Customize

"If He Dies, He Dies" book by Ron Miscavige Sr., David Miscavige's father

Discussion in 'Media' started by The Wrong Guy, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Sekee Member

Scientology always used Carter-Ruck to represent them in libel cases in the UK. I wonder why they’ve changed to Johnsons Solicitors.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. anon8109 Member

Could it be that Carter-Ruck knew that this was a losing case and didn't want to tarnish their reputation with it?

Don't big law firms regularly turn down cases they know that they can't win?
    • Like Like x 2
  3. failboat Member

More of the shitstorm -

http://www.eonline.com/news/760498/...-miscavige-s-father-to-write-scientology-book

http://www.celebuzz.com/2016-04-28/leah-remini-encourage-scientology-leader-father-memoir/

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/289...-miscavige-threaten-sue-publisher-dad-memoir/

http://www.chch.com/scientology-leaders-father-writes-tell-book/

http://www.insidehalton.com/whatson...raged-scientology-leader-s-dad-to-pen-memoir/

This last one from Daily Mail has some original reporting. Apparently, they got a reporter to try to question the PI Powell who got arrested while following Ron Miscavige. The reporter lists a town in Tennessee in his by-line. The rest of the article mostly rehashes the story of the PIs and the threat to sue Ron's book.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...9mm-Glock-laser-site-two-rifles-stun-gun.html

The PIs, father-of-seven Dwayne Powell, 44, and his 27-year-old eldest son Daniel, refused to speak to Daily Mail Online.
    When asked for at his wife’s pizza restaurant in Waynesboro, Tennessee, Dwayne scurried out the back door and sped off in his red Dodge Ram, leaving a 20 ft-high plume of dust along the path to his home just a few yards away.

The house is surrounded by signs warning visitors ‘If you can read this you are in range', and ‘No Trespassing. Violators will be shot. Survivors will be shot again'. Others show pictures of high-powered weapons saying ‘We don’t call 911'.

EDITED TO ADD THIS EXCERPT, BECAUSE IRONY:
    Dwayne called his Roffler contact and within two minutes, David Miscavige called him telling him not to intervene. ‘If he dies, he dies,’ Miscavige allegedly said.
    Daniel told police that after that incident he viewed David Miscavige as ‘an animal’ and vowed to call 911 if Ron appeared in trouble again.
    ‘Who could let their father die like that?’ he asked police.
    • Like Like x 5
  4. fishypants Moderator

This is true, and the switch is interesting.

I would imagine that Carter-Fuck are happy to take the client's money either way.

New firm's logo matches these guys

http://johnsonssolicitors.com/what-we-do/media/reputation-management-defamation/

but I've never heard of them (not that that means much).
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DeathHamster Member

Crushing a book is hard work.

6. DeathHamster Member

They've used Paul Tweed aka Johnsons Solicitors before to personally represent David Miscavige to try to block Going Clear on TV.

Category: Paul Tweed
    • Like Like x 8
  7. Quentinanon Member

Dwayne Powel in particular, is a dangerous emotionally volatile paranoid who should not have access to deadly weapons of any kind. He had prior violent domestic battery offenses. It's ironic to me that he works for an organisation that purports to bring it's adherents superior states of mental health. Those signs around his house advertise his state of mind and would make great evidence for plaintiffs at trial in case he harms anybody.
  8. failboat Member

• Like Like x 3
  9. DeathHamster Member

Only point in his favor is that when he thought Ron Sr was having a heart attack, he called it in. (not much of a point...)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. The Wrong Guy Member

Ron Miscavige Claims the Church of Scientology Hired Private Investigators to Spy on Him | ABC News

Quote:

Ron Miscavige, the father of the Church of Scientology leader David Miscavige, claims the Church hired two private investigators, who followed him for over a year after he left the Church in 2012, to spy on him.

In an exclusive interview with ABC News “20/20,” Ron Miscavige said he found out about the P.I.s after police in West Allis, Wisconsin, got a call about a man acting suspiciously.

According to the West Allis Police’s report on the incident, dated July 30, 2013, police questioned the man on the street and at first he told them he was looking into buying a house in the neighborhood. After they checked his wallet, the man was identified as Dwayne Powell, a private investigator from Florida, who then told police he was in the area “on a job,” the police report stated. Dwayne Powell said he and his son Daniel ran a private investigator firm together.

Police searched Powell’s rented SUV and inside they found an arsenal of hand guns, rifles, 2,000 rounds of ammunition, a stun gun, a GPS tracking device, a high zoom camera, a satellite computer, a bag of license plates for five different states, and what police said “appeared to be a rifle silencing device,” according to the police report.

