Customize

Humanitarian totalitarianism ?

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by Ann O'Nymous, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Ann O'Nymous Member

Humanitarian totalitarianism ?

2. rasputin Member

Re: Humanitarian totalitarianism ?

while I do agree that exposing the gap between rhetoric and reality is important, I'm not quite sure what positive work this is you're talking about. their drug theories are dangerous pseudoscience, their human rights work seems extremely limited and more for PR than anything else, and their anti-psych campaigning is batshit insane.

if you've got some specific examples I'm all ears, however.
  3. academianon Member

Sadly...

I think the people who join scientology really honestly want to help people, so there are these wonderful people dedicating their lives to all these things... and scientology just sucks the life out of them. Plus the money, and all the really bonkers stuff.

humanitarianism always becomes totalitarian whenever you start to try to "manage" people. People should never be managed, at least on a large scale. It is almost always oppressive, at least at our current philosophical state. Intent makes a difference, which is why the "masses" of scientologists are likely great people.. they intend to help people, but probably end up following banal policies that really end up causing harm. Maybe that is naive of me, but I like to think that :)

The ones at the top, however... those ones. Their redemption is questionable.
  4. amaX Member

i do believe that some of these people join because they want to help people. however, the whole brainwashing organization makes them zombie-fied people with little or no conscience.

every program that the cult has is based on making money. they are nothing more than a pyramid scheme and do no real cult-related charitable work. some of the public $cieno's are told to get involved with outside charities, but this is strictly for good PR. "look at all the nice $cientologists who are volunteering for our charity! they're awesome!"

yes, i do reject everything from them as bad. the outside charities are being duped. nothing they can ever do can make up for the fact that they enslave people and that they destroy lives and that they have killed. they show no remorse and have such diabolical plans about their daily criminal activities that is has proven almost impossible to get anyone to listen. but, slowly that crack is widening.
  5. Ann O'Nymous Member

I agree with what has been said so far. That is why, in my opinion, we should:

- expose the scam by analyzing how they push their own agenda while pretending to work for the public interest,

- isolate them from genuine humanitarianism.

We cannot expect people who developed a comradeship out of common campaigning for sometimes decades to change their mind like that.

What we can do is, in every instance, pointing at the vested interest scientology had to get involved. And, as the same time, put this specific case into a broader picture.