Customize

Is COSRECI a charity in the UK?

Discussion in 'Scientology Property Tax' started by RolandRB, Jun 17, 2010.

1. RolandRB Member

Is COSRECI a charity in the UK?

I have read in many places that by mutual agreements between Australia and the UK that COSRECI is accepted as being a charity in the UK because it is accepted as one in Australia. The more reading I do the more I doubt it. Maybe because it is tax exempt in Australia (where I don't believe it trades) then it is tax exempt in the UK but nowhere do I find written down that COSRECI is a CHARITY in the UK. I need to clear this up for the document I am writing concerning Business Rates belief.

I know that the Church of Scientology England and Wales got turned down in 1999 when making an application to be a charity. Has COSRECI itself applied to be a charity in the UK?

When and if they apply for business rates reduction then are they supplying the paperwork that proves they are a charity in the UK or are they saying they are a charity in Australia or are they just saying they were set up for charitable purposes to the UK Billing authorities?
  2. Anonymous Member

Re: Is COSRECI a charity in the UK?

All UK charities are registered and have a number. A check with the Charity Commission should answer the question. I'd do it but am busy with other matters.
  3. Sponge Member

No it isn't. You already know of the Charity commission ruling from 1999. It is not a registered charity.
    I assume what you are thinking of is perhaps scientology's assertion grown from the statement it quotes in smallprint at the bottom of its UK mailings, brochures, PR etc.....
    http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/7447/winstonchurchill.jpg
    Uh? No mention of "charity" there either.
    It is a non-profit but that doesn't make it a charity or even a de facto charity in the uk, regardless of its tax exempt status under charity law in South Australia**.

**edit: ... for it's other Australian scientology entities (not COSRECI).

Some interesting press:
    ‘Church’ that yearns for respectability - Sunday Times 23rd June 2007

I think what you ar asking for Roland is precisely what Epic FOI Guy, William Thackery, is waiting for. i.e. the decision making process (who said what to whom) on why the City of London gave Rates Relief to the cult.
    see this: http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/further_scientology_information
    City of London must respond by 28th June or face the Information Commissioner's wrath.
  4. RolandRB Member

Certainly, if you search on the word "Scientology" in their charity search box on their web site then no results are returned.

The Charity Commission for England and Wales

No results for COSRECI , COSREC , C.O.S.R.E.C.I or C.O.S.R.E.C

More on COSRECI from this web site. Note it is described as a "non-profit association" rather than a charity. I have never found it listed as a charity on any Australian web site.

Trademarks

Copyright © 2009 Church of Scientology Religious Education College, Inc, a non-profit association incorporated in South Australia. All Rights Reserved. Registered Office: 24-28 Waymouth Street, Adelaide, South Australia. Registered in England under Company No. F9154. Registered Agent in the UK: Peter D. Hodkin, Solicitor, 42-44 Copthorne Road, Felbridge, East Grinstead, West Sussex RH19 2NS.

Note that the above company number is wrong. It should be FC009154

According to the following article, Scientology is only registered as a charity in New Zealand.

Wapedia - Wiki: Scientology status by country
  5. RolandRB Member

I know the Church of Scientology England and Wales applied for charitable status and was turned down.

United Kingdom Government News: CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY''S APPLICATION TO BE REGISTERED CHARITY

It is COSRECI (or C.O.S.R.E.C.I.) itself I am interested in. I can only find it as a "non-profit association" in Australia. Not a charity.

It will be interested what William Thackery gets back. Maybe CoL officials with their wives at St. Hill photographed with Tom Cruise at a lavish dinner served with champagne.
  6. Anonymous Member

Are you only searching for national charities in "Australia" or are you also searching State only charities like the state "South Australia"?
  7. Re: Is COSRECI a charity in the UK?

OK, here's how it is.

COSRECI is an Aussie charity. It's not a charity in the UK, however a reciprocal tax agreement between UK and Oz means they get tax breaks.

It's a deliberate loophole exploit.
  8. RolandRB Member

What documentary evidence do you have that proves COSRECI is an Australian charity? I can't find any. I only see it written that it is a "non-profit association".
  9. DeathHamster Member

That's from Wikipedia's page. I'd take that page with a big grain of salt since it's mainly updated by an editor who scavenges GoogleBooks for references by hack academics or apologists. Any digging for the actual facts are discouraged as Original Research or Investigative Journalism.
  10. charlie Member

1.That CoS is NOT charitable as an organisation established for the charitable purpose of the advancement of religion because, having regard to the relevant law and evidence, Scientology is not a religion for the purposes of English charity law.

2.That CoS was NOT established for the charitable purpose of promoting the moral or spiritual welfare and improvement of the community.

3.That CoS was NOT established for the public benefit.

http://infosect.freeshell.org/infocult/Charitycommissionscientology.pdf
  11. DeathHamster Member

That's for "CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY (ENGLAND AND WALES)", which is a different corporate shell than COSRECI. (It's all the same under the covers, of course.)
  12. DeathHamster Member

It implies, but doesn't spell out, that there's some benefit to operating in the UK as a South Australian (state) charity.
  13. charlie Member

14. Sponge Member

"Church of Scientology (England and Wales)", COSRECI, or anything with scientology in it, abreviated or in acronym, does NOT hold UK registered charitable status. If the cult had gained UK charitable status in any of it's main scientology church named entities then it wouldn't be a big secret and they'd be the first to boast loudly.

Narconon, Criminon and Greenfields Educational Trust are registered charities and you can see their detail at the Charity Commission website (there's nothing for ABLE or CCHR, in abbreviation or in full name, or Hubbard College, or Dianetics or any other obvious fronts).
    I sometimes wonder whether the main scientology church entities would ever want to be a registered charity thesedays, given the high level of publically available information that they have to report as well as the constant oversight by the commission. The commission can and do revoke charitable status, and it is much more fluid than say the USA or Australia's tax authority-granted charity/tax-exempt status (which seems to be gained on a form basis rather than true merit, badly policed and, as we know, very diffcult to have revoked once given).
    Currently COSRECI can submit very basic accounts in the UK and not have to justify anything over and above the basic requirements for non-profit status.
  15. DeathHamster Member

16. Sponge Member

17. RolandRB Member

18. Sponge Member

Interesting document (from: Welcome to Charities Definition Inquiries website )

http://www.cdi.gov.au/submissions/183-ChurchofScientologyAsiaPacificRegion.doc
  19. Re: Is COSRECI a charity in the UK?

Bump for those wading through this thread.
  20. Sponge Member

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: MPs call for tax probe into cult

21. RolandRB Member

So, if I understand it, it says in its accounts that it was established as a charity in Australia and exists for charitable purpose only in the UK. I used to have copies of the COSRECI accounts but I got rid of them some years ago. Does somebody have copies of these and does it say this anywhere. If so, can we see a scan?

Of course, they're SAYING they are a charity registered in Australia is not the same as being one. I can't find them listed among Australian charities. And even if they were, would that make them a charity in the UK? I doubt it. They would surely have a registration in the UK if they were.

Have they ever been granted MANDATORY tax relief in the UK which they would do if they managed to convince a local authority that they were a charity? If they were ever granted MANDATORY relief then I think we could kick up a fuss.

I'll do some checking on the online mandatory tax relief forms from various local authorities in the UK.
  22. RolandRB Member

I have done that. From what I understand from reading the act, mandatory rates relief is only given "if the ratepayer is a charity or trustees for a charity" from reading section 43 of the Local Government Finance Act 1988.

Local Government Finance Act 1988 (c. 41)

But I have just been reading something from Manchester City Council where they are giving mandatory rates relief to sports clubs as well. Has anyone got an explanation for this?

Manchester City Council - Mandatory rate relief for registered charities and sports clubs
  23. RolandRB Member

Seems like it is possible now from 1 April 2004 onwards provided the sports club is registered.

National Non Domestic Rates - Rate Relief for Sports Clubs
  24. Anonymous Member

Is this any help Roland?

According to the filing made by sci to Companies House in 2008 they claim to be a religious charity in Australia.

On page 8 of the return they say:

On page 9 it continues:

It’s available on Wikileaks here.

Scientology UK annual returns, 2008 - WikiLeaks
  25. Sponge Member

Exactly. This is what they claim and they do so on those COSRECI annual statements publically available from Companies House. I think this is what they show the local council, as if it is supposed to mean something.

So, after we see what comes of the impending FOI requests that the City of London has been told by the Information Comissioner to provide (by 28th June), then you may perhaps know whether or not this very claim was at all a factor in influencing the City of London decision in giving rates relief. If it was then you can ask City of London what Australian documentary evidence it received from the church of Scientology that this claim is actually true (the answer will be: none). It might well be that the claims of COSRECI charitable status in Australia were not an influencing factor in the City of London's decision to give rates relief. Afterall, the cult does have an arsenal of shiny bullshit cannonballs such as volunteer ministers, "drug awareness" blah blah etc. to create the illusion of "charitable" work (the local council not realising that all this bullshit has been created especially for people like them, in positions of power).
  26. RolandRB Member

Yes, you are right in that we need to find out what pitch they are using with local councils. Once we know what pitch they are using then we can knock it down.

My best guess at present is they use the non-profit religious angle rather than the charity charitable purposes angle. They could show the council the COSRECI accounts and say "look we don't make a profit". That 10 million quid we took off the chumps last year has all disappeared and gone away and we actually made a loss.

This explains why the missions don't even bother applying for business rates rebate because the missions ARE for profit. The profits go to the missions holders.

Does anyone have copies of their accounts they can scan in and show this charity nonsense they are using? I got rid of my COSRECI accounts years ago.
  27. Sponge Member

COSRECI 2008 accounts
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    Scroll to the top of PDF page 8 and 9, where you'll find the previously quoted statements. (page 6 & 7 actual dox page numbers)
  28. AnonyMary Member

Thanks for your repeated reiteration of the facts and doxs. You have the patience of a saint, lol.

Mary
  29. RolandRB Member

30. Sponge Member

* UPDATE *
    From this thread: http://forums.whyweprotest.net/15-media/today-tonight-tuesday-june-22-2010-a-68310/9/#post1272424
    Direct source: Scientology tax - Today Tonight

from the Church of Scientology (ANZO) statement:
    http://l.yimg.com/ea/doc/-/100622/statement_for_today_tonight_22_june_10-1620t64.pdf

Plaintext version of above linked PDF of the cult's statement.......
  31. Anonymous Member

32. DeathHamster Member

That seems definite. So now what's needed is to catch them in previous statements in the UK saying or strongly implying ("charitable purposes") that COSRECI has South Australian charity status.
  33. Anonymous Member

May be useful somewhere along the line:

from: Non-profit organization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  34. Anonymous Member

35. themadhair Member

This count?:
    tax01.jpg
    tax02.jpg
  36. Anonymous Member

The old BBC thing about VAT and loans.
  37. DeathHamster Member

That's a good start.

Their Bridge between the UK and Australia is now on fire at both ends.

A full audit at either end could be serious trouble for them.
  38. JohnnyRUClear Member

They could always dive off....

larryandersonintroducti.jpg
  39. Anonymous Member

I am hoping that both sets of civil servants feel under pressure to at least sit up and take notice now, because they're aware that the other country is also investigating; if that makes sense.

Harder to file under too-hard if you know someone else is working on the file.
  40. Anonymous Member

Adelaide now