Customize

Green Brief #113 (Feb 23)

Discussion in 'Green Brief' started by codeman177, Feb 23, 2011.

1. codeman177 Moderator

Green Brief #113

February 23rd 2011

By Codeman177 – http:/twitter.com/codeman177

The information in the Brief comes from tweets from people on the ground in Libya and Iran.
    I've tried to include only information that I could confirm. New agencies are credited where appropriate. All Green Briefs are released under Creative Commons.

Protest/ General news

1. Majid Mokhtari, the brother of Mohammed Mokhtari the protester killed in clashes on 25 Bahman, has stated that the regime is still attempting to claim that Mohammed was a regime supporter. The regime even took his coffin.

2. The family members of former President Hashemi Rafsanjani were attacked after a service at Shabdalazim Mosque.

3. Tayyebe Safaie, the head of the woman’s section of parliament has called for the prosecution of Faezeh Hashemi, daughter of Rafsanjani, and Zahra Rahnavard, wife of Mir Hossein Mousavi.

4. A parliamentary committee has found Mousavi and Karroubi to be “corruption angels on earth.” That claim maybe equivalent to “mohareb” (war against god), which carries the death penalty.

Politics

1. Ahmadinejad appeared on state TV today declaring that the wave of protests sweeping the middle east will spread to Europe and North America, ending the oppression of the “arrogant powers.” He also condemned Libya's use of forces against peaceful demonstrators and urged Libyan leaders to give in to the demands of their people.

2. Allah Karam, a former Revolutionary Guard officer, has stated the Mir Hossein Mousavi and Mehdi Karroubi want to convert Iran to a secular democracy and have blinded Rafsanjani so he can not see the American, British, and Israeli involvement in their plan.

Libya

Protests/ General news.

1.The current death toll in Libya according to a military spokesperson is 189 civilian dead and 111 military dead. According to Human Right Watch list at least 560 civilian dead.

2. A Libyan army brigade in Jebel Akhdar has joined the “peoples revolution.”

3. The Guardian reports that an Air Force Major in Benghazi witnessed four thousand African Mercenaries arriving in country on February 14th. The Major stated that this is the reason for that large amount of military defections.

4. The crew of a Libyan Air Force plane, bailed out of their plane after being ordered to bomb the city of Benghazi.

5. Protesters have taken complete control of Tobruk and Misurata. Army officers in the city of Misurata have pledged their support of the protesters.

6. The opposition took control of the city of Tajoura , 10 miles from Tripoli. The protesters raised an opposition flag over the city early this morning. However about 1 GMT military forces loyal to Gaddafi laid siege to the city using tanks.

7. The Libyan Deputy Foreign Minister has warned journalists who have entered the country illegally that they may face arrest unless they surrender to the authorites.

Politics

1. French President Nicolas Sarkozy, has called for the cutting of trade and economic ties with Libya.

2. Both President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton have condemned the volence in protesters in Libya. In his speech Obama stated that the US is working with its allies to investigate all options to respond to the crisis in Libya.

Misc

1. For anyone that wants to post the Green Brief anywhere else all I ask is that you keep the line that contains my username and link to my twitter account. And a link back to the original article here.

2. Also can I ask a favor of those of you who read this. I would like to get the Green Brief popular again, so if your reading this and you have a twitter account. Could you all tweet a link back here, or if you follow me on twitter retweet the link I post.