Customize

"If He Dies, He Dies" book by Ron Miscavige Sr., David Miscavige's father

Discussion in 'Media' started by The Wrong Guy, Jul 1, 2015.

1. White Tara Global Moderator

Nice, the awakening of people makes me happy :)
    • Like Like x 6
  2. anonysamvines Member

""There wasn't any reason to tell him [David Miscavige]" about the investigators, Monique Yingling says. "They [the Church's attorneys] decided that the private investigators were following Ron, first of all, for his own well-being and his own safety. They were also concerned that he might somehow, because he was an elderly man with David's name, become the pawn of some of the anti-Scientologists out there."

Yingling was right about it being no big deal that lawyers do hire PI's. They do it a lot on behalf of their clients. (Source was a PI in UK).
    Never heard of one paying out of their own pocket for a long term 24/7 welfare check on even a client, let alone a non client, just cos they were old

So the lawyers just decided off their own bat to hire such expensive and protracted surveillance just in case and didn't bother to tell anyone before or during?
    They didn't have direct instructions from the client - if not the Chairman of the board (lol) then some other scapegoat, sorry I meant Company Oficer with the authority to authorise such actions and expenditure?
    They don't get to do stuff off their own bat without direct instruction. Especially when it comes to using the clients money. They for sure weren't paying out of their own pocket without reimbursement.
    There are strict regulations about handling client monies. Such as no spending without direct authorisation/instructions. Ya know to prevent lolyers from embezzling funds.
    Yingling is a tax attorney and sure as hell knows this.

Perhaps the relevant authorities need to look into it.

The wording seems a bit off to me as well ...

They [the lawyers] decided that the private investigators were following (2excuses)

As opposed to
    They [the lawyers] instructed the private investigators to follow Ron because of concerns ...

Or the more correct
    The lawyers were instructed to hire ...

Doesn't the way Yingling phrased it sound like a not well thought out effort to keep Slappy out of the firing line. Without thinking about the implications. Just like the Johnsons' letter to The UK publishers - Ron couldn't know about Slappy because they had no meaningful contact after Slappy joined the Sea. org - despite Ron also being in the Sea Org and at the same base.
    • Like Like x 6
  3. Jeff Jacobsen Member

The thing that struck me most is that a non-Scientologist attorney was chosen as spokesperson. Why? Why didn't DM come on and defend himself? Why not a Scientologist?
    • Like Like x 4
  4. The Wrong Guy Member

These posts are from a 2010 thread:
  5. The Wrong Guy Member

Church Or Prison?
    Ron Miscavige Shares Details Of His Heart-Racing Escape From Scientology Compound

The father of the church's leader says the conditions were unbearable.

Ron Miscavige, estranged father of Scientology leader David Miscavige is speaking out about the allegedly inhumane conditions at the “Gold Base” church compound, and how he and his wife planned their daring escape.

Ron, now 80, sat down with 20/20 to share his experience. Although Gold Base was described to them as paradise, they soon realized that was not the case after moving there in 2006. Ron claimed that the residents of the compound were expected to work endlessly and were under constant surveillance. “I’m living on a compound… where your mail going out is read before it’s sealed and sent out, where before you get your mail, it’s opened and read before you get it,” he said. “Phone calls, you’re on the phone, somebody else is listening on an extension.”

Ron also said that he was punished when he stepped out of line. One alleged example of such punishment was “over-boarding,” a practice in which Sea Org (clergy) members would throw a person overboard from a ship with their clothes on.

The church’s attorney Monique Yingling denies the claims. “These are people that have dedicated their lives to something they believe in… They may work hard. They may work long hours… but they enjoy it.” Moreover, Yinglang insists that over-boarding is voluntary. “When you jump off… you commit yourself to the sea, so that you’ll be cleansed and you come back, you know, better.”

Continued here, with open comments:
    http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/ron-miscavige-escape-scientology/
    • Like Like x 3
  6. failboat Member

ABC kept the party going on even after 20/20! They also re-played a lot of Ron's interview and re-packaged the content for ABC Nightline last night

Video links -

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/vid...-miscaviges-father-relationship-part-38781791

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/ron-miscavige-scientology-tore-family-part-38781840

Full episode will be available here in a week, or sooner if you sign in with your cable provider (I think? I am watching it now and I just clicked a provider randomly ) - http://abc.go.com/shows/nightline/e...david-miscaviges-father-on-their-relationship
    • Like Like x 4
  7. anon8109 Member

Miscavige has a soft spot for his dad.

