Customize

If you could change something about WWP...

Discussion in 'Support Questions' started by da5id, May 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. da5id Administrator

If you could change something about WWP...

..what would it be? I'm speaking from a technical standpoint here, not philosophical :p What do you find that is hard to do or could be done better? Anything you can think of that would make it a lot easier to achieve our goals?

A few things off the top of my head:

• A better method of highlighting infracted posts so they stand out as a 'guideline' for others
    • A way to make Active Projects that need immediate/generalized help more visible

What are yours?
  2. Anonymous Member

Re: If you could change something about WWP...

The hardest thing for me is to "just jump in" on a project when I'm not sure what others are currently doing. For instance, if three people are editing a press release at once and then they all post... it gets confusing. Maybe unavoidable. I sometimes think it would be easier on projects like that if only one person at a time could edit, or if they could be done in real time somehow--but that would have its own problems.

You could think about creating templates (very general) for various types of projects.

WWP works surprisingly well, mostly. This is the only area where I have some confusion.
  3. Anonymous Member

a search function with fuzzy logic, or at least mind reading capability

or failing either of those perhaps a ft archivist ;)
  4. exOT8Michael Member

Thx Da5id.

Hmmmm...yes...
    Great site by the way!!

1. I would take "Threads Should Read" away from PM area and put it on the site as more like an ad or a banner or a button which is highly visible because going through PM is unlulzy. As in: OOOh I got a PM! Goes to Christmas tree to open prezzy. OMFG socks again! ;-)

2. Dome made lulzier in its own special way. Not treated as a dungeon with torture music but as a special play area for all kinds of 'tards, including me. LOL

3. For Live threads include new page jump. Now as it stands you don't get bumped to a new page when post flows have just filled one whole page and you can easily get left behind.

X. Un mod Hicks.

[[ did I say that?? :)> ]]

I might think of moar but I got a cupcaek waiting...

xoxo
  5. Anonymous Member

The search function is probably my biggest pet peeve. We have useful, archived info that is often hard to find, and it can really bog down projects.

The project issue mentioned in a previous post is also a bit of an annoyance, but I am not sure how we solve that unless whomever wants to work on it gets together in a palaver (lol) and determines a project manager. I suggest this mainly because palavers can be quite lulzy.

Finally, lock OTMichael in the dome, but not as a punishment. He loves it there, brings it up quite often, and I think he could make a good dome mod. Then, demod Ann. She's no longer "so interesting".

Finally, just keep being you, Da5id. :)
  6. Re: If you could change something about WWP...

I have a hard time with the search feature when searching for Scieno translations. When I want to do a thread search on "doubt formula" I usually have to wade though many garbage posts until I see my search query highlighted. When I search on posts I have a hard time finding the meaning of my search because of countless garbage posts.

Maybe some glossary that users can't reply to, or a megaupload database where we don't have to wade through countless posts and threads to get to download projects (e.g. 52 Most Wanted Cards).
  7. Anonymous Member

Could we hide Chit Chat threads from Latest Posts? Or (if it's possible) just hide them when not logged in?
  8. TrevAnon Member

QFT

The combined knowledge of all contributors to this site has led to an enormous body of knowledge and links to useful information. If we want it to be accessible for people with less cos-knowlegde, it would indeed be good to improve search options.

I must say that OTOH I would not know how to do that. :S Maybe anyone else has suggestions?
  9. Anonymous Member

You might find it easier to use "Show Posts" when searching, instead of "Show Threads".

A Google search for a Scientology term can often work better - there are plenty of glossaries elsewhere on the web.
  10. Anonymous Member

Idiot here. I could use clearer guidance about proxies. The one I've been using messes up how the site works. A list of good proxies all in one place (vs. scattered in a thread) would be helpful, maybe sorted as free/not free.
  11. exOT8Michael Member

I totally agree that the search function is fail so far.

Needs to be given better eyesight and googlification.
  12. lokimotion Member

I definitely agree with improving the search function.
  13. Re: If you could change something about WWP...

I'd have more people with black hats on here.
  14. exOT8Michael Member

Black hat here...

I can haz better search function pl0x

657605272.jpg
  15. Uncle Remus Member

You know.... It's not so much that the system doesn't work. Its visible and has all the right parts.

I read peoples infractions. "you're a gigantic faggot" as the reason for the infraction doesn't help me understand what the infraction was for.
  16. Crappy Member

Faster infraction system?
  17. LocalSP Member

^^^This^^^ and the search thing. Other than that this site is great.
  18. JohnnyRUClear Member

Wait, I thought of something actually good:

I'd like to be able to flag the various fora for inclusion in my "latest posts" scan, to improve the signal-to-noise ratio of that function for me. (Other people could have this feature too.)
  19. Anonymous Member

I would like to see easily accessible links to related threads, topics, conversations to make research a little easier.
    Ex: A new thread about Narconon could contain a list of other (older or possibly forgotten) threads discussing Narconon.

