Customize

Green Brief #107 (Feb 10)

Discussion in 'Green Brief' started by codeman177, Feb 10, 2011.

1. codeman177 Moderator

Green Brief #107

February 10th 2011

By Codeman177 – http:/twitter.com/codeman177

You may notice that this Green Brief is not pertaining to Iran. After watching the events unfold in Egypt over the last few days, I got the urge to write again. This information comes from people on the ground in Egypt.

Protest/ General news

1. Al Jazeera reported today the protests and strikes took place in Assuit and Said regions in northern Egypt. These included protests at universities and government buildings. Strikes took place at pharmaceutical and electrical companies.

2. Thousands marched in front of Abdeen Palace about a half a mile east of Tahrir square. About 200 of the protesters were lawyers. The protesters were chanting down with Hosni Mubarak. Police tried to break up the protesters but they were quickly routed by the protesters.

3. The High council of the Egyptian Army met today. This is the first time the council without the President, the Defense Minister was in charge of the meeting. The council reassured the protesters that their demands would be met. The Army released a statement at the same time stating, “that it was committed to safeguarding the people and protecting the interests of the nation.”

4. Mubarak made a speech this evening. He began his speech by expressing “deep pain” for the victims of the violence and will hold those responsible for the violence accountable. He claimed the he has recognized the legitimate demands of the protesters and will respond to them. Mubarak claimed that he had received the first report on constitutional reform and today proposed amendments to six articles. He went on to say that the current situation in Egypt can not be tolerated, with economic difficulties and youth being it's victims. He then announced that he would hand some of his minor powers to the vice president Omar Suleiman. He then reiterated that he will not leave Egypt until he is dead and buried. Once again Mubarak has once again refused to step down.

5. Immediately following the speech protesters began moving from Tahrir square to the presidential palace, state TV building, and the parliament building. The protesters planned to occupy these areas tonight. There are plans for large protests tomorrow, with marches from Tahrir to the presidential palace.

6. In Alexandria following the speech protesters marched on the Army headquarters. The protesters want the Army to remove Mubarak from power now.

7. Vice President Omar Suleiman spoke on State TV immediately following Mubarak's speech. He called on protesters to go home, stating that the protesters were causing damage to the country. He also told the protesters to stop watching satellite stations that were promoting sedition.

Politics

1. Islam Loffi, a lawyer and leader of the Muslim Brotherhood Youth made this comment to the New York Times. When asked if he could imagine an Egyptian President who was a Christian woman. He replied, “If it is a government of institutions, I don't care if the president is a monkey.”

2. The Minister of Interior Mahmoud Wagdy dismissed Abdullah Saqr, chief of the Al-Wadi Al-Jadid security department and referred him for investigation. This comes after the violent clashes Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Which resulted in 4 dead and at least 100 injured.

3. The Muslim Brotherhood today expressed concerns that the military could use the current situation to take control of Egypt.

Arrests

1. Blogger and activist Kareem Amer was arrest tonight.

Misc

1. If you want to get an accurate picture of what is going on Egypt I would suggest that you watch Al Jazeera. They have an have been reporting none stop since the protest began. for a live stream in English go to Al Jazeera English: Live Stream - Watch Now - Al Jazeera English

2. For anyone that wants to post the Green Brief anywhere else all I ask is that you keep the line that contains my username and link to my twitter account. And a link back to the original article here.

3. Also can I ask a favor of those of you who read this. I would like to get the Green Brief popular again, so if your reading this and you have a twitter account. Could you all tweet a link back here, or if you follow me on twitter retweet the link I post.