Customize

Freewinds sealed and blue asbestos confirmed

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by Oinkertron9000, Apr 29, 2008.

1. XenuLovesU Member

Re: Freewinds sealed and blue abestos confirmed

Lawrence Woodcraft's Declaration, 2001:

Lawrence Woodcraft Affidavit about Asbestos on the Freewinds - January 24, 2001

Seems to me that charging people buckets of money to sail around for seven years after this declaration came out would show a real lack of due care, no?
  2. anonEmouser Member

Paging Jason Beghe, Jason Beghe, please pick up the white courtesy phone for Graham Berry...
  3. Obi-Wan-anon Member

Forget about clearing the planet - they need to clear the ship!

Women and children first. Then the rats. THEN the Co$...
  4. eksef Member

FAILWINDS
  5. tiggernew Member

Dugg and commented.

I cannot believe this issue has not blown up in the face of Miscavige yet. I say that with a bit of schadenfreude, but also genuine outrage.

HOW can people NOT sue, given that their lives have been foreshortened and endangered KNOWINGLY by the very people who are supposed to care about them, and who forced them aboard that ship by insisting it was required and part of their routine duties as Scientologists? Did RTC really believe that they were expanding so quickly that its own members were just disposable, replaceable, and didn't matter? If nothing else, even if they get "exteriorized" by cancer, it would be 20 years minimum before people could reincarnate and come back!

Oh, I get it, they're insane. Right. Forgot that for a minute.

The complete indifference and outright contempt for parishioners' safety is just staggering. No matter what L. Ron said or didn't say back in the 1950s-1980s, asbestos is a killer, and the leadership of CoS covered it up and dismissed it. It's an outrage.
  6. BigDaddy50cal Member

This story just made my day. Enjoy the cleanup costs DM and Co.

Coming to you live from Bippity Boopy, Teegeeak (Idaho, Planet Earth to the rest of y'all)
  7. Skeptic1337 Member

8. momISanon Member

Seems like OSHA could really hammer them, as well.
  9. deepthot42 Member

"Ohh noes looks like some one sunk the CoS battleship."

Oh Digg...
  10. Theta Omega Member

Nah. Asbestos doesn't burn. OH SNAP.
  11. MollyBloom Member

OSHA only works within a limited area near the coasts, Freewinds has been out of their jurisdiction. I asked a friend who works for OSHA about this awhile back.

He said it would have to be handled by an International committee or by a government committee where the ship normally docks. :shrug:
  12. Re: Freewinds sealed and blue abestos confirmed

While the sailors on the Freewinds have lungs full of asbestos, the Pirates of Chanology have bellies full of cake. Join the Sea Argh today! :D
  13. anon1957 Member

This IS out of OSHA's hands.

There are 2 routes to go: a large class action lawsuit.

And/or a federal criminal conspiracy / willful endangerment type charge against DM & other high management, particularly in light of the Lawrence Woodcraft declaration over 10 years ago. Sucking US citizens onto a poisonous vat is not kosher.

Senator Charles Grassley is interested in religions that defraud their members while the "ministers" live high on the hog. He is in charge of the Senate Finance committee. Might be a good time to give his office a call and to drop him a line or two. Just a heads up kind of thing. contadt info: United States Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa
  14. XenuLovesU Member

Poked around a little bit. Methinks the paper this story appeared in was The Herald, published out of St. Maarten. Sent the editor the Woodcraft declaration and a little background. Maybe they'd like to continue down the rabbit hole :)

Any dutchfags want to call their editor?

St. Maarten News - The Daily Herald Newspaper Online | St. Maarten-St. Martin | West Indies - Caribbean News

The Daily Herald
    Bush Road 22,
    P.O.Box 828,
    Philipsburg,
    Sint Maarten,
    Netherlands Antilles

Telephone:
    +599-54-25253
    +599-54-25597
    +599-54-20931
    +599-54-37236

Telefax:
    +599-54-25913

E-mail:
    advertising editorial webmaster all emails are @thedailyherald.com
  15. ElRondo Member

All aboard the SS Tumor!

So... any evidence to the cancer stories that I've been hearing about for some months?
  16. aluminumcanoe Member

Here's an actual article online... I think. Some of the words look familiar-ish. I'm assuming this is Dutch, but I am not good with language.

http://laprensacur.com/content/node/16465
  17. Optimisticate Member

I think it would be a very just thing to have Mr. Miscavige spend the rest of his life on the Freewinds, floating around on his cancerous hull of asbestos.
  18. anonoblong Member

in before failboat pics
  19. subgenius Member

Yes. Go see a lawyer.
    One with experience in asbestos litigation. Let him/her answer your questions.
  20. ThetanCluster Member

I'll bet DM has Nancy Cartwright's phone ringing off the hook.

It'll be interesting to see how they pin this one on the Psychs.
  21. rof Member

It's in Papiamentu.
  22. xenubarb Member

According to Lawrence Woodcraft's affidavit, when he was redesigning that old ship, blue asbestos came spilling out of the bulkheads in the engine room. As a trained architect, he knew what it was, and reported it to a meeting of high level Scientologists, including Bitty Miscavige, who was in charge of the project.

They went to the Hubbard books. He said nothing about asbestos, but they found a passage where he claimed fiberglass was dangerous, so they removed all the fiberglass insulation.
    They did not touch the asbestos.

I swear, this year just keeps on getting better!
  23. orly Member

Would it be possible to very, very nicely request that the newspaper that published it please do us a great, huge, monumental favor and make the article available online for free, so that we could send it to everyone we know? A scan is great, but something online where it can be picked up by the other media outlets would be even better.