“It sounds like he’s a hitman, doesn’t it?” Ron Miscavige told ABC News “20/20.”

West Allis Police officers, along with an ATF agent, brought Dwayne and Daniel Powell in for questioning and started tape recording the interrogation. According to the police report, when investigators asked Dwayne Powell who he was working for, Powell asked for the tape recorder to be turned off while he named his employers, which the investigators said they did and continued to write down Powell’s statements for the report.

“He stated that he was hired by the CA based Church of Scientology to conducted [sic] full time surveillance of a Ronald Miscavige,” the report said, adding that Powell said he was being paid by attorneys for the Church, “and that the main client is a David Miscavige.”

According to the police report, Dwayne Powell said there was an incident earlier that month when he saw Ron Miscavige grab his chest outside of a Wisconsin grocery store parking lot and he called the Church’s attorneys, thinking Ron might be having a heart attack.

Dwayne Powell “stated that he was called about two minutes later by a man who identified himself as David Miscavige,” the police report said. “David told him that if it was Ron’s time to die, to let him die and not intervene in any way. He stated that this is the only time that he has ever spoken to David Miscavige and that he has never met him.”

Investigators questioned Daniel Powell and tape recorded the entire interrogation. During questioning, Daniel Powell said his father Dwayne had been a private investigator for the Church for nine years and denied they were there to harm Ron Miscavige, according to the police report. Daniel told police he and his father were “sport shooters,” which is why they had firearms and ammunition in their rented SUV.

Daniel told police that he remembered the incident when his father Dwayne Powell thought Ron Miscavige was having a heart attack and said his father “called his contact and reported it,” according to the police report.

“A couple minutes later, his dad told him that David Miscavige called him directly and told him not to intervene and let Ron die if it was his time,” the police report said.

Ron Miscavige told ABC News he remembered the “heart attack” moment, and said he was just reaching for his cellphone in his shirt pocket that day. When he heard his son had allegedly said that about him, he said it felt like a “shot to the head” and he said it lead him to believe that his son David felt his “position in the church and his public relations and his image meant more to him than a father.”

Monique Yingling, a lawyer for the Church of Scientology, acknowledged in an interview with ABC News that lawyers for the Church had hired the private investigators to follow Ron Miscavige, but said David Miscavige did not know about the hiring of the private investigators to follow his father, never spoke to them, and had nothing to do with them.

“There wasn't any reason to tell him [David Miscavige]” about the investigators, Yingling said. “They [the Church’s attorneys] decided that the private investigators were following Ron, first of all, for his own well-being and his own safety. They were also concerned that he might somehow, because he was an elderly man with David's name, become the pawn of some of the anti-Scientologists out there.”

“Lawyers use private investigators all the time for, you know, varieties of reasons, and it's just no big deal,” she added.

She also said in her interview that the West Allis Police mistakenly combined Dwayne Powell’s story with his son’s story when they stopped tape recording Dwayne and took down notes by hand, and what his son Daniel told police about David Miscavige calling them was incorrect.

“It's not true, and Dwayne Powell has said that it's not true,” Yingling told “20/20.”

The Church produced a signed statement from Dwayne Powell, saying he never spoke to David Miscavige and that both the police and his son Daniel got the report wrong.

“Certain statements I allegedly made to the West Allis Police Department have been misinterpreted. I have never communicated orally or in writing, directly or indirectly, with Mr. David Miscavige,” said Powell’s statement from the Church. “I never met him. I never received any instruction or directions from him directly or indirectly. David Miscavige never was my client. The statement made in a West Allis Police Report that I received a call from a man who identified himself as David Miscavige is not correct. I did not make such a statement to police.”

“Statements made by my son, Daniel, to the West Allis Police Department asserting that I spoke to David Miscavige and that David Miscavoige said not to intervene and to let Ronald T. Miscavige die are not true,” the statement continued.

The West Allis Police Department told ABC News in a statement that they stand by their report.

“The reports which have been authored by West Allis Police Officers and Detectives accurately reflect the statements of Dwayne and Daniel Powell on July 29, 2013,” the statement said. “There is no confusion in the statements that were made by Dwayne and Daniel Powell. Dwayne and Daniel Powell were interviewed independently of one another, and their statements corroborated one another. The ‘Declaration of Dwayne Powell’ dated August 7, 2015 directly contradicts statements which Dwayne Powell made to members of the West Allis Police Department in July of 2013.”

Ron Miscavige wrote a memoir, “Ruthless: Scientology, My Son David Miscavige, and Me,” with Dan Koon, a former Church official who is now a vocal critic. It's out in stores on May 3.

