Customize

Grooming & Scientology

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by timthephoto, May 4, 2012.

1. timthephoto Member

after quite a time away, i visit my friend known amongst his peers as "the lunartic", who asks why i spend so much time & mental energy on Scn - so i spend 5 minutes to outline it, i nearly finish about the stress/personality tests in the street and he's already 'got it'

i'd never thought about the word "Groomed" outside the narrow confines within which it is usually used, however it seems like an insanely accurate way to communicate what happens when Scientologists approach:-

"watch out - they'll groom you for their cult"
    "Don't get Groomed by Scientology"
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Anonymous Member

groom. recruit. both good words to describe what scientologists (for example the Jive Aces) do
  3. timthephoto Member

"recruitment" is an OK word, accurate but subject to confusion with the way companies advertise for staff
    "Grooming" is much harder to get confused with, outside of pets/horses this word only has a negative vibe
  4. Groomed seems to fit the bill good call!
  5. Anonymous Member

Easier to say than "indoctrinate"
  6. Damn. Thought the thread was about personal hygeine.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Strixcoil Moderator

I thought it was about the care and preening of the flight feathers. Ah, fooled!
  8. Anonymous Member

Well, the Sea Org does have rules about grooming and personal hygiene...
  9. Anonymous Member

I believe their flight feathers are clipped.

also

[IMG]

[IMG]
  10. Strixcoil Moderator

^ ...Yeep!
    758.f2g.jpg

NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE...
    /derail
  11. Anonymous Member

Also, I believe "grooming" carries different connotations in English than it does in American.
    Any bi-lingual speakers who can flesh that out?
  12. Me too!
    XD
  13. Anonymous Member

Wrong.
    Both definitions used ITT are mutually accepted in British English as well as American English, depending on the context.
    lrn2OED
  14. Anonymous Member

The definition does work in U.S. english but in so much as the statement "being groomed for their stupid cult" would make sense to most anyone, a statement such as "Don't get groomed by scientology" could often be met with the aforementioned confusion regarding dogs and horses.

lrn2Funk&Wagnalls
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Anonymous Member

Yeah those damn Quadrupedophiles are dangerous!
  16. RolandRB Member

I thought this thread was about using the comb they got (along with the cat) when they got married.
  17. Well - as many rules as you can with 50 people crammed into their berthing. Bound to get a little funky.
  18. Anonymous Member

19. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  20. Anonymous Member

Explaining that Scientology is an extremist group that radicalises people works - people are beginning to understand what these groups do to individuals.

Scientology has been (is still) getting away with it and has some respectability because as a group it is traditionally white, in suits and english speaking.