Customize

How to deal with police officers at a protest

Discussion in 'How To Instructions' started by Forseti, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Forseti Member

How to deal with police officers at a protest

I know this is a long read, but please take the time to read it. It may help you!

Mindset of a police officer
    First, you need to understand the mindset of a police officer. Police officers unfortunately have to deal with violence all the time. Police officers have to deal with the worse crime scenes imaginable. Assaults on police officers have always been somewhat common, but have risen sharply over the last 10 years. Because of this, police officers are trained and constantly hounded by the departments they work for to be safe, be aware, be diligent and always think of officer safety first. The job is extremely stressful and there is a ton of responsibility placed upon police officers. It is very common for police officers to become the subject of false complaints and frivolous lawsuits. There is a lot stacked against them. On top of that, the majority of a police officer’s job is surrounded by negativity because they have to deal with victims of violent crimes, battered children, death, arresting people, etc. It can really wear you down. According to a recent FBI study, the average life span of a police officer after retirement is around 5 years, give or take a little. Due to the constant high stress and poor nutrition while working hard in the field, high blood pressure, heart disease, and cancer is high in police officers. It should also be noted that the suicide rate among police officers is extremely high.

When an officer approaches you he will probably be looking for your hands to make sure you are not holding a weapon or anything else that can be used as a weapon. He may be looking at certain areas of your clothing for unusual bulges. In a cop’s mind, a bulge in clothing means this could potentially be a weapon. If a police officer feels uncomfortable or has reason to believe you may have a weapon, he/she may want to do a quick “pat down” search to make sure you do not have any weapons. They have a legal right to do so. Let them pat you down. This will help the officer feel safer. If they feel safe, it is easier for them to handle the situation. Plus, this will establish a bit of trust between protester and officer. Make sure that while dealing with the police, you remain calm and be polite. Try not to interrupt the officer while he/she is speaking. If the officer is done talking and starts walking away before you had a chance to speak, do not hesitate to politely tell him/her that you have something you would like to add. They should listen.

Not cooperating with the police officer is the quickest way to raise a red flag in the officer’s mind. When people do not cooperate, especially when the officer wants to conduct a cursory pat down search for weapons, it makes the officer feel as though you are hiding something (a weapon perhaps). All too often, lack of cooperation has been a precursor to police officers being shot or physically assaulted. Most officers believe, “If you have no weapons on you, then you shouldn’t mind being patted down.” Some people see this as a civil rights issue, but for the police officer, it is a matter of survival. Failing to cooperate with the officer can sometimes cause him/her to feel “fronted off” or disrespected in some way. It can make them feel like they are losing control of the situation. When a police officer feels that they are losing control of the situation, it also causes them to take a more defensive posture. If you back a police officer into a defensive popsture, you will be less likely to get what you want. In a nutshell, upsetting the officer will not help your cause and in fact, it may harm it.

Many people misunderstand police officer’s when the officer raises his voice or becomes a “hard-ass.” There are a handful of officers out there that are just jerks, but most are not. The “hard-ass” attitude is kind of a defense mechanism. Most officers can turn it on and off whenever they want. If they turn it on, it is usually for good reason. If an officer feels that people around him may be hostile or uncooperative, the “hard-ass” attitude might make folks think twice before getting physical with him and it can help the officer gain control of the situation. Sometimes it is all about “command presence.” Who would you take more seriously, an officer with a loud voice who is standing at the “ready”, or an officer with a little voice appearing to be timid? Do you get the picture now? Hopefully you now know not to take it personally if a police officer raises his voice with you.

Scenario
    You are at a protest and a member of the CoS bull baits you. You do the right thing and keep a cool demeanor. The CoS member continues his/her tirade and becomes more aggressive. Finally, the CoS member loses his/her cool and assaults you. Of course, the CoS member will try to turn it around to make you look like the aggressor. Someone calls the police and they arrive. The CoS member is quick to talk to the police first so he can try to get the upper hand. CoS members have done it time and time again.

Suggestions
    When you go to a protest, do not bring anything illegal with you and you won’t have anything to worry about. Remember, 90% of police officers want to do the right thing. Unfortunately, there are some police officers out there that are lazy. The lazy officers are the ones who conduct poor investigations. Those poor investigations sometimes hurt the good guys. The situation with AnonOrange at GOLD is a perfect example of that.

