Customize

Green Brief #118 (Mar 8)

Discussion in 'Green Brief' started by codeman177, Mar 8, 2011.

1. codeman177 Moderator

Green Brief #118

March 8th 2011

By Codeman177 – http:/twitter.com/codeman177

The information in the Brief comes from tweets from people on the ground in Libya and Iran.
    I've tried to include only information that I could confirm. News agencies are credited where appropriate. All Green Briefs are released under Creative Commons.

Protest/ General news

1. Ayatollah Mahdavi Kani has won the election for the leadership of the Assembly of Experts with 64 votes, defeating the incumbent Hashemi Rafsanjani.

2. Kalemeh, a news website linked to Mousavi released a story today claiming the Mir Hossein Mousavi and his wife Zahra Rahnavard are in their home under house arrest. The story contradicted the reports that Mousavi and Rahnavard were moved to a house of detention, instead stating that they have been under strict house arrest.Mehdi and fatemeh Karroubi are believed to still be in detention.

3. The streets of Tehran were flooded with security forces today in anticipation of protests in support of International Women's Day.

4. Basiji forces harassed and attacked the Mourning Mothers of Laleh Park group near Amirabad Street. The mothers attempted to gather in recognition of International Women’s Day.

5. Security forces blocked the streets leading to the squares and told the people, “Downtown is closed today.” On Takht Tavoos Street, security forces took extra measures to prevent the formation of protests. They performed public physical checks and interrogations on pedestrians and investigated their mobile phones. On Yousef Abad Street, there were clashes reported between protesting civilians and security forces. On Fatemeh Street, Security forces attempted to disperse civilians by using tear gas and firing shots in the air. Dozens of people were reportedly arrested in Tehran today.

Arrests

1. Ali Bagheri of the Mojahedin of the Islamic Revolution has been released on $50,000 bail.

Libya

General News

1. The Regime continued to try to stop the opposition advance in Ras Lanuf today. The Regime launched numerous airstrikes on the town. At least one of the air strikes hit in a residential area.

2. The regime continued its counter-attack on the western front-line of Az Zawiyah today. The regime force consisted of about 50 tanks and 120 technicals. The regime also used aircraft to bomb opposition positions. Even with these numbers the regime forces could not reach the city center, which remained in opposition hands.

3. Opposition controlled eastern Libya is at a risk of running out of fuel in a few weeks time. Oil is still flowing in eastern Libya, however refineries have cut crude processing. Without a steady supply of fuel the opposition's march on Tripoli could run the risk of stalling out.

4. Saadi Gaddafi, one of Gaddafi's sons, has stated that his father has not gone in to “full” battle mode yet. He warned that the situation is not like Tunisia or Egypt.

Politics

1. A representative of Muammar Gaddafi offered talks with the rebel National Libyan Council on his exit but the council rejected it, Mustafa Gheriani, a rebel spokesman said.

“I confirm that we received contact from a Gaddafi representative seeking to negotiate Gaddafi's exit. We rejected this. We are not negotiating with someone who spilled Libyan blood and continues to do so. Why would we trust the guy today?”

2. Libyan State Television has denied the claim that Gaddafi has sought a deal with the opposition that would see him step down with certain guarantees.

Misc

1. For anyone that wants to post the Green Brief anywhere else all I ask is that you keep the line that contains my username and link to my twitter account. And a link back to the original article here.

2. Also can I ask a favor of those of you who read this. I would like to get the Green Brief popular again, so if you're reading this and you have a twitter account. Could you all tweet a link back here, or if you follow me on twitter retweet the link I post.

3. In celebration of International Women's Day, Enduring America has a special report on the 107 imprisoned women in Iran: http://www.enduringamerica.com/home/2011/3/8/iran-special-profiles-of-107-imprisoned-women.html

4. Also if you have questions, comments, complaints, death threats, etc about the Green Brief they can be sent to greenbrief@live.com