Customize

fun quote on "collective behavior" from old sociology book

Discussion in 'Resources' started by Jeff Jacobsen, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Jeff Jacobsen Member

Until the advent of the field of 'collective behavior' in sociology a few decades ago, spontaneous social phenomena have not been generally classed as deserving serious attention, but rather as curiosities or monstrosities in an otherwise rational world. And in the beginning, the formal study of collective behavior continued prescientific traditions. The attention focused on groups which could be viewed as social aberrations - as extensions of parallels of individual mental disease. Even today, when social scientists speak of 'collective behavior,' they often refer to negatively valued group phenomena, such as panics, mobs, riots, hysterias, and fads. Our field of inquiry, however, is no longer restricted to transitory events of an exotic spectacular nature of which we disapprove. [p. 4]

from The Social Psychology of Social Movements, by Hans Toch, Bobbs-Merrill Company, Inc. 1965
  2. Anonymous Member

Ok......and?
    what is their specific "field of inquiry", then....
    did they decide that they actually Approve of it because it made them lulz?
  3. Anonymous Member

OH! interesting. i did not see the date.
    so, this was written in 1965?
  4. Jeff Jacobsen Member

yes the publication date is 1965.

The book is an attempt to explain why people join and stay in social movements. It's long-winded but interesting. And some of it is applicable to cults, and Glenn Beck viewers.
  5. Anonymous Member

that's interesting, jeff.

makes me think of the classic book called, "The true Believer" by Eric Hoffer, which i should read again along with 1984...
  6. Anonymous Member

i happened to go by the site run by Rick Ross, recently, and it was a breath of fresh air to see the interesting discussions of cult / guru dynamics as well as mob psychology. The Cult Education Forum, to be specific. discussing "cults", "sects" and new religious movements....