Customize

"Have you even read Dianetics?"

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by candlejack, May 13, 2008.

1. candlejack Member

"Have you even read Dianetics?"

I bet a lot of you guys have been asked this question by bullbaiting scilons.

So I propose that next protest, everyone bring a copy of Dianetics (extra if you have them for those who don't). And then for a scheduled amount of time, everyone sits down and has a "quiet reading time" where Anon reads some Dianetics to counter that question.
    It also messes with the scilons since we're reading their book.

BTW if this idea has already been thought up of, please close it.
  2. Skeptic1337 Member

Re: "Have you even read Dianetics?"

Have you ever tried to read dyanetics....it's god aweful.

LRH wasn't just a con man. He was a shitty writer.

But I like the idea. So any one who's into it should most definitely an effective counter.
  3. CrazyDelaney Member

Yes... Dianatics is a truly awful piece of work and I think the more the general public is educated about the ludicrous claims of Dianetics the better. Honestly, I've shied away a bit from it since we always say we're fighting the policies not the "religion" but man.. one of the best arguments against Scientology is the pseudoscientific, almost magical claims of Dianetics and how the stuff does not work... at all and anyone who says it works for them is kidding themselves.
  4. XenuLovesU Member

Fek.

I'm not opposed to tl;dr stuff... if anything, I'm really good at plowing through bullshit and taking the time to objectively read it.

Dianetics though? It's the most obtuse, unscientific diaper-load of shit I've read to date. I can only stomach a dozen pages at a time. The writing is terrible. The "science" is horrific.

The only fucking reason I made it through the book was that it pissed me off so much that I was determined to be able to debunk anything quoted from it.

If you're going to be a credible critic of Scientology and Dianetics... the bad news is that you really do need to read this shit to be able to poke holes in it (at least if you're going to go head-to-head with a Scilon).

That's the #1 reason they've had a field day steam-rollering over critics. The up-front investment of time required to debunk their "philosophy", corporate structure, front groups, whatever... is MASSIVE. It takes months, if not years of reading and research to wrap your head around the entire scam.

Good luck finding journalists, legislators or anyone else willing to invest the time required to get the big picture.

That's where we come in though: we should always strive to break down this information into small enough digestible bits that anyone else can begin to catch on. We can be the research brain for anyone willing to investigate scientology who might not be able to go in-depth on their own.

Scientology goes to great lengths to ensure nobody grasps the, "big picture." Let's fuck that up for them.
  5. Hidrogen Member

Question. "Have you even read Dianetics?"

Answer: "No, but do I need to read Hitlers "Mein Kampf" to know that the Nazis were evil?"

Besides the snappy answer I agree with XenuLovesU.
  6. unidentified Member

The question thus becomes do they know enough about the internet to invoke Godwins Law?
  7. Re: "Have you even read Dianetics?"

"Yeah, I think the author misunderstood some words..."
  8. Re: "Have you even read Dianetics?"

I disagree about buying Dianetics. We don't want to give those idiots any of our money.
    However, second hand is good.
    Somebody had a copy of Dianetics (the title tip-exed to read 'Do Not Want') at the last London protest and we had a flick through it. Not only was LRon a piss-poor writer, but some of the things in there... Did you know to make someone gay, according to LRon, you need to run them over with a steamroller, cut them in half with a rusty knife and boil them in lysol?
  9. narCONon Member

i got it out from a library. red it. ITS BLOODY GODAWFUL!

but at least i shut up a bullbaiter with what i knew bout it!

lol
  10. D... Member

If I was protesting Dianetics, I would be protesting FreeZone.

I am not, I don't give two shits what they believe, it's about how they practice it.
  11. Robert S Member

You don't have to read Dianetics. All you have to do is cite the UCLA study from 1950 done IN CONJUNCTION with the "Dianetics Research Foundation" that proved there is no such a thing as an "engram" in any way Hubbard describes it.
    Operation Clambake present: The Hubbard Is Bare

(Document scans here...)
    http://lermanet.com/creed-pearson/dianetics.htm

There has never been a peer review done since. None of Hubbard's statistics or notes for his experiments have ever been published.

Plus... relative to if you're "Clear" you don't have colds, headaches, etc... in the words of the immortal Jason Fuckin Beghe; "show me a motherfuckin Clear."
  12. ormuzd Member

"What is Scientology?" is also an effective book to quote at the protests. It's a bit big (about 1000 pages) but almost every page some nonsense that could be read at a protest. Plus it's hard for them to deny things like Disconnection, or that the church doesn't like to offer refunds because it's right in the book they published.
  13. Agent POSI Member

Then again, who wants to be the one to shell out the cash for several copies of crap crap crap. My minimum wage isn't going to be spent on anything written by L. Ron Hubbard- especially if the money goes to the Scilons anyway?! They will just be like 'LULZ YOU HAVE THE INFO BUT WE HAVE YOUR MONIES MUAHAHA'.
  14. SASAnon Member

I'm just posting this blind. But It would be great is someone takes the time to critically analyze Dianetics and prove how the the Scientology Technology is nothing but pseudoscience. There many medical peer reviewed journals out there that support our Modern Medicine by educated doctors.
  15. Re: "Have you even read Dianetics?"