After he blew the seaorg Miscavige gave him $100 thousand towards a house(!) and didn't even get him to sign a non-disclosure agreement(!!)

If this were anyone but his father you know that wouldn't happen.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Disambiguation Global Moderator

I tweeted this thread instead of the big list. Oops I'll go back and try some more. Twitter is confusing.
  9. RightOn Member

AGAIN
    And where is the record of it? Where did the money come from?
    How can COB afford such a large sum of money with his "paltry salary"?
    That is not a small chunk of change. Bank records?
    COB has 100 thou in his bank account that he can just hand over to his Dad?
    Not to mention the new car too.
    WHY?
    Hey IRS, wake up!

EDITED:
    PLUS PAYING THE PI'S? Lawyer's bill?
    • Like Like x 3
  10. RightOn Member

<3
  11. failboat Member

Another birthday present for COB -

i1a1q8.jpg

'Explore in depth (119 more articles)'
    • Like Like x 1
  12. RightOn Member

^^^^ heh heh
    Delicious tears of the tiny pounding fists makes me swoon
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Disambiguation Global Moderator

Ok diditrite
    • Like Like x 1
  14. http://abcnews.go.com/US/book-excer...ir-ruthless-scientology-son/story?id=38760456

The following is excerpted from "Ruthless: Scientology, My Son David Miscavige and Me," by Ron Miscavige with Dan Koon. Copyright © 2016 by the author and reprinted by permission of St. Martin's Press, LLC.

[IMG]
    PROLOGUE
    The pocket t-shirt is a handy item. Cell phones, reading glasses, shopping lists—they all fit neatly inside that little cloth cavity. Of course, if you’ve got your cell phone in there and you bend over, it will more than likely fly out.
    In July 2013, I was living in Whitewater, Wisconsin, a town of 14,000 that lies 45 minutes southwest of Milwaukee. One morning, I had to do some shopping at Aldi’s market in nearby Janesville. I came out with my bags and leaned in past the steering wheel to set them on the floor in front of the passenger seat. As I did so, I reached up with my right hand to keep my phone from falling out of my shirt pocket. I’ve done that a million times. After you’ve dumped your cell phone or glasses on the ground once or twice, it becomes an almost automatic action.
    There is something called the butterfly effect. Mathematician and meteorologist Edward Lorenz came up with the theory that a butterfly flapping its wings in the Amazon jungle could result in a hurricane some weeks later in the Caribbean.
    Little did I know that the simple, automatic action of reaching my hand to my chest was not only being observed but, like the butterfly’s wing, would set in motion events that I, and many others, never expected. About a week later, I was sitting at home in Whitewater one evening when I heard a knock on the door. I answered and was surprised to see an officer from the Whitewater Police Department.
    “Are you Ron Miscavige?” he asked.
    I don’t have a guilty conscience, but a police officer’s appearance in a place where I have been living for only a few months and asking for me by name sent my antennae up immediately.
    “Let’s go to the garage so we can talk privately,” I said.
    I had no desire to alarm my mother-in-law unnecessarily. She did not have a clue about why my wife, Becky, and I had suddenly showed up in her life in the spring of 2012, and I was stumped as to what the officer wanted. I closed the front door, went around to the garage and opened it.
    “What’s this about?”
    “I have some information for you,” he began. “You have been followed by two private investigators hired by the Church of Scientology for the past year.”
    “What?! You’ve got to be kidding me!” Physically, this was like being punched in the gut. Emotionally, I was totally shocked.
    “No, sir, I am not kidding about this.”
    “Jesus Christ, man. I’m being followed?” I could not believe what I was hearing. It was totally out of the blue.
    “As far as getting more information about this, you can go to the West Allis police station because they are the ones that arrested one of the PIs.”

