Customize

Informing ignorant sociologists and journalists

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by Anonymous, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Anonymous Member

Informing ignorant sociologists and journalists

Gentlemen, we need an informative paper (WITH REFERENCES) to forward to journalists and sociologists when they get it completely wrong. In this instance I speak specifically of a travesty of a book called "Scientology", by James R. Lewis, due to be released soon.

These people have no idea of what's actually going on here. In some cases there are conflicts of interest. But in others its just pure ignorance, which is laughable for scholars.

So let's get started on a letter that we can send to those of them who are well-intentioned.

Please see a list of targets here: bayimg - image: contribs.PNG - free uncensored image hosting
  2. incog712 Member

Re: Informing ignorant sociologists and journalists

Trufax, but James Lewis is pretty much of a lost cause. He's a notorious cult apologist. One that hides behind the cloak of academic scholarship in much the same way cults like scientology, aum, the family, etc. hide behind the cloak of religion.
  3. Ann O'Nymous Member

Thanks for the table of content. May I suggest to do the following:
    - fact-checking the authors,
    - target those who seem genuine.

A couple of names there are lost to logical discussion, IMHO.
  4. Anonymous Member

I like the idea of this letter because we can send it to just about anyone who doubts the perils of Scientology. This book's main problem is critical omission. We can fill in the blanks. Here's an outline of topics we should cover:
    • Fair game, specific incidents:
    - Suppressing dissenting opinions using blackmail
    - Dead agenting and "noisy" investigations
    • Unreasonably litigious, specific incidents
    - Copyright law abuse
    - Libel suits
    - AO, WBM arrests
    - Fifty consecutive lawsuits against IRS at time of seeking recognition
    • LRH's insanity and immorality, specific QUOTES along with context
    - Instructing dead agenting
    - Emphasis on money ("THE PURPOSE OF ORGS IS TO MAKE MONEY", "MAKE MONEY MAKE MORE MONEY", etc)
    - Using study tech to dumb down adherents
    - Contradictions and inconsistencies
    - Upper level materials and what they contain
    - Good quotes: ("The only way to control people is to lie to them", "the purpose of the lawsuit is to harass", etc)
    • The RPF and Gold base
    - Violation of labor laws
    - Unethical treatment of followers
    - Using RPF as a means of punishment to discourage opposition
    • Medical disruption
    - Completely bogus medical claims
    - Purification rundown and lack of scientific support
    - Psych propaganda (CCHR, Psychiatry an industry of death, etc)
    - Miscavige's outright contempt for the entire psychiatric field (hand grenades video, "we will destroy them", etc)
  5. Donovan Cook Member

Looking at Frank Flinn you'd think cos paid him to say this crap....

(C) Another area for which the Church of Scientology is faulted is the manner with which it seemingly controls the daily life of its members, in general, and the apparently harsh discipline imposed upon Sea Org members in the Rehabilitation Project Force (RPF), in particular. In Scientology the Sea Organization} is composed of highly dedicated members who take vows of eternal service and live a life in community. The RPF discipline is use when Sea Org members find themselves “non productive” or, in Scientology terminology, “stat crashers.” In these situations, members are put on a definite schedule, spend several hours s day studying Scientology Technology, and have co-auditing sessions to achieve what believers call “release” and “full cleanup.” Members do physical labor, but also get lots of healthy food and lots of rest.

Declaration of Frank K. Flinn - Scientology Myths
  6. Optimisticate Member

Informing people of their ignorance is like arguing with trolls on the internet.

It just don't work ppls.
  7. Donovan Cook Member

This link covers ALL of that...

ESK - Stories from Inside Scientology
  8. Anonymous Member

I'm sorry, but the "go to this website, it's all there" mentality just won't work here. The same problem exists with xenu.net. All that one sees is a collection of stories and documents, and no coherent summary of assertions made by those operating the website. We need condensed writing that cuts to the chase.

We can't expect people to do any research on their own, we just want them to understand our conclusions and see strong evidence in their favor.
  9. A.Non Hubbard Member

10. Herro Member

Sociologists aren't likely to take websites seriously as sources. Try and reference from books like A Piece of Blue Sky.
  11. A.Non Hubbard Member

12. Donovan Cook Member

Ok then, I'll help a little.

Here's lrh's policy on Fair Game.

HUBBARD COMMUNICATIONS OFFICE
    Saint Hill Manor, East Grinstead, Sussex

HCO Policy Letter of 18 October 1967,
    Issue IV
    Remimeo

PENALTIES FOR LOWER CONDITIONS

(Applies both Orgs and Sea Org)

LIABILITY Suspension of pay and a dirty grey rag on left arm and day
    and night confinement to org premises.

