Customize

Free Speech on Campus

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Anonymous Member

That sentence makes me sad.

A free speech zone on a college campus is a travesty. I don't want COS proselytizing any more than you do, but this is a far greater evil than scientology can be. Limiting speech on a state owned college campus is to see the reality of government. It is afraid of speech at a place of higher learning. The irony is rich.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Anonymous Member

No it's not. It's a good balance between the right of free speech and the right of students to walk to and from class unmolested. I used to live near a campus. I would go to the campus for my daily exercise because I couldn't walk on the streets around the campus without being constantly molested by aggressive panhandlers asking for cigs and money, mentally ill and drunk folk making random observations about and to me. If I was a young girl walking alone to and from class, that kind of free speech would be very intimidating.

There was a public park near me that I wouldn't get near. It was full of drunk folk sleeping it off, druggies making deals, homeless people making tents with their carts (some of these folks pushed around TWO carts full of scavenged stuff) and the associated trash that accumulated with all this stuff. It was a public park, but I, as a woman alone, didn't feel comfortable walking through it.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Anonymous Member

Most campuses have this. It prevent groups from taking over campuses with political agendas and nutjobs from harassing student. Student are still able to speak freely to one another, but any outside, commercial or special interest non campus sanctioned groups must ask for permission to come on campus. I am a free speech advocate and ACLU supporter and do not have a problem with this. You are still free to speak, you just have to follow a few rules.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Anonymous Member

Your arguments seem to be that barbarian hordes would descend on the campus and make learning impossible.
    That is scare mongering of the first order.
    Setting up on a publicly paid for campus and speaking your mind is exactly what free speech is all about. The fact that at least two people here agree that free speech can be restricted by government is far scarier to me than COS.

You scare me if you really mean what you wrote. It sounds like it's straight out of some government guide about what you are allowed to do.

As for the people on campus hawking their scam, then free speech is the answer. Stand out there with your fliers and tell anyone who will listen about the scam that is COS.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. Anonymous Member

The campus has set up areas for people to exercise their free speech rights. I am only seeing attempts at derails here nothing more. Scientology is a sick twisted cult.
    The OP is trying to deal with said Cult, derails are not appreciated.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Anonymous Member

Stay On Target.
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Anonymous Member

I'm glad cultists of all sorts are not allowed access to student between classes. Some are quite intimidating like the christian ministers who tag team each other basically screaming varioations of "Sinner" at young co-eds. We had those at the college I worked at. It was a damn good thing they were restricted to a 'free speech area' designated for non-campus activities.

The students and faculty had far more leeway.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Anonymous Member

First, I am not trying to derail but it no problem you moved it.
    I am serious that using a stupid unconstitutional government method to shut down speech has serious repercussions. A free speech zone is a contradiction in terms.

I am quite certain that the same people who are posting are also dead set against the Free Speech Zones that politicians have been setting up when some VIP is in town.

It is the same issue.

I am all for getting rid of the cult, but not by using un constitutional means, It defeats the purpose of what we are trying to accomplish.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Anonymous Member

http://alumni.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/moon.jpg
    http://alumni.berkeley.edu/news/cal...-december-2007-new-media/the-moon-man-returns

There should not be "1st Amendment " areas on college campuses, free speech is learned.
  10. Anonymous Member

What part of the fact the students and faculty have free speech on campus, basically anywhere they want but people from the outside who are not faculty, staff or students are restricted to certain areas where they do not disrupt the education people are paying a huge amount of money for do you not understand?

If this is a bunch of students who are scientologists, that is another can of worms, but if these are outsiders (most likely) who are encroaching and breaking rules (no matter how unfair any of us thinks they are) then they deserve to get kicked out. Obviously they didn't adhere to the first thing anons are supposed to do when they protest, which is check first and get the rules.
  11. Anonymous Member

It's not scare-mongering. It's my experience. What about my right to walk down the fucking street unmolested for 500 feet?
  12. Anonymous Member

AND THANK YOU mod who created this thread. It deserves a thread of it's own.