Customize

Gregg Summoned, Needs Legal Help

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by tiggernew, Mar 27, 2008.

1. avatar2008 Member

Re: Gregg Summoned, Needs Legal Help

You guise might want to update the wikipedia.org page on L&W :examine:
    Definately needs a mention. :wbmorly:
  2. Daywatch Member

THIS
  3. gregg Member

A lot of people want updates, so here is the current update.

I have talked to three lawyers so far. The first one didnt feel up to the task, said that a lot of the things that might come into this fall outside of her knowledge. The second one quoted me about $4000 which is a bit expensive dont ya think? The third one said he wanted to be very honest with me and that he did not want to get into a fight with the COS right now because of a lot of other things going on in his life.

I have left messages for 2 other lawyers. Both of which actually come recommended from people on here. I will be trying them back shortly.

[mod edit: removing for your own sake on request/advisement from knowledgeable others, you can put it back if your REALLY sure but I'd consult them about their reasoning first, & the mods]

I appreciate all of that help so much. I am hoping to find a lawyer that will take this and will do it for close to that or not TOO much more. I know a couple other people said they would donate early this week since its payday today. So I am going to hope that I can find one from $????????. I dont know what to make of that one quote for $4000. I have 5 more numbers to call and also need to call the 2 I left messages for. So I will update everyone as soon as I have more news.

Thanks to everyone who has helped, be it advice, a number to a lawyer who might help, or money. I cant thank you all enough.
  4. anonypuffs Member

make sure you withdraw all the money from paypal asap, paypal has been known to lock accounts without warning/explanation.
  5. anonymustang Member

so uhhh, did you screenshot as per jack's directions?

AND EDIT OUT THAT F'ING AMOUNT. EDIT. TAKE IT OUT. DELETE. REASONS YOU SHOULD BELIEVE ME ABOUT.
  6. gregg Member

Sure thing. Many people just wanted to know if i was close to having enough to cover a lawyer yet. I didnt think it was bad to post. I see now. Its removed.
  7. FALLEN. Member

THIS!
  8. Kilia Member

Was Graham Berry one of the lawyers you contacted, Gregg?
  9. Skeptic1337 Member

Graham gave him some leads on boston lawyers as Graham practices law in LA and not boston.

He posted it somewhere, one of them was a lead to a lawfirm that is representing a company he know who did not want to be involved with CoS lawyers.
  10. gregg Member

He is wiling to help, we actually talk all the time. But I would have to pay for his travel and lodging here. I would also have to find a local council to sit in for him since he isnt licensed in MA.
  11. FALLEN. Member

Well, you almost have enough for a plane ticket. How long would he have to stay, do you think? It might be better to go with Graham, since he's so experienced in dealing with the cult.

PS: I am heading out now to send you a $50 money order to the name & address you gave me via PM the other day.
  12. Kilia Member

Thank you for your reply, Gregg. Much appreciated and glad that you are able to chat with Graham on the phone. He sounds like a real nice person.
  13. xenutruth Member

14. anonymustang Member

As a purely clerical point, you may or may not have mentioned an issue covered by Pro Hac Vice.

I point this out purely for educational purposes and in no way am suggesting any sort of relevancy or even possibly application.

Always consult an attorney before reaching any legal decisions or taking any action.
  15. Skeptic1337 Member

Sorry but since I only play a lawyer on the interbutts your suggestion is summarily dismissed as not worth the bits of storage it takes up.

Irrelevant post is irrelevant.
  16. gregg Member

He emails me telling me we should do all sorts of fun things at the protests. He also wants us to protest the religion instead of the church. Which I of course would never do. We are against the evil corporation, not the beliefs of scientologists.
  17. xenutruth Member

Stop saying I'm attacking their religion. It's a fucking cult. They make you pay 100,000 dollars before they tell you about Xenu. That's not a religion. What their religion gives them the right to fucking lie? To people that walk into the door?

Kids born into Scientology have to listen to L Ron Hubbard at the age of five years old. If they hear these audio clips they will know it is L Ron Hubbard.

These audio files are here to help wake people up. And expose the cult of who they really are.

I could give two shits if someone wants to believe in fucking Xenu. But they have no FUCKING RIGHT TO LIE TO THE PUBLIC and be able to call them selfs a FUCKING CHURCH.

Scientology core is one thing to MAKE MORE MONEY!!!

I just like to add I only ever said play the L Ron Hubbard audio files. I never said "we should do all sorts of fun things at the protests. "

I save all my out going emails and I think you do as well. If I ever said that then please post screen shoots.

I have only said one thing play the L Ron Hubbard audio files to wake people up.
  18. its.an0nym0us Member

Don't derail this otherwise AWESOME THREAD with your crying and nagging.
  19. Skeptic1337 Member

This.
  20. AnonSoul Member

Keep your head up Gregg!

A little more paypal help on the way.
  21. austindude Member

And a bit more dough for you, bro.
  22. Plups Member

Gregg, my view is that, if by the end of the week you don't have a better offer and the donations add up to $4000, go for it.
  23. Rorschach Member

Oh the humanity! And there I was -with my cold, dark, gun toting heart- about to invite dr055 into my home for warm tea and warm scones. /me shrugs. Whateves...door's open bro. I have a seat reserved for you: Dante's 8th circle of hell, Bolgia 8.