If something bad happens at a protest, you really need to take a moment to consider what happened. You are human and can make mistakes like anyone else. If you contributed to the problem, so be it. That may prevent you from getting your way and you will have to just deal with it. If you committed a crime, expect there to be consequences. Do not get angry with the officer because he has to do his job.

If the CoS member was the sole problem and he/she committed a crime, you might wish to place the CoS member under private persons arrest. Just remember that private persons arrests can sometimes be risky. You could possibly end up being the subject of a frivolous lawsuit. If you feel confident and you have the witnesses and/or evidence to back it up, then you do what you feel is right.

You might get an officer that would rather just smooth things over and go on his merry way. In some instances, that may be a better option. But if you really want something done, you need to let the officer in a polite and manner what you want. Keep in mind, that police officers, in California at least, are not obligated by law to accept a private persons arrest. Let the officer know that you have video evidence to back up your allegations. If you feel strongly about it and you are not getting what you want, do not hesitate to politely ask him to speak to his “field supervisor.” Do not get confrontational with the police officer. If you do, you have already “goofed the floof” as Ron the Con once said. Police officers are supposed to be unbiased and impartial, but it doesn’t always work out that way unfortunately. Generally, police officers who tend to be more emotional rather than analytical probably won’t be very impartial if there is a lot of drama.

If the officer seems a little miffed by your request to speak to a supervisor, just apologize and re-assure him/her that you do not wish to file a complaint, but that you just think this should be handled differently. Tell the officer it is nothing personal and you mean no disrespect. If you remain calm and polite, the officer should, in most cases, be calm and professional in return. In fact, asking for a field supervisor may change the officer’s attitude and you might end up getting your way. Just make sure you know what you are talking about and that you have the evidence to back up your allegations! Also, don’t forget to note the officer’s name and badge number. Do not be belligerent about it though.

If a field supervisor responds to the scene, it should be easy from there. You will just have to explain everything to the supervisor (usually a sergeant) and let him/her know you have evidence to support your allegation. The supervisor will direct the officer to handle it.

Never be afraid to go over their head if you believe you are not being taken seriously. If the field supervisor is not helping, ask to speak to the “watch commander.” You might be directed to go to the police station to do so. The watch commander’s aren’t normally in the field and readily available like the sergeant was. If you believe that an injustice is being done, file a “formal complaint” and make sure you let them know you want it to be “formally investigated.” If you have made it this far and nobody has helped you, what have you got to lose?

If the watch commander blows you off, it is time to go up the chain of command.

Keep in mind that police officers are human too. Their biggest goal for the day, every day, is to go home to their families in one piece. They sometimes make mistakes, however, there is no excuse for laziness. Don’t let an officer blow you off because he/she is lazy. You have rights whether the officer likes it or not.

I hope this helped some of you. I hope if you ever have to deal with a police officer, it is positive. I get pissed when a police officer is being a jerk just because he can. It makes them all look bad. Like anything else, it only takes one bad person of the group to make them all look bad, especially when cameras are rolling! However, nothing pisses me off more than a dirty cop. *cough* clearwater *cough*
  2. Re: How to deal with police officers at a protest

Law enforcement officers can not lawfully pat you down unless the meet the legal standard of reasonable suspicion that you are or will be involved in a crime, see Terry v. Ohio, a Supreme Court case that set the standard know as a Terry Stop.

If a law enforcement officer asks to pat you down or search you, state "I do not consent". If the officer insists allow him to do it but make sure you state you do not consent to the search.

If a law enforcement officer asks for your ID, in California, you do not have to show it to him if you are a pedestrian. You can cite the 4th amendment as a reason to not show him your ID. If he insists, again state that you do not consent before deciding whether to show him your ID. Some states in the US have laws that you must show ID in some situations. I do not know about other states laws regarding ID requests.

The best thing to say to a police officer, unless you are reporting a crime, is "Am I free to go". In other words, make sure that you do not consent to being held. A law enforcement officer can hold you for a brief period of time if he has a reasonable suspicion of a crime. He can detain you much longer, at the scene or in jail, if he can meet the standard of Probable Cause that you are involved in a crime.

