Customize

"If He Dies, He Dies" book by Ron Miscavige Sr., David Miscavige's father

Discussion in 'Media' started by The Wrong Guy, Jul 1, 2015.

1. On Publishers Weekly Radio, Ron Miscavige discusses his new book, Ruthless.

Audio at link.

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/podcasts/index.html?channel=8&podcast=577

* * * * * BEGIN INTRODUCTION * * * * *

Ron Miscavige discusses his new book, 'Ruthless: Scientology, My Son David Miscavige, and Me.' (The Church of Scientology has posted a statement about the book at www.scientologynews.org/ronmiscavige.) PW Midwest correspondent Claire Kirch provides a live report from the show floor of BookExpo America.

* * * * * END INTRODUCTION * * * * *
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Incredulicide Member

• Like Like x 2
  3. anon8109 Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. The Wrong Guy Member

What kind of person is dumb enough to become a Scientologist?

By Richard Metzger, Dangerous Minds, May 20, 2016

Quote:

If you’re on Twitter or Facebook, depending on where you live or what you’ve “liked,” lately you may have seen several promoted tweets and sponsored posts put out by the Church of Scientology disparaging the reputation of Scientology leader David Miscavige’s father, Ron Miscavige, himself a longtime Scientologist who left the Church in 2012. The senior Miscavige has recently published a rather damning tell-all memoir, Ruthless: Scientology, My Son David Miscavige, and Me, about his sociopathic seed and the authoritarian sci-fi religion of which he is the “ecclesiastical leader.” The Co$ social media alerts wanted to make sure that you’re aware of some things in his past to discredit him as his book climbs up with NY Times bestseller list. Miscavige Sr.‘s story was featured on a riveting recent segment of ABC’s 20/20 newsmagazine as well, something I think it’s pretty safe to say that his thin-skinned, used-to-getting-his-own-way, nasty-little-man son didn’t like very much.

But this barrage of promoted posts and tweets had rather the opposite effect on me than what the Church intended. It caused me instead to vaguely remember seeing a curious videotape back in the early 1990s where David Miscavige told an audience in Los Angeles that their messiah, Lafayette Ron Hubbard, had shuffled off this mortal coil, except that he put it in such a fucking ridiculous and utterly preposterously jargon-filled manner that his elite OT-level mumbo-jumbo became simply breath-taking to watch. The same guy who first showed me Heavy Metal Parking Lot had this tape. The Co$ tweet reminded me that I should share this video with our readers. (Thanks Scientology!) Of course it was on YouTube. Just skip around to various points in the video and play it down for a moment. But do watch how he beats around the bush of just saying “THE OLD MAN IS DEAD” in the first few minutes, it’s hilarious.

Now if you’ve never watched a film of Miscavige’s guru/mentor, it’s a truly fascinating — but ultimately absolutely soporific — thing to behold. L. Ron Hubbard was a master — there was simply none better — of saying absolutely NOTHING — it’s all just made-up things and half-baked concepts taken from early 20th century occult and self-help books festooned with a layer of obscure “terminology” and bald-faced bullshit — and yet playing it off as if his audience knows precisely what he’s talking about. They don’t. No one does. Existing films of Hubbard speaking directly to camera reveal a smirking, supercilious con artist who seemingly had a strategy of confusing — or perhaps trying to convince via their own self-perceived intellectual shortcomings — his audience into believing that they are hearing something of great philosophical value, but that they are still too unenlightened to understand all the terminology and “tech” talk. Mind control as an intellectual jujitsu move: Use the target’s doubts as a means to pull their strings. As the inventor and author of this meaningless jargon and the endless stream of pointless acronyms it takes to “understand” his threadbare philosophy, Hubbard assumed an authority even the most audacious con artists daren’t dream of.

Much of what Hubbard says in the first five minutes of the 1968 Granada TV documentary The Shrinking World of L. Ron Hubbard (above) makes about this much sense. But hey, if you’ll just take a few of these Scientology “courses” all will be revealed, in due course, in some expensive courses with payment due in full or installment plans. In some of his “upper level” lectures of the late 1960s Hubbard rants and raves like he’s foaming at the fucking mouth. Naturally his audience would laugh nervously at all of his speedfreak “jokes,” because if they didn’t chuckle at the Master’s unfunny remarks it meant that they weren’t “in” on something. You see how this sort of anxious dipshit groupthink might work? They were all so invested in not looking like fools that they became the biggest fools of all. The anxiety of “not getting it” serves to reinforce the Emperor’s new clothes flavor of Scientology’s groupthink. It’s evil, yet brilliant, but for it to work, the victims would need to be chosen carefully — or better still — self-selected and then vetted with a personality test followed up with some confessions whilst they were hooked up to a lie detector test!

