Customize

French trial: the media

Discussion in 'Media' started by Olrik, May 25, 2009.

1. Skeptic1337 Member

Re: French trial: the media

Ouch!

Don't they know we live in the internet age. That's an eternity.
  2. Anonymous Member

It's also long enough for the Scilons on trial to gtfo the country to avoid going to prison.
  3. Skeptic1337 Member

Suspended sentences. They aint going to prison either way.
  4. Ann O'Nymous Member

That is the prosecutor request, They might be sent to jail.
  5. Olrik Member

French justice is extremely poor and old fashioned.
    I think it's the same in most countries.
  6. Ann O'Nymous Member

I rather prefer having decisions made by humans.
  7. JMBrandon Member

If they bailed out, I think it would be easy to say Scientology would crumble to nothingness in France.
    It would also show the cowardice and what kind of "religious conviction" these people have and make the other investigations in other countries much more.... interesting... :3
    If they have the nerve to get out of Dodge, I say hold the door open for them if it didn't mean aiding a criminal~ just makes the jobs of anti-scientology groups much easier.
  8. Skeptic1337 Member

Ummm ok?

Not sure what a statement about time has to do with decisions made by humans but sure I agree.
  9. Ann O'Nymous Member

Justice is not algorithmic.
  10. AnonLover Member

11. Skeptic1337 Member

12. Anonynamefag Member

Fear the Frenchies.
  13. AnonLover Member

14. Ann O'Nymous Member

15. Skeptic1337 Member

Surrender monkey.

edit: I just love this thread. It should always be top of page top of threads with like a 1000 posts an hour.
  16. Ann O'Nymous Member

Yes, France is this stupid country which was not even able to control a third world country like Vietnam. Oh wait...
  17. Skeptic1337 Member

We'll take this to the dome, you appologist, surrended monkey fan. While this trial is pure awesome. The history of the french...not so much!
  18. Anonymous Member

Napoleon_Bonaparte.jpeg
  19. basil Member

... even he was taller than Miscavige.
  20. AnonLover Member

21. Ann O'Nymous Member

Just one time, I would be happy to hear something substantive about it.
  22. Anonymous Member

Way to go, France! Party like it's 1815!
  23. Anonymous Member

There's room for only one dictator midget in France.
  24. doz3r Member

French Prosecutor Want Scientology Dissolved.

This just in.

A FRENCH prosecutor has recommended a Paris court should dissolve the Church of Scientology's French branch when it rules on charges of fraud against the organisation.

Registered as a religion in the United States, with celebrity members such as actors Tom Cruise and John Travolta, Scientology enjoys no such legal protection in France, where it has faced repeated accusations of being a money-making cult.

The Church's Paris headquarters and bookshop are defendants in a fraud trial that began on May 25. Summing up her views on the case, state prosecutor Maud Coujard urged the court to return a guilty verdict and dissolve the organisation in France.

The Church of Scientology denies the fraud charges and says the case against it violates freedom of religion.

A ruling is expected within months.

French state prosecutors had previously resisted the idea of an outright dissolution of Scientology in the country.

French prosecutor seeks dissolution of Scientology | Breaking News | News.com.au
  25. Re: French Prosecutor Want Scientology Dissolved.

26. Anonynamefag Member

Re: French Prosecutor Want Scientology Dissolved.

I wonder how long before the prosecutor gets Fair Gamed.
  27. Ann O'Nymous Member

Unlikely: she did her job. Fair gaming her now would be useless.
  28. Anonymous Member

hurray but the church even if it loses will appeal all the way up to the euro court of human rights which they have done before
    but hurray a national government calling for the church to be dissolved
    on raids we use this on flyers troll the scilons with it its fucking great anti church pr
  29. Ann O'Nymous Member

Learn to difference between executive and judicial powers.
  30. mnql1 Member

According to a book which contains extensive excerpts from the 1996 Lyon trial, the hearings were actually broadcast live on the internet by Infonie, an ISP which no longer exists.

The book is entitled Le procès de l'Église de scientologie ("The Trial of the COS"), 235 pages, published by Albin Michel in 1997. The author is listed as Anonyme, but it was edited by Catherine Erhel and Renaud de la Baume. The Lyon trial lasted seven days from Sept. 30 to Oct. 8, 1996 and the judgment was published on Nov. 22, 1996.

Here are four brief quotations from the summations delivered in court on Oct. 7, 1996 by the prosecutor and the lawyers for the civil parties.

31. existentnon Member

a lady at esmb in australia says her friend told her that the french language media says that the cult lost.

anyone got anything more than that?
  32. Anonynamefag Member

By saying that, they might have meant something similar to "Scientology is fucked."
  33. TypingChimp Member

Fix'd.
  34. Skeptic1337 Member

Seriously...I wasn't trolling this thread. Real info on an epic trial is good enough.

Quit being asshats.
  35. TypingChimp Member

But it's fun. Also, every time I post, I get to see Tim Curry in drag. I won't be drinking anything for a while, because once I read a $cilon said that bit about radiation in court... Sorry. I'm about to rupture my spleen. You're right. The real info is good enough, and the epicness of the clam's failure is too great for me to fully comprehend.
  36. Shinythings Member

So now what french hero will Tom Cruise choose for his next fiasco?