TREASON Suspension of pay and deprivation of all uniforms and insignia,
    a black mark on left cheek and confinement on org premises or
    dismissal from post and debarment from premises.

DOUBT Debarment from premises. Not to be employed. Payment of fine
    amounting to any sum may have cost org. Not to be trained or
    processed. Not to be communicated or argue with.

ENEMY SP Order. Fair game. May be deprived of property or injured by
    any means by any Scientologist without any discipline of the
    Scientologist. May be tricked, sued or lied to or destroyed.

LRH:jp L. RON HUBBARD
    Copyright (c) 1967 Founder
    by L. Ron Hubbard
    ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

And subsequent repeal of the use of the term Fair Game.

HUBBARD COMMUNICATIONS OFFICE
    Saint Hill Manor, East Grinstead, Sussex

HCO Policy Letter of 21 October 1968

CANCELLATION OF FAIR GAME

The practice of declaring people FAIR GAME will cease.

FAIR GAME may not appear on any Ethics Order. It causes bad public relations.

This P/L does not cancel any policy on the treatment or handling of an SP.

LRH:ci:cden L. RON HUBBARD
    Copyright (c) 1968 Founder
    by L. Ron Hubbard
    ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Fair Game used by cos as religious freedom of expression in court.

77. In Wollersheim v. Church of Scientology of California (the "mother church" of the Churches of Scientology at the time the suit was filed), the California Appeal Court ruled, in a decision upheld by the US Supreme Court: "Wollersheim was compelled to abandon his wife and his family through the policy of disconnect. When his mental illness reached such a level he actively planned his suicide, he was forbidden to seek professional help. Finally, when Wollersheim was able to leave the Church, it subjected him to financial ruin through its policy of 'fair game'." (JCA-147, pp.A-7, 15 & 16). At appeal, Scientology asserted that "fair game" was a "core practice of Scientology", and therefore protected as "religious expression". This position was also made on behalf of Scientology in the case against Gerald Armstrong, in 1984, by religious expert Dr. Frank Flinn (JCA-45).
    JCA-45. Frank K. Flinn testimony {holy shit there he is again}in Church of Scientology of California, 1984, vol.23, pp.4032-4160.

JCA-147. Wollersheim v. Church of Scientology of California, Court of Appeal of the State of California, civ.no.B023193, 18 July 1989 (upheld by the U,S. Supreme Court, 7 March 1994).