The officer left, and I called Becky, who was at work, to tell her what had just happened. My mind was racing. I began scouring the past year of my life, trying to find clues. Who had been following me? Were there signs that I had ignored? I told myself I should have known something was going on. How could I have been so blind? After a few minutes of mental cacophony, my head cleared and I contacted the police in West Allis. They arranged for me to come down, but the very next day they sent someone over from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) with another member of the Whitewater police to check my car. Apparently, the PIs had attached a GPS device to my car to track my movements. I was even more stunned, if that was possible. Honestly, I was in disbelief about the whole thing. Life had been going really well, and suddenly a bombshell was dropped right in the middle of it.
    The ATF agent wasn’t feeling well, however, and he never completed the check of my car to locate the GPS, but the following day Becky and I went down to West Allis and talked to the police. They sat us down at a long table in a conference room. Shortly, the detective who had made the arrest a few days earlier came in and introduced himself as Nick Pye. He was built like an NFL linebacker who could bench-press 400 pounds, and, after we got to know him, it turned out that he actually could bench-press 400 pounds. Yet his demeanor was utterly calm and unpretentious. In my experience, those are the toughest guys of all—the ones who don’t need to act tough.
    “I am going to fill you in on what happened, but, first, let’s get your car checked out,” he said.
    We brought the car into the service bay where they work on the police cars. They put it up on a lift and a mechanic checked the wheel wells.
    “Yep, this is where they had one,” he said, pointing up to a rear wheel well. “It’s no longer there, but you can see the scratches where the magnet was,” and he shined a flashlight up into the well so I could see the spot. I’d been driving around for a year broadcasting my every turn to the two guys that had been following me. Goddammit, what a sickening thought.
    “This is wild,” I said to Detective Pye. “I can’t believe it.”
    “Do you have any idea why they were following you?”
    “Well, maybe they were concerned that I would go to the media or something. I’m the father of the Chairman of the Board of the Church of Scientology, and last year we left the organization. And maybe he was a little concerned about my health. But I really don’t know.” I was fumbling for an answer because the whole thing was still unreal to me.
    “Listen,” he said, “I hate to tell you this, but I’m going to have to.”
    He thought for a minute, and I could see that he was searching for the right words. I was a little apprehensive. What now? Finally, he let me have it straight.
    “Look, they saw you in a parking lot at a store, and you bent over and grabbed your chest with your hand. These two guys thought you were having a heart attack. Their instructions were to call if anything like this happened. When we pulled them in, they told us that none of the PIs had ever spoken to your son before. The routine was that they would contact the PI firm they were working for. The head of the PI firm would call an attorney, and the attorney would forward the information on to your son.
    “So they called their contact, and within minutes a man who identified himself as David Miscavige called them and he told the PIs, ‘If he dies, he dies. Don’t intervene.’”
    To say that I was shattered by Nick’s words is the understatement of the century. Shocked, stunned, incredulous—fill in your own adjectives. I couldn’t believe my ears. In fact, I heard it but did not accept it for quite some time. I think it is one of the most basic human impulses to help others, especially someone who is in dire need and especially a family member. And for a son to say that about his own father—just to let him die?!
    This book is the story of how that came about.
    "Ruthless: Scientology, My Son David Miscavige and Me" is out on May 3, 2016
  15. 908

They had a photo with Shelly Miscavige but didn't say who she was or that she has disappeared from view after being a highly visible Scientology leader. Seems strange that 20/20 would ignore that. Does Ron's book do the same?
    [IMG]
  16. Meh, Leah Remini already shouted that story from the mountaintops. I think everyone already knows.

It would've been difficult to mention the story of Shelly Miscavige as a mere footnote; rather, the amount of coverage it has already received probably would have required them to go into some depth, and then you run into time considerations. Maybe they originally intended to give it some mention, but it didn't make the final cut. Idk, let them make their own editorial decisions.

Don't forget, ABC went all-out by putting this on GMA, 20/20 and Nightline.
  17. failboat Member

There's a lot of new stuff today about Ron's book, but I haven't been able to find much that was new or original coverage. There are a lot of articles that rehash the main stories from 20/20 and include some newer statement(s) from CoS.

This first article from The Telegraph has what appears to be a new interview with Humfrey Hunter.

The second article below is from New York Daily News, and it appears they have received an advance copy of the book. The article is written with phrasing like "According to the book..." and describes some incidents I haven't heard about in connection with Ron's story, which I assume come from episodes described in the book itself.

SCIENTOLOGY LEADER THREATENS TO SUE HIS FATHER OVER EXPOSE
    Harriet Alexander, New York 30 APRIL 2016