Or will he go "Ya know, I would have loved to kill Napoleon"?
  37. Shinythings Member

Disregard
  38. Anonymous Member

The prosecution demands the dissolution of structures of Scientology
    NOUVELOBS.COM | 15.06.2009 | 19:22
    Comment on Article 15 reactions
    The two prosecutors also called for judges to order the Spiritual Association of the Church of Scientology and its library to each pay a fine of 2 million.

The cross of the Church of Scientology (AP)
    The dissolution of the two main structures of the French Church of Scientology has been requested by the prosecution on Monday 15 June The Church sued the Correctional Court of Paris for organised fraud.

Fraud gang

The two public prosecutors, Maud Morel-Coujard and Nicolas Baïeto have also asked the judges of the 12th Board of the Association spiritual order of the Church of Scientology - Celebrity Center (ASES-CC) - and its library (SEL ) to pay each a fine of 2 million.
    In addition, 150,000 euros fine, four-year suspended sentence and five years deprivation of civil and civic rights have been requested against the head of the spiritual Celebrity Center, Alain Rosenberg. The prosecution also requested the prison sentences and fines against five other Scientologist defendants.

Abused

The case dates back to the late 1990s. Four former members had complained, saying he was abused, some even ruined, by the Church of Scientology. Since then, two of them have abandoned their work.
    The Correctional Court of Paris on Tuesday and Wednesday will hear arguments from the defense prior to his decision under advisement to several weeks.
    (Nouvelobs.com)

The prosecution demands the dissolution of the French Scientology

From Dorothy MOISAN - 9 hours ago

PARIS (AFP) - The prosecution caused surprise on Monday by requesting the dissolution of the two main structures of the French Church of Scientology, three years after he requested a dismissal of those involved in this case of organised fraud.

The two public prosecutors, Maud Morel-Coujard and Nicolas Baïeto, also called upon the Correctional Court of Paris to require the Spiritual Association of the Church of Scientology - Celebrity Center (ASES-CC) and its bookstore to pay each a fine of 2 million.

In addition, a four-year suspended sentence, fined 150,000 euros and five years deprivation of civil and civic rights have been requested against the founder of the Celebrity Center and symbol of French Scientology, Alain Rosenberg.

"For the last three weeks now we have heard that happiness has no price, but if happiness has no price, it had a considerable cost", Mrs. Morel-Coujard had earlier joked to open this two-person indictment.

"A whole series of fraudulent schemes were used in the search for new followers," continued the attorney for the plaintiffs who have been "victims of a conscious and planned fraud by successive fraudulent acts".

"This is heresy in an indictment, a veritable inquisition", responded in the evening, Agnes Bron, spokesman of the Church of Scientology.

"This climate of discrimination is caused by well-known pressure groups and anti-religious extremists," she added, mentioning two organizations fighting against sectarianism, the Union nationale of associations of defense of families and the individual (UNADFI) and MIVILUDES, in a written statement sent to AFP.

The case dates back to the late 1990s. Four former members had complained then, that they had been been cheated or even ruined by the Church of Scientology. Some had spent up to 325,000 francs for Dianetics courses, an electrometer and a cure of purification. Since then, two of them have abandoned their work.

While in September 2006, the prosecution had found that the defendants had been "driven only by their religious belief" and had taken "no personal benefit," he drew a vitriolic portrait on Monday of the "Scientologist method, springing fully armed from the brain of a writer of science fiction in 50s California."

Mrs. Morel-Coujard particularly stigmatized personality testing, true "tools of canvassing." The prosecutor then reviewed the electrometer, "(...) a decoy intended to impress and mislead."

Finally, she expressed regret that the defendants, rather than justifying themselves, hide behind a "true religious shield", an attitude that had earlier been denounced by the victims' counsel, Olivier Morice.

She concluded her closing arguments by requesting three-year suspended sentence and 50,000 euro fine against the "librarian", Didier Michaux, three-year suspended sentence and 25,000 euro against the advisor-counselor Jean-François Valli and two-year suspended sentence and 10,000 euro against the former president of the Celebrity Center, Sabine Jacquart.

She also asked for a sentence of deprivation of civil rights.

Finally, a fine of 2,000 euros was asked for illegal practice of pharmacy against those responsible for purification treatments, Aline Fabre and Marie-Anne Pasturel, who imported from the Netherlands the vitamins prescribed for followers.

Copyright © 2009 AFP. All rights reserved. More »

tl/dr; The public prosecutor (parquet), which offers advisory sentencing guidelines for a judge to increase or decrease as they see fit, has come up with some pretty impressive recommendations.
  39. Anonymous Member

Those fuckers got off easy.
  40. anonhuff Member

Nobody knows if that is true subjectively or objectively until the trial is actually over and the judges deliberate and hand back down their verdict.

Personally I'd be quite happy if the judges handed down harsher sentences as well as guilty verdict but that's all I can say now is how I would feel if.