Customize

How to opt-out of the Social features of WWP

Discussion in 'Site News and Announcements' started by da5id, Feb 3, 2011.

1. da5id Administrator

Hi all,

Some users were unhappy with how WhyWeProtest uses external calls to javascript libraries on websites such as Twitter and Facebook. The general feeling (flawed as it may be) is that this could be used to track you down and match your browsing habits here against your real Facebook account.

Rather than trying to combat that reasoning any more than I already have, I chose to spend some time creating an addon for XenForo that will allow us to have custom preference options. So, if you are a part of the tinfoil crowd, then this should make you happy!

First, navigate to your Account Preferences:
    usercp.png

Then simply uncheck the box:
    enable_external.png

Once you save your preferences, you can go to the very bottom of any thread and you should not see an option to Recommend this page to your friends anymore. You should also not see any options to tweet this page on the front page of the forums. The main website frontpage has not been changed.
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Zak McKracken Member

^^^
    Totally unacceptable.
  3. Orson Member

If you keep fixing things, then what are people going to complain about? Nice work. It will be appreciated by those concerned.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Zak McKracken Member

^
    You, my pretties.
    And your little sled, too.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Anonymous Member

Above and beyond the call of duty, appreciated.
  6. Miranda Member

But I'm still upset about the look and feel. (Thanks, this will cut way down on the paranoid posts.)
  7. Herro Member

Well I'm sure that the WWP community will once again recognize that they are fortunate to have admins that give up their time to maintain a top notch site for essentially nothing in return. And I'm sure the community will bear this in mind and be civil the next time something happens that slightly irritates it...
  8. Miranda Member

^starry-eyed idealist with a halo
  9. Herro Member

/me goes back to listening to "Imagine" and nodding his head.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Miranda Member

11. Anonymous Member

Thanks! I've always been a little grumbly about all the integration of social websites with other websites. It's nice to have the choice. :)
  12. Anonymous Member

Thanks, Da5id!
  13. conatus Member

14. Anonymous Member

15. Zak McKracken Member

btw,
    where the fsck are my trophies?
  16. Miranda Member

They are in the garage awaiting rainbow stickers and stars. Please be patient.
  17. Zak McKracken Member

No.
  18. Miranda Member

Dammit.
  19. Zak McKracken Member

:|
  20. Miranda Member

21. none given Member

I get that, I do, Wof O/ Citizen K.

Thanks for the code OP.
  22. timthephoto Member

da5id thankyou

i just disabled all my tinfoil firefox plugins to look and...
    i saw no farcebook / twatter urls flashing about whilst loading this page

just out of interest are you sharing your hard work with xenforo ppl?
  23. da5id Administrator

my ultimate goal is to contribute to the opensource community as best i can with modifications i make here. however, sometimes it is not reasonable to repackage a custom modification for the rest of the world to make it generic enough for mass consumption. In those cases I tend to post information about what I did to achieve the result, rather than actually sharing an add-on per se.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. timthephoto Member

i like the new non-blue skin, but facebook gfx have re appeared and your helpful pictures in OP have vanished
    am i just bawwwwing ahead of time while you're already fixing (as usual) ?
  25. Orson Member