One can only imagine how desperately certain postwar Americans wanted to shed their Christianity and felt that something called “Scientology” might suit them better than the old time religion they were raised on. But there’s an inescapable element of “we’re the only ones who get it” that seems to me to be essential to the cult’s appeal.

Hubbard’s innovations as a con man artist are undeniable — what criminal in history has ever come close to achieving his big score? No mere Three Card Monte dealer he, Hubbard was a genius at separating fools from their money. And then making them serve him like his own private armysorry — naval force. LRH figured out early that PT Barnum was right and a sucker is born every minute. And from time immemorial religions have never had a shortage of new victims lining up to be exploited either. Combining the two? Remarkable! But it — the whole Scientology gestalt — as successful a tax free con as it has obviously been, is really not a particularly sophisticated one. The particulars can be pretty crude and It only works on dummies ultimately. It’s a “belief system” (or self-help religion if you prefer) for stupid people, broken people, friendless people, losers, and feeble-minded rubes. The whole thing is so patently idiotic on the surface — or at least it should be seen as such — that anyone even remotely competent and self-possessed would just walk right past a folding table staffed by someone in a fake navy uniform offering them a FREE PERSONALITY TEST. Unless… unless they wondered if Scientology really did have some sort of “secret teaching”... But only an idiot would take the time to ponder that, wouldn’t they? BINGO! Step right up, step right up: We have found our next mark.

In the 1970s Scientology was even trying to recruit via disco dances. I have several crude lime green flyers advertising these nightclub-style events out in my garage. They weren’t slick at all, laid out with tape, glue and press type, not even typeset. Some were hand-lettered. These were meant to be tacked up on bulletin boards in coffee shops, bookstores, drug treatment centers and laundromats. It’s passed off like something akin to EST but with “a night of mingling and disco dancing with like-minded singles under the stars at the Scientology Celebrity Centre.” (If they told you it was a “soul-sucking authoritarian Amway™ operation with vast real estate holdings along Hollywood Blvd” would you have still rushed to put on your boogie shoes?)

I lived for a few years in the mid 90s near Hollywood Blvd. The Sea Org Scientologists — the “elite” ones in the goofy naval uniforms who’ve signed billion year contracts with the Co$ — were a common sight, not just manning the personality evaluation sites set up in front of the various Scientology centers along the touristy strip, but also in some of the cheap (now long gone) greasy spoon breakfast joints that dotted the landscape near the Co$ owned buildings where they worked for pittance wages. I made it a sport — no really, it was a hobby of mine, a true pastime I promise you — to eavesdrop on their conversations as often as possible. I’d go straight to the booth or table nearest the Scientologists and shamelessly eavesdrop on their conversations. I did this deliberately, but it was next to impossible to avoid listening to their conversations in some of these places anyway. It was really something I discovered without meaning to. I was just eating breakfast. They were the ones having the loud, animated and incredibly bitchy discussions in a near empty diner. Two Sea Ogres at a time was optimal. Larger groups were less interesting. A conversation between just two of them could get revealing in ways that even a third person present would put a damper on.

