Customize

Geir Isene "Doubt Writeup"

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by indeedindeed, Aug 28, 2009.

1. indeedindeed Member

Geir Isene "Doubt Writeup"

original by Geir Isene here:
    http://www.isene.com/files/Geir_Isene_doubt_COS_2009-08-07.pdf

I've been assured that Geir Isene isn't opposed to a translation. This is a place to work on the translation, unless someone already started something somewhere else. My knowledge of german scientologeese is fairly limited, so you'll see lots of seemingly strange translations such as "Zweifel-Bericht" for Doubt Writeup, "validieren" for validate "Kommandoabsichten" for command intention, "erscheint als realitätsfern" for out-reality, "Gegenleistung" for exchange etc. The translation of quotes by Hubbard, titles of lectures and similar stuff is probably going to be different from the german versions too.

edit: An alternative version may be found here, #8 in this thread:
    http://forums.whyweprotest.net/44-german/geir-isene-doubt-writeup-52026/#post1056624
    Now with 200% moar correct translation and correct german scilon terms!

This is a first draft. Any criticism, corrections, alternative ideas etc. are very welcome. Links are only in the appendices, not in the text as opposed to the original.

2. austrianon Member

Re: Geir Isene "Doubt Writeup"

Wow, a huge load of work must have gone into this. Impressive, to say the least.
    The translation itself is very, very good. And I mean it.

However, there are certain parts where I would like to offer you a different translation:

In the sentence "Die Möglichkeiten, etwas zu erreichen sind da- doch sie können durch schlechte Praxis und Unterdrückung des freien Willens unterdrückt werden.", "schlechte Praxis" could be replaced by "Missbrauch" or "Amtsmissbrauch".

In the sentence "Wie man weiss, wenn man Scientology studiert und die spirituelle Freiheit erreicht, schafft man sich die eigenen Feinde." the last bit seems a bit weird. I would say it like that "... schafft man sich die Feinde selbst," instead of "... schafft man sich die eigenen Feinde."

I would reword the sentence "Es ist an der Zeit, dem Herabsetzen von L. Ron Hubbards Technologie ein Ende zu bereiten und ebenso der sich daraus ergebenden schlechten PR." like that: "Es ist an der Zeit, dem Herabwürdigen von L. Ron Hubbards Technologie durch falsche Anwendung, und ebenso der sich daraus ergebenden schlechten PR, ein Ende zu bereiten."

The sentence ""Hiermit reiche ich meinen Bericht über meinen Umgang mit meinen eigenen Zweifeln über die Church ein." I would phrase like that "Hiermit reiche ich meinen Bericht über meine eigenen Zweifeln bezüglich der Church ein."

The sentence "Das Folgende ist ein zulässige WOIM-Liste." should rather be "Das Folgende ist eine zulässige WOIM-Liste.

In the sentence "Sollten Gebäude für uns wichtig werden, um Himmels willen, würden dann einige von Euch
    revolutionären Naturen bitte das zentrale Hauptquartier in die Luft sprengen." it should rather be "geborenen Revolutionären" instead of "revolutionären Naturen".

In the sentence "Die Konzentration auf "reine Spenden" (ohne Gegenleistung) entzieht den nicht-angestellten Scientologen
    die Ressourcen für den Fortschritt auf der Brücke." you should explain what "the bridge" is in a little side note, because without knowing what it is, the sentence makes nearly no sense.

Also, I think I've found a better word for "Kommandoabsicht". I propose "Befehlstreue".

"Invalidierung" I would translate with "Heruntermachen".

In the sentence "Doch dies ist nur ein Bruchteil des Zwangs und der Gewalt, die regelmäßig in der Sea Org stattfinden - und je höher man kommt, ummso mehr Zwang." I would change the last bit into something like this: "... und je höher man kommt, umso mehr Zwang findet man vor."

In the sentence "Die Church belästigt ihre ehemaligen Mitglieder, das neueste Beispiel besteht im Verwenden vertraulicher Daten aus den Ethikakten, um vier Aussteiger öffentlich zu belästigen {6}. " I would replace "das neueste Beispiel" with "das jüngste Beispiel".

The sentence ""Invalidierung: Ich habe gesehen, wie Management der Church nicht-angestellte Scientologen
    invalidieren und sie in einer herablassenden Weise behandeln, nur weil sie nicht Angestellte der Church sind." I would rephrase like that: "Erniedrigung: Ich habe gesehen, wie Management der Church nicht-angestellte Scientologen
    erniedrigen und sie in einer herablassenden Weise behandeln, nur weil sie nicht Angestellte der Church sind."

The sentence "Lügen Sie niemals in PR." I would reword like that: "Lügen haben im PR nichts verloren."

The sentence "Es ist leicht zu widerlgen und erzeugt daher einen Realitätsfehler mit der allgemeinen Öffentlichkeit..." I would rephrase like that: "Es ist leicht zu widerlegen und erscheint der allgemeinen Öffentlichkeit gegenüber deshalb als realitätsfern..."

In 2.1 it's 2000er, not "200er". :p

In the sentence "Es ist möglich, dies mit dem obigen Punkt #1 in Korrelation zu setzen und anzunehmen, dass die Strategien aufgrund falscher Absichten von seiten das höchsten Managements versagen." it's "des höchsten Managements..."

