Customize

I'm sure most of you already know about tor

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by scarecrow, Feb 11, 2011.

1. scarecrow Member

Tor is (or was at one point) an acronym for "the onion router". It encrypts and relays your online activity "through a network of systems run by volunteers in various locations" making anonymity easy and getting you around most remote web filters.

With tor, you get:
    Online anonymity
    Uncensored internet access
    Access to .onion URLs (granted, many of these are child pr0n).
    More about it here and here.

I2P is similar. Rather than .onion, you have .i2p. More here and here.

It's easy to run exit or relay nodes for these programs, so if you have access to unfiltered, uncensored internet, you can help those who don't get around their filters. Tor is often used in China to get around the Great Firewall.

Just thought this deserved mention.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Anonymous Member

Thanks for posting, -- this is worthy of mention, especially to sophomores (and lazy people :)

So, I don't internet well, and I run Linux, Mac, or Windows. Where do I get my TOR download?
  3. scarecrow Member

First link.
  4. Anonymous Member

Yet you can't use google?
  5. Anonymous Member

Okay, it's link #1 in the OP ... just trying to help the helpless.
  6. sock Member

When you're using tor make sure you disable javascript and cookies, as malicious sites can exploit these to reveal your identity. I believe the tor button add-on for firefox does this automatically.

The tor button firefox add-on is also the most user friendly way to use tor: http://bit.ly/dEYGf7

http://www.torproject.org/torbutton/

Other good programs and sites that newbies may find helpful:
    Vidalia and AvTor
    IP2 (smaller and less supported than the tor network, but it's faster)
    anonet (Is a darknet/ multi-national private ip space. Ideal for anyone trying to communicate outside restrictive countries)
    Freenet project and Frost (anonymous file sharing)
    Disconnect (For Chrome users) and Noscript
    ccleaner
    Peer Guardian 2 and Peer block (blocks malicious IP ranges and purported MPAA/RIAA IPs on the P2P/torrent networks, definitely not fool-proof but better than nothing)
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Great sites! Thanks for the info, very much appreciated.
  8. Sneaky Snake Member

I tried out tor today, but couldn't get it to work. I was following a guide that I had found in another thread here to set it up properly, but the servers detailed in the guide weren't on the list of servers available for me to use, nor could I add it in manually.
  9. twig Member

TOR WORKS AND IT HELPS PEOPLE

i told a girl that i use tor to do google searches and we ended up having a good time together
  10. scarecrow Member

Ummm . . . good for you?
    All you need is the browser bundle on torproject.org. It'll set it up for you (on windows anyway).
  11. DeathHamster Member

12. phoxx Member

i needed that for droid but couldn't find it
  13. kilzom Member

These are not the droids you are looking for.
    *hand wavey motion*

bwhahaha sorry I'm a nerd, had to say it
    :D
  14. phoxx Member

much love for my fellow nerds
    • Like Like x 1
  15. phoxx Member

looking for C++ for android. i've heard rumors that it is out there but cant find a access to it. help?
  16. kilzom Member

17. phoxx Member

life saver kilzom. i have a project i need to finish
  18. Anonymous Member

When is the next lesson for hacking?
    • Like Like x 2
  19. phoxx Member

i wish i knew. im refreshing
  20. Xenu Is Lord Member

TOR AT HIS BEST!
  21. DeathHamster Member

22. anonchroma Member

I am using TOR VM on a windows VM. Obfuscates everything. Although, IRC servers see my exit and Z:line me. I'd like to chat, so whats the solution?
  23. Josinu Member

24. BrakTalk Member

Disconnect is pretty cool, though I'd like to see something similar to TORButton for Chrome :/
  25. Big323 Member

how can I use tor and such I've had to add every web page I have visited to the list thing for proxy to be able to do any thing is there anything I'm doing wrong?
  26. A..

When I'm useing tor browser bundle it doesn't let me login to this site? Any suggestions? Do I have to add this site to a firewall setting or some such?
  27. A..

Tor for the Iphone you say? Does anyone have a link to that??
  28. Anonymous Member

29. A..

Sweet I'm all set up thanks.