There were two uniformed Sea Org members — both women — who I’d see constantly in one of my local “eggs and coffee for $1” morning haunts. They were short, squat spinsters with bad glasses and bad hair. They looked like a couple of defeated middle-aged Tina Belchers if she had joined some rich weirdo’s private navy. You could just tell from looking at them that they were low level dogsbody Scientologists. I probably pretended to read the Los Angeles Times while giggling to myself behind it over what these two talked about at least forty times over a two year period. And although I will say again that I was actively listening and eavesdropping on their conversation, theses two — who I only WISH I’d have been able to tape secretly Shut Up, Little Man!-style — would speak loudly about their fellow Scientologists in the meanest and most cutting ways. I came to the conclusion early on that they were both completely insane, probably roommates and potentially borderline homicidal. If they’d have sat there and plotted a murder together in one of those booths, it wouldn’t have surprised me in the slightest. Many of the times I’d listen in on two Scientologists talking — not just them, but they were the worst — it seemed obvious that the Org must’ve bred not only extreme paranoia in its members (those billion year loyalty pledges must’ve chafed at times) but also that it was apparently only successful at attracting bitter shitty people who wanted to look down upon others. It was the common thread among them: They were all basically assholes, people who felt poorly about themselves, yet who felt — or wanted desperately to feel — a sense of superiority over the rest of mankind. Perversely they also seemed to desire some sort of fellowship with others who felt the same way and who, you would think, were not a whole lot of fun to be around. (The other subset of low level Scientologists I’d simply describe as “gullible” or if I wanted to be charitable, “seekers” although I think their numbers have dwindled over the past two decades. Sadly I’ve never been able to observe the more predatory Scientologists at the upper levels firsthand except in passing.)

If you’re wondering what are the common psychological and moral traits that the Scientology personality test uncovers, I took it once in Boston when I was maybe 16 or 17, in the early 1980s. At that time (and I doubt this has changed much) it was a rather long test that transparently aimed to get to you reveal if you were someone who considered yourself a “follower” rather than a “leader”; if you were someone who thought they got pushed around a lot in life, but you were okay with this; were you an easily exploitable dumbass and would your parents try to sue if you joined the Co$? I figured this out, not in retrospect, but as I was taking the test. It wasn’t subtle! When I finished, my test was scored by a Nigerian guy with big teeth — he was a real life Eddie Murphy character — who had been in the US for three weeks and in Scientology for two of them. I know this because I will never forget what he said to me as he grinned his toothy smile:

“I have been in US for three weeks and in Scientology for two of them AND I LOVE IT!”

The poor guy hardly spoke any English, but I heard him say the above statement several times in the hour or so that I spent in his proximity and it’s always stuck with me for some reason.

The article includes photos and open comments, here:
    http://dangerousminds.net/comments/what_kind_of_person_is_dumb_enough_to_become_a_scientologist
    • Like Like x 4
  5. anon8109 Member

This blog article starts out strong but then falls into the trap of blaming the victims. My guess is that the author was influenced by chanology, if not directly involved with it, based on using terms like co$, sea ogre etc.

While cult members do carry personal responsibility for their choices when they hurt others on behalf of the scientology corporation, this article characterizes them all as having low intelligence for not seeing through the scam as the author did when taking the personality test as a teenager.

I think by now there has been enough public attention to the question of how people fall victim to the scientology scam, that this sort of victim blaming shows a lack of understanding the complexity of the situation, where victims are also turned into abusers through cult brainwashing.

As has been pointed out many times, most cult victims have above-average intelligence.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. anon8109 Member

Ron Miscavige @ 28:22

7. Random guy Member

Yes, and above-average gullible. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I'm not an Einstein in any way, but having spent years at Uni I'm probably no dummy either. I did however spot the con a mile off back in they day when I was approached, just like the article author. I don't think I'm particularly sharp at human interactions, but the guys that I saw end up in the cult came from somehow sheltered environment. They were smart all right, but they were also quite introvert and nerdy, lacking what I would consider normal "world savvyness".
    • Like Like x 2
  8. JohnnyRUClear Member

I enjoyed reading it, but you raise valid points.
    ...as do you. :)

Also, video related:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Random guy Member

I guess that proves my point of "not particularly sharp at human interaction" bit :oops:
  10. RightOn Member

GRRRRRRR!!!!!
    Again Ron, PLEASE stop saying that the beginning courses in Scientology are beneficial.:mad:
    This is how MANY people have stayed in by being pressured into taking the next course, and then the next one......
    How would you feel if just ONE person joined out of curiosity from your interviews?

Think about it! It is not important for you to mention this.
    You obviously still think it is beneficial, as you have said it in every damn interview you have done. That is HUGE great PR for the cult!

The drilling courses in the beginning and the emeter are what people get hooked on. They want to see where it will take them. You should know this!
    SO PLEASE STOP IT!
    Thank you
    • Like Like x 3
  11. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology’s newest attack on Ron Miscavige: Could his son David be any whinier?

