Customize

Four Winds Ranch - dumping ground for FAILED scientology kids

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by OTBT, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Shalashar Member

Re: Four Winds Ranch - dumping ground for FAILED scientology kids

I very much doubt there is a connection, as you say, many different flavours of xtianity use this method as an effective means of indoctrination/brainwashing.

Pharyngula recently had an article about one such place for an evangelical sect. Pretty sick shit. The one thing they all have in common is that they cost the parents an absolute packet.

There seems also to be little or no oversight to these things, which is a concern.
  2. Sponge Member

Thanks. I've changed it to include request for info on general history of Larry Masters. I'm not confident of getting much repsonse on there but who knows who else might be lurking?
  3. JMBrandon Member

Let me rephrase what he said for you since it kinda skimmed off your beret.
    Just because somebody has a PhD does not necessarily mean they know ANYTHING about giving physical or mental health advise or treatments.
    It is highly possible someone can be a doctor of Art.
    If there is an 8 year program of it, you can be a doctor in it.
    so yeah, you could be a doctor of Underwater Basket Weaving, but that doesn't mean you can give medical advice.
    If you're a doctor of medical science, THEN you can give medical advice.
  4. DeathHamster Member

Szalavitz, Maia (2007-08-20). "The Cult That Spawned the Tough-Love Teen Industry". Mother Jones.

(Not Scientology, at least not directly...)
  5. OTBT Member

From page 2 of the Four Winds brochure in OP:

ORLY? What are the names and qualifications of this TEAM of Medical Doctors?
  6. Optimisticate Member

Update to my inquiry: There is no "MD" anywhere in Larry Masters resume or title, and no licensing (including PhD and driver license) for him in Texas. His masters degree in hocus pocus doesn't qualify for anything, he would still need to register if he wants to do accupuncture (as per his master's degree). Presenting yourself as some vague PhD with no details as to what the PhD is in (say, maybe, accounting or something), and presenting yourself as being viable as a medical professional can be seen as fraud and prosecuted as such.

Someone in Austin, TX is asking moar info, so a link to the Larry's website and to this thread was provided. If you have info, please to be posting it here.

And to the sweet soul telling me to lurk moar, please stop the foreplay and go screw a lightsocket please.
  7. Anonymous Member

Thanks for the follow up with locals.
  8. auchraw Member

I only saw five kids in photographs somewhere (ITT): three little guys, one larger black guy and a pint-sized blond female. Is this all he has? Is there a Mrs Masters around anywhere? For me this rings all the wrong bells.

How many more dumping grounds for failed children do members of the phony church operate?
  9. Anonymous Member

There's a few of them, some of the names and links are scattered in this thread.
  10. cgallo Member

You can search for the different kinds of social/educational front groups on ScienCorp's Association for Better Living and Education (ABLE) web site:

Global Locator - ABLE International

I didn't easily find the Master operation but it probably is in there somewhere.
  11. Anonymous Member

Not accupunture (needles)

acupressure (touching)

Acupressure.com
  12. Anonymous Member

I went by Four Winds Ranch. Haz pics. Unfortunately nothing could be seen from road.
  13. Anonymous Member

No razor wire or snipers? Kinda disappointing.
  14. Anon Char Member

ASSBURGER RAEG!
  15. Anonymous Member

Well, there was barbed wire, which isn't unusual in rural Texas. I wasn't sure where the exact property line was. I saw a black rural mailbox that said "Master 200 Camp Ridge Road". Wondered why he needed a mailbox at the UPS store in town, since they would deliver to his property. There are a number of Christian youth camps in the area, one almost right next door. Also a few game ranches etc. There was a dirt road going to his property. About fifty yards down the dirt road, there was a sign nailed to a tree that said "Private Road No Outlet". Not sure if he was only property owner on that road, or if it really was private property and I would be trespassing if i proceded, so I left. I couldn't see any buildings.
  16. auchraw Member

Sounds like rural Texas is a dumping ground for failed kids, period.
  17. Anonymous Member

Did the Christian youth camps also have barbed wire?

Is it normal for youth camps in rural Texas to use barbed wire?
  18. Anonymous Member

I am anon who went to Four Winds. I would say it is normal for ALL property in rural Texas to have barbed wire. The main exception would be if there were horses on the property, in which case it would have wire fences without barbs. Typically the fences are about four feet tall with four or five strands of barbed wire strung between posts of either cedar or metal. If the ranches have exotic game, they usually have much higher fences...about eight feet tall, to keep the exotic antelope, etc from jumping the fences. The native white-tail deer can easily jump the four foot tall fences. They are, however, effective in containing cattle.

The normal four foot tall fences wouldn't keep anyone imprisoned on the property. One would have to take some care climbing over, but it is fairly easily done.

As far as the Christian camp having barbed wire, I can't really remember. It had a somewhat fancy entrance with a nice driveway. It wasn't the center of my attention. In an effort to jog my memory, I googled the place and this is the pic on their main page.

