Customize

Green Brief #121 (Mar 11)

Discussion in 'Green Brief' started by codeman177, Mar 11, 2011.

1. codeman177 Moderator

Green Brief #121

March 11th 2011

By Codeman177 – http:/twitter.com/codeman177

The information in the Brief comes from tweets from people on the ground in Libya and Iran.
    I've tried to include only information that I could confirm. News agencies are credited where appropriate. All Green Briefs are released under Creative Commons

Iran

Politics

1. Ayatollah Mahdavi Kani has issued his first statement after the Assembly of Experts election, declaring, "We must preserve unity."

Arrests/ Releases

1. Kourosh Zaim, a senior member of the Iran National Front party, has been released on bail.

2. Jay Deshmukh, the deputy of the AFP bureau in Tehran, has been expelled from Iran.

3. Reformist Sayed Housein Marashi, a former Vice President in the Khatami Administration, has been released after serving his one-year sentence.

4. Mohammad Reza Malekian and Iman Sedighi have been freed on bail.

Libya

General News

1. Saif Al Islam Gaddafi, a son of the Muammar Gaddafi, spoke to an audience in Tripoli today. In his speech he claimed that there was "a military plot", involving terrorists released from Guantanamo Bay, who took over weapons depots in east Libya. He added claims such as the "lynching" of people, "killed by razors, with their eyes popped out", by the opposition in Zawiyah.

2. There was a pro-regime rally in Az Zawiyah today, with people chanting “We love Gaddafi.” The regime has taken full control of the town, after pushing the opposition out of the town yesterday.

3. The regime having taken Ras Lanuf yesterday is moving on Brega. The opposition has retreated from Ras Lanuf and is rallying in Brega to defend the city from the regime.

Politics

1. The regime has sent a group of delegates to Cairo to attend an Arab League meeting on the crisis. It is unclear if the delegates will be allow entrance to the meeting. The Arab League has suspended the regime in protest against Gaddafi's handling of the uprising.

Misc
    1. For anyone that wants to post the Green Brief anywhere else all I ask is that you keep the line that contains my username and link to my twitter account. And a link back to the original article here.

2. Also can I ask a favor of those of you who read this. I would like to get the Green Brief popular again, so if you're reading this and you have a twitter account. Could you all tweet a link back here, or if you follow me on twitter retweet the link I post.

3.If you have questions, comments, complaints, etc about the Green Brief they can be sent to greenbrief@live.com