By Tony Ortega, May 23, 2016

Quote:

It’s been nearly three weeks since bookstores received Ron Miscavige’s memoir, Ruthless: Scientology, My Son David Miscavige, and Me, and the news about it is finally dying down. The book has fallen off the New York Times bestseller charts after debuting at #1 in ebook nonfiction. But its rankings at Amazon are still healthy and we expect it will continue to sell well for quite a long time.

Meanwhile, Ron’s son, Scientology church leader David Miscavige, is continuing to hit back. You probably received the same email we did this morning from one of Scientology’s proxies, directing us to the newest salvo at a website set up by the church to attack Ron and his book. This time, it takes aim at an attempted rape charge stemming from a 1984 incident which we told you months ago would be a focus of the church’s “Fair Game” operation against Ron.

In January 2012, Philly.com reporter Jason Nark wrote an excellent piece about David Miscavige’s background in New Jersey, near Philadelphia. In that piece, Nark got his hands on the original court documents in Ron’s criminal case, and he found that it involved a torn blouse and an identification of Ron that the judge threw out, along with the case. But here’s the important part. When Nark asked the Church of Scientology for its comment on the case, it characterized Ron Miscavige as a “victim” in that prosecution. (Ron at that time was still working and living at Scientology’s secretive “Int Base” near Hemet, California. He and his wife Becky didn’t make their escape from the base for another two months, on March 25, 2012.)

Even the new smear site has to acknowledge that Scientology doesn’t really, today, believe that Ron was guilty of the 1984 crime: “The Church does not debate Ron’s guilt regarding these charges,” the anonymously posted website says.

So what’s the point of the leering, skeezy website then if Scientology, even today, doesn’t argue with the outcome of that court case?

“Ron has no excuse for downplaying and ignoring David’s efforts in ending a horrifying episode in Ron’s life that had him scared to death,” the site says.

So because David Miscavige helped his dad get out of that scrape and then gave him a job in Scientology’s Sea Org, it’s really unconscionable that, 31 years later, Ron would write a book exposing the deprivations of the Sea Org and that his son is a shit heel to his employees?

Seriously, that’s all Scientology has, an extended whine by David Miscavige that he’s getting exposed by his dad?

Is it any wonder that this smear campaign is gaining no traction?

Source, and
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/05/23/sc...miscavige-could-his-son-david-be-any-whinier/
    • Like Like x 2
  12. The Wrong Guy Member

David Miscavige's Father Exposes Scientology's Cruelest Policy in His Book Ruthless | L.A. Weekly

Excerpt:

Miscavige says he still holds out a slim hope that his son will see the error of his ways and reform himself and change the dehumanizing church policies that eventually drove Miscavige out: “There’s always a chance Dave may read it and think, 'Wait a minute — maybe I should change some things about myself and about the church.'"

For now, though, the church is fighting back in its usual way, he says. “They’ve bought up over 500 iterations of my name online and they all direct to a website that depicts me as a horrible person.”

http://www.laweekly.com/arts/david-miscaviges-father-exposes-scientologys-cruelest-policy-6957079
    • Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ron Miscavige: Scientology corrupted my son.

Audio at link.

Newstalk ZB: Ron Miscavige: Scientology corrupted my son

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/on-air/...o/ron-miscavige-scientology-corrupted-my-son/

* * * * * BEGIN INTRODUCTION * * * * *

Ron Miscavige spent about 25 years in the Church of Scientology - he met Tom Cruise and produced music with John Travolta.

When he joined, it wasn't the church organisation that it is now, and it is that way, he claims, because his son, David - who heads the church worldwide - ruined it.

Ron Miscavige joins Mike Hosking to talk about his new book, Ruthless.

* * * * * END INTRODUCTION * * * * *
    • Like Like x 2
  14. A Current Affair, a news program on the Nine Network in Australia, has just done a story on Ron Miscaviage vs Slappy. It was pretty good.

They should have it up on their website tomorrow. I'll link to it then.

It's the 26th May episode. It looks like you have to register to view.

https://www.9now.com.au/a-current-affair
    • Like Like x 3
  15. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology leader's father convinced 'absolute power' has corrupted his son | Nine Network Australia

A war of words has erupted among the first family of Scientology, with the father of the church's leader claiming his son is a paranoid control freak and a bully.

