Customize

How to: Sign?

Discussion in 'How To' started by Anonymous, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Anonymous Member

How to: Sign?

Was just wondering if i could get some tips on how to make a big plaqu/sign and what is best to use for it? i.e cardboard ect?
    Thanks!
  2. coskilla Member

Re: How to: Sign?

I use magnum sharpies they are the biggest marker you can buy, however the chemical smell is overwelmins so i keep in an outside storage. and office depot uses a 2 ply like poster board is a little exspensive but doesnt bend at all in the wind perfect visibility its white of course.
  3. Ogsonofgroo Member

That corrigated plastic stuff they use for election signs is probably near ideal, and cheap as hell especially if you find where the losing candidates have dumped their signs. Hm, bit of white spray paint etc., yay! good ta go! The stuff is perty cool, light, w/p, some of the flexible stuff you can roll up as well, and durable too.
    Just a thought.

:)
  4. coskilla Member

this pic of me on ur right is spray painted on with stensils which is also ok but hard for me to do, i make signs on the fly as i protest some
  5. Vir Member

Many ways to make a sign. Just make sure it's big and readable on a distance.

You can make it by writing with permanent markers. By gluing different colors of plastic together. Spray-painting with stencils. LED signs. Other lighted signs. Double-sided. Single-sided. Made out of fabric to easily conceal and bring out at the right moment. etc.

Example:
    http://forums.whyweprotest.net/235-how/some-lost-how-stuff-30287/#post586889
  6. Re: How to: Sign?

Foam board is great stuff. I've made all manner of things with it. It comes in lots of colors and some even has faint guidelines to make writing neater.
  7. Vir Member

8. coskilla Member

9. mrfyde Member

You can get "sun shields" that go in the wind shield of your car and make letters out of colored duct tape or black gaffer's tape . They fold up and store nicely. Some are reflective others are made out of cardboard. You can cover them with cheap fabric or paper if they have a pattern or image on them.
  10. Anonymous Member

ok cool thanks!
    If i were going for something cheap, what would be the best material to make the base for the sign out of? I think you can get big pieces of cardboard on ebay quite cheaply.
  11. Anonymous Member

If you want it to stand alone, two wood frames hinged together at the top with a string or chain to to hold it in an upsided down "V" shape. Then you can attatch a cardboard sign to each side with a staple gun.
  12. Anonymous Member

13. Anonymous Member

BRB putting some cardboard boxes up for sale on eBay.

I get my cardboard from the nearby grocery store.

Here are some more types of signs:

Pizza box:
    2v8nvvd.jpg

Car trailer:
    2408630966_2566a1d8c6.jpg

Bicycle trailer:
    p1030320jkwf.jpg

Balloon:
    28ho95x.jpg

Airplane:
    2l731z.jpg
  14. FUCK Member

^^^ This.
  15. Ann O'Nymous Member

With your name...
    • Like Like x 1
  16. 8895 Member

2 words:
    Body Paint

2888341751_219d1d92bd.jpg?v=0.jpg

p1_calfan2.jpg
  17. subgenius Member

Phoenix anons new and improved:
    Noface.jpg
    PICT0006.jpg
  18. Ninja_Llama Member

Lightboxes are time consuming but are ultimately win. Also, if you do spray paint over something like an election sign (that corrugated plastic stuff), you will HAVE to make stencils to spray paint over the painted surface because markers simply don't write well over paint like that. I know, I've tried.

Most of Phoenix's plethora of signage are made with foamboard. It's sturdy, durable and easy to write on. Not exactly the cheapest thing ever, but they hold up well. Most if not all of our foamboard signs are still going strong a year later.
  19. anonymous612 Member

Heh, took a look at the back of one of our signs a while back and discovered it had "BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH" spraypainted on it. So yes, your basic school-project foam board lasts very well.
  20. i'mglib Member

You can use photoshop, then send the jpg to Costco to print.
    That's how Cult Leader, Danger Cult, and Warning Scientology were done.

Summer08137.jpg
  21. Anonymous Member

Use moar Large Black Marker for outline...You have three seconds to get a passerby to read you sign...fuck the text, go for a headline
  22. anonymous612 Member

We have different signs geared to car traffic, foot traffic, and scifag traffic (since sometimes here it's more than nonscifag pedestrian traffic) each. A short, bold, non-tl;dr sign like "DANGER: CULT ZONE" (or one of my favorites, "CULT PARKING" with an X through it) works for cars, but for people on foot interesting is more important than short, because you want them to come over and ask you about it. We've got a great (and HUEG) sign with the Time Magazine "Cult of Greed and Profit" or whatever quote on it. And then again, for scifags something like above's "Why do they open your mail?" would be great.