A law enforcement officer job is to gather evidence for prosecution. You do not have to say anything to a law enforcement officer in response to questions or conversation and it is generally best not to unless you are reporting a crime. Law enforcement officers are skilled in getting you to talk.

Know your rights.

This is not legal advice and if you have questions you should talk to an attorney in your state.
  3. Forseti Member

Re: How to deal with police officers at a protest

If you have any experience and you are from CA, you might know what a 1538.5 motion is.

First of all, Terry vs Ohio is fairly open to interpretation depending on who the judge is. Don't confuse yourself between a "pat down" and a "search". Also, you are confused between a consensual contact and a detainment. Perhaps I should have worded my post a little differently. By "pat down", means to simply pat your hands on the outside of the person's clothing. In my example, it is to see if the officer feels anything that could be a weapon. Most of what you are talking about has to do with "consensual contact." During a consensual contact, the citizen has the right to refuse in the way you described. If the person is being detained regarding an investigation of any kind, you are not free to leave.

I have been challenged several times in 1538.5 motions for these exact same types of pat down searches I described where I DID find a gun. I have never lost. A police officer can justify pat down searches, especially when arriving at a call where allegations of crimes are being made. It depends on the officer's frame of mind, why he feels he is at risk, and how he articulates it. I guarantee that if I were on duty and I rolled into a protest situation and im dealing with someone I do not know who is wearing a mask and he/she has baggy clothing and unusual bulges in a pocket or waste band, I can easily articulate the need to pat down for weapons, for my safety. I have done it many times, got challenged on it, and I won. Which case law was cited in court by the prosecutor? "Terry vs Ohio", the very same case you just tried to throw in my face.

Also, if the police are called to a protest where allegations of violence or other crimes for that matter are reported, the police officer has every right to detain the involved parties and also to pat them down for weapons.

So, read my post again. I said nothing about consensual contacts. I was talking about when the police arrive at the scene and is dealing with the parties involved where allegations are made. If you are involved in it and you are being detained, you would be a fool for trying to leave. I have been forced to arrest people before for 148(a)(1) PC for that because they "thought" they knew their civil rights, when they were unfortunately confused and really didn't and they refused to be detained, tried to leave, and would pull away from me because they thought "i had no right to touch them."

Also, in the state of CA, you do have to show your ID when demanded by a peace officer. I have never enforced that. Besides, i'm not the type of cop that stops everyone on the street. Actually I don't know many that are. It's usually the young, inexperienced rookies that do that until they learn their lesson.

You can pick this bone all you want. I have been there and done that plenty of times. In the future, I would recommend not giving people advice or information that you are not absolutely certain about. Do not take everything you read on the internet for face value. Don't take this personally friend, I'm just saying......

Besides, I am here trying to help so folks don't get into trouble and also to make things easier for them by helping them gain some trust with the police officer who may be dealing with them.

This country is so unbelievably litigious. Everyone wants to try to be a lawyer. Obviously there is a need for lawyers and litigation, but too many people get very carried away.

BY THE WAY! Thanks for sharing your video of Dan Murnan and his minions. What an eye opener huh? They are victims man. If Dan had never gotten into CoS, he would surely be a different man.
  4. Forseti Member

By the way....your statement about : "A law enforcement officer job is to gather evidence for prosecution."

Don't take this personally. I do not know you and I am not angry, but I can't let this go unanswered. Perhaps I misunderstood you?

Our job is MUCH more than that. Our job is to apprehend criminals, save lives, protect property, and enforce laws. Do you truly believe that cops are nothing but "evidence gatherers?" Come on man. Who do you call when you need help? Who do you call when your life is in danger? Who do you call when someone has broken into your house, car, etc?

Like it or not, law enforcement is an absolute necessity, just like firemen, doctors, nurses, school teachers, sanitation workers, etc.

Ok im done ranting :p
  5. monamia Member

Nice work Forseti.
    Thanks very much.