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2016/...onvinced-absolute-power-has-corrupted-his-son
    • Like Like x 4

16. Here's a link that should work for folks in America - it does for me. Twelve minute video.

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/article/9123475/ron-miscavige
  17. JohnnyRUClear Member

• Like Like x 1
  18. Random guy Member

19. The Wrong Guy Member

How Scientology’s smears of Ron Miscavige could end up a bigger problem for his son Dave

By Jeffrey Augustine, The Underground Bunker, May 30, 2016

On May 3, Ron Miscavige published a book about his son, Scientology leader David Miscavige. Titled Ruthless, the book is an unsparing account of how Ron watched his son take over Scientology and became a pitiless dictator.

David struck back with a typical Scientology “Fair Game” retaliation scheme. In this case, it was in the form of an anonymous smear website attacking his own father, as well as a concerted effort to market that website in online ads and in emails. Here at the Bunker, we’ve already looked at some of the claims being made on that website.

After my own close look at that material the church has thrown at Ron Miscavige, one thing stood out to me: The glaring contradictions between what David Miscavige said under oath in a 1994 court declaration, and what’s being said about him in the church’s attacks on his father.

<snipped>

We can only wonder if, when they were putting together this attack on Ron, they realized what interesting evidence they were supplying the IRS.

Now, will the IRS pay it any mind?

http://tonyortega.org/2016/05/30/ho...uld-end-up-a-bigger-problem-for-his-son-dave/
    • Like Like x 3
  20. anon8109 Member

The IRS could have revoked the tax exemption any time it wanted to if the will was there. There is plenty of evidence that the scientology corporation has failed to uphold its end of the agreement, by for example denying refunds to anyone asking for one, or by Miscavige's lavish lifestyle (inurement), or by the testimony of thousands of ex-homo novis that Miscavige is responsible for all kinds of abuses.

The IRS doesn't want to fight scientology probably because it is afraid that it will be subjected to the same kind of harassment it suffered when the cult intimidated it into giving it tax exemption in the first place.
    • Like Like x 1
  21. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  22. For Ron Miscavige, life after Scientology hitting high notes.

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: For Ron Miscavige, life after Scientology hitting high notes

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwau...hitting-high-notes-b99739824z1-382443111.html

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

By Bruce Vielmetti of the Journal Sentinel

For a man who devoted half his long life to the Church of Scientology, quit, wrote a book highly critical of its leader — his son — and now suffers the church's wrath, Ron Miscavige comes off as a pretty happy, upbeat guy.

The 80-year-old West Allis resident sat down this week to talk about his memoir, "Ruthless: Scientology, My Son David Miscavige and Me," which almost immediately landed on The New York Times bestseller list and put the first-time author on major network news shows after it was published last month by St. Martin's Press.

It also thrust him into the crosshairs of the church, which calls the book a lie and launched a website portraying Miscavige as a wife-beater, ungrateful son and huckster trying to make a buck off his famous son.

Plus, he assumes he's still under constant surveillance, but doesn't seem to care.

"You don't ever beat a bully by running away," he said.

His main hope for the book, he said, is that it might lead to an end of the church's policy of "disconnection," in which all members stop contact with anyone who leaves. He remains cut off by two daughters still in the church.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *
    • Like Like x 2
  23. John Duignan, author of The Complex, has posted a review of Ruthless. The review is long, thorough, insightful and in many places devastating. I will excerpt below only one small portion of particular interest, albeit one that is only at first glance seemingly off-topic.

Seriously, the review is powerful and says many things some others were afraid to say in print.

This is some of the best writing I've ever seen on the topic of Scientology. The discussion of Niccolò Machiavelli, David Miscavige and Scientology is brilliant.

Steemit: Ruthless a Review and Critique

https://steemit.com/ruthless/@johnanchovie/ruthless-a-review-and-critique

To study a social culture in its uncontaminated form is the ne plus ultra of the anthropologist. This maxim has bled over into the Sociology field where academics tend to discount the testament of the ex-Scientologist, believing that they cannot give an unbiased account of the culture. This is, in my view, akin to trying to understand psychiatric methodology and practitioners by interviewing the unhinged psychotic.