Watch the full exclusive interview with Ron Miscavige on ABC News' "20/20" THIS FRIDAY, April 29 at 10 p.m. ET

Source, and video clip:
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/ron-miscav...hired-private-investigators/story?id=38730865
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Leah Remini offered to take in Scientology defector Ron Miscavige, father of Scientology leader David Miscavige.

From the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...saying-encouraged-write-explosive-memoir.html

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

'You're not going to bully people telling their stories': Defiant Leah Remini stands up to Scientology AGAIN as she supports Church leader David Miscavige's father saying she encouraged him to write explosive memoir

* Leah Remini reveals in a new interview that she encouraged Ron Miscavige to write a memoir about his son and time in Scientology

* Ron's son David Miscavige has been the head of the Church since the death of founder L. Ron Hubbard in 1986

* 'We're all gonna speak up, you're not just going to bully people telling their stories,' said Remini

* Remini also revealed that after Ron left the Church in 2012 she offered him a place to live unsure if he had anywhere to go

* Ron's book Ruthless will be released next week, and detail how his son went from a 'lovable kid' to a 'ruthless' leader

* Remini released a memoir about her split with the Church last November, Troublemaker

By CHRIS SPARGO FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 07:57 EST, 28 April 2016 | UPDATED: 08:39 EST, 28 April 2016

Leah Remini has voiced her support for the father of Scientology leader David Miscavige, revealing it was her who encouraged him to share his story following his split from the Church.

Ron Miscavige left Scientology in 2012, and has now written the memoir Ruthless, which details his son's ascent to power in the Church, and how it turned him from a 'lovable kid' to a man some members of his family no longer recognize.

'We're all gonna speak up, you're not just going to bully people telling their stories,' said Remini during a appearance on Good Morning America.

Remini wrote her own memoir about her split with the Church last year, Troublemaker.

Remini also revealed that she made a point of reaching out to Ron as soon as she got word that he had left the Church.

'I tracked him down. I called him and I offered my support, because I know he must have felt alone,' said Remini.

'I just wanted him to know that we were willing to take them in.'

When asked why she would be willing to be so generous, Remini said; 'Because there is no place for them to go unless they have family, which is very rare outside of the Church.'

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *
    • Like Like x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Memoir From Scientology Leader's Dad May Be Due to Leah Remini,

Newser has an interesting take on this.

Memoir From Scientology Leader's Dad May Be Due to Leah Remini

http://www.newser.com/story/224328/...gy-leaders-dad-may-be-due-to-leah-remini.html

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Memoir From Scientology Leader's Dad May Be Due to Leah Remini

'His story is important'

By Michael Harthorne, Newser Staff

Posted Apr 28, 2016 5:38 PM CDT

(NEWSER) – Actress Leah Remini, who knows a thing or two about Scientology memoirs, says she prompted the father of Church of Scientology leader David Miscavige to write his own memoir, which is slated to be published May 3, Us Magazine reports. "His story is important," Remini tells ABC News. "We're all gonna speak up. You're not gonna just bully people telling their stories." Ron Miscavige spent more than 40 years with the Church of Scientology—27 of them with Sea Org—before leaving in 2012. "I called him and I offered my support because I know he must've felt alone," Remini says. The church is attempting to block the publishing of Ruthless: Scientology, My Son David Miscavige, and Me, which it calls a "literary forgery" and blatant attempt to make money.

In addition to the memoir, Ron Miscavige gave an exclusive interview to 20/20 scheduled to air Friday. In a preview published by ABC News, he says he was spied on by private investigators for two years after leaving the church. At one point, police contacted one of the PIs and found rifles, handguns, ammunition, and multiple license plates in his SUV. “It sounds like he’s a hitman, doesn’t it?” Miscavige asks 20/20. Police say one of the PIs was told by David Miscavige to "let him die" if Ron was to have any sort of medical emergency. Ron Miscavige says it felt like a "shot to the head" to hear his own son say that.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Malory Member

I'd like to know more about this.

http://www.skeptictank.org/gen1/gen00306.htm

14. The Wrong Guy Member

15. Malory Member

Yeah, I had a read but I'm wondering if anyone has new info. I know I'm being a party pooper and I'm not saying I believe any allegations, but if there is any truth in it then wee Davey could be waiting to unleash it at the right time and tarnish a lot of people by saying they supported a paedo.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Could David? Would he? If the allegations are true, then David Miscavige used the Church of Scientology to cover up a rape, and possible engaged in obstruction of justice, etc.

FWIW, I've seen and heard these allegations before. Everything I've read and heard has been multiple hearsay. I've never seen any documents or other evidence.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Quentinanon Member

It isn't much of a point as if Ron Sr. died, that would have been the end of his fat pay cheques from the scientology crime syndicate.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Scientology & David Miscavige's Ruthless Game Exposed.

