Customize

I'm Doing Research For A Feature Article on Anonymous..

Discussion in 'Support Questions' started by jjourno, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Anonymous Member

He has a tight deadline of and shows no understanding of his subject....could be shite
  2. Anonymous Member

He's a reporter and he's never heard of Anonymous? What remote island in the Pacific has he been living on?
  3. Anonymous Member

Evidently one without hornets.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. veravendetter Member

OP should elaborate on the article he intends to produce if he wants to make his offer more tempting. Whether it is another 'Teen Geeks and Teh Cyberspace' or 'Serious InterBusiness' piece makes no difference in my view, but more details could appeal to those whose anonymous motivations match his subject. If he doesn't return to this thread, I personally hope he gets a willing anon whose sole mission in the interview is to say 'pool's closed' in context.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Anonymous Member

Why not start a private conversation with him so you can check previous stories he's had published and also get the name of the publication he's doing the story for this time.
  6. JohnnyRUClear Member

People still read magazines?
  7. veravendetter Member

This guy
    [IMG]
  8. fatrix_ Member

stockphotoyounghandsome.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

do not neglect the social function of magazines
  9. veravendetter Member

Dude, that's a letter; a pamphlet at best.
  10. fatrix_ Member

stormtrooperontoiletwit.jpg

and that is a laptop, but I'm sure he/she is reading a magazine
  11. fatrix_ Member

magazinereading.jpg

in order to avoid conflicts about the definition of magazine, let's do it properly, like that veravendetter will stay cool
  12. Anonymous Member

If you can call them "journalists."
  13. Anonymous Member

Freedumb Magazine will always write what they want regardless of the actual truth.

Nothing stopping them coming here asking questions - they know full well any comments will be archived and their magazine article would be displayed here with the LIES clearly highlighted.

As if there were any doubt that they would invent shit. Same applies for real journos. Public debate that cannot be attributed to "mystery sources" if it's done here and with the input of the hive mind.
  14. jjourno Member

wow this is a massive shitstorm for so a simple a request, right?

i understand completely though, so let me try to clarify more what/why i am doing what i do.

you appreciate it is hard for me to 'prove' anything as putting up a fixed identity makes me a potential target..much the same as all of you. i think that even a loose association with anonymous can attract the wrong sort of attention from certain authorities.

you want an elaboration on my article? ok: it's investigative journalism. a feature article. title: i became anonymous. 1500 words and an account of what it is like to be part of the hive mind whilst trying to remain objective as possible. this is why i want to interview someone and account for it. it helps me put a little distance in.

re: lurk moar, i've been lurking for a long time, which is why i want to do this article. but i cant write it 'as' anonymous as that makes it harder for me to be impartial. appreciate my dilemma... how to hold a conversation with a secretive, decentralized organization with no leadership structure ? i'm doing the best i can here.

re: email address, i used a throwaway email address because as we all know it can get a bit volatile at times and i'd rather not have one i use regularly get stigmatized.

re: what publication do i write for? i'll let whoever i talk to know. it is a magazine, not a tabloid, and to be fair, i'd really like to share its identity, but then again, i dont want any anons feeling threatened doing any damage to the publication. and you'll all see it in good time anyway when the article comes out, honest and fair.

as i said i can appreciate your caution. all i can say is that if M16 were trying to bust anon, they'd do a better job than pitching your forums with a shite email address. also since anonymous is all for freedom of information and sharing the truth, i think what i am offering is valuable.

an idea. how about you send me a private message if you are interested? ask as many questions as you want, and i'll answer everything i can. create your own alias email address and/or contact me through TOR if you want to maximize your security. whatever makes you feel secure.

thanks again anons.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Anonymous Member

^^^ Advance!
  16. veravendetter Member

[IMG]
    I took a look at your dox and to be honest I know very little about reading magazines on toilets. I got a buddy who's an expert in the field. Maybe I can invite him down to take a look at the dox and perhaps we can make a deal.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. veravendetter Member

Farmville
  18. Anonymous Member

welcome to the subject of herding cats.

Again though I'm curious why you don't just post some questions and get a feel for what Anonymous in General think, as very little good can come from Interviewing a single, or handful of Anons.

But again, you are the journalist, so I will leave you to your methods
  19. fatrix_ Member

20. veravendetter Member

You may like his proposal/you may not; but you can't ask for much more than that.
    • Like Like x 3
  21. Anonymous Member

Tell that to any of the legion of respectable journalists who have interviewed anons before. Baww less, dox or gtfo more.
  22. veravendetter Member

Jeez, I thought I was cynical.
  23. That's not entirely true. Especially since you are posting on the forums that are mostly used for protesting the Church of Scientology, you are unlikely to arouse any suspicion just by posting here. This isn't the group of people that DDoS websites.

That said, yes anons have been targeted simply because they raised their profile by talking to the media (coldblood).

You also might have better luck finding something more relevant on the anonops IRC server.
  24. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  25. Anonymous Member

For background understanding and the definitive history of the cult you could read A Piece of Blue Sky by Jon Atack
  26. JohnnyRUClear Member

It's pretty funny watching relatively up-to-speed people cringe when they are about to step onto the doxing griddle of Anon scrutiny. (Of course, if/when my turn ever comes, it won't be funny at all. Meanies.)
    • Like Like x 4
  27. Optimisticate Member

You are a journalist. Writing a third party article only makes you a target if you want it to.

You're holding a conversation now with a secretive, decentralized organization with no leadership structure. How do you explain that?

Contradiction much? "I became anonymous" "i can't write it 'as' anonymous. Pick one. Stick with it.