There was a time in the mid-nineties when the Scientology propaganda office sanctioned the ostensibly ‘free and open access’ study into the Scientology culture by a number of sociology academics. I recall seeing these willing dupes being led by the nose through a finely orchestrated theatrical presentation, not unlike that put on for visiting tourist parties to North Korea. The trouble was, that these academics, so thrilled that they finally had access to the ‘real Scientology’, naïve fools, bought the ploy, hook line and sinker. They left and produced a series of academic articles that might have been written by the Scientology propaganda office. In a sense, that is exactly what did happen.

While Scientology is broadly reviled in the public sphere, it is still given leeway by academics who remain deeply imbued with their relativist orthodoxy. This academic laxity bleeds over into governance sector. The American tax authorities are happy to call it a ‘church’ and wipe their hands of the numerous accounts of gross violations of human rights and accusations of criminal activity. It is treated rather like a distant rogue state, a banana republic that is allowed to stamp on and crush its populace as long as it does not upset the domestic equilibrium.

• Like Like x 4
  24. anon8109 Member

With some light editing this book review could appear in any high quality magazine.

You are either mad when you join Scientology or you are driven mad by Scientology. By any objective measure, the practice of Scientologist is a journey into insanity. You are in a place where psychotic behaviours are normalized, celebrated even. We all witnessed Tom Cruise’s couch leaping on Oprah. We saw his unhinged behaviour in the unsanctioned ‘black-turtleneck’ YouTube interview. Tom is the ideal that all Scientologists are encouraged to emulate.
    • Like Like x 3
  25. Mt. Carmel native in flap over his son, Scientology

A relatively long and substantive article. I'll excerpt only two interesting points below.

The News Item: Mt. Carmel native in flap over his son, Scientology

http://www.newsitem.com/news/2016-06-12/Today's_Top_Stories/Mt_Carmel_native_in_flap_over_his_son_Scientology.html

Turning point

In 1985, David threw the backing of the church behind his father when Miscavige was accused of attempting to rape a woman. The case, which he dedicates a chapter to in his book, was thrown out due to the woman being unable to identify him as the attacker.

After the case was dismissed, Miscavige felt he owed something to the church, so he decided he was going to join the Sea Org.
    He ended up stationed at the Golden Era Productions base in California, which is where the headquarters of Scientology is located and where his son now lives.

He worked as a musician on the base, helping create music for video productions created by the church. After about a year, Miscavige wrote in his book that he was exiting the studio and upon seeing his son, yelled, “Hey Dave!” It was in that moment he learned his son had changed, when David’s response was a hard glare that said, “Who the hell do you think you are, yelling after me like that?”

* * * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Ending ‘disconnection’

Campaigns have been taken out against the book and people from the church have publicly ridiculed Miscavige, stating that his book is false and delusional, but he said he’s not bothered by it. Statements have even been released which allegedly came from his daughters, both of whom continue to no longer speak to him.

“They accuse me of being a terrible father and rotten, and all the worst things they could say about me,” he said. “But just before that, they couldn’t stand to be away from me and arranged to come to spend a few days with me.

“I expected this to happen,” he continued. “Once you leave, they will try to character assassinate you, but I just didn’t think they would stoop this low to do this to their father. I didn’t expect that. This is how they operate.”

His goal in writing the book was to end the practice of disconnection and allow families to be brought back together. He has received support from others who have left Scientology, including Lisa Marie Presley and Leah Remini, the actress and comedian best known for her role as Carrie Heffernan on “The King of Queens.”

Even with the knowledge that his son had him followed after leaving the church, Miscavige said he didn’t care or worry about that happening when releasing the book.

“A lot of people don’t do this,” he said, “because the church, it is litigious and they do come after people. But I don’t care. I felt I had a duty to do it. The reason I did this book was to end disconnection.”

26. Malory Member

I can't praise this piece enough, not just for the subject matter and insight but also for the quality of the writing.
    • Like Like x 1
  27. JohnnyRUClear Member

Disconnection is as good a place as any to begin the great dismantling.
    • Like Like x 1
  28. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology claims L. Ron Hubbard chose David Miscavige to succeed him, proving he didn’t

By Jeffrey Augustine, The Underground Bunker, June 14, 2016

The website that smears Ron Miscavige — presumably hosted by the Church of Scientology to distract from Ron’s book, Ruthless — is a gift that just keeps on giving. Previously, we pointed out that in an attempt to defend Scientology leader David Miscavige against allegations in the book, the website includes statements by church officials about David that directly contradict what he swore to the IRS when it gave Scientology tax exempt status in 1993.