Published on Apr 28, 2016
    “Ruthless: Scientology, My Son David Miscavige, and Me,” a book written by Ron Miscavige, the father of Church of Scientology leader David Miscavige, is examined with author and journalist Tony Ortega just days ahead of its publication. We break down the Church’s response to the book, the latest developments in the Laura Decrescenzo forced abortion lawsuit and Lisa Marie Presley’s underground war against Scientology. Finally, we look at how former Scientology members are fighting the Church’s disconnection policy and explain the connection between cult leader Aleister Crowley and the Scientology cross, in this uncensored Media Mayhem interview hosted by Allison Hope Weiner.

GUEST BIO:
    Tony Ortega is the former executive editor of The Raw Story and The Village Voice. He’s written about Scientology since 1995, and is the author of THE UNBREAKABLE MISS LOVELY, detailing the harassment of Paulette Cooper. Ortega is also Executive Editor at TheLipTV.
    • Like Like x 3
  19. anon8109 Member

Inside Edition

• Like Like x 2
  20. Malory Member

Depends if there's a paper trail leading back to the cult or not.

Agree on the hearsay bit but it means either Ron did it or Jesse Prince was lying and I don't like either option much.
  21. Derail/
    Fucking Mallory, when I saw Denise's picture on TO's site I was like , wtf Mallory is in the news again.
    Derail over/

I need to smoke pot.
  22. White Tara Global Moderator

or possibly stop :p
  23. Hee hee
  24. DeathHamster Member

That's an inside story from Jesse Prince.

Now, the outside story... Tony Ortega cites a Philadelphia Inquirer article:
    There's a bit of a void there. Jason Nark was checking into a case over thirty years later. No wonder no one recalled anything or the alleged victim couldn't be found. If Scientology had put a fix on the case, it would have been before the preliminary hearing and the "known facts".
    Show her a picture of unclean Gene Ingram, and ask her if that was "the detective", because it sure smells like police-impersonator Gene.

Meanwhile Jesse Prince's account hasn't really been addressed. Granted, I don't know if there's any way to double-check it or get second-hand accounts.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Like Like x 6
  25. Kilia Member

Go Leah!! :)
    • Like Like x 2
  26. Malory Member

Thank you. That account's a lot less sensational than 'rape of an underage girl which had to be covered up' so it seems wee Davey's out of luck.

Good. I'll go bulk order some popcorn.
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Random guy Member

Quite. Even if it was a rape of an under-age girl, bringing it up would only cause more scrutiny of the organization.
    • Like Like x 2
  28. RightOn Member

and that little mention of his bail being paid for by the church?
    Hello?
    Tax exemption?
    • Like Like x 4
  29. The Wrong Guy Member

Ron Miscavige, his book ‘Ruthless,’ his nervous son, and Scientology Watching’s new reality

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, April 29, 2016

The earth moving under your feet this week has not only knocked a few things off your shelves, we do believe it represents a tectonic shift in the world we live in.

That world being, of course, Scientology Watching, which will get another seismic jolt tonight with ABC 20/20 ‘s episode featuring an interview with Ron Miscavige about his tell-all memoir, Ruthless.

<snipped>

While we wait for tonight’s big show, we look forward to your thoughts on whether we aren’t seeing a major shift in the way Scientology is perceived, and whether it will survive.

Your proprietor will be traveling tonight, so we’re going to be relying on our readers to provide the live-blogging on tonight’s 20/20 episode. We’re sure you won’t let us down.

http://tonyortega.org/2016/04/29/ro...us-son-and-scientology-watchings-new-reality/
    • Like Like x 2
  30. "When he was a kid, I tell you: he was a lovable kid"

Allready working his public to get what he wanted maybe ?
  31. DeathHamster Member

If Jesse Prince's story is correct, then the less sensational story is what would have been left behind after the cover-up. However, I doubt Davie will want to open that can of worms by saying "No, it really was rape, but Scientology illegally covered it up on my orders."
    • Like Like x 4
  32. anon8109 Member

• Like Like x 1
  33. failboat Member

• Like Like x 4
  34. Quentinanon Member

I think folks who were at Saint Hill when Davey was doing his auditing internship (early 1970's) may disagree as he beat up the girl he was giving "spiritual counselling" to.
    He was a vicious, smartass punk who earned the nickname "little Hitler".
    • Like Like x 5
  35. DAVID MISCAVIGE NAMED AS SUSPECT
  36. SUSPECT

suspect
  37. another123 Member

just joining the train 9dtWCLk.jpg wreck, everyone loves a good one
    • Like Like x 12