Mr Hunter was preparing to publish a book about the church – an expose written by the father of its leader. Last week he received a strongly-worded legal letter from the California based group threatening to sue if he releases the book as planned on Tuesday.
    Yet the church’s attempt to silence Mr Hunter has backfired spectacularly, he believes.
    “My phone has been ringing off the hook,” said the former literary agent, who runs a one-man publishing house in London. The prospect of pitting father versus the son in court, with all the revelations that would entail, has tantalised those fascinated with the shadowy organisation.
    “Everyone wants to know about the story now,” he said. “They gave me an opportunity in sending me that letter. Now people can’t wait to see what has got the church so angry.”
    <snip>
    "I don’t think they have actually even seen the book yet,” said Mr Hunter. “I certainly haven’t given them a copy, and neither have the US publishers. So it’s funny that they are already making these generic complaints.”
    In a statement the church said: “Ronald Miscavige is seeking to make money on the name of his famous son. David Miscavige has taken care of his father throughout his life, both financially and by helping him in even the most dire circumstances.”
    Mr Hunter said that Mr Miscavige was motivated to write the book by the deep sadness he felt at losing his family. A father of four, three of his children are devoted Scientologists and only his elder son, also named Ron, has left the church.
    “It means a great deal to him,” said Mr Hunter. “His family – his son and two daughters – won’t speak to him. He’s not a young man, and they are the closest relatives he has.”
    Tony Ortega, a leading expert on Scientology, said that the book was likely to hit the church hard because Mr Miscavige was a dearly-loved figure in the organisation.
    “Ron’s book is dangerous, because he was very popular,” he said. “And I think it’s going to be hard to ignore.
    “Scientology has been in crisis for years. More and more people are leaving, because David is just so ruthless.
    “All the people close to him say that David sees enemies everywhere. I suppose this book will just prove to him that there are snakes at every turn.”
    <snip>
    And as he prepares to publish, Mr Hunter was bracing himself.
    “It would all be brilliantly entertaining,” he said. “If it weren’t so sinister.”

Full article here - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...eader-threatens-to-sue-his-father-over-expos/

Father of Scientology boss David Miscavige bares all on escape from church, compares son to despot in grim new book

BY SHERRYL CONNELLY

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Updated: Saturday, April 30, 2016, 3:16 PM
    The Church of Scientology’s Miscavige clan is the family that preys together — and apart.
    David Miscavige, chairman of the board of controversial religious group, and his 80-year-old father are waging holy war over the dad’s explosive new book “Ruthless.”
    <snip>
    According to the book, David came away obsessed with Cruise — who was still keeping his membership on the down low. The COB greeted Cruise with a royal reception when the actor returned the favor and visited Miscavige.
    The two bonded, and Ron claims he was told they once allegedly staged a midnight race through Los Angeles in separate sports cars.
    <snip>
    The book, written with fellow Scientology defector/critic Dan Koon, claims the security is used to keep rank and file members corralled and roughed up at David's whim.
    Echoing published accounts of other escapees and court testimony, the book describes horrific scenes of groups of offenders held hostage for months — some for years — in “The Hole.”
    <snip>
    Ron recounts a story heard first-hand that David once forced a group of Scientologists to play a horrific game of musical chairs. The desperate players threw each other around, tearing clothes and breaking chairs, as they fought for the last seat.
    The Church claims the story is inflated, that David was merely making the point that personnel changes are like musical chairs.

The book further alleges David once interrogated a staff member in front of others by shouting questions while spitting on him. Another target was banished to live in a swamp, left to build his own lean-to, and restricted in a fenced-in area for a year.
    The church denies both stories.
    By Ron's account, David strode around in mirrored sunglasses while instituting measures as harsh as those imposed in North Korea by the notorious madman, Kim Jong Un.
    <snip>
    According to the book, members are forced to work seven days a week from breakfast to midnight. They are frequently yanked from beds in the wee hours to perform some urgent, if pointless, task.
    Yingling told ABC News that workers expected to put in long hours.

Ron writes that he went 12 years without enjoying a day off. He missed many family occasions, and was only allowed to attend his brother's funeral in the company of two minders and an armed private investigator.
    They would not allow him to talk to his oldest son, Ronnie, who had left Scientology years before.

<snip>
    While Scientology seems particularly rattled by this book, other escapees have reached out to Ron.
    Lisa Marie Presley, who also abandoned Scientology, has come to his defense. Leah Remini, whose exposé “Troublemaker" made headlines last year, is another supporter.

Meanwhile, it remains to be seen how this "Game of Thrones" battle tearing apart the first family of Scientology will play out.
    Is winter finally coming to Gold Base?
    Full article here - http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...t-scientology-tell-all-book-article-1.2619921
    • Like Like x 5
  18. [04/30/16 - 08:38 AM]
    ABC Is #1 on Friday in Adults 18-49 as "Shark Tank" Surges to a 10-Week High
    ABC spins the numbers for Friday, April 29.