More court stuff. Roger Gonnet Aug 31 2002

12 THE COURT: What were you told as a member,
    13 second in command of the Ohio org, about the
    14 cancellation of the fair game policy, if anything?
    15 THE WITNESS: They said they cancelled the name
    16 "fair game" because it was bad for public relations,
    17 but that the -- the activity described in fair game
    18 was still ongoing.
    19 MR. WEINBERG: Could we just identify who is
    20 "they" said this?
    21 THE COURT: Yes, who?
    22 THE WITNESS: The two people I would normally
    23 speak to, one man was named Bennett Parish. He was
    24 my direct senior. He was executive director.
    25 The other guy who was my best friend there was
    1 named Chris Kline, my best friend there. He was
    2 senior case supervisor.
    3 THE COURT: So they said the cancellation
    4 policy cancelled the name but not the activity for
    5 suppressive persons?
    6 THE WITNESS: Yes. They would sometimes
    7 discuss people who had criticized Scientology and
    8 then the things that happened to those people as a
    9 result of that activity.
    10 Mr. Wollersheim was the only one discussed by
    11 name that I ever heard about, so -- oh, and one --
    12 that is not right. There was another guy locally.
    13 We had a man whose last name was Anderson. The
    14 family owned a group of stores in Columbus called
    15 Anderson's General Store. And this man, Paul
    16 Anderson, had belonged to Scientology for a period
    17 of months, and given about $250,000 to different
    18 Scientology organizations, then requested a refund.
    19 And when he did so, there were a bunch of
    20 different things done to him. And they talked about
    21 those things inside the organization because, you
    22 know, the guys in my org were privy to that
    23 information.
    24 THE COURT: Like what kind of things?
    25 THE WITNESS: He had psychiatric problems, and
    1 so they had threatened the family with exposing his
    2 psychiatric history publicly, you know. The family
    3 was well known around town, and this one son had had
    4 difficulties. And so it was that, you know, they
    5 better watch out because if they continue with this
    6 stuff, they're going to find out that this is all
    7 over the place.
    8 THE COURT: This was your supervisor talking
    9 about this?
    10 THE WITNESS: Yes. My supervisor was directly
    11 responsible for about $80,000 of the $250,000. And
    12 we had this problem that we didn't have $80,000 in
    13 the organization to give back to this guy. So it
    14 was a very serious matter that somehow we had to
    15 come up with $80,000 to give this guy, because it
    16 was a legal problem that was hanging over the head
    17 of the organization.
    18 And so one side was how to solve the problem.
    19 The other side was, yes, but you know what we're
    20 going to do to this guy kind of thing. So --
    21 THE COURT: And that was part of -- the telling
    22 the family that the mental illness would be
    23 revealed?
    24 THE WITNESS: Somehow, my direct supervisor
    25 knew this guy's personal psychiatric history. And
    1 it included -- I'm trying to think -- sexual
    2 deviancy and other things that somebody would not
    3 want known publicly. And so the threat was to
    4 expose these things if they didn't cooperate and let
    5 him out of paying this money back.
    6 THE COURT: What happened?
    7 THE WITNESS: I think that the -- my
    8 recollection is that eventually the $80,000 was paid
    9 back. And the rest of the money was never paid
    10 back.
    11 THE COURT: This would have been, in your mind,
    12 fair game?
    13 THE WITNESS: Yes. I mean, there is nothing
    14 else in Scientology -- there were no other policies
    15 that I was aware of where we would harass or --
    16 somebody like that. See, I had never seen a policy
    17 that said to do that. So then it was described to
    18 me and shown to me, a policy called fair game, where
    19 that is what we did. It said to sue, lie, trick and
    20 utterly destroy someone. So that I understood, you
    21 know, what it was about.
    22 THE COURT: Then you saw -- you saw the policy
    23 that cancelled it?
    24 THE WITNESS: We didn't actually have that
    25 policy in our org. One of the guys that worked
    1 there had that group of old material and showed it
    2 to me. We didn't have that in our organization
    3 where we could look it up or anything. That wasn't
    4 something we were privy to.
    5 THE COURT: Thank you.

(...)

13 BY MR. DANDAR:
    14 Q Is there any doubt in your mind, or do you have
    15 any hesitation, on whether or not fair game was cancelled or
    16 not cancelled?
    17 A I know it was not cancelled because we talked
    18 about it at the org and I was subject to it once I left
    19 Scientology.

Harold's Journal. Fair Gaming the press for well....negative press of Narconon.

Harold's Journal
    Editorial Opinion By RWL - 08 March 1990

Premonitions...

Since last we visited on the subject, Narconon and it's progenitor, Scientology, have been staying out of our spotlight. This week, however, they have resurfaced with predictions that they will be open in a couple of months.

So, to bring you up to date on what's been happening in the wierd world of Operating Thetans, here are bits of a few of the tales we've uncovered recently:

o) We have talked with several former Narconon employees who all tell of being required to study Elron's Organization Executive Course material... and when they elected not to, were somehow discredited and fired within a few weeks.

The Organization Executive Course is a massive collection of "Official Policies of the Church of Scientology." It says so on every page.

o) One individual tells of being ordered to set beer cans inside the living quarters of another employee whom they wished to find a reason to terminate. He was later terminated himself amid a flurry of police activity that resulted in lots of intimidation but no charges being filed because all of the allegations against him were so obviously phony. He was not drunk. There was no hostage. The gun was his .22 rifle that was unloaded in the gun rack in his vehicle where it had been since he went to work there months earlier. Police released him immediately, and within a half hour, he was trying to contact me to tell his harrowing story.

o) Another former employee says he found himself on the way from his assigned living quarters at Chilocco to jail in Pawnee on what he says were trumped up charges... and they obviously were, because he is out free now with nothing filed and no court date. Just released. And told not to set foot on Chilocco again. I don't think they let you out that easy if you've really pulled a knife on someone and threatened their life, and that's what he tells me they were accusing him of.

o) It appears that if you don't want to study the policies of the Church of Scientology, you won't have a job for long at Chilocco. Even subcontractors working out there have been encouraged to take their courses.

o) On a broader scale, Scientology made news again in California in January, where police found a Scientologist who was "treating" his mentally ill wife according to the tenants of his "religion" by keeping her locked up in her bedroom with only a mattress on the floor. The windows were boarded up, according to the news report, and she was fed through a slot in the door. No charges filed. Police were studying the tenants of the "religion" at last report. The wife, however, was reported to be recovering nicely in a real hospital.