Your service here (and there) is appreciated!
  6. T.W.C_Anon Member

That was some very useful information thank you for your time Forseti :D, it is always in our best interest to work closely with law enforcement at protests. We NEED them on our side. I know many anons strive to accomplish this, and it makes our life so much easier when we do.
    I hope people read this and don't just bawwww tl;dr.
  7. T.W.C_Anon Member

You should never be combative or try to argue with the police. IMHO it just makes things worse, especially when you haven't broken any laws.
  8. Forseti Member

It is my pleasure. I don't mean to imply that folks must be robots bow down to the police, but from my perspective, that is the best way I can recommend to protesters to keep things smooth with them. After all, they can either help you, ignore you, or work against you. I know which one I would want

It's late, i'm typing like crap. Im going to bed. See ya all soon.
  9. indeedindeed Member

nice info, thanks.
    also, [ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-063clxiB8I]this[/ame]:

10. xBLiTZxKRiEGx Member

Good post.
    You think after 9 months of protesting the cops would "get it" by now.
    Not to mention here we are across the street from city hall/police station.

The ones guarding the church, they're fine, they're getting $50/hr.
    But the ones on duty aren't so happy to be called out.
  11. Re: How to deal with police officers at a protest

Forseti, when I wrote, "A law enforcement officer's job is to gather evidence for prosecution" I was only speaking in terms of part of their duties. I know that law enforcement fights violent criminals everyday with heroism and valor.

I do not advocate to "pull away" from a law enforcement officer if he or she attempts to pat you down. I simply advocate stating "I do not consent to a search" if you feel the pat down search is unwarranted: nothing more.

I do not advocate not complying with a law enforcement officers demands. I do advocate stating that you do not consent with demands you believe to be unlawful before complying, or not, with their demand.

I do not advocate attempting to leave an encounter with a law officer who is talking with you about a possible crime. But I do advocate asking if you are being detained by asking "Am I free to go".

My beliefs are rooted in my understandings the 4th amendment of the constitution and case law. I do not think enough people understand their rights and I advocate they learn more.
  12. Anonymous Member

Thanks for the informatical post. This is making me change in way of thinking about and with cops. Now I can be more relax, when dealing with a cop in a good/bad talk. Also, a good step to learn the right argueing with cops.
  13. XtremeNL Member

Ghost_Busters_Who_You_Gonna_Call-T-link.jpg
  14. Erra Member

I take every chance I get to brag about how great our relationship with the cops is in Minnesota. When this all started way back when, the Co$ called the cops to tell them we were violent and dangerous and all the typical shit. So they had a police vehicle come and sit up on the sidewalk right by our protest. A couple officers would just sit and watch us and just kind of hang out to make sure nothing bad happened. We made sure to go up and talk to them to tell them our actual intentions and thank them for being there because we didnt want to get attacked by scilons either. They generally looked like they were having fun watching and listening to our antics.

Eventually we ended up making the PD a thank you card, which everyone "signed".

And for several months now, they don't sit on the curb anymore. The scilons still call them, of course. And every once in a while they drive by and wave at us lol. We always call in advance when we're going to do a protest or a flash raid, just to let them know. They appreciate that.

It really seems like the PD is on our side (in a totally unbiased way... lol).
  15. Rage Hard Member

This discussion even:

Be yourself - always and even wearing a mask. There are no given rules, retarded cunts.

inb4_16 pages BS
  16. Forseti Member

I guess I misunderstood your intentions. I apologize for ranting. I understand your point now and I respect what you had to say. Although your points could be used in one's every day life, I guess folks will have to evaluate if they feel it is in their best interest, based on the circumstances they are in. Again, my suggestions were aimed at protests and nothing more.

By the way, I saw your photos up on flickr. Nice job.
  17. monamia Member

This is a GREAT thread.
    Just sayin'

BUMP
  18. moarxenu Member

Forseti, it is great to have you hear as a lawl enforcement official among teh anon terrorists! I just read your story in the Introduce Yourself thread. It is really amazing. Thanks for being part of Anon.
  19. ComradeBalbi Member

In Manchester today we all got threatened with the IRL Banhammer, the Section 60 0f Criminal Justice 1994.

It's a 24 hour extension of powers of police in a certain area, designed originally for football hooliganism. They can stop, search and detain individuals - take their names, addresses and then tell them to GTFO as quick as possible.

Now, it's meant to be for 'A suspicion of violence to occur' to rain S.60 down, but we got it waved at us today for Hell Marching up and down the pavement. That's not right, but tbh they're the ones with the Tactical Support Unit and pepper spray innit.

Brings me to a point. The PCSO threatened us for marching, and we WERE blocking the highway for pedestrians. They had spoken to other anons on the raid about leaving the highway clear for people to walk while we protested.