20/20 (10-11pm - 5.6 million and 1.2/4 in AD18-49): At 10pm, ABC's 20/20 ranked #1 in the time period with Adults 18-49 (1.2/4 - tied w/CBS Blue Bloods). Head to head in the hour, 20/20 once again outdelivered NBC's Dateline by strong margins in Total Viewers (+33% - 5.6 million vs. 4.2 million), Adults 18-49 (+20% - 1.2/4 vs. 1.0/4) and Adults 25-54 (+21% - 1.7/5 vs. 1.4/4), delivering a larger audience than the NBC newsmagazine for the 5th-consecutie week. 20/20 held even with last week's telecast in Adults 18-49, equaling a 10-week high - since 2/19/16. 20/20 featured Dan Harris' exclusive interview with Ron Miscavige, father of the Church of Scientology leader David Miscavige, about his new memoir, RUTHLESS: Scientology, My Son David Miscavige, and Me.

Read more at http://www.thefutoncritic.com/ratin...urges-to-a-10-week-high-717014/20160430abc01/
  19. 908

It was an hour long show about a father and his son. I think it would be OK to waste 30 seconds on the father's daughter in-law and the son's wife. At least they showed this photo of Ron Miscavige and his family and zoomed in on David:

[IMG]
  20. mojo Member

• Like Like x 2
  21. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...flee-church-ruthless-son-months-planning.html

Father of Scientology leader David Miscavige tells how he and his wife escaped from California compound and drove for three days straight to flee the church and his 'ruthless' son after months of planning

• Ron Miscavige, father of Scientology leader David, left the church in 2012
    • Marine veteran, 80, says he saw his son change from a 'lovable kid' to the 'ruthless' religious leader
    • Ron's memoir, Ruthless: Scientology, My Son David Miscavige, and Me, will reveal details of why he left Scientology, and the role of his son
    • Book claims that Miscavige wrestled power away from church management
    • Says his son's temper made his management style erratic and abusive
    • Ron's memoir describes the moment he and his wife, Becky, escaped from the 'Gold Base' compound in California
    • Scientology claims the book contains 'malicious, false, misleading and highly defamatory allegations'
  22. There's more but I'm heart lazy and it's Sunday.
  23. The Wrong Guy Member

24. RightOn Member

I found Wood's comment interesting. This means he watched it or has been reading about it? Must be!
    Although he wasn't really endorsing the book, just the fact that he thinks the COS cured the dwarf's asthma.
    Oh well, nothing a sec check and a few hundred hours of auditing won't cure. Pay up John!

And reading that 20/20 got 5.6 million viewers made me very happy.
    UPSTAT! How do you like those numbers COS?:)

I think Shelly should have been mentioned also and I noticed that missing out of this interview too.
    It could have been something very simple like asking Ron:
    Your son is currently married correct? to whom?
    There has been talk about her not being seen for 10 years, what are your thoughts on that and when was the last time you saw her?
    Easy peasy.
    Maybe they wanted to ask him and he refused? Maybe he thought that would get his son in too much hot water?
    He still has a soft spot for the piece of shit. Something tells me that he may have some regrets for writing this book? I just think that is VERY possible.

edited: I say this because at the end of the interview he says he would forgive COB and shake his hand. That is the only reason why I think he may have some regrets. I hope he doesn't because it will save a lot of people and I commend Ron not only for his bravery, but for going up against his own son. That couldn't be easy no matter what the circumstances.
    • Like Like x 2
  25. Secrets of scientology blown apart as leader of cult to sue own father over book.

NOTE: The word scientology is not capitalized in the headline of the storuy.

Telegraph: Secrets of scientology blown apart as leader of cult to sue own father over book

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...eader-threatens-to-sue-his-father-over-expos/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Secrets of scientology blown apart as leader of cult to sue own father over book

Harriet Alexander, New York

1 MAY 2016 • 10:07AM

For an organisation that so doggedly defends its reputation, Humfrey Hunter thought, the Church of Scientology seemed to have made a major mistake.

Mr Hunter was preparing to publish a book about the church – an expose written by the father of its leader. Last week he received a strongly-worded legal letter from the California-based group, threatening to sue if he releases the book as planned on Tuesday.

Yet the church’s attempt to silence Mr Hunter has backfired spectacularly, he believes.

“My phone has been ringing off the hook,” said the former literary agent, who runs a one-man publishing house in London. The prospect of pitting father versus the son in court, with all the revelations that would entail, has tantalised those fascinated with the shadowy organisation.

“Everyone wants to know about the story now,” he said. “They gave me an opportunity in sending me that letter. Now people can’t wait to see what has got the church so angry.”