In the sentence "Die Praxis der Konzentration auf materielle Güter sollte ein Ende bereitet werden." "Die Praxis" is wrong in this case, it should be "Der Praxis".

I would rephrase the sentence "Es sollte da ein "Freiheitsprojekt" gestartet werden, wo die Absicht besteht, die Tech selbst
    allen kostenlos zur Verfügung zu stellen." like that: "Es sollte ein "Projekt Freiheit" gestartet werden, dessen Absicht darin besteht, die Tech selbst
    allen kostenlos zur Verfügung zu stellen."

The sentence "Bewerten Sie sich selbst oder die eigene Gruppe, Projekt oder Organisation ein bezogen auf Absicht
    und Ziele." I would reword like this: "Beurteilen Sie sich selbst oder die eigene Gruppe, Projekt oder Organisation bezogen auf Absicht und Ziele."

The sentence ""Tatsache ist, je höher man auf der Brücke kommt, desto mehr Unterdrückung der Willensfreiheit." should be rephrased like that: "Tatsache ist, je höher man diese Brücke hinaufsteigt, desto mehr Unterdrückung der Willensfreiheit findet man vor."

In the sentence "Ich bin ein starker Bewunderer der Werke von L. Ron Hubbard..." it should rather be "Ich bin ein großer Bewunderer der Werke von L. Ron Hubbard..."

And lastly, in the sentence "Der Zweck besteht darin, die Technologie in Anwendung zu bringen, einen geklärten Planeten zu erreichen und nicht darin, auf die kurzfristige Einkommenslang zu schielen." I propose "gesäuberten Planeten".

That's all. I hope I could help you atleast a tiny bit. I'll say it once again, you did impressive work with this translation. Kudos to you!
  3. indeedindeed Member

Thanks a lot, I've implemented most of your proposals. Those which I didn't implement are mostly those that contain Scientology lingo. I don't think it's a bad idea if it sounds strange to non-Scientologists so they don't get the idea they would understand the loaded language. The only wording I've changed with regards to Scientology lingo was "erscheint als realitätsfern" for out-reality. For the rest I prefer the current versions exactoly because they sound strange and don't think they should be replaced unless we know what their equivalent in german scientologeese is. In the rest of this post I'll quote the proposals which I dind't implement and an explanation why not.

I'm not sure whether this is a correct translation or not. If it is, it's certainly better.

In the original it says "sorting out", that's why I would like to keep "meinen Umgang mit" or something similar in the translation.

I think the audience of this text knows about what the bridge is. For those that don't an additional introductory text is necessary anyway.

It may be better, but I'm not sure whether it shifts the meaning of the word too much. AFAIK, command intention is somehow related to the concept of "Tone 40", which suggests emphasis on the speaker, not the receiver. On the other hand "command intention" has apparently been used as another way of saying "Miscavige wants it done" again emphasizing the top of the chain and not the receiver of an order.

That's what it may mean in this context, on the other hand "invalidate" is the opposite of "validate" and I think there are also connections to principles of auditing such as "never invalidate the pre-clear", even if validate may have a more general meaning. Again, I prefer a stranger term so people pause for a second and realize that it's indeed a different perspective on the world, which is implied by using these terms. It would of course be optimal if we knew what the german scientologic terms are.

As with all the scientologic terms, adding a small paragraph explaining the lingo is always an option if you prepare the text for non-scientologist consumption. Such as:
    I tried to stay as close as possible to the original and in the original LRH speaks directly to the reader and doesn't just make a statement on PR. I agree the new proposal sounds more natural though, but given the target audience it may be a very important factor that LRH talks to them directly, psychologically speaking.

done, except "findet statt" instead of "findet man vor"

Didn't do that due to Scientology lingo. I think the german scientologeese word for "cleared" is "geklärt" and not "gesäubert".
  4. austrianon Member

After you've explained me now why you used certain terms that may seem a bit odd at first sight, I've re-read the text and I agree with you that you shouldn't change those.

However, I'm flattered that you implemented some of my ideas. Glad I could help you a little bit. :)

I'm new here and happy to be able to contribute to this community! Looking forward to future cooperation.
  5. Anonymous Member

Yes, the translation is of high quality.

I was also going to fix errors and make my own proposal. I'll see whether I can post this in the next few days.

One point that I don't like is that many scilon words have been translated incorrectly like "nicht-angestellter Scientologe", you just say "public" in German just as you do in English. The other way round, "church" is used when really in German you say "Kirche".
  6. Anonymous Member

Ich habe den kompletten Text mal überarbeitet. Dies ist auch nur eine vorläufige Fassung, er benutzt jedoch viel mehr Scientolingo. Ebenso sind einige Übersetzungsfehler bereinigt und ein paar Stellen an denen es etwas hakt ausgebügelt. Formatierung habe ich jetzt mal nicht beachtet, das gibts für die endgültige Fassung.

7. AnonyMary Member

kudos_full.jpg
  8. Anonymous Member

Ich habe noch ein paar Rechtschreibfehler bereinigt. Hier die neueste Fassung: