Customize

Interesting Old Tax Exemption Petetion 2005

Discussion in 'Scientology Property Tax' started by Mark Cabian, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Mark Cabian Member

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/stopscientology/

Sign the petition to have The Church of Scientology's tax-exemption status removed.

We believe The Church of Scientology is a cult and not a religion, because of this, the Internal Revenue Service should cancel their current tax-exempt status. They should not enjoy tax-exempt status similar to that of other religions, houses of worship, and legitimate social service and educational organizations.

We feel the cult was created by its founder, L. Ron Hubbard as a scam to become a millionaire. We, the undersigned, allege that the Church of Scientology and their affiliate organizations are involved in a multitude of illegal activities, including, but not limited to, perjury, subornation of perjury, murder, harboring a fugitive, harassment, treason, practicing medicine without a license, hate crimes, battery, assault, negligence, violations of international law and other crimes.

If you agree, please add your name and contact information below. Your "signature" will be used to encourage U.S. government officials to take action. The Church of Scientology has previously been investigated by the IRS and with Tom Cruise so wildly promoting this cult; I believe this is the perfect time to make your opinion known.

Note: We will not sell or otherwise transfer your personal information to any business, organization, or government agency.

I, the undersigned, urge the United States Treasury Department to cancel the tax-exempt status currently extended to The Church of Scientology and its affiliated organizations under Section 501(c) of the U.S. Treasury Code.

By repeatedly and continuously showing signs of being a cult, The Church of Scientology has demonstrated that it is incapable of conducting itself in a manner expected of nonprofit groups receiving federal tax subsidies.

www.stopscientology.com

ED: They have over 9000! Well, 8816, that's close.
    http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/stopscientology/signatures/8800
  2. Incredulicide Member

LOL @

noavatar.png

"Kyle Swanback said 07/08/05, 7:12 pm (verified)
    I'd join the Nation Of Islam before I'd join the CoS. And that's saying something cause I'm white."
  3. Anonymous Member

The Internal Revenue Service has no legal authority to take the actions asked for in this petition. It is not their job to determine whether something is a religion or a cult, and many of the crimes mentioned are outside the realm of taxation. This petition would be much more effective if it challenged CoS as a non-profit organization than the character of its religious views.
  4. Anonymous Member

Um. I believe the U.S. Supreme Court agreed with the IRS that the cult was a business and allowed the IRS to strip the cult of its exemptions....
  5. Mark Cabian Member

Hey, online petitions have always been fail. Some people don't know how to snopes, and still forward fail petitions in the body of emails. Proof that 90 year olds know how to use the 'forward' button in their AOL email accounts. The political power of this was not at all my point, but that five years ago, what was being said then is still relevant today. I personally feel that it will be the lawlessness of the cult that will be its undoing. The cult has no regard for law, and that will be a footbullet/steppingstone like no other. They are the ones that ultimately prove that they are a criminal, profiteering, abusive organization.
  6. Anonymous Member

But the reason the Supreme Court decided the way it did in the Hernandez case was because of the nature of the financial transactions, not because it was a cult.
  7. Mark Cabian Member

Could you point that out to me? I see:

1) It does not worship and is not a religion. I buy that, even Hubbtard said it wasn't a religion.

2) It is a business, and engaged in many criminal activities. This has been proven.

3) We will try to use this collection of signatures to 'encourage US government officials to take action'. That would be awesome.

4) The cult does not behave properly for a tax-exempt religion. No argument here.

SO?
  8. Anonymous Member

I would direct you to section 501.
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/26/usc_sec_26_00000501----000-.html
    The requirements for exemption are that it be non-profit and for one of the exempt purposes listed. 501(c) 3 is the relevant section for churches. Religion is not defined in the law. In fact, it would probably be against the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment for them to define it.
    The IRS is a government agency creates for the collection of taxes. They do not exist as a theological debating society. So as a tax collection agency they would be much less likely to respond to a petition on the basis that it is a cult than they would to an appeal based on proved violations of the "non-profit" requirements. I believe the IRS is most interested in whether individuals are profiting from the organization. If no one is profiting personally, they will see if it comes close to fitting one of the 28 legal types of exempt organizations. I don't think the IRS would relish getting into a fight over what the difference is between a religion and a cult.

The Hernandez case revolved over whether auditing should not be exempt because it was a fee for service. ie, it was a financial issue.
  9. Anonymous Member

To be clear, I am all for removing the exemption for Scientology, but my reasoning is based on it not being a non-profit organization rather than because it is a cult.
  10. Anonymous Member

You forgot to point it out in the OP. Why are you rambling on? Focus. Answer the question and quit derailing. BTW, the OP is just to point out an interesting old effort, not a soapbox for you to blabber on about. I know the IRS haz creates for taxes, etc., but your failpoint of the IRS not wanting to look at what a tax-exempt cult is? Oh. Oh, yes, they would Fraud is a favorite place to collect fees. Also, please stop crapping up the thread.