTA) I'm also gonna be planning a anti-TSA/FoS&I protest at or around the ATL airport in the next couple months hopefully, i really want to get a huge turnout as this is one of the busiest places in america and is full of people who will spread what they hear to wherever they are travelling.

and of course, paperstorm and bling, just keep switching change for larger bills into smaller ones and you can go all day.
  21. TheIronFocus Member

DONT FORGET ESSENTIALS
    Cash for transportation and food
    Identification in case you’re stopped by police
    Water
    Comfortable shoes
    Seasonal clothing
    A sign or pamphlets
  22. toxic_freedom Member

Ill be there bright and early, I do not really have anything for a sign or for pamphlets, but i do have a decent camera my car and the rest of what is asked. I am living out of a hotel with just my laptop no printer or anything or i would have made hundreds of pamphlets
  23. toxic_freedom Member

Are we suppose to be meeting up at PIE? and anyone know where i can park for a decent price i am coming from about an hour away and have no idea about the area
  24. TheIronFocus Member

im pretty sure there are many many near by parking places i saw one only a few miles away on google maps that cost 3$ a spot.

If anyone is going it alone please send me a PM and i will give you my number and we can find each other quickly.
  25. TheIronFocus Member

i will get there as early as i can so i can find some spots that we can park at and who ever wants my number can meet me at the closest/cheapest place we decide on
  26. MyNameIsBlank Member

I will not be able to make it until around 2 or 3. Will it still be going on then, and if so, where should I meet y'all?
  27. toxic_freedom Member

Hey I am here wandering around pie anyone near I can meet up with