Customize

Green Brief #86 Jan 17

Discussion in 'Green Brief' started by codeman177, Jan 17, 2010.

1. codeman177 Moderator

Green Brief #86

By Codeman177 – http:/twitter.com/codeman177

Since Niteowl has started posting on his own blog, I have asked if I could begin publishing the Green Brief so that everyone on wwp would once again have a summary of the day’s news from Iran. I, like Niteowl, have gotten all of my information from reliable tweets and am not reporting any information that I could not confirm.

January 17th, 2010

Protests/General news

1. Two weeks left until 11 days of celebration begin to mark the anniversary of the 1979 revolution. Since the protests of Ashura, the public scene has died down significantly, however. Preparations for more protests continue.

2. The regime has threatened to try demonstrators for the crime of Mohareb (war against god), more than 60 journalists and human rights activists have signed an open letter denouncing this.

3. As the regime tries to break protests with more arrests, there are claims that Eshrat Abad Prison could become a “second Kahrizak.” Kahrizak Prison was site of post-election detainee abuses and at least three deaths before it was closed on the orders of Ayatollah Khamenei.

4. Former Tehran Prosecutor General Saeed Mortazavi has rejected the Parliamentary report that holds him accountable for the post-election abuses at Kahrizak Prison.

5. Amir Kabir Newsletter claims that Hossein Mahmoodi, the nephew of Hojatoleslam Jafar Montazeri, the head of Iran’s Administrative Justice Court, is amongst a number of Ashura protesters who have been marked out for execution.

6. The Mourning Mothers Persist. A week after their protest was disrupted by 33 arrests, the Mourning Mothers and their supporters gathered again in Lahleh Park yesterday, chanting, “You can occupy Lahleh Park, but not our country.”

7. A new website has been created by journalists and human rights activists to bring attention to the cases of less prominent post-election detainees.

Arrests/Sentences

1. Reports indicate that senior reformist and former member of Parliament, Mohsen Safai Farahani, has been sentenced to 6 years in jail.

2. Student activist, Majid Dorri, has received an 11-year jail sentence.
    Media

CNN now has a section of its website dedicated to the protests Protests in Iran

I still need translators so if you know another language and can translate send me an email to c_weible@hotmail.com. If you are translating the Green Brief already could you send me an email so I can get a list of those who are translating it and into what language.

Thanks to @shhh527 for editing tonight’s Green Brief.