Don't hack off PCSO's or P.C's. Exercise common sense - if you're on a busy street, be polite to passersby and give them all as much room as you can. Sure, in the quest for lulz, things can get a bit boisterous but all they need is a reason and the future raids can be in all sorts of trouble. A S.60 or any use of police powers, employed NOT THROUGH SciFag complaints but by anon action would screw a lot of things up.

Employing the 'I am not responsible, we are anonymous' tactic with U.K Coppers will get you more attention from the gentlemen with batons than anyone needs.
  20. Forseti Member

Thank you, although if the Anon movement was terrorism, I would have nothing to do with ya folks! I know you were just being sarcastic. I'm exercising my 1st amendment rights. I have never, ever been involved in protests or anti-anything before. I just could not stand this Co$ bullshit anymore. Co$ has always been and is now, more than ever, a very dangerous cult. Something has got to give! I cannot just stand by and do nothing.

I may not be able to make all the protests in my area, but I always carry my anti-Co$ postcards which I leave everywhere in public places.
  21. formerlyIN Member

Forseti:

Thank you for your post, heading off to a protest now.

I have dealt with a ton of cops in the past few months and I'd say 99% care and a few have gone so above and beyond, I even wrote their supervisor to get it in their records that they are one of the few that go the extra mile. I also have seen the small few who didn't want to do a report, dismissed my claims etc...them I learned to ask for a sup.

Your post was right on!

Everyone stay say!
  22. skoek Member

Forseti, thank you for the info!!
  23. desudesuchan Member

the cops in nashville are great. you just politely explain what the deal is with the masks, give em a flier and they usually just disappear into their normal routine. Heh... the one Vanderbilt cop last time i was out did joke that our masks could be considered probable cause because of who they represent. Who knew a college cop would know guy fawkes? lulzs.
  24. Daywatch Member

PROTIP: No SWORDS!
  25. mickturate Member

we had the sec 60 threat in plymuff: it was bogus...it was as ^ plodz were trying to get the job done with the least effort involved. since we FOI'd (thnx brownie bringer) that & proved it not to be so: Plodz behave better toward us. They ARE impartial...but they did have to respond to $cilon complaints.

we has liason meetings; they know us as the bunch of tossers -rather than haet crimers with criminal/violent tendencies that the $cilons tried to say- that we are & that we want to protest, dance, give out lollipops - its hard to make a haet crime accusation stick when Anons give out lollipops! & hand out flyers & inform the world about the $cilon real haet crimes....

we offered too: a presentation on $cientology & the $hit they really do....this was gently rejected 'we have an understanding of the organisation' IMHO: we helped form their understanding of this crime syndicate.

so, now we wave hello at 'em as they go by in their cars, occasionally the $cilons call them to say we are harassing them & plodz generally say: fuck off & stop harassing us (possibly not in those exact words) we got real crime to deal with.

we keep the pavement clear, we keep it tidy, watch for hazrds & have a great time.

& thass all we wanted innit?

if tl:dr & for those with ADHD: keep talking nice to plodz, explain, explain & explain again, it works.
  26. 8 bit fox Member

now i live in the state of washington. if i protest with my mask. am i required by law to take my mask off in public?
  27. Re: How to deal with police officers at a protest

Deleted double
  28. Anonymous Member

Just for posterity, in Nevada, you are required to have in your possession and produce on demand your ID to any Police personnel making a legal stop. In most cases it's easiest just to show your ID, they generally won't impede your protest, but if you feel that you have done nothing wrong, politely refuse. The officer will ask again, and you are now required by law to produce it. Inform him of your non-consent yet again, but let him have it. Because "reasonable suspicion" and " cause" is pretty reliant on the officer in question, he may feel that by the act of refusal that qualifies.
  29. crazypanda Member

what happens if they ask you to take your mask off? :confused:
  30. Stutroup Member

Stop bawwing and show the cop your face, to prove that it really is you on the ID.

I mean GEEZ! How many cities' protesters can't even WEAR masks, and this long into things, we've got people who REFUSE to go anywhere without one on hand just in case they run into Scientology stuff?!

Protecting your identity from a harassing cult is about a lot more than covering your face. In fact, going maskless has gotten us .. ZERO C&D letters when they were all the rage, ZERO neighborhood flierings since before 2008 (some against some local OGs before that), and the most they have done is photograph us and our license plates.