The book is written by Ron Miscavige, the 80-year-old father of Scientology leader David. Entitled Ruthless: Scientology, my son David Miscavige, and me, the book promises to lift the lid on the inner workings of a religion to which Ron Miscavige introduced his son. The son rose to the very top, while Mr Miscavige became disillusioned, and fled in 2012.

In the book he details how his son went to great lengths to recruit Tom Cruise, the most high-profile celebrity Scientologist, and soon learnt to enjoy the trappings of wealth - while his staff live in poverty.

“David lives like a prince,” said Mr Miscavige. His staff, he said, live like “indentured servants, at best.”

“He was deeply impressed with the public relations potential that Cruise could lend to Scientology,” writes Ron, according to Radar Online.

To impress the star at the Scientology base, “David orchestrated every detail” of an elaborate welcoming celebration, Ron writes. He arranged for late Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard‘s personal chef to prepare dinner at the pool area, which was designed to look like a luxury sailing boat. But Cruise turned up four hours late and decided he wasn’t hungry, which infuriated David.

The pair restored their bonds, however, and the younger Miscavige was best man at two of Cruise’s weddings – to Nicole Kidman, and Katie Holmes. Cruise remains a devotee, although following a series of high-profile and widely-mocked defences of the church, he now keeps his faith quiet.

And, despite the book is being kept under lock and key until Tuesday, lawyers for the church have lashed out at what they say are the book’s allegations.

They categorically deny that David Miscavige has an “erratic and abusive” management style, and that he seized power on the death of L. Ron Hubbard, in 1986, by outmaneuvering his rivals.

They say it is not true that rebellious members of the church are put in “the Hole” and subject to “violence and depravity,” and they deny that Gold Base – the Scientology headquarters 100 miles out of Los Angeles, where David Miscavige and other senior church figures live – is surrounded by a spiked fence pointing inwards.

They also deny that David Miscavige hired private detectives to follow his father after he left the California site.

In 2013, two private investigators gave taped confessions to the police that the church leader had paid them $10,000 a week to watch his father. When they saw Ron Miscavige stumble and clutch at his heart, they allegedly rang their handlers in a panic. David Miscavige telephoned them back immediately, and reportedly told them: “If he dies, he dies.”

Ron Miscavige initially wanted that to be the title of his book.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *
    • Like Like x 1
  26. failboat Member

I posted this story here yesterday, noting that it included what seems to be a new interview with Humfrey Hunter - https://whyweprotest.net/threads/if...-miscaviges-father.128710/page-7#post-2580885

It appears to have been reprinted word-for-word today, with a new title. While the by-line lists May 1, the link itself still shows the original publication date of 4/30

The original title was SCIENTOLOGY LEADER THREATENS TO SUE HIS FATHER OVER EXPOSE

The failure to capitalize in the title would seem to be an oversight, as the article itself capitalizes Scientology quite consistently
  27. 'It was an escape, you can't leave': Father of Scientology leader David Miscavige reveals he drove for three days to flee church run by 'ruthless' son.

Sun: 'It was an escape, you can't leave': Father of Scientology leader David Miscavige reveals he drove for three days to flee church run by 'ruthless' son
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...-days-to-flee-church-run-by-ruthless-son.html

'It was an escape, you can't leave': Father of Scientology leader David Miscavige reveals he drove for three days to flee church run by 'ruthless' son David

By ALISON MALONEY

THE FATHER of Scientology leader David Miscavige has recalled the dramatic “escape” from the church’s Gold Base run by his son.

Ron Miscavige said he and wife Becky had planned for months to flee from the 500-acre site in California and, having driven out of the gates, drove for three days straight.

He told ABC news they built up the trust of the compound guards who allowed them to “make regular Sunday trips to the music studio across the street” for months before they escaped.

The 80-year-old described driving out of the base, where he’d lived since 2006.

He said: “I drove out slowly so it wouldn't arouse suspicion.

He said: “When I turned left, I put my foot right to the floorboard¿ I knew we were free. I knew they couldn't catch us.

“It was an escape. You can't leave. You think you can just walk out? No. You will be stopped. I escaped.”

• Like Like x 3
  28. The Wrong Guy Member

ABC’s ’20/20′ let Scientology trash Ron Miscavige — but here’s what you didn’t get to hear

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, May 2, 2016

Mike Rinder predicted that this was going to happen. On March 20, he said that Scientology’s response to Ron Miscavige writing a book about his son, church leader David Miscavige, would follow a familiar pattern.

Rinder predicted that Scientology would fight Ron’s book by attacking Ron himself, “dead agenting” him, in Scientology jargon. As Rinder put it, the church would find a way to put out the message that “Ron is a failure at everything in life.”

