Customize

Green Brief #110 (Feb 15)

Discussion in 'Green Brief' started by codeman177, Feb 15, 2011.

1. codeman177 Moderator

Green Brief #110

February 15th 2011

By Codeman177 – http:/twitter.com/codeman177

The information in the Brief comes from tweets from people on the ground in Iran. I've tried to include only information that I could confirm.

Egypt

Politics

1. Essam El-Erian, a leader of the Muslim Brotherhood, has stated that the group will not seek to form a parliamentary majority in the next election, However they have said that they will form a political party.

2. The supreme military council has appointed Tareq al-bishry, a retired judge, to head a committee on constitutional reform.

3. Adly Fayed, the director of public security at the interior ministry and Ismail El Shaer, Cairo's security chief, have been fired for their involvement in the decision to open fire on the pro-democracy protesters during the uprising.

Iran

Protests/ General

1. State TV tried to set the record straight about what happened on monday. They stated that anti-government groups including members of the MKO staged riots and killed one member of the police forces. They also claimed that the protests only numbered only a few hundred.

2. The regime claimed today that Tehran University student Sanee Zhaleh, a protester killed during clashes with police yesterday, was killed not by police but by the protesters themselves. Basij students plan to hold a memorial service Wednesday morning.

3. Regime supporters rallied in front of the Tehran prosecutors office against Karroubi and Mousavi. The demonstrators hung an effigy of Mousavi. After a few hours the demonstrators moved to Karroubi's home, where they chanted slogans against him.

Politics

1. Andeshir Amir-Arjomand, a senior adviser to Mir Hossein Mousavi,called monday's rallies a “great victory.” He stated that “we were looking for a peaceful movement from the Iranian people and to show that the green movement is still alive and well.”

2. The Iranian Parliament declared support for the security forces. And in a noisy demonstration called for the death penalty for opposition leadership including Mousavi and Karroubi.

3. Nohsen Rezaei, the secretary of the expediency council, stated today that the “leaders of the sedition” have until tonight to apologize for the organization of the 25 Bahman rallies. Otherwise the people are fully entitled to take any action against them.

4. Both Mousavi and Karroubi released statements today to the Iranian people. The can be read here: پیامهای موسوی و کروبی خطاب به ملت درباره راهپیمایی ۲۵ بهمن /Mousavi and Karroubi Address The Nation Following Feb 14 Rally (EN) | Facebook

Arrests/ Deaths

1. The Iranian prosecutor's office claimed today that 1500 protesters were detained yesterday.

2. Another death has been confirmed resulting from clashes with police forces yesterday. Mohamad Mokhtari was shot during protests on monday.

3. The following protesters were arrested today:
    1. Seyed Bagher Oskoei – head of the youth branch of Mehdi Karroubi's Etemade Melli Party.
    2. Farhad Fathi – secretary of the reformist students of Qazvin International University.
    3. Susan and Mohamad Mostat Bayat Zanjani
    4. Ali Habavi

Bahrain

Protests/ General News

1. Protests started today in Bahrain with reports of thousands walking beside the coffin of Ali Mushaima, the demonstrator killed on Monday, on its way to the cemetery. Protesters and police clashed outside of Salmaniyia hospital where the body of Ali was being held.

2. A second protester has died, Fahdel Ali Al Matrook. Currently it is unclear whether he died yesterday or today during clashes at the funeral procession.

3. Protesters occupied the Pearl Roundabout, the center of the capital city Manama. Like the protesters in Egypt, they have set up tents and are refusing to leave the area until their demands are met.

Politics

1. The Shi'ite party Alweraq has suspended it's perticipation in Bahrain's parliament after the clashes between police and protesters on Monday.

2. King Hamad Bin Isa al-Khalifa spoke on TV today to express condolences to the families of the slain protesters, and to say the deaths at the hands of the police will be investigated.

Misc

1. For anyone that wants to post the Green Brief anywhere else all I ask is that you keep the line that contains my username and link to my twitter account. And a link back to the original article here.

2. Also can I ask a favor of those of you who read this. I would like to get the Green Brief popular again, so if your reading this and you have a twitter account. Could you all tweet a link back here, or if you follow me on twitter retweet the link I post.