And just like in EVERY other city, masks or no, they call the police just about EVERY raid, guaranteed if it's a surprise to them, with false claims just to get a police car to show up and ask us questions.

I'm not saying everyone needs to go maskless. By all means, it's another layer of protecting your identity from a harassing litigious self-victimizing group. But the fear that the police are on someone's side is ridiculous. They won't go running to the cult saying "Oh oh oh! That guy over there? Yeah! He's Bob Smith! He lives on Third Street over in Othertown." Unless there is a crime committed, there will be no report. Once the officer is sure it's you on the ID, it's over.

How is that so difficult to understand?
  31. Anonymous Member

It's great that things have gone so well for you. By and large they do go well in most places, most of the time. There are always exceptions however. Anons have been dox'd by the cult simply for handing their information over to the local authorities, innocently believing that their privacy would be respected. Ocala, FL is only one such example. And in that case, the city and all but one authority figure were doing it right. All that it took was one that wasn't.

Nothing is ridiculous down in this rabbit hole. Each situation needs to be considered individually.
  32. AIN Member

use these rules as well
  33. TorontosRoot Member

If police request us to take off our masks, we do it. Better than being detained.

This happens allot when Co$ makes a false call. Most of the time, the cops just drive right past us if we're quiet and standing there handing out fliers.
  34. AIN Member

they do it because they are use to aggressive protestors and rioters, so when they see us handing out caek and hugs, they are happy they don't gotta go get the riot gear.
  35. Ogsonofgroo Member

This is worthy of a bump I think. For the most part Anons have remained well behaved, respectful of the authorities job, and quite able to police/conduct themselves in a civilized manner, and this has not gone un-noticed by the constabulary in many countries.

Keep up the great work everyone!

Cheers!

Ogs
  36. Anonymous Member

That's one thing toronto lacks. I think they need to step it up a notch and include caek & hugs :)
  37. AIN Member

38. Anonymous Member

I tend towards spraying them in the face with my homemade pepper spray, three parts red devil chillis to one part battery acid, gets 'em every time, especially the female cops.

Uh, nope.

Cops are mostly people to. They like to be addressed as "sir" or "maam" and it's never a good idea to protest without some basic dox, just wear them where they can't be pickpocketed.

One of the downsides of being masked is that a $cilon can easily pretend to be Anon, and infiltrate and steal. That's what they did when they stole the vulture minister jackets riding BMX bikes, amirite?

So you got to be ready for the twenty questions, and most cops know that anons are not the lawbreakers, the $cilons are, and in my experience most cops hate the creepy cult more than we do, they just got to play by the rules especially if there are video cameras around.

Which brings us to the most important issue here.

You got to videotape everything.

Even if there are no $cilons near, keep at least one camera rolling at all times.

You can re-use the tape, or delete the memory stick, later when you get home and kick back and think of the lulz you had.

But you got to keep taping. You never know when one of the cops might be a $cilon sympathizer, and the chances are if he is, his buddies will not be too happy about that, so it's urgent that at ALL protests the cameras are running to create super colossal 3D motion pict-charrs for everyone on YouTube to laugh at - and to provide evidence in a court of law.

If asked to stop filming - drop the camera down - but never hit the stop button, get that sound recorded.

And that should be your cue to get a second camera running from a distance.

Be respectful - but you got to know that the reason cops are so cool with us most of the time is because we carry video cameras. They know they're on tape.

Even if you got a busted old video camera - bring it along - use it as bait for the $cilons, if they break it, no big deal, but you can sue them for a replacement or report them for a criminal damage felony.
    Another reason for having a second camera, to film them breaking the first one.

Oh and one more thing - if you can't hold a camera without the need to zoom in and screw up the recording, or you like recording meaningless 20 second bursts of crappy footage, do everybody a favour and give your camera to someone who isn't suffering from a hyperactive disorder.

And speak only when it's needed. Too many good shots are screwed up by the guy or girl talking trash right next to the built in microphone, it drowns everything else out.

If you're holding the camera, just STFU, move slowly, and let the sound and the pictures happen, and if you need to add voice later you can edit that stuff in.

But most importantly when dealing with cops - offer them MOAR CAEK!