Customize

Historical Research On The War Between The States (contains graphic images)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Johnny_Reb_1865, Jul 26, 2014.

1. rickybobby Member

Thanks! This is really interesting bit of history. I have never seen that site before and will have to ramble around and see what else they have.
  2. Your welcome,

Let me know about what you find!

The Veteran also has adds for reunions too!!

And the veterans also shared their stories from the war.

1208.JPG

Here's a good book for you to read if your interested in it.
  3. JohnnyRUClear Member

The first book I read telling the South's side of the story was "America's Caesar" by Greg Loren Durand. In fact it was one of the first "historical revisionist" books I ever read about anything. It was available online in the 1990s; might still be. Very interesting.
  4. Here are some interesting photographs of the time.

confed-16.jpg

captured Confederate soldiers late 1864

Confederate Soldiers.jpg

Confederate soldiers late 1861?

33322r.jpg

A terrifying looking uknown Confederate soldier.

g+dead.jpg

Confederate dead July 1863 at Gettysburg.

34952r.jpg

Pvt of a Missisissipi regiment.
  5. Chipshotz Member

Thanks. Currently watching Ken Burns 'The Civil War' for the 3rd time.
  6. That wasn't a "Civil War" that would imply that the confederates wanted to overthrow the US government this was not so.
    They wanted to independently govern themselves.

Slavery wasn't a reason for the Confederate government's founding slavery was just a issue like gay marriage for example.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corwin_Amendment

http://www.scv.org/curriculum/

http://www.scv.org/research/JuliusHowell.php

While Ken Burns The Civil War is good but it doesn't cover everything.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. rickybobby Member

Here's an interesting article on the confederate flag I saw today:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/28/stars-and-bars-on-cars-in-texas.html

8. I read it, it was interesting.

But I don't understand why you are showing this to me.
    And it's the confederate battle flag not "the confederate flag" that makes me wonder what flag are you talking about.
    BTW I don't want to get into this argument over the flag ok?
  9. Ersatz Global Moderator

The War of Norther Aggression. Bet you have the confederate flag in the window of your pick up
    truck, the kind that lets people still see your gun rack.

I'm a southerner, born and bred. I cross my legs at the ankles, make sweet tea with every meal and wear pearls to Sunday brunch while I sip a mimosas. You don't get any more southern than me young man. There is value in studying the past. Reinventing it is of little value.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ann O'Nymous Member

Here we go again...
  11. Chipshotz Member

Johnny_Reb, you seem a bit obsessed.
    It's was over 149 years ago.
  12. Obssesed? perhaps but I'm just interested in the whole thing.
    It's a fire that I can't seem to put out..
    And correction: It was over 150 years ago.

It's just something i'm interested in we all have our hobbys and this is mine.

BTW if anyone has a ancestor that they know about but want to know more here's a good place to start looking.

http://history-sites.com/

Go to a state board that goes along with your state of birth and just ask a question.
  13. Here is the truth about the confederate battle flag.

flagreb.jpg

Take a moment to look at the different parts of the battle flag really look at it.
    The blue cross or "X" is a symbol that represents St. Andrew's cross the first apostle of Christ.

The stars represents the confederate states.

Please note that this flag is not "the confederate flag" the CSA had many more flags but this flag did NOT historicly represent the confederate government this was a military flag ONLY.

Also some people are mistaken when they call this flag the "stars and bars" but this flag is NOT the "stars and bars"
    See my above post.

For more reading see the links.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/backroom/1427629/posts

http://www.moc.org/collections-archives/flags-confederacy
    • Like Like x 1
  14. “It seems a little singular that in the tremendous struggle between the states in 1861-1865, the South should have been the first to take steps toward the enlistment of Negroes.

“Yet such is the fact. Two weeks after the fall of Fort Sumter, the Charleston Mercury records the passing through Augusta of several companies of the 3rd and 4th Georgia Regt. and of 16 well-drilled companies and one Negro company from Nashville, Tenn.

“The Memphis Avalanche and The Memphis Appeal of May 9, 10, and 11, 1861, give notice of the appointment by the “Committee of Safety” of a committee of three persons “to organize a volunteer company composed of our patriotic freemen of color of the City of Memphis, for the service of our common defense.”

A telegram from New Orleans, dated Nov. 23, 1861, notes the review by Gov. Moore of over 28,000 troops, and that one regiment comprised “1,400 colored men.”

