Customize

Green Brief #88 Jan 19

Discussion in 'Green Brief' started by codeman177, Jan 20, 2010.

1. codeman177 Moderator

Green Brief #88

By Codeman177 – http:/twitter.com/codeman177

Since Niteowl has started posting on his own blog, I have asked if I could begin publishing the Green Brief so that everyone on wwp would once again have a summary of the day’s news from Iran. I, like Niteowl, have gotten all of my information from reliable tweets and am not reporting any information that I could not confirm.

January 19, 2010

Protests/General news

1 The secular Green Movement and their “15-point manifesto of the Secular Green Movement” continues to gain signatures, the most interesting signature coming from the Grand Ayatollah Seyyed Hossein Kazemeyni Boroujerdi, who has called for the separation of religion and government.

2. Three weekly newspapers, the wj-e Andisheh, Hemmat, and Farhang-e Ashti, have been banned by Iranian authorities.

3. The students of the slain professor Massoud Ali-Mohammadi have posted a video tribute, the mother of the detained student leader Majid Tavakoli spoke with Voice of America, and the father of Seyed Ali Mousavi (the nephew of Mir Hossein Mousavi killed on Ashura) has talked about his son’s death.

4. Mohammad Khatami spoke with a group of post-election detainees who have been released, he criticized those in power who “commit violence with complete immunity” and declared, “Many lies have been told these days and many promises have been made but people see those in charge of their affairs have not done much.” Khatami also stated that the Green movement is operating with legal boundaries and with respect for the Islamic Republic, “People realize that many of the protesters are not ill-intentioned and their protest is reasonable.”

5. Iran’s police forces have once again warned of their monitoring of the internet and text messaging services, this comes just a few days after warning Iranians against organizing via emails or text messages.

6. 50 political activists and 800 Ashura protesters are under heavy pressure to name friends who participated in the demonstrations on Ashura. The head of Iran’s judiciary, Sadegh Larijani, has given permission to detain “all” who participated in Grand Ayatollah Montazeri’s memorial and Ashura rallies.

Arrests/Sentences

1. Majid Tavakoli’s sentence was announced: Eight years and six months he is to serve in prison.

1. Five years for participating in an illegal gathering
    2. One year for propagating against the regime.
    3. Two years for insulting the Supreme Leader
    4. Six months for insulting the President
    5. Five years ban from any involvement in political activities.
    6. Five years ban from leaving the country.

Media

CNN now has a section of its website dedicated to the protests Protests in Iran

I still need translators so if you know another language and can translate send me an email to c_weible@hotmail.com. If you are translating the Green Brief already could you send me an email so I can get a list of those who are translating it and into what language.