o) Scientologists in Clearwater, Fla. who run a currency exchange and gold bullion business were busted by federal agents in the middle of December for allegedly operating a money laundering scheme. No word on whether they think Scientology is suspected of being directly involved or not. Hard to tell the bad apples from the bad apples, I guess.

o) American Airlines received so many complaints that it announced in December that it would no longer carry Scientology ads in its monthly in-flight magazine, American Way. The ads were apparently part of a huge PR campaign by Scientology that is running in such magazines as House and Garden, Discover, Business Week, and Newsweek. Over $300,000.00 has been spent on Newsweek alone, according to published reports.

o) The IRS suspects that the Church of Scientology of Clearwater, Fla. has violated it's tax-exempt status, and wants to study 47 categories of Scientology documents for the years 1985 thru 1987, according to a January report.

o) About a week ago, a former Scientology lawyer, Joseph A. Yanny, who left the organization after allegedly being asked to perform illegal tasks for the cult, won a $154,000.00 judgement. A jury felt he had been a victim of Scientology's "Fair Game" policy which allows Scientologists to trick, sue, lie to, or destroy their enemies. The judgement was the largest the judge would allow. Scientology had sued Yanny for allegedly padding his bills to them while he was still in the cult, but the jury found no evidence of that whatsoever.

o) On March 23 of this year, a former Scientologist named Lawrence Wollersheim will have his day before the Supreme Court of the United States. Wollersheim was also a victim of the "Fair Game" policy according to a jury which was so outraged that it awarded him a $30,000,000.00 verdict. That's $30 million. The award was reduced on appeal to $2,500,000.00, which is still a tremendous amount of money.

Wollersheim contends that Scientology makes a mockery or counterfeit of religion by such tactics as the "Fair Game" policy, and should be once and for all exposed and the abuses ended. His appeal before the Supreme Court may accomplish that.

Scientology doesn't want the case to go that far. They have offered, in writing, to pay him off with $4 million rather than go to the Supreme Court. When he refused that, they made him a verbal offer of $6 million to settle. Which he also refused.

This man must have gone thru terrors unknown to turn down $6 million dollars just to take a chance on a court decision.

o) In another pending case, a former very high level Scientologist is accusing the organization of ordering her to a "Rehabilitation Project Force" where she was forced to run around an orange telephone pole every day from 7 am until 9:30 pm for about 120 days, with minimal break periods. Her husband, during one period of his tenure with the "church", says he also fell into disfavor because his construction project was not proceeding fast enough, and was forced to work without pay from 9 am to 12 midnight without any days off, to sleep outdoors, and to eat only rice and beans.

These are premonitions of just some of the things to come if Narconon is allowed to open at Chilocco and Scientology is allowed to get a foothold in our state.

Send this column to Secretary of State Hannah D. Atkins, Room 101, State Capitol Building, Oklahoma City, Ok 73105, and ask her to see to it that there is a Public Hearing in Newkirk before Narconon is licensed to operate in Oklahoma.
  13. Herro Member

That's a good looking wiki. I like it. Researchers and journalists kind of look down on any wiki as useless for research, but I think that attitude is starting to change. But they will always prefer books and journal articles to web sites.
  14. A.Non Hubbard Member

That's some good stuff, Donovan! I'll copypasta it when I get a chance.

I've had a busy week with RL concerns so I haven't been able to work too much on the wiki since the weekend but I hope to put in some hours in the coming days.
  15. Re: Informing ignorant sociologists and journalists

This is a good idea, yes there are lot's of sources all across the web but it needs to be compiled and delivered in a simple to understand, uncluttered form with all the points post #4 http://forums.whyweprotest.net/42-e...nt-sociologists-journalists-40448/#post769776 suggested.

Something of less then 4 pages, easy to print out (layout+PDF) and available in multiple languages.

The Xenu Leaflet is a good example: Operation Clambake presents: The XENU Leaflet

The Scientology Leaflet?
  16. Gadfly Member

I think the best way to target sociologists is by using their own formulas.
    Demonstrating to a trained social scientist that scientology fits ALL of these criteria should be enough to make them seriously consider the statements made by sociology.

1. It uses psychological coercion to recruit, indoctrinate and retain its members

2. It forms an elitist totalitarian society.

3. Its founder leader is self-appointed, dogmatic, messianic, not accountable and has charisma.

4. It believes 'the end justifies the means' in order to solicit funds recruit people.

5. Its wealth does not benefit its members or society.

This stuff is Sociology 101.