(Christian A. Fleetwood, The Negro as a Soldier, Washington, D.C.: Howard University Print, 1895, pp. 5-6.) [Michael T. Griffith “Black Confederates, Political Correctness, and a Virginia Textbook”

Frederick Douglass, Douglass' Monthly, IV [Sept. 1861,] pp 516 - "there are at the present moment many colored men in the Confederate Army - as real soldiers, having muskets on their shoulders, and bullets in their pockets, ready to shoot down loyal troops, and do all that soldiers may do to destroy the Federal government...There were such soldiers at Manassas and they are probably there still." "Negroes in the Confederate Army," Journal of Negro History, Charles Wesle, Vol. 4, #3, [1919,] 244-245 -

www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DCR6u4PeaVJs&sa=U&ei=TFzXU-CaDJKPyASU44DgDA&ved=0CBgQtwIwAQ&usg=AFQjCNG2yDfvOI-8rX0_j

The above link does not work.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Here's another book for anyone interested.

secretsix.jpg
  16. 800px-Emancipation_Proclamation.PNG

Lincoln's Ep outlawed slavery in the areas in red while slavery in the blue areas continued until the passage of the 14th admindment in December 1865.

The state of Delaware refused to ratify the 14th admindment until 1901.

"..........The Emancipation Proclamation
    January 1, 1863
    A Transcription

By the President of the United States of America:

A Proclamation.

Whereas, on the twenty-second day of September, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-two, a proclamation was issued by the President of the United States, containing, among other things, the following, to wit:

"That on the first day of January, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three, all persons held as slaves within any State or designated part of a State, the people whereof shall then be in rebellion against the United States, shall be then, thenceforward, and forever free; and the Executive Government of the United States, including the military and naval authority thereof, will recognize and maintain the freedom of such persons, and will do no act or acts to repress such persons, or any of them, in any efforts they may make for their actual freedom.

"That the Executive will, on the first day of January aforesaid, by proclamation, designate the States and parts of States, if any, in which the people thereof, respectively, shall then be in rebellion against the United States; and the fact that any State, or the people thereof, shall on that day be, in good faith, represented in the Congress of the United States by members chosen thereto at elections wherein a majority of the qualified voters of such State shall have participated, shall, in the absence of strong countervailing testimony, be deemed conclusive evidence that such State, and the people thereof, are not then in rebellion against the United States."
    Now, therefore I, Abraham Lincoln, President of the United States, by virtue of the power in me vested as Commander-in-Chief, of the Army and Navy of the United States in time of actual armed rebellion against the authority and government of the United States, and as a fit and necessary war measure for suppressing said rebellion, do, on this first day of January, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three, and in accordance with my purpose so to do publicly proclaimed for the full period of one hundred days, from the day first above mentioned, order and designate as the States and parts of States wherein the people thereof respectively, are this day in rebellion against the United States, the following, to wit:

Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana, (except the Parishes of St. Bernard, Plaquemines, Jefferson, St. John, St. Charles, St. James Ascension, Assumption, Terrebonne, Lafourche, St. Mary, St. Martin, and Orleans, including the City of New Orleans) Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Virginia, (except the forty-eight counties designated as West Virginia, and also the counties of Berkley, Accomac, Northampton, Elizabeth City, York, Princess Ann, and Norfolk, including the cities of Norfolk and Portsmouth[)], and which excepted parts, are for the present, left precisely as if this proclamation were not issued.

And by virtue of the power, and for the purpose aforesaid, I do order and declare that all persons held as slaves within said designated States, and parts of States, are, and henceforward shall be free; and that the Executive government of the United States, including the military and naval authorities thereof, will recognize and maintain the freedom of said persons.

And I hereby enjoin upon the people so declared to be free to abstain from all violence, unless in necessary self-defence; and I recommend to them that, in all cases when allowed, they labor faithfully for reasonable wages.

And I further declare and make known, that such persons of suitable condition, will be received into the armed service of the United States to garrison forts, positions, stations, and other places, and to man vessels of all sorts in said service.

And upon this act, sincerely believed to be an act of justice, warranted by the Constitution, upon military necessity, I invoke the considerate judgment of mankind, and the gracious favor of Almighty God.

In witness whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the seal of the United States to be affixed.

Done at the City of Washington, this first day of January, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty three, and of the Independence of the United States of America the eighty-seventh.

By the President: ABRAHAM LINCOLN..........."

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/featured_documents/emancipation_proclamation/
  17. “It appears we have appointed our worst generals to command forces, and our most gifted and brilliant to edit newspapers! In fact, I discovered by reading newspapers that these editor/geniuses plainly saw all my strategic defects from the start, yet failed to inform me until it was too late. Accordingly, I’m readily willing to yield my command to these obviously superior intellects, and I’ll, in turn, do my best for the Cause by writing editorials – after the fact.”

Robert E Lee 1863

“I was raised by one of the greatest men in the world. There was never one born of a woman greater than Gen. Robert E. Lee, according to my judgment. All of his servants were set free ten years before the war, but all remained on the plantation until after the surrender.”
    William Mack Lee (Robert E. Lee’s black servant)

“It was necessary to put the South at a moral disadvantage by transforming the contest from a war waged against states fighting for their indepdence into a war waged against states fighting for the maintenance and extension of slavery…and the world, it might be hoped, would see it as a moral war, not a political; and the sympathy of nations would begin to run for the North, not for the South.”