This time, we’re looking at another claim made at the smear website — that it was Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard’s intention for David Miscavige to take over leadership of the church after Hubbard’s death.

<snipped>

David Miscavige cannot have it both ways: He cannot place himself in ASI in 1982 where he protests, “Young’s contention that I was somehow managing all Scientology Churches internationally at the same time that I was supervising Mr. Hubbard’s affairs is preposterous,” while also having his attorney Eric Lieberman claim that David Miscavige ascended to the leadership of the Church.

When L. Ron Hubbard died on January 24, 1986, David Miscavige remained in ASI for an additional fourteen months until he went to the Religious Technology Center (RTC), where he remains today. Why the delay? It stands to reason that if Hubbard had wanted Miscavige to be in charge of the entire Church of Scientology then Miscavige could have very easily produced a written order by Hubbard naming him successor. But this did not happen.

There is no evidence that Hubbard appointed David Miscavige to be his successor. Quite the contrary, the available legal evidence from the mouth of David Miscavige is crystal clear: Hubbard placed David Miscavige at ASI. By doing so, Hubbard kept Miscavige out of CSI, RTC, and CST, the ruling entities of the church itself.

(It’s not clear that Hubbard ever appointed anyone to take over after his death. He did, near the end, announce that a young couple, Pat and Annie Broeker, who had been taking care of him in hiding, were to be considered “loyal officers,” a term out of Hubbard’s space opera fiction. But it’s very unclear that this meant Hubbard intended for the Broekers to succeed him based on that document. But David Miscavige took no chances — after he took over and pushed Pat Broeker out, he had two private investigators stalk Broeker for the next 24 years, at a cost of about $12 million.)

That L. Ron Hubbard parked Miscavige at ASI in 1982, left him there, and had absolutely no communication with him, or anyone else in the Church after May 1984 (if we believe the church), argues that Hubbard did not want David Miscavige to handle or lead the Scientology movement. What Hubbard wanted is quite clear: He wanted David Miscavige to handle his private business affairs.

Instead, in the days after Hubbard died on January 24, 1986, David Miscavige maneuvered to push others out of the way so he could take control of Scientology, just as Ron Miscavige describes it in his book.

But that account contradicts the story that David told the IRS and continues to tell the public today — that he’s an “ecclesiastical” leader who is not involved in church management. And maybe that’s why he’s so sensitive about how he got to where he is today: If the IRS ever showed any interest, it wouldn’t be hard to demonstrate that Miscavige has done nothing by lie about his role in the church and how he took it over after Hubbard departed for the galaxy’s greener pastures.

Can you begin to understand why David Miscavige will do anything to avoid being deposed under oath?

There's lots more here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/06/14/sc...id-miscavige-to-succeed-him-proving-he-didnt/
    • Like Like x 2
  29. Dan Koon, co-author of Ruthless, responds to Scientology and Susan J. Goodban.

The response is lengthy and substantive. I'll excerpt only a very small part below.

Mike Rinder: Dan Koon Responds

http://www.mikerindersblog.org/dan-koon-responds/

* * * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

I don’t ever recall claiming that the church broke up our marriage. Since I never even thought it to myself, I doubt I ever said it. As for my illicit affair with Mariette, Sue should know that Mariette did not leave “a couple of weeks later” because by then both she and Mariette were in The Hole, and in fact sleeping on the floor in the same office together. The fact is that Mariette and Sue became friends in The Hole and when Mariette began acting crazy to get herself sent down to the RPF in PAC so she could blow more easily, Sue was the only one who saw through Mariette’s ruse and told her, “You’re not that crazy.” Nevertheless, Mariette did manage to be sent to the PAC RPF and blow on March 31 2004 more than three months after I escaped and our “illicit affair” did not begin until then. I am on the record stating that the church did not break up my marriage to Sue. That doesn’t mean that it doesn’t break up lots of marriages, though.

