Customize

Green Brief #103

Discussion in 'Green Brief' started by codeman177, Feb 3, 2011.

1. codeman177 Moderator

Green Brief #103

February 3st 2011

By Codeman177 – http:/twitter.com/codeman177

You may notice that this Green Brief is not pertaining to Iran. After watching the events unfold in Egypt over the last few days, I got the urge to write again. This information comes from people on the ground in Egypt.

Protest/ General news

1. Tahrir square was much quieter today than yesterday. The Army was given the order today to stop additional pro-Mubarak demonstrators from entering the square. They separated both sides to prevent more violence. As today wore on small clashes were reported, with both sides throwing rocks and Molotov cocktails at each other. Late in the afternoon pro-democracy protesters took the October 6th bridge and the overpasses connected to it. They erected new barricades in order to stop attacks by thugs.

2. In Alexandria pro-democracy protesters occupied the main square of the city. Declaring they would not move until Mubarak stepped down. Pro-Mubarak protesters tried to attack the pro-democracy protesters but were separated. The pro-democracy protesters are remaining in the square preparing for tomorrows “Day of Departure.”

3. The Ministry of Health reported figures of 13 dead and 1,000 injured in the last 24 hours. Al Jazeera claimed a different figure of 5,000 injured in 24 hours.

4. Yasser El Shimi a diplomat at the Egyptian embassy in the US resigned today in a show of support for the protesters.

Politics

1. Hillary Clinton condemned the attacks on reporters, stating that the reporters should be able to openly report on the demonstrations. She said that the attacks violated the international norm of freedom of the press.

2. A group of US senators and representatives have stated they are willing to cut of all aid to Egypt if Mubarak doesn't step down immediately.

3. The Obama administration has entered in to discussion with the Egyptian government concerning Mubarak stepping down. They have developed a plan involving Mubarak stepping down and Omar Suleiman taking power as part of a transitional government.

4. President Mubarak stated today that he was willing to step down immediately but was afraid that it would lead to more chaos.

5. Gamal Mubarak, Hosni Mubarak's son resigned his membership in the National Democratic Party.

6. Prime Minister, Achmed Shafiq, has apologized for yesterdays events calling for an investigation into who was responsible. He also stressed the economic impact that the protests are having to the Egyptian economy.

7. In a speech today, Vice President Omar Suleiman stated that the demands of the youth are legitimate and acceptable. He went on to say that the government has examined the demands and will be implementing reforms. He also blamed foreign operatives for inciting violence and that they would be found and held accountable for their actions. Suleiman asked the people to stop protesting, stating that the protests were only holding the country back.

8. Opposition group Kefaya said that following the events of yesterday that it is not longer possible for Mubarak to have a peaceful exit. The group went on the say “He must be tried in court.”

Journalists

1. The government controlled newspaper “Al Ahram” ran this headline this morning: “Millions protest in support of Mubarak.”

2. The government began a brutal crack down on reports today, with many being sttacked or arrested by security forces.

3. The Ramses Hilton where many reporters are staying began confiscating journalist equipment stating they were not longer allowed to take the equipment to their rooms. The hotel was attacked several time by pro-Mubarak protesters and security forces. Reporters were attacked and arrested.

4. Pro-Mubarak protesters were given the order to attack reporters, preventing them from getting pictures or video of the demonstrators.

5. Three of Al Jazeera's reporters who were arrested earlier this week have been released.

6. Shahira Amin, the senior reporter for Nile TV a state run news network, resigned today and joined pro-democracy protesters in Tahirir square. She resigned because she no longer wanted to be part of the regime's propaganda. She told Al Jazeera in an interview late today that she was being ordered to only report on the pro-Mubarak protests.

7. At least two dozen journalists from different agencies are unaccounted for.

Misc

1. 1. If you want to get an accurate picture of what is going on Egypt I would suggest that you watch Al Jazeera. They have an have been reporting none stop since the protest began. for a live stream in English go to Al Jazeera English: Live Stream - Watch Now - Al Jazeera English

2. For anyone that wants to post the Green Brief anywhere else all I ask is that you keep the line that contains my username and link to my twitter account. And a link back to the original article here.

3. Also can I ask a favor of those of you who read this. I would like to get the Green Brief popular again, so if your reading this and you have a twitter account. Could you all tweet a link back here, or if you follow me on twitter retweet the link I post.
  2. Tehran Member

Thank you my brother for your extensive report - please post these to WWP Freedom of Information forum if you can. God bless you and the work you do!
  3. spaz926 Member

I did this, but it would help if you, codeman, would do it because you are author.
  4. codeman177 Moderator

I'll start posting it there with tonights brief. Thanks for posting the last few for me.