And that’s what we saw Friday night during ABC 20/20 ‘s special episode about Ron and Scientology. ABC’s Dan Harris said that the church had sent him more than 120 videos of Scientologists praising David Miscavige and trashing his father.

The program showed a few moments from one of those videos. It featured an older man sitting at a piano.

“My name is Peter Schless, I’m a songwriter,” the man said. ABC skipped ahead, and then we heard him saying, “Ron was an embarrassment to me, personally.” And Dan Harris indicated that the network had heard from other Scientology musicians who trashed Ron, with one of them even calling him a “disgusting pig.”

Harris pointed out, however, that Ron had not only been a member of Scientology for forty years, a member of the Sea Org for 27 years, and its musical director for some of that time, but he had been trusted to play trumpet with the band that performed at the 2004 birthday party for Tom Cruise aboard the church’s private cruise ship, the Freewinds.

Why would Scientology put Ron in charge of its musical direction at its top international management compound, and trust him with the musical entertainment at a Tom Cruise birthday party, if he were really such a failure?

It’s hard to take seriously any official information put out by the Church of Scientology, especially videos of its members that have about as much credibility as the statements made by prisoners of war when they declare that their captors are really the good guys.

But we still wondered about Ron Miscavige and his history as a musician for Scientology, and we decided we’d try to find out a little more about Peter Schless and why he said that about Ron.

So we called up Karen Pressley, a well known former Scientologist who just happened to have been married to Schless for 20 years, from 1978 to 1998. She spent some of those years at Int Base, or “Gold,” the base where Ron Miscavige lived and worked before his escape in 2012.

<snipped>

She says that when she saw her ex-husband say what he did in the video showed during the 20/20 program Friday night, she was stunned. “All I could think of was, how Peter had sold out. What did he earn by making that statement? What kind of favor did he win with Dave for making such a statement?”

Karen pointed out that Schless might have been doing a kind of “amends” project to redeem himself after being put in what’s called “lower conditions.”

“He was in The Hole for many years,” she points out.

“He was wearing a blue Sea Org uniform shirt, but with no stripes on the shoulder. He used to be a Lieutenant JG. Maybe he lost his stripes when he went in The Hole,” she says. “Or maybe they removed officer ranks for the video, who knows.”

The effect, for someone who knew both Peter and Ron, she says, was tough to absorb. “It made me so excruciatingly sad for what Peter had become. It’s beyond sad. To make a statement like that about Ron is so bad. It’s so heartless,” she says.

Here's the full article, with open comments:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/05/02/ab...cavige-but-heres-whata-you-didnt-get-to-hear/
    • Like Like x 1
  29. 908

Daily Mail article today on Shelly and this photo:
    [IMG]
    Rare signting: Scientology leader David Miscavige and his wife Shelly (above) are seen together in a newly released photo

[IMG]
    Family affair: The picture was shared by David's father Ron Miscavige (center with first wife Loretta) and also shows his brother Ron Jr. (second from right), his sister Lori (third from left) and their children

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3569393/PICTURED-Scientology-leader-David-Miscavige-wife-Shelly-not-seen-public-2007-reported-missing-Leah-Remini.html#ixzz47WJbbJ3V
  30. RightOn Member

That article reads strangely.
    The way they worded it makes it look like the Daily Mail thought this was a new photo. Especially using the word "finally".
    Even though they state when it was taken later. Most commenters are more or less calling them idiots and saying THAT'S AN OLD PHOTO!
    They either need to write a retraction or follow up and 'splain it better.
  31. DeathHamster Member

Ron Miscavige jr blew in 2002, right?
  32. DeathHamster Member

As expected, OSA put up a Ron Miscavige Sr DA site.
    Code:
    www.ronmiscavigebook.com
    They've also redirected many of their hundreds of stalker domains to that site, also Tweets.

Stalker sites
    • Like Like x 3
  33. The Twitter account I am aware of is:

@RMiscavigeblog

https://twitter.com/RMiscavigeblog

I am also aware that the account has been reported to Twitter on the grounds of impersonation, etc. More such reports have been requested.
    • Like Like x 3
  34. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 2
  35. Dan Koon's comment on Marty's blog is perhaps relevant:

https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2016/05/02/censorship-and-hypocrisy/#comment-338453

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

dankoon | May 2, 2016 at 1:01 pm | Reply

Marty, sorry to hear that you and Mosey are catching it for her recent legal actions. All the noise and all the rancor on all sides will die out the minute that David Miscavige is removed from his position of power. He is the straw that is stirring the shit but it looks as though he is beginning to step in it big time. Once he is gone things will blow over faster than any of us realize and the need for the Bunker, Mike’s blog, yours, ESMB, etc. will be over. DM’s real ability is to keep people at each other’s throats, which keeps them away from his own. Yet, his is Throat #1.

