Customize

Freedom Mag DA videos/articles on Paul Haggis, New Yorker

Discussion in 'Media' started by tikk, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Anonymous Member

2. Anonymous Member

So now:

1) any scientologist who doesn't read the New Yorker - which is presumably almost all of them - knows about the massive, thorough takedown therein,

2) the media - and the New Yorker itself if it feels like it - get to report the massive, thorough takedown AGAIN.

Excuse me if I'm stating the obvious, I just can't believe how stupid this is. Although given that this type of thing is what they always do, I don't know why I'm surprised...
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DeathHamster Member

Being surprised at CoS for doing the obviously stupid is like being surprised that one of those drinking birds keeps bobbing along.

• Like Like x 3
  4. xenulondon Member

Dude, on Failbook, the clams share links to the main freedumb website, not the org.uk version. Well spotted, but i think the org.uk version is irrelevant.
  5. the anti Member

as i have said a number of times before, scientology uses the word freedom so much you would think you were listening to a dragonforce song
  6. Yes, along with words such as:

Honesty, ethics, truth, technology, spiritual, religious, integrity, power, communication, reality

Well, you get the idea. After a while it gets to be a bit annoying reading or hearing a Scientologist use such words possibly because it just comes off as so much "noise".
  7. LocalSP Member

It's like someone using the word classy. Usually they are anything but.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Anonymous Member

It's there.
  9. Anonymous Member

BTW when you are looking at the comments, Jeff "Smado"="Smashing Documentations". Sma Do.
  10. Anonymous Member

No it isn't, as one reader points out in the comments....
    which explains why....
    They can't sue because nothing is wrong with the New Yorker article. Even if there was, the cult hasn't sued news media in donkey's years. Even their baawing threats are increasingly weak and feeble thesedays.
    • Like Like x 6
  11. Sponge Member

^oops. Anon post was mine.

Adding....
    The last legal threat which was followed through and worked (in settlement) was Katie holmes against Star magazine for their OTT cover. That wasn't strictly the church of scientology though. The story itself inside the mag wasn't really addressed.

Some other threats to publishers and TV stations have worked, halting some and delaying other articles/programmes. Not through actual injuncton but just out of media lawyers fear and over-protection of their client's bottom line.
    Generally the mainstream media is more careful but the celeb and small media, without a resident attorney in the office down the corridor, rarely give a toss. Look at the Village Voice for example. For years Tony Ortega has been ripping into the cult far more than much of the mainstream media. I think when the journalist acquires a certain level of knowledge and understanding about the cult and its ways, far greater than any twitchy media lawyer would ever look into, then the cult backs off because it knows it would suffer far more embarassment from bringing a flimsy lawsuit (or even a threat of one) even though it can well afford it.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. DeathHamster Member

Hollywood Reporter also doesn't mention that CoS lost their lawsuit against Time Magazine. (It was the cost of defending that suit that was a chilling effect for years.)

Look at all the books that have come out in the last few years, and the one single lawsuit is in Italy. (And they've dropped the nuns from the suit.) Previously, every book about Scientology generated a lawsuit in every country where it was going to be published.

CoS is just about toothless now.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Anonymous Member

14. Anonymous Member

I've been wondering about this retreat from the lawsuits LRH ordered, Miscavige has become an SP.
  15. Sponge Member

But they can still give you a nasty suck.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. DeathHamster Member

True. They're really good at sucking!
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Xenu Is Lord Member

Epic!
  18. Triumph Member

• Like Like x 5
  19. Anonymous Member

As much as Time magazines cost of defending itself provided a chilling effect, at least temporarily, the costs of pressing that suit and coming away the loser put a real dent in the cults "war chest". Even during a period where they had the extra cash to toss around, they could ill afford to try following up with any similar stunts and essentially relied on that "chilling effect" as a bluff.

Considering todays cash flow situation, sternly worded letters seems to be the preferred approach.
  20. Rockyj Member

21. Squirrel King Member

I love these. Every time an OSA... I mean curious objective onlooker brings up the argument, "There is no Fair Game" I can post another link.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. moarxenu Member

HuffPo has 251 comments and 34 pending. Doesn't look like many anons posted, which is good. It means a whole lotta people are pissed at the cult.
  23. Huff comment QFT:

• Like Like x 9
  24. Anonymous Member

Funny NY Times excerpt:
    When asked about the publication, one of the women distributing it in front of the Condé Nast building on 42nd Street seemed unsure of its contents.
    “I think it’s supposed to be The New Yorker,” the middle-aged woman said, pointing to the cover illustration. When asked whether Freedom was published by the Church of Scientology, she claimed not to know. When it was pointed out to her that she was standing outside The New Yorker’s offices, she said, “Oh, that must be why we’re here.”
    http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.c...gy-strikes-back-at-the-new-yorker/#more-70829
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Anonymous Member

QFT, indeed.

TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...
    • Like Like x 2
  26. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 7
  27. Random guy Member

Good grief! This week have been like Christmas and Easter at the same time!
  28. Anonymous Member

I can't help but think this would be confusing for Jesus.
    • Like Like x 10
  29. Anonymous Member

And their lawsuit against Time magazine is what led to the Fishman affidavit spilling the OT levels all over the Internet, and starting the OG war against Scientology on the Internet back in 1995. That war ensured that latent hostility against Scientology was already ready tinder so that when they tried to stamp out the equally embarrassing Tom Cruise video, Anonymous delivered.

There has been a continuity of Internet people attacking this cult, including those of us who were attacking it at a time that we considered the whole idea of the WWW an enormous waste of bandwidth.
    • Like Like x 3
  30. Anonymous Member

Human rights advocates the Church of Scientology refuse to answer questions regarding the long-term imprisonment of Heber Jentzch, Jenstch, Jenztch, however the fuck it is spelled.

Heber was once the main spokesman for the cult, before the hilarious Tommy Davis took over.

David Miscavige is too scared to appear in public unless surrounded by elderly OSA flunkies and paid actors.

Dauntless, defiant and resolute? Not in David Miscavige's case,
  31. RightOn Member

ok I just listened to the DVDs
    And it made me SO very happy!
    Thanks COS!
    You had your members pay for this fail which will help with the demise of their own "church", and then you had the good grace to hand it out to the general public and the media on a silver platter.
    MWA! Mad love going out to yah.

And aaaaaawwwwwww Scientology does love Anonymous!
    Why else would they make the job of ending the cult of Scientology that much easier?
  32. Even Scientologists can not be retarded enough to think this magazine was a good idea, there has to be more at play here, someone should test their water supply for heavy concentrations of lead.
    • Like Like x 2
  33. Anonymous Member

They are brave Scientologists exposing criminals. (per LRH anyone who criticizes Scientology is a criminal)
  34. Sponge Member

FIFY
    • Like Like x 1
  35. Sponge Member

• Like Like x 17
  36. Orson Member

Fort Wayne, Indiana, has been informed of the shenanigans.

Seriously, Scientology, seriously? Fort-fucking-Wayne-Indiana is laughing at you. Y u make it so easy for us? Put up a fight you assholes.

Oh, Davey.
    • Like Like x 6
  37. Anonymous Member

www.kathyhaggis.com

wow, wonder how much of that was written by OSA.

comments are open on a few postings. poons, stat
    • Like Like x 1
  38. AnonLover Member

^^Looks like a scilon link, suggest proxy up
  39. Anonymous is starting to look a little redundant at this point, when Scientology is so good at fucking things up for itself.
  40. Anonymous Member

I agree, my job is done here. But it's oh so fucking awesome staying around to reflect on what I have helped catalyze.
    • Like Like x 2