Woodrow Wilson, “A History of The American People”, page 231

“…We must forevermore do honor to our heroic dead. We must forevermore cherish the sacred memories of those four terrible but glorious years of unequal strife. We must forevermore consecrate in our hearts our old battle flag of the Southern Cross – not now as a political symbol, but as the consecrated emblem of an heroic epoch. The people that forgets its heroic dead is already dying at the heart, and we believe we shall be truer and better citizens of the United States if we are true to our past.”

Confederate Veteran Rev. Randolph Harrison McKim

“To tar the sacrifices of the Confederate soldier as simple acts of racism, and reduce the battle flag under which he fought to nothing more than the symbol of a racist heritage, is one of the great blasphemies of our modern age”.

James Webb-Secretary of Navy And Assistant Secretary of Defense under U.S. President Ronald Regan and current U.S. Senator (D.VA.) (Born Fighting: How the Scots-Irish Shaped America, New York: Broadway Books, 2004, p. 225)

“The Southern Confederacy will not employ our ships or buy our goods. What is our shipping without it? Literally nothing… it is very clear that the South gains by this process and we lose. No…we must not let the South go”.
    Union Democrat Manchester, New Hampshire. 19 February, 1861

“Everyone should do all in his power to collect and disseminate the truth, in the hope that it may find a place in history and descend to posterity. History is not the relation of campaigns and battles and generals or other individuals, but that which shows the principles for which the South contended and which justified her struggle for those principles.”

Robert E Lee

“The Union government liberates the enemy’s slaves as it would the enemy’s cattle, simply to weaken them in the conflict. The principle is not that a human being cannot justly own another, but that he cannot own him unless he is loyal to the United States.”
    London Spectator in reference to the Emancipation Proclamation

“The Northern onslaught upon slavery was no more than a piece of specious humbug designed to conceal its desire for economic control of the Southern states.”

Charles Dickens, 1862

“It is stated in books and papers that Southern children read and study that all the blood shedding and destruction of property of that conflict was because the South rebelled without cause against the best government the world ever saw; that although Southern soldiers were heroes in the field, skillfully massed and led, they and their leaders were rebels and traitors who fought to overthrow the Union, and to preserve human slavery, and that their defeat was necessary for free government and the welfare of the human family. As a Confederate soldier and as a citizen of Virginia, I deny the charge, and denounce it as a calumny. We were not rebels; we did not fight to perpetuate human slavery, but for our rights and privileges under a government established over us by our fathers and in defense of our homes.”

Colonel Richard Henry Lee, C.S.A.

“Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave.”

Thomas Jonathan “Stonewall” Jackson

“Sirs, you have no reason to be ashamed of your Confederate dead; see to it they have no reason to be ashamed of you.”
    Robert Lewis Dabney, Chaplain for Stonewall Jackson

“As for the South, it is enough to say that perhaps eighty per cent. of her armies were neither slave-holders, nor had the remotest interest in the institution. No other proof, however, is needed than the undeniable fact that at any period of the war from its beginning to near its close the South could have saved slavery by simply laying down its arms and returning to the Union.”
    Major General John B. Gordon, from his book, Causes of the Civil War.

“Any society which suppresses the heritage of its conquered minorities, prevents their history or denies them their symbols, has sown the seeds of their own destruction.”

Sir William Wallace, 1281
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JohnnyRUClear Member

Holy temporal loops, Batman! What do we do now?!
  19. Random guy Member

I'm a bit curious:

I know slavery was a part of Souther culture, but it seems we all agree slavery isn't worth conserving.

I know the Civil War was part of Souther culture, but it seems we all agree war isn't worth preserving.

Johnny Reb says he is very keen on preserving Souther culture. I'm sure that's all nice and dandy, but so far all I've seen of the "culture" he presents is Confederate war flags. Surely there has to be something else to this culture? Music? Food? Architecture? Art? Or will the "Southern culture" die the moment no-one care to fly the X-flag?
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Random, I don't want to get into that bit ok?

I put this on here to educate not to argue.
  21. Random guy Member

You do as you feel like mate. Your are under no obligation to answer me. I was just curious.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. About what exactly?
  23. PresidentShaw Member

Considering how heavily teh south depended on teh cotton industry I think slavery was very much linked with their goals ;)
  24. The Internet Member

Thanks for that. Here is another Christian symbol representing the cross upon which Jesus was crucified and His gift of eternity to each of us through His resurrection. We likewise can be resurrected from a state of materialism to an awareness of Spirit as manifested through Life’s eight dynamics, represented as merging at the center of the cross below. The unity of all dynamics is, in fact, God.

scientology-cross.gif
  25. moxie Member

And God is you.
  26. Your welcome,

You know about those birthday cards people send to each other with all those "X"es?

That's Saint Andrew's Cross too.

Back in the day when some folks couldn't read and write if you had some sort of deal with them or they had to sign a land deed you would just sign with a "X".