Customize

Green Brief #117 (Mar 1)

Discussion in 'Green Brief' started by codeman177, Mar 1, 2011.

1. codeman177 Moderator

Green Brief #117

March 1st 2011

By Codeman177 – http:/twitter.com/codeman177

The information in the Brief comes from tweets from people on the ground in Libya and Iran.
    I've tried to include only information that I could confirm. News agencies are credited where appropriate. All Green Briefs are released under Creative Commons.

Protest/ General news

1. Today starts the weekly Tuesday protests. Today started with a heavy security presence in Tehran with security forces at all major intersections and squares.

2. Protesters gathered in Enghelab, Azadi, and Vali Asr squares. Security forces fired into the air and used tear gas to disperse the protesters. The protesters in Enghelab square moved on the security forces attempting to push them from the square. Following this security vans moved into Enghelab square, about 50 protesters were arrested.

3. Protesters attempted to gather in Shiraz and Tabriz however they were met with a heavy security presence. Protesters also gathered in Tehran’s Ferdowsi Square, Behboudi Street, and Navab Street. They were met by security forces firing tear gas to disperse them. Eye witness report indicate that security forces fired live ammunition into crowds in Vanak square in Tehran.

4. Protesters chanted “death to the dictators” and called for the release of Mousavi and Karroubi. Following the day of protests, people gathered on the roof tops chanting Allah Akbar and Marg Bar Dictator.

5. The Prosecutor General, Gholam-Hossein Mohseni-Ejei has denied that Mousavi and Karroubi were arrested.

Politics

1. A letter has been written to United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon to urge his intervention for the freeing of Mir Hossein Mousavi, Zahra Rahnavard, and Mehdi and Fatemeh Karroubi.

2. Mojtaba Vahedi has claimed in an interview that Mojtaba Khamenei, the son of the Supreme Leader, played a key role in the decision to arrest Mir Hossein Mousavi, Zahra Rahnavard, and Mehdi and Fatemeh Karroubi on Thursday night.

Arrests

1. Qazvin University student Ali Bayani was arrested this week for promoting today’s protests.

2. At least 50 were arrested in Enghelab square today. An additional 150 were arrested in Mashhad. Their were rumors of hundreds being arrested through out Iran today, however no numbers have been confirmed.

Misc

1. For anyone that wants to post the Green Brief anywhere else all I ask is that you keep the line that contains my username and link to my twitter account. And a link back to the original article here.

2. Also can I ask a favor of those of you who read this. I would like to get the Green Brief popular again, so if you're reading this and you have a twitter account. Could you all tweet a link back here, or if you follow me on twitter retweet the link I post.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. lulzgasm Member

Dictators suck.
  3. lulzgasm Member

Say, why am I picturing several hundred thousand e-mails clogging up certain *ahem* e-mail accounts with "Dictators Suck!" as the subject line?

Hmmmmm.....
    Operation Spam the Dictators?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dvybeyond Member

Weird - I kinda imagined the same... :)
    • Like Like x 1