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *
  36. anon8109 Member

Once [Miscavige] is gone [...] the need for the Bunker, Mike’s blog, yours, ESMB, etc. will be over.

Wrong. So wrong. Hubbard built the abuses into the cult. Fair game, the RPF, disconnection, the Sea Org, lying lying lying, bait and switch, front groups, miracle cures, all of it came from Hubbard.

As long as these practices continue there will be a need for the Bunker, Mike's blog, ESMB, etc.
    • Like Like x 8
  37. Quentinanon Member

"dankoon | May 2, 2016 at 1:01 pm | Reply
    Marty, sorry to hear that you and Mosey are catching it for her recent legal actions. All the noise and all the rancor on all sides will die out the minute that David Miscavige is removed from his position of power. He is the straw that is stirring the shit but it looks as though he is beginning to step in it big time. Once he is gone things will blow over faster than any of us realize and the need for the Bunker, Mike’s blog, yours, ESMB, etc. will be over."

Dan Koon is a severe Hubbard brainwash dupe. Evidently he justifies all of Hubbard's criminal activities, like Operation Snow White, Operation Speedy Gonzales, Operation
    Freakout, Operation Big Mouth, Operation Cat, Operation Bunny Bust, Operation Chaos Leak, Operation China Shop, Operation Devil's Wop, Operation Fickle, Operation Funny Bone, Operation Italian Fog, Operation Keeler, Operation Rook, Operation Snapper, Operation Sorethroat, Humanist Humiliation Program, to name a few.
    • Like Like x 6
  38. Scientology leader plans to use Northern Ireland's libel laws in bid to ban dad's book.

Belfast Telegraph: Scientology leader plans to use Northern Ireland's libel laws in bid to ban dad's book

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...el-laws-in-bid-to-ban-dads-book-34675807.html

Scientology leader plans to use Northern Ireland's libel laws in bid to ban dad's book

By Rebecca Black

PUBLISHED 02/05/2016SHARE

The tell-all account by the father of David Miscavige, leader of the church of Scientology, is due to be released in the UK and Ireland this week

A top Scientologist is threatening to use Northern Ireland's stricter libel laws to prevent a book written by his father from being published.

Ruthless: Scientology, My Son David Miscavige and Me, written by Ron Miscavige, is to be published on both sides of the Atlantic on Tuesday.

The book is believed to allege that David Miscavige seized power from L Ron Hubbard, the founder and former leader of Scientology, and makes claims about how members of the church are treated.

David Miscavige denies all of his father's allegations.

Belfast-based law firm Johnsons sent a legal letter on behalf of David Miscavige to the UK-based Silvertail Books, which plans to release Ruthless on Tuesday.

The letter said the church objected to the "false and defamatory allegations contained within" the book, and if publication goes ahead "our client will be left with no alternative but to seek the protection of UK/Irish defamation and other laws".

The Sunday Times has reported that the letter also said the church's US representatives had written to St Martin's Press, which is publishing the book in America outlining the "sinister background" of Ron Miscavige.

Humfrey Hunter, the founder of Silvertail, released a statement to the Sunday Times.

"All the legal due diligence has been done so it is published responsibly, but I wasn't surprised to get the letter because they will try anything they can to fight their corner," he said.

Mr Hunter said the legal threat would not affect plans for the release, and he was confident at being able to defend a legal challenge.

"(Ruthless) shines a light on the person at the head of the church - it's a story that's never been told," he said.

"The Church of Scientology has only ever had two leaders: L Ron Hubbard and then David Miscavige.

"Miscavige is a hugely significant figure in the church. People have written things about him, but no one has ever written from a perspective as close as this. It's utterly fascinating."

The law on defamation was updated in England and Wales in 2013. Under the new guidelines, claimants have to show they have suffered "serious harm" before suing.

However, the reforms do not apply in Northern Ireland after being blocked by Stormont.

It has prompted warnings that our unreformed system poses a threat to freedom of speech.

• Like Like x 2
  39. RightOn Member

Oh COB, if you want more bad publicity and to make the book more controversial and give it a boost in sales, by all means...
    Please Carry On you Glorious Fool
    • Like Like x 3