Customize

Glenn Greenwald lays a smackdown on Fran Townsend during Wikileaks debate on CNN

Discussion in 'Wikileaks' started by Anonymous, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

2. Anonymous Member

Re: Glenn Greenwald lays a smackdown on Fran Townsend during Wikileaks debate on CNN

The world needs more Glenn Greenwald.

Is it me, or is it getting increasingly difficult to tell the difference between Faux News and CNN? Seriously, those questions were so fucking loaded it was painful to watch.

Still, nice to see a couple of lying scumbags have their asses slashed by the righteous whip of truth. Bravo.
  3. exOT8Michael Member

Re: Glenn Greenwald lays a smackdown on Fran Townsend during Wikileaks debate on CNN

He did great.

Truth prevails over lies. Just like with Scientology failing due to Anonymous, OG and exes.
  4. DeathHamster Member

I think he missed one smack (it was a target rich environment): Fran Townsend claimed that proper journalists redact stories when publishing leaks. The Afghanistan ones were redacted to some degree, don't know about the diplomatic ones, and in both cases, the US government refused to cooperate with Wikileaks in redacting sensitive information.

The questions were so clumsily biased that I think the CNN person needs a Thinking Brain dog to help her out.
  5. Anonymous Member

She kept asking "Shouldn't he be ready to go to jail?" How are you suppose to answer this? This is such a moronic question, the mind boggles. The reactions to Wikileaks should be more of an eye opener to U.S. citizens than the leaks themselves.
  6. Anonymous Member

word
  7. Seneca Member

Msnbc has also become a mainstream media infomercial.
    I am not sure if its that I never saw how poor the mainstream media
    was or if it has had a sharp downturn in the last decade.

I wish we could know who our masters really are. The way fox,cnn,msnbc
    report, it seems they are moving public opinions
    in the service of some entity(s). It would be great if someone who
    has some real knowledge would explain how things really operate
    in this world.

It is also quite disheartening that so few see how transparent the
    manipulation has become.

p.s. This site is rocktastic!
  8. Anonymous Member

I don't know where you've been lately, but MSNBC has been challenging what the rest of the mainstream media has been saying and twisting about Wikileaks, Assange and Manning. While most mainstream media focuses on the sensationalism of the rape case or Assange's "agenda", MSNBC has stepped in to discuss the content of what's being leaked, as well as the disgust of how the mainstream media as well as the government is advocating the death or prosecution of a man not guilty of any crime. Just look at the Assange interview with Cenk Uygur and try to compare it with FOX or CNN. You really can't.
  9. Anonymous Member

Astonishing amounts of tinfoil headed your way mate. Good luck, and be dubious of sources such as Alex Jones, David Icke and Richard Cage. There are plenty of other sketchy sources of info, but at least I have caught these people spinning tall tales in the past.
  10. Anonymous Member

It has always been this way, you just didn't notice because in most cases you probably didn't have the means or the interest to get the real facts to a story yourself from alternative sources and so you just assumed that what the mainstream media manufactured was actually the truth.
  11. Anonymous Member

Outlets like CNN are focused on the distribution of tasty infomorsels, not journalism which requires, among other things, time and research. What do you think the ratio timewise of news to ads is on that station? Also, the meat puppets in front of the cameras don't write their own scripts; what do you think that interviewwench is more focused on, asking good questions or flipping her hair?

/not "real knowledge"
  12. SOJOA Member

The media sucks everywhere no matter what part of the world your in. I watch BBC about American news cause they seem to not care one way or the other what happens here but still. Everything is bias.

As long as everyone uses their own brains and doesnt just spout off exactly what they hear in the news as truth, i.e. Fox News watchers, then we will be just fine.

:p
  13. Anonymous Member

The title of this thread is a little misleading, They didn't do much speaking directly to one another and the one time I saw they did Fran replied to him and he could not comment he stammered and was cut off by the host.