30. The Wrong Guy Member

I took a look at who is following that Twitter account, and among the 1,167 followers I noticed a lot of junk accounts:

https://twitter.com/RMiscavigeblog/followers

Then I was reminded of these threads:

VICE: Scientology is hilariously bad at online damage control

https://whyweprotest.net/threads/vi...ariously-bad-at-online-damage-control.125511/

The Church of Scientology is allegedly buying Facebook "Likes" from click farms

https://whyweprotest.net/threads/th...uying-facebook-likes-from-click-farms.130258/

Tonight I did this search:

https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=buy Twitter followers

In another search, this Reddit thread from four months ago turned up:

Scientology pays for their social media (Facebook/Twitter/Instagram) followers?

Ex-Scientologist here - I've recently been reading up how many members Scientology actually has. As some of you may know, Scn. claims that they have as many as 15 million members - The real numbers (per census' and calculations of data Scn. has released) appear to be anywhere between the 25k and 45k mark. I thought recently that a good indicator might be how many followers Scn. has on Facebook and Twitter. Roughly 450k people follow Facebook but I'm unable to take a look at the individual accounts. However, the Scn. Twitter account has roughly 70k followers...but only 11 'likes' in the entirety of the history of their account. To add on to that, each post seems to get only a handful of 'likes' or 'reposts'. If you look at the accounts of people who follow Scn., you will see that many of the accounts are 'shell' accounts - Accounts that have been created but never used other than for the purpose of following the Scn. page and some other associated Scn. accounts.

If Scn. is using this tactic on Twitter, I'd imagine that they would be doing the same with Facebook, Instagram, etc.

Just another way Scn. uses trickery to inflate their 'stats'.

https://www.reddit.com/r/scientology/comments/44856o/scientology_pays_for_their_social_media/
    • Like Like x 3
  31. The Wrong Guy Member

For Ron Miscavige, life after Scientology is hitting high notes

By Bruce Vielmetti, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, June 17, 2016

For a man who devoted half his long life to the Church of Scientology, quit, wrote a book highly critical of its leader — his son — and now suffers the church's wrath, Ron Miscavige comes off as a pretty happy, upbeat guy.

The 80-year-old West Allis, Wis., resident sat down last week to talk about his memoir, "Ruthless: Scientology, My Son David Miscavige and Me," which almost immediately landed on The New York Times best-seller list and put the first-time author on major network news shows after it was published last month by St. Martin's Press.

It also thrust him into the crosshairs of the church, which calls the book a lie and launched a website portraying Miscavige as a wife-beater, ungrateful son and huckster trying to make a buck off his famous son.

Plus, he assumes he's still under constant surveillance, but doesn't seem to care.

"You don't ever beat a bully by running away," he said.

Continued here:
    http://www.knoxnews.com/entertainme...39-6adb-346f-e053-0100007fb774-383427071.html
    • Like Like x 1
  32. The Ron Miscavige bashing site has porn or something on it now. "She had sexually serviced Ronnie 30 times over a two-month period. On one occasion when she and another prostitute serviced Ronnie together for a 30-minute threesome that included “everything,” Ronnie paid each $100." http://www.ronmiscavigebook(DOT)com/articles/human-trafficking-story-ron-miscavige-wont-tell.html

[WARNING: CLAM LINK ABOVE]

MOD EDIT: LINK DEFANGED
    [Ronmiscavigebook dot com s a Scientology site]
  33. Interviewed by police, Ronnie claimed that he had researched topless massages at “Avenue X” and Backpage. Backpage is the notorious website law enforcement officials consider a cesspool of human trafficking. It’s the same website defended relentlessly by Ron’s shill Tony Ortega when he worked for the website’s owner, which reportedly made millions in advertising dollars from Backpage. As New York Times columnist Nicholas Kristof once asked, “If prostitution of children is illegal, why is it that we allow an estimated 100,000 underage girls and boys to be sold for sex in America each year — many on a single American website, Backpage[dot]com?”
    The police report also stated that when asked point-blank if he had paid for sex during the “massages,” Ronnie “stated that he would like to answer the question truthfully but was afraid that he would get in trouble if he did so.” Police also stated that Ronnie confirmed text messages he received and sent, including one in which he agreed to buy condoms before meeting the prostitute, and that he had a password-protected image file on his phone with photos of prostitutes he had taken.
    lolololol
    This message by lolololol has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Dislike Dislike x 4
  34. Random guy Member

And we are to believe this is true why?
    • Like Like x 1