Seriously though, if you're going to write an investigative piece on being anonymous, YOU NEED TO BE ANONYMOUS. You can do this without saying anything to indicate who you are, you can post anonymously, reply anonymously, and raid anonymously if you're careful enough. If you want insight on the hivemind, you're right in the fucking middle of it right now. HOWEVER.... There is still no indication as to what your topic is: financial, scientology, middle east, hacking, or my ass.

If you want to discuss what anon has become overall since 2008, you're going to need to talk to anons here, /b/, irc, and whatever dark, dank corner of the internet they crawl out of.

I'm a moralfag and what some would call an oldfag. I bitch about newfags and leaderfagging. I'm anonymous, but I only participate in actions protesting scientology's vast display of human rights violations. I don't raid. I write, I bitch, I make phone calls. I distribute educational information. If you want more in-depth than that, you need to participate too. By becoming part of the hivemind you will understand the hivemind. Maybe. It's been 3 years and I'm still figuring it out.

If you can do all that, then you can make sense of the massive shitstorm for so simple a request that I don't think you really do understand yet.

Best of luck to you. I hope I don't see you here again. I hope you become anonymous.
    • Like Like x 1
  28. xenubarb Member

Of all the topics you could possibly choose, "How it feels to be anonymous" is the best you could come up with?

FUUUU-that is not even worthy of my time.
  29. Optimisticate Member

<grope>
    You feel anonymous-y, Barb.
    </grope>
  30. Anonymous Member

Optimisticate: I'll write a magazine article about your ass ANY TIME YOU WANT.
  31. slobeck Member

There are so many fucking things wrong with your reply...this is gonna take a minute.

if you say so

umm, which "authorities" are you concerned about? The cult? Your boss? who?

funny that. People have done risky articles, movies and interviews about Anons' battle with Scientology before and they all say who they are and who they work for. John Sweeny, Mark Bunker and Anderson Cooper come to mind. And while Anonymous isn't the main subject of that work, Anonymous' efforts have been included in their stories about the cult and the people fighting it. (OG's and Anons). Further, real mainstream news outlets have been talking with anons, gathering info for articles, and publishing all the time and they don't approach it like you are. They do it like real journalists. With their credentials UP FRONT. It's about establishing trust with your subject.

You pretty much say you're not going to trust "us" with legitimate contact information because you fear we might "do something" to you and your un-named publication and un-named bosses. So trust goes one way? We gotta trust you while you don't have to demonstrate any reciprocal trust? "you'll see it in good time anyway..... honest and fair" - so "trust me" is your answer? Sorry, but NO.

NO, apparently you don't. But you do seem to think that Anonymous NEEDS your article. What your offering is only valuable to your career and paycheck. Anonymous has and always will do just fine without you.

Also you cannot bot be "a part of the hive mind" and be a neutral observer. The minute you get involved... meaning actually protesting instead of just filming a protest or interviewing protester...your objectivity is shot.
    • Like Like x 2
  32. Zak McKracken Member

barretth.jpg
    Feels good, man.
  33. Anonymous Member

Cool pic.
  34. veravendetter Member

Anyone interested in talking to him can try to fill in the gaps in info through PM. If he refuses to provide sufficient details for you to feel safe, or that his story is not worth it, walk away. I do agree that more info should be given in private to those who want to co-operate.
    I also agree that he would be better off just openly asking some questions here and elsewhere online, but as someone already said, he's the journo and I won't tell him his 'angle', but neglecting this approach gives off the impression that he's more interested in a 'lifestyle' piece, which is surely going to put off more anons than it attracts.
    OP - Maybe if your article had some focus on the actual issues people are 'anonymous' for, you'd have more takers; but, saying that, there are always people who want to define Anon as more than a response to something, and an entity in itself, so I'm sure you'll have some luck somewhere.

Risk/Reward - It's subjective
  35. xenubarb Member

I know what it's like to stand right behind someone in my mask and not be recognized. I know what it's like to throw ideas on the walls of the hivemind like pasta to see what sticks.

I know the smug feeling I get when someone somewhere in the world picks up on a suggestion and runs with it. Honestly, it's a good feeling to know that, somewhere out there, over 9000 gots my back. But I still don't think it's interesting enough to rate an article.

Yeah, it's all fun and games until the heroin is gone...
    • Like Like x 1
  36. Anonymous Member

You are 'concerned' about "damage to the publication" as an argument to hold back on disclosing which magazine is going to publish your article. If your 'concerns' are genuine, please tell me why you think these concerns of "damage to the publication" would disappear once your article is published?
  37. an0nim0uz Member

At the very least, this will be interesting.
  38. Ogsonofgroo Member

I'm sort of curious as what 'new' stuff can be dug up for an article that a couple of hours of reading here cannot find?
    I mean, good frikken Gord, even this topic has been shredded a number of times. With due respect to the OP, hey, research means
    researching, ie.~ learn to use search function, get reading, don't be so frikken lazy! There are even a number of threads over the last couple of years
    that ask directly "Why are you Anon?"/"What is Anon?"/"What got you involved?" ~ blah-blah-blah ad nausea.
    Since nobody speaks for everybody, and each person has their own reasons and opinions....
    FFS!

inbf200pagesofblitherblabble

And, before I forget, 1500 word 'feature' article? Bwahahahahahahahahaha!

Sheesh.
    • Like Like x 1
  39. xenubarb Member

Someone posted something back in the enturb days warning about when anonymous becomes more interesting than our targets. I believe the warning was, "This way faggotry lies."

Meanwhile, over there, the Scientology organization lies every fucking day, negatively impacting a dwindling number of followers. They break federal law and commit fraud, while communities allow them to continue, being hoodwinked by the religious angle thing.

I can't see why some egotistical jackhole junkie whose mommy has to CLEAN HIS FUCKING APARTMENT before an interview is more interesting, but that's just me. Barrett Brown can kiss my shiny metal ass for his faggotry.
    • Like Like x 3