Customize

Green Brief #111 (Feb 20)

Discussion in 'Green Brief' started by codeman177, Feb 20, 2011.

1. codeman177 Moderator

Green Brief #111

February 20th 2011

By Codeman177 – http:/twitter.com/codeman177

The information in the Brief comes from tweets from people on the ground in Iran. I've tried to include only information that I could confirm.

Protest/ General news

1. Protesters began gathering in 7 Tir square, Vali Asr square, and Sohrevardi square at around 1200 GMT.

2. Security forces in Vali Asr square attacked protesters with batons and tear gas. As the protesters were dispersed the fell back a few streets away to regroup. After regrouping the protesters continued to chant against the regime and security forces. The security forces used ambulances as decoys to arrest injured protesters.

3. In Shariz, security forces with Basiji support dispersed protesters as they gathered in Mulasadra avenue. Five protesters were injured in the clashes and 50 more were arrested

4. Live ammunition was used by security forces against protesters in 7 tir square, vanak square, and mahabad. Rumors are that three were killed in Tehran, with one be confirmed dead in 7 tir square.

5. Internet connections were slowed through Iran today and cell phone lines in central Tehran were disconnected.

6. State TV completely ignored the protests, reporting that Tehran was calm all day today.

Politics

1. Ahmed Maleki, top diplomat at the Iranian embassy in Milan, Italy, has resigned in sympathy with the green movement.

2. Speaker of the parliament, Ali Larijani, declared that force against people will lead to nothing, as it only makes the opposition more determined.

3. Ahmad Tavakoli, a key member of parliament, echoed Ali Larijani's call for restraint in dealing with protesters. However at the same time he repeated Larijani's speech that the US and Israel were behind the 25 Bahman marches.

4. Mousavi spoke briefly to his family yesterday, he reassured them that he and his wife are fine. He stated that his personal security forces have been replaced with regime security forces. The regime security forces are in charge of supplying the family with their basic needs. All means of contact from Mousavi's residence has been cut, including phone and internet.

5. Mehdi Karroubi, called on the members of parliament to carry out their threat to try him in court. He stated that he wants to defend himself in from of the court.

Arrests

1. Faizeh Hashemi, daughter of Hashemi Rafsanjani, was arrested today for directing protests near Vali Asr square. She was later released after she claimed that she was shopping.

2. Five students from Khaje Nasir University were arrested toady

3. The following students at Tehran University were arrested: Farnaz Kamail, Sohrab Jafari, and Habib Farahzadi

4. Currently I've been unable to confirm an accurate number of those arrested today.

Misc

1. For anyone that wants to post the Green Brief anywhere else all I ask is that you keep the line that contains my username and link to my twitter account. And a link back to the original article here.

2. Also can I ask a favor of those of you who read this. I would like to get the Green Brief popular again, so if your reading this and you have a twitter account. Could you all tweet a link back here, or if you follow me on twitter retweet the link I post.