But don't get so into the signmaking that you lose the basic message. If you don't have, maybe...one sign that says Scientology for every five signs total you have, it gets confusing and you wind up with people going "wtf? are you scientologists? what?" at you. Nothing beats a good old "SCIENTOLOGY = CULT" or "SCIENTOLOGY HURTS PEOPLE", and that's a direct quote from oldschool 60's and 70's protestors among the public/nonanons I've shown our signs to. And if they can't figure out the message, the rest of the public can't either.
  23. subgenius Member

24. RightOn Member

If you have a sewing machine...... (or a place can sew this for you for cheapp)
    I used a white sheet.
    I cut a section out of a white sheet and put a rod pocket on either side, <->
    and hemmed the top and bottoms so it wouldn't fray.

I used stick on letters that are removable, which came in handy, so that I was able to move them to make sure what I wanted to say was correct and in line.
    I actually put letters on both sides.

When I was sure of the positioning of the letters, I glued them down

(This sign works better (if you make it large) for two people to hold. I did hold it by myself over my head and it worked out fine.)

I inserted a wood dowel in each end. Keep the dowel inside the rod pockets and roll up like a poster.
    I did loose one of my dowels to help propr up the food tent stay up at the DC protest at the Linclon Memorial. Was glad to have helped :)

I ended up tossing the tube though, and folded down the sign and packed in it my nap sack.

Be sure when making the rod pocket to close the tops of the pockets so the rods won't slide through the top.

I also glued padding (felt) to the tops of the dowels so they would not rip through the top of the rod pockets. (dont make the padding so large it will not fit inthe rod pocket.

Good idea to double stitch to strengthen rod pocket seams.

Since it's fabric, it easily rolls down and fits into a cardboard mailing tube (like for a poster) which you can get at any Office Max or Staples.

It is REAL easy to travel with.
    Make sure the stick on letters you get are semi soft. Vinyl lettering will still roll up fine without getting screwy.

The wind can take this pretty good like any sign, so you may want to cut a few holes to let the wind pass through it.

It was just the best to roll and unroll and stuff in the tube and in a napsack while traveling and walking.

Cuts down on wasting paper (if you dont throw the tube out like I did)

And it if gets wet, the letters won't run or fade and the sign won't come apart.
    Be sure to cut the fabric smaller than the length of the tube! duh!

And be sure if using a bed sheet ....it is real sturdy fabric., or it may rip.
    Or any other sturdy fabric will do.

Just be sure the fabric not too thick to roll down and fit the tube.

you can use it again and again...

OR.... you can not put the dowels in and just hold it up by the corners. It will fold up nicely and you can stuff it in your napsack.
  25. zebrafaced Member

Lightbox signs sound pretty fucking epic. Ocala tends to raid later in the day, so one of these might come in handy.
  26. cubby Member

:3
  27. anonymous612 Member

Pfft, and have another sign of yours get stolen?

Actually, an Ocala lightbox sign I'd probably run off with.
  28. zebrafaced Member

We'd surround it in the frosting from Arnold's caek.
  29. anonymous612 Member

/was the only one willing to eat that caek

Your logic is faulty.
  30. Anonymous Member

Great idea ... just remember that one must use PAINT on paint, as the Sharpie Magnum (the marker of markers!) and any other marker will NOT work on paint.
  31. Anonymous Member

More traffic signs. This one from loldon:
    Photo0926.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  32. Anonymous Member

More after-dark signs, this time without needing batteries:
    London18th46.jpg
    London18th34.jpg
    London18th37.jpg
  33. Ogsonofgroo Member

Maybe not on enamel, but definately on latex/water-based paints (how do I now this? Parent XP )
    :)

Oh, ^^above^^ signage is frikken awesome! 'Day-Glow' poster paints?
  34. Re: How to: Sign?

I'll probably use a piece of foam core for my sign. It's lightweight and mostly waterproof. My mom is an artist and framer, so she has big sheets of it laying around. It's typically used for backings in framed drawings and photos. (Just turn over a picture hanging on the wall. The white plastic stuff is foam core.)
  35. MeganonOT8 Member

36. RightOn Member

When I read the title of this thread, I thought it was about sign language. Duh!

When I thought about it, how bad of an idea would it be to have someone who knows sign language, sign a video about the dangers of Scientology for youtube? Dumb idea?
    Just what exactly is COS's stance on deaf people? Are they also considered degraded beings?
  37. panzerknacker Member

38. Ninja_Llama Member

39. subgenius Member

My first light box sign dedicated to phx anons (don't yell at me its my first) securedownload.jpg
  40. dirto Member

useful for me, thanks