He did start off well, but about 8min in he turned into a whinny little bitch. And he never really did answer the question about JA writting a book for profit. Also seems $ 200K for legal fees of not being charged with a crime seems to be of his own choosing.
  14. Anonymous Member

That he has a lucrative deal with a corporation is a strawman. Assange (and I) is for increased transparency in our societies, he is not against free markets. One of the problem is when governments associate with private interests at the expense of the public good. I couldn't care less if a successful corporation stick to its first purpose, which is to increase shareholder value while abiding to laws and regulations, as long as it doesn't involve itself in public affairs and hijack public institutions/policies/resources to better serve its first purpose. But this is the picture today, too many governments serve private interests first, there are so many examples of this, this is ridiculous. If I were Greenwald, I wouldn't have "defended" that strawman, maybe just ask the host where she got the idea that Assange is against "corporations."
  15. Anonymous Member

The host was only asking loaded questions with false premises.
    Like "Any qualms that Assange is profiting from classified information (by writing his biography)?"
    What a bullshit. He isn't profiting from classified information by writing his own biography. His own biography is not "classified information".
    Now obviously he could cut a good deal with a publisher due to the circumstance that the mainstream media has given him so much attention and made him essentially famous around the world.
  16. Anonymous Member

Not to derail but I had not seen the Uygur interview, which - although more of an Assange soapbox than an interview - is excellent IMHO. Thx.

YouTube - Exclusive Julian Assange Interview With Cenk Uygur (12/22/10)
  17. Anonymous Member

It is not a strawman, it was the opening question. You must be in another debate. This was a segment about Assange saying he didn't want to write a book. The book and the amount of money are the issue of this segment NOT the content of the leaks or the actions of governments. Greenwald was the one who brought up the classified information. He changed the subject the minute he opened his mouth.

I think the host was commenting on how Assange played the media and is now going to profit to the tune of a reported 1.3-1.5 Million. I think it is a fair question.
  18. Anonymous Member

She asked Greenwald if he sees the irony that he was making money off a "corporate publisher". She says that since he "derides" corporations, its contradictory. She is the one being contradictory, since in her introduction, she correctly quotes from Wikileaks' website: "Assange explains his beliefs that some governments and corporations conspire to oppress people." That's the strawman: Not *all*, *some* governments and corporations. So unlike her I see no contradiction in earning a living with a "corporate publisher." That would have been my answer.
  19. Anonymous Member

Then Greenwald should have simply said "no, he does not see any irony" . Not change the argument. You made the case better than he did, if that is the actual case, why didn't he simply say so? She didn't say *ALL* or imply all corporations, it was a very softball question and he answered it like it was a hardball question, and completely derailed the interview, instead of being able to point out possible flaws in the assumption many viewers might have.

Greenwald put himself in a very difficult position, he ended up having to justify why Assange is spending $200K in attorney's fees, and why he needs over a million dollars more when no charges have been filed, and he failed to justify it.
  20. DeathHamster Member

That word profit. What do you expect his legal fees will be by the time this is over?
  21. DeathHamster Member

Keep in mind that Greenwald was on the other end of a Skype connection to Rio de Janeiro. The quality was okay on the CNN end, but he seemed to be lagged to hell.
  22. Anonymous Member

Maybe I didn't notice. I was surprised they used skype. But I don't believe there was any outside interference.

I don't think either of us can give a good estimate at this time. But I imagine they would be rather low if no charges are filed. But it is still a profit from writing a book no matter how he spends it.

Just linked from this news article to one from Fox News, where their judge/host agrees that the US can not bring him to trial here. I don't believe we have seen the evidence that would get him to the US yet. IF that evidence exists. YouTube - "The Attacks On Julian Assange Are A Direct Contridiction Of American Values & American Law!"
    But he does seem to want to raise money for something.
  23. Anonymous Member

Do you think that a million dollars and change will cover the legal charges that he will encompass fighting extradiction charges against two governments - whether or not they have any relevant evidence against him?
  24. Anonymous Member

No, she didn't ask that.
  25. Anonymous Member

26. Random guy Member

Well, it certainly wasn’t the finest hour of impartial journalism.

I come from a country where the political spectrum and media at least are divided in their view of Wikileaks. Sure, we have those journalists that think asking "tough questions" is terribly clever, but they realize that such questions need to go bout ways. Any TV journalist here doing what Yellin did would find herself reading local trafic news very quickly.