I bought a copy from a used bookstore for a dime once for lulz. Proceeds went to NPR. Now I am going to have to dig around in my basement and see if I can find it.
  16. Randomness Member

Well I did read part of it and I th
  17. Robert S Member

Hello? Is my mic on??
  18. Re: "Have you even read Dianetics?"

Likewise. That book is god awf
  19. Skeptic1337 Member

Heh, you actually think people read what other people post.

Oh so naive. :fuckyou:
  20. Spork Member

Here's how I'd answer:

"Yes, and you know what else I read? I read "Keeping Scientology Working" -- that's right, the essay which appears on every Scientology course and which each Scientologist is absolutely required to believe and actively uphold. It's disgusting the way KSW disparages democracy. And it's offensive and plain wrong the way it says that the entire future of every person on Earth depends on what Scientologists do right now in Scientology. You people think MY future, and everyone else's, is up to YOU? You arrogant puppy!" Etc etc etc.

Seriously, google "Keeping Scientology Working" and chuck that right back at them.
  21. Skeptic1337 Member

Fixed it for you.

When responding to candlejack your posts should look like th
  22. Spork Member

Thanks. Much impr
  23. Re: "Have you even read Dianetics?"

^TTTTTHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSS^
  24. anonprkour Member

ok so ive been to borders and barnes and noble and couldnt find that book

i went in self help alternative medicine and religion
  25. Anonymous Member

Out of all the bookstores in my city, I've only seen a single copy of Dianetics. I found it easier to order it used off of Amazon. It was still in new condition but only cost about 5 dollars.
  26. Re: "Have you even read Dianetics?"

i was given a copy years ago by a scieno workmate.
    could not get through the whole book, it was just page after page of drivel.

the only time ive seen more crap on paper was the last time i used the toilet

i never did figure out why they worship a volcano
  27. BostonSP Member

I would think a proper rebuttal to such a question would be to refer them to the work done by Harvey Jay Fischer which completely refutes & debunks all of the pseudo-science found in Dianetics, or "Dianetic Therapy" as they like to call it. Here's an excellent leaflet: http://www.whyaretheydead.net/mirror/xenu.ca/pickets/flyers/noscience.pdf

The results of his research were that:

Now if that doesn't shut 'em up, what will? :guyfawkes:
  28. Veszerin Member

oh yes....LETS GIVE THEM MORE MONEY SO THAT THEY CAN CONTINUE TO FAIR GAME US.
  29. anonymal Member

a certain torrent site has the audiobook
  30. lori Member

Oh no. You want to buy this stupid and boring book and pay for it and help the Co$ to earn money? Why should you?
    I always wanted to read it but didn't want to spend money for it and a few years ago I met someone who had one (birthday-gift) and didn't want it. So I took it and read a few pages, but it's so boring that I didn't read much. LRH was really a bad writer and the book is really crazy. There other ways to argument with them. Waste your time if you want, but don't waste your money on it.
  31. Robert S Member

You don't have to read Dianetics. All you have to do is cite the UCLA study from 1950 done IN CONJUNCTION with the "Dianetics Research Foundation" that proved there is no such a thing as an "engram" in any way Hubbard describes it.
    Operation Clambake present: The Hubbard Is Bare

(Document scans here...)
    http://lermanet.com/creed-pearson/dianetics.htm

There has never been a peer review done since. None of Hubbard's statistics or notes for his experiments have ever been published.

Plus... relative to if you're "Clear" you don't have colds, headaches, etc... in the words of the immortal Jason Fuckin Beghe; "show me a motherfuckin Clear."

:roll:
  32. Re: "Have you even read Dianetics?"

Yes I have read Dianetics the Reactive Mind lol but I figure for those of you here that have not had a chance to do so I suggest you watch the dianetics video that is posted this way you will see what people are talking about without wanting to go to sleep since it is now being posted on you tube watch it before its too late cause soon it will be a flag order to remove it................................
  33. Davey's Cat Member

I agree with OP that having even skimmed a copy is a great counter to the "You've not even read our book" schtick. Having a copy to hand, bookmarked can be a very useful tool - this worked very well in a recent protest. There are some cracking quotes in this book to show the public what a lunatic LRH actually was and what sort of mindset we're dealing with.

(It's got to be noted that "You've not even read our book" is merely replaced with "You've not understood our book", but meh.)

Agree that no-one should buy their copy from the cult, but their are charity shops etc where dog-eared, discarded books can be had. I got mine from a cancer charity for 50p - a bit steep given the quality of the literature.

Just my 2 cents.

Incidentally, did you notice that I called him OP to avoid saying Candlejack? Pretty clev