Of course, being totally on the ball, Glosslip's already got a report about it up! 45 minutes ago posted, 5th in a search for "asbestos" on Google news. Thanks, Dawn!
  24. aluminumcanoe Member

Ah. Well, I was nearly 20% right, anyway. So it looks like Daily Herald did an AP-style pull of the article from the local paper, translated it into English, but didn't put it on their own online sit?
  25. pooks Member

While I'm celebrating that the Freewinds has
    been sealed and shut down and that DM is probably
    ready to slice his wrists, I also am pissed off and
    scared because my husband and I were on the
    Freewinds for a week and we were exposed
    to that shit.

Any lawyers want to go after them, I'll be happy
    to sign up.

I hope anon has some good literature and signs
    about this for the next protest.

Patty
  26. DontMindMe Member

But not b4 that meme was invoked. Partial credit.

Also: I think OT VIII is a pretty cool guy. Eh causes cancer and doesn't afraid of anything.
  27. Consensus Member

Can someone get me a source citation for the article? I'm penning a draft of a press release, and I want it to have as much information as possible - to make it easier for press that might want to cover this story. I want to know where to direct them to find confirmation.

edit: For that matter, and I'm digging myself but asking might be simpler, what country and city is it in dry dock in, and under what authority was it sealed?
  28. Re: Freewinds sealed and blue abestos confirmed

NM
  29. MollyBloom Member

Asbestos Exposure, Mesothelioma, and Other Asbestos Disease Problems
    Mesothelioma And Asbestos Information And Lawyers In Connecticut -- Lawcore.com

Have them read this:
    Lawrence Woodcraft Affidavit about Asbestos on the Freewinds - January 24, 2001
  30. A.Non Hubbard Member

31. rof Member

I do not see a story on dailyherald but they may just have not gotten it up yet. They are in St. Maarten, not one of the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao) where Freewinds is often found. St.M is Dutch but they do not speak Papiamento and I suspect that might be a hard one to find in our translation forum. Though a giant flashing PAPIAMENTOFAG title would be appropriate if we do have one lurking.

A quick parse suggests the laprensacur story is totally different. DH will web theirs soon I bet.
  32. Pelvidar Member

So this means the Sea Arrrgh won, and we never even had to leave port? HAR HAR HAR HAR!!!
  33. cannedonymous Member

This sounds like the same Freewinds to me. Looks like they've been doing some training with the Dept. of Maritime affairs down there... wonder how they feel about these revelations??
    SKNVibes.com News: Local Sailors Receive Safety Training Certificates

BASSETERRE, St. Kitts- Twenty-one local seafarers recently received international certification in basic safety training in fire fighting and fire prevention, survival at sea, elementary first aid and personal safety and social responsibility.

The local Department of Maritime Affairs collaborated with the MV Freewinds late last year to deliver the necessary training and all 21 of the sailors from the Federation passed the course.

The local sailors completed their training in December but did not receive the actual certificates until last week.

According to Director of Maritime Affairs in St. Kitts McClean Hobson, the training promotes competency in the maritime field which in turn leads to a safer marine environment for trade.

He also divulged that the deadline for receiving the safety training certification was July 2002, but extenuating circumstances prevented some of the local seafarers from travelling abroad for training.

“I extend heartfelt thanks to Captain Mike Napier and the crew of the MV Freewinds for assisting us here in St. Kitts.

They made it possible for those sailors who could travel to the UK, US or Jamaica to receive their training at home and I think we have forged a lifelong partnership that will prove beneficial to both sides,” Hobson said.

He added that spirits were high during training and the sailors showed much enthusiasm throughout the course.

Immediately following the training, the MV Freewinds left the Federation for dry dock in Curacao but will return to St. Kitts in June for the commencement of the second phase of the training.
  34. Lrononymous Member

For the first time in my life I am looking forward to seeing daytime commercials from ambulance chasers inviting people to sue. This is huge.
    I feel sorry for those who have suffered or were exposed but at least now, no more people will be lied to and harmed.

Poor hubbard. No more play boat.

Also, arent employers supposed to provide safety instruction for hazardous materials that are found in the workplace? Can the Sea Org slaves that were on the free winds be considered employees? Can this type of negligence be added on top of the list of selfish stupidity the cult is responsible for?
  35. A.Non Hubbard Member

The newspaper is The Daily Herald in St. Maartens. On the island of Curaçao (cure-ass-oh), part of the Netherland Antilles, and the city is Willemstad. Not sure about who has the ultimate authority, but two different government ministries were involved. You can contact the government here, but they may speak only moonspeak.
  36. Re: Freewinds sealed and blue abestos confirmed

If you or a loved one have been diagnosed with Misothelioma or other asbestos related disease due to your time on the Freewinds because of your training in Scientology, you may be entitled to cash. Call the law offices of JAMES SOKOLOV 1-800-4MUDKIP.

this advertisment is for parody purposes only and has no affiliation with scientology, misothelioma, james sokolov, law in general, but it really does liek mudkipz.
  37. exOT8Michael Member

OMG Davy's Navy has run dry!!

Zero ships, and nowhere for him to run away into international waters. The IAS is also now on land and so can be vulnerable for the crimes it has committed internationally.

So does anyone know where DM is staying these days?
    If we knew then maybe a protest outside his residence could be in order. or something? Why should he be immune from protests when he leaves all other staff to face them?

2 cents.