I really hope for your americanfags here that your mainstream journalists start growning some balls.
  27. BigBeard Member

What interview were you watching?? Greenwald addressed the "book for profit" issue in answer to Fran's allegation in this regard very early on. Basically, the book isn't to make a "profit", it's to pay legal fees which are currently in the $200,000.00 range and growing daily

Strawman. He didn't choose to get jailed by a UK judge while fighting extradition to be questioned about the alleged rape charges. And these days, there are too many people who have needed lawyers when they were tagged as a "person of interest", but not charged with anything.

You're running too shallow. You'll need a downrigger to troll around here.

BigBeard
  28. Anonymous Member

Even if he is making a profit with the book, so what?
    Since when has it become immoral to make money from your own work?
  29. Anonymous Member

I have said it is not fair to guess at the price of legal fees for either side right now and he is not fighting extradition against two governments. (unless you are talking about the UK and Sweden) No charges have been filed yet.

She asked if Greenwald saw any irony in the fact that Assange was writing a book. It was the opening question after a long segment that was mostly about the book deal, and a reminder to the viewer who Assange was.

Well technically he did choose to be jailed when he turned himself in but I will grant you that he did not choose to be charged. But he is fighting extradition to sweden because he is fighting a Don Quixote battle with the US windmill right now.

I didn't go back to look for it but it was not addressed to Fran "early on" because Fran was not addressed until halfway thru the segment other than in her introduction.
  30. Anonymous Member

Nobody said it was, the host asked if it was a contradiction because of his past statements, it was a softball question and nobody thought or suggested it was immoral.
  31. Re: Glenn Greenwald lays a smackdown on Fran Townsend during Wikileaks debate on CNN

I read Yellin's response, and I've never read such self-serving bullshit. I loved it when Greenwald repeatedly said something like "That's what investigative journalists do. I don't know if you have them at CNN." Greenwald fucking owned those two fatuous harpies.
  32. Anonymous Member

No, she didn't.
    Here is what she asked:
    "Any qualms about the fact that he is essentially profiting from classified information and do you see any irony in the fact that he is making money of a corporate publisher?"
  33. Clever Name Member

Getting all tangled up in debating the virtues of Julian Assanges finances (or any of his personal virtues for that matter) = major distraction and potential road to fail.

Julian Assange is not Wikileaks, Julian Assange is an Individual, (now) a Media Personality, and a Tool (for good or ill).
  34. Anonymous Member

Thanking you for the "FATUOUS HARPIES" - 'tis satisfying the fucking fuckity fucking angry knots in my stomach I felt when watching COWARDLY bitches!
  35. Gary Moore Member

Oops!!
  36. Anonymous Member

I will grant you I did not use a direct quote as I said in the same post that I did not go back to review the video, that being said I believe we have the basic outline of the question. Greenwald could have and probably just should have said "no" and explained why but instead decided to jump into an entirely different subject. Greenwald either wanted to
    a)avoid the subject of the interview OR
    b) wanted to continue to attention whore some subject that the US has not spoken about with assumptions that they are going to take illegal actions.

and possibly all of the above.

I don't understand what the conflict you see is. There is currently no evidence in the media that suggests that the US wants him extradited, or wants to charge him. There is plenty in the media, because they feel it is a safe way to talk about the cables. (imo)If he is charged it would likely have to be on evidence that is not in the press. But Assange has been trying to spin this thing form the get-go to be something it wasnt. It isn't about the wikileaks it is about the the charges in Sweden. While the entire world wants to say that this is about the release of some really boring diplomatic cables instead of being a jerk to a couple of Swedish hussies. Anything else needs to be met with docs or GTFO.
  37. Anonymous Member

I think it's at least telling of the spin in media when she lays on "the fact" that he's profiting "from classified information", when I think she knows damned well the error in such a question.
  38. Anonymous Member

^^ Attempt at spin while complaining about spin^^

I think she was saying that he never would have been offered a book deal had he not leaked classified documents. It is unknown if those documents fell in his lap or if he conspired to get them, but it doesn't matter how he got them either way he would not have gotten a million+ dollar book deal with out those leaks.
  39. Anonymous Member

Yes, but of course that's irrelevant to the subject at hand, as the purpose of the spin was most likely to make it look like he didn't care about changing the world, but only about making money.
  40. Anonymous Member

lol, why do you always try to spin what she actually said?
    I quoted her exact question in a previous post. No need to rewrite it so that it fits your own idea of what she should have asked in your opinion.