<3 Ror
  24. anonymous1244 Member

If it's totally odds with the going rate, I'd be inclined to skip it. It's just as likely that they might not be keen to involve themselves in a Co$ related case, but rather than lose face, decided to quote a crazy price.

If that does seem likely, I'd be wary of paying through the nose for what could turn out to be a reluctant attorney. Doubly bad.
  25. Plups Member

It doesn't sound crazy to me if it's to represent Gregg through to the determination of the application. But we'd better hear from some US legal Anons
  26. gregg Member

It looks like I have a lawyer. I will be meeting with him thursday afternoon for lunch. He seems like a great guy and comes recommended. He also says it will probably only cost me about $1200 to get through this first round.

Ill update everyone more when we talk on thursday. But it looks like I am covered now. Now lets see if the donations make it up to that. I am actually hoping they go over so I can send some to the other anons who need it out in LA.
  27. donttaxmebro Member

Be prepared, the CoS uses a strategy that some people use against collection companies. What I mean is, if you slam them with a shit ton of paperwork, their fees will go through the roof, and they will just fold. I wouldn't doubt for a minute the CoS will flood you with meaningless discovery demands.

It's been said there's video showing you didn't enter and left when they requested. Your lawyer should file for an immediate dismissal of the case with said video as evidence, claiming the CoS has only filed to intimidate his client with no real cause of action.

EDIT: Even if you did enter, if there is video showing you left without causing trouble, that should be enough to show you had no evil intentions. You've never been told you couldn't enter, so why would entering get you in trouble? You could relate it to walking into an office building with no "private property" or the like signs, being told you need to leave, leaving, then being prosecuted for trespassing.

*I'm not a lawyer and this isn't legal advice*
  28. Re: Gregg Summoned, Needs Legal Help

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice.

Make sure your lawyer provides you a written legal fee agreement, which you have to sign.

Here are some articles for more information:

http://www.consumerlawpage.com/article/legalfee.shtml

http://www.allbusiness.com/legal/law-firms-attorneys/3982-1.html

http://www.lawinfo.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/Client.lawtips

29. Skeptic1337 Member

Awesome news dude. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.
  30. Skeptic1337 Member

This isn't a civil trial.
  31. gregg Member

Thread was removed, nevermind.
  32. a-non-lawyer Member

Expensive, yes. Not unusual or unreasonable though. Legal services are, unfortunately, very expensive. If that lawyer is billing $100 per hour, and that would be mighty low, that's still only 40 hours worth of work.

If you're talking with Mr. Berry, you might inquire, as Anonymustang mentioned, into pro hac vice. In some cases, lawyers can get a temporary waiver to represent someone in another jurisdiction without the presence of local attorneys. If that were the case, and if Mr. Berry were willing to work with you, that may be a feasible option. You'd need to ask him though, and he'd need to do some research.
  33. lermanet_com Member

"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse.
    Allowing dissenters to shield their identities frees them to express
    critical, minority views ...
    Anonymity is a shield from the tyranny of the majority....
    It thus exemplifies the purpose behind the Bill of Rights, and of the
    First Amendment in particular: to protect unpopular individuals from
    retaliation ... at the hand of an intolerant society."
    -- 1995 Supreme Court ruling McIntyre v. Ohio Elections Commission
  34. lermanet_com Member

And there is nothing "civil" about the way scientology uses 'color of law' to harass..

29 November 1995 - Memorandum Opinion

Full Text
    - Judge Leonie Brinkema

"the Court is now convinced that the primary motivation of RTC in suing Lerma, DGS and The Post is to stifle criticism of Scientology in general and to harass its critics. "
  35. D... Member

forkshy1vy2.png
  36. an om onus Member

Gregg, if you need more monies I will be more than willing to help.

I am also making this offer for other anons in trouble-- we are legion.

But first-- some people have talked about paypal shell accounts or using a safer service: PLZ TO BE HAVING INFO ON THIS?
  37. Plups Member

I made enquiries about this and I do not believe that "shell" paypal accounts can be had without also having a bank account in a false name, which raises HUGE legal issues and should not be attempted.
  38. ryebread Member

Paypal sucks, and is probably not the way to go. Money orders are probably your best bet of moving cash around safely without giving up your identity - but of course you need to know who and where to send it to.

If you go to a UPS store, Mailboxes Etc., or somewhere similar you can get an address for pretty cheap without much trouble. A P.O. box works as well, but as far as I know you have to give up a bit more information to get one. You can give out that address without worrying about exposing where you live.

I have no clue what Gregg's current situation is - unfortunately I have absolutely no money to spare right now :( But it may be useful for him or anyone else who runs into problems like this in the future.
  39. ravenanon Member

40. FALLEN. Member

Just PM Gregg. He'll give you a name and address of someone who is taking care of the collections for him.

Take cash to any post office, or most big grocery stores, and purchase a money order. They cost a few dollars and are safe, legal tender anywhere. Not traceable back to you. You can fill in any name for sender.