Also, is it possible to "bookmark" threads without having to post in them?
  20. Anonymous Member

Make the Dome just the NSFW part of the site, without all the noise and crap.
  21. Ann O'Nymous Member

Improve the tags. I can imagine it would be to much work to improve it as a whole, but something could perhaps be done about the most used ones by removing those that are not that informative:
  22. Uncle Remus Member

I may be wrong here. I believe the search function is fairly hardwired and doesn't use heavy dynamic algorithms like Google does. In fact I think the method used to search here is static in nature.

If you want the advantages of Google, I suggest using Google advanced (replacing the XXXX's, google-foo as needed)
  23. subgenius Member

if it ain't broke, maintain it
    (NOT "don't fix it")

otoh
    beveled edges and grooves would be cool
    over medium,
    but not TOO medium and bob's your uncle

thanks for asking

and thanks
  24. Anonymous Member

Tags could help with that.

"Thread Tools" -> "Subscribe to this Thread" ?
  25. Goosh Goosh Member

handling reports faster

also agree with better search function, the search function is fail
  26. Anonymous Member

Post reporting system -> infractions needs streamlining. I hate getting a PM every time, and the reporting screen doesn't seem to reflect the actual rules / guidance on what posts are reportable.

Adding a reason should be optional. If a Mod can't immediately see what's wrong - it's probably not a problem.

Scrap warnings, and make the 1 point infraction a 'yellow card'. Improve the infraction display with stuff to pre-empt butthurt.
  27. Anonymous Member

Ha! Thnx! Silly me.

And I guess I was thinking about something a little more specific than Tags - or maybe I'm just not very good at using them.
  28. Zhent Member

Just reroute the search function through Google site search IMO, thats what I do because internal search is usually pretty useless.

Perhaps WWP should install an etherpad? Though I can see that being easily open to abuse...

Check the bawww thread relating to that, a workaround was introduced by the lovely ARC <3
  29. Anonymous Member

i.e. "Just put David Miscavige on your "ignore list". (Click into his profile, click user lists, click add to ignore list.)"
  30. Goosh Goosh Member

well, with press releases, there could be an option for anyone to edit a post? there would need to be a way to prevent it from being vandalized/deleted, though, which i can't see a way for that to be possible
  31. Anonymous Member

32. Anonymous Member

If I float my cursor over the infraction/warning box, I get a little popup that simply says "recieved warning" or "received infraction". Would it be possible to populate that with detailed info as to the reason? Or perhaps as a procedural matter, the Mods could annotate all infracted posts (as some do some of the time already).
  33. mirror neuron Member

With press releases, Wave might work--but it's confusing and needs a SIMPLE how-to explanation for people who just want to drop in and tweak. I'm not sure whether it would solve the problem of multiple simultaneous edits, though. Might make it simpler--more visual.
  34. Incredulicide Member

A backup server should kick in when the regular 502 bad gateway error happens. Perhaps via an open Stargate to Xenu's home star system
  35. OTBT Member

I'm spoiled using Google and assorted Google filters. The search function here on WWP drives me nuts.

Can a Google toolbar or Google search box be added to WWP? I don't believe it costs anything to add Google search box to the site.

I'm not a techie, but perhaps adding a Google search box will not only make things easier to find here on WWP, but also allow Google main search engine to better index WWP info for outsiders searching about scilons and their front groups.

/ kinda off-topic rant now, here is an example of one my favorite Google filters:

<Unclesam> - Google Search

Wouldn't it be nice for all scilon dox to be available in a similar Google filter?
  36. Anonymous Member

To follow threads that I have posted in, I click my own profile and click "Find all posts by [myself]" and use the envelope icons for updates.

My problem: WWP only displays 25 posts per page, it's not enough, and there's no way to adjust it. I'd like to be able to cycle through my posts faster.

I would like a menu in the control panel to adjust the number of found posts displayed, and barring that, an increase in the default number of posts displayed from 25 to 50.
  37. Anonymous Member

All new staff?
  38. Anonymous Member

Nine hours, 38th post.

Wish people could be made to stop posting stats ;P

No complaints, other than "The Book of Xenu" should be accessible to all.
  39. Anonymous Member

I have been browsing WWP mostly as a guest lately. The infraction system (yellow card, red card) is not visible from a guest point of view. This might be useful guests that are unfamiliar with WWP to understand what crosses the line. It might make lurkers feel a little more welcome and not feel like they are watching a battle of who could care less. Not sure if it is a big change or not. x-posting to the moderation thread.
  40. Tags like this?

Can you explain how the tags work? Did I forget to RTFM? Is there enough there for a "read me" thread?

Just now I clicked on the "magazine" tag and then searched for "Time", but I think "Time" created a new search, instead of searching within the results for "magazine".

Here is a tagging system I find pretty intuitive (but you must register and be logged to see them):

LinuxQuestions.org - where Linux users come for help

Tags can be the exact chip you are having problems with, the linux distribution you are using, whatever (you aren't limited to WWP's tag cloud). Gives super-precise search results (if only more people on LQ would use them!).

(This would work well for scilon terms like dev-t, flunk, purif, etc. but wouldn't work well for the different insulting nicknames of Hubbard or Miscavige.)

The current WWP searching (tags or your own keywords) is okay, I guess (but I don't know if I can combine the two, so an explanation would be nice).

And if WWP uses different forum software, so LQ's tags might not be possible. It's just something I like. Seems intuitive to me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.