[IMG]

Camp of the Hills - News Update - Dining Hall Fire

I didn't see THAT from the road...lol
  19. auchraw Member

So who looks after these children, if not Mrs Masters, if there is such a person? What do their parents pay for? How long do they stay? Some seem very young to be away from home.
  20. amaX Member

Wow. Looks like God's pissed at the Christian camp owners.
  21. LostAngel Member

I went to Larry's House for about 12 months back when he was in Riverside. Larry is one of the nicest guys that I have ever meet. I know that be has been around for years with Scientology and it has worked for him. He does not push Scientology on anybody that was under his care. It was always a choice that the person made or the parent.

Larry understands how valuable the youth of today is and he wants to help. There is not one bad thing that I can say about the guy. I no longer have any association with scn and have stopped talking my parents in an effort to be completely rid of anything scn and while I have not spoken to Larry in years, I know the person that he is and attacking him is misguided anger. He is one of the good ones.

Also, John Travolta did know of Larry as well as Muhamme Ali but Larry did not want the business. As we all know Scientologist attack other Scientologists more then anybody else could and Larry was smart enough to keep the low profile and deal with kids. After all, we are the future of the world.

I can also attest to Larry curing Autism in one case.
  22. Anonymous Member

How did Larry cure Autism?
  23. Anonymous Member

LostAngel:

I am glad you had a good experience with Larry. I am the person who went by his property. I agree some people in this thread have been overreacting a bit (barbed-wire in Texas isn't proof of a prison camp). I have never accused him of anything, but I can understand people's skepticism. Can you verify his claimed educational qualifications? Where did he receive his education? What qualifies him for the work he is doing?
  24. LostAngel Member

By clearing allergies in a form known as NAET. You should read up
    on it if you are curious as to the methods.
  25. LostAngel Member

Yes I can appreciate people skepticism as well. God knows that anything associated to scn is probably more harmful then it is helpful but I knew Larry and can attest to the person that he is.

As I was not there when he got a PhD I can not confirm or deny that status
    but I am struggling to believe that he would make a lie about it and to do so publically is not his nature. I can however attest to the NAET practitioner certificate that he has as I have sighted this.

Hope that helps.
  26. Anonymous Member

NAET

Nambudripad Allergy Elimination Technique - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NAET - Nambudripad's Allergy Elimination Techniques are alternative allergy medications used to reduce or eliminate allergy and disease

Scientology Allergy or Asthma Rundown - HCO Bulletin of 29 August 1985

Code:
    http://www.smi.org/route/page42.htm
  27. Anonymous Member

Ok I tried to find about NAET. Of course all the practicioners pushing those treatments have very positive things to say, and there are a few anecdotal success stories by parents. But there appears to be little to no scientific basis for the claims made by NAET practitioners. All the studies seem to not find much evidence in support of treating autism via dietary methods.

To be perfectly honest, the fact that he is claiming that he can cure autism, when there is so little supporting science makes me more suspicious of him, not less.
  28. LostAngel Member

I'm not saying that NAET is the be all and end of all of the autism cure, I am however stating that I know that there is a kid who had autism and after Larrys care and help he no longer has autism. Whether this is coincidence or a medical breakthrough I can not comment but I know what I witnessed.

P.S. I'm impressed with your research into NAET and I'm glad that you posted the information on here.
  29. JMBrandon Member

LostAngel
    Total Posts

Just sayin'.
  30. LostAngel Member

Can you elaborate on that post? I can throw random bits of information together too
  31. JMBrandon Member

Sorry-
    I've seen kids with autism and I will not buy that clearing up a kid's allergies will solve autism without Ron Jeremy-rock solid scientific proof.
    We're talking about brain development, not itchy eyes or a runny nose.
    Are you saying you think this kid's autism was caused by a dark chi?
    I have to question if the kid even really had autism.
    Do you know what autism is?
    After seeing my friend suffer with the condition her son is in, I can't help but feel irked when such claims are made about magical cures, so forgive me if I come off as a little grumpy.
    I can't tell you what you saw, but I can question if you're sure you know what exactly you saw.
  32. JMBrandon Member

you want some elaberation?
    you've made 4 posts total.
    All on this thread, you have not introduced yourself or why you think critically of scientology.
    you appear to have created an account solely for the purpose to protect this guy.
    You're stance is unclear and your face is new, how can anyone accept what you say at face value when you really havn't given anyone any reason to.
    You could be a shill for all we know.

tl;dr: you're too new for me to take your word for anything, though I will not tell anyone what to think, I'll simply point out that you're new here and could possibly be a troll of some sort.

/derail
  33. Anonymous Member

5of32q.jpg
  34. LostAngel Member

It is my understanding that this is a forum. It's about debate and give and take. Just because I have just created a login doesn't mean that there is no place for lurking etc. Yes I have created an account and have decided to stand up for a guy that I knew and who helped me. It is clear to me that none of you know who he is or anything about him. You know what a brochure says. Nothing else. Hence the questions to me by "anonymous". I'm not asking you to accept a word I say. I just thought I would give insight that just happens to contradicte 10 pages of one opinion on the topic.

Maybe I'm not ready to relive the pain of growing up in scn just yet as it is something that I have worked hard to push down for so long. While I'm not sure of the experiences of anybody on here or the depth of the scn impact, I don't think that you can judge one person because I have not disclosed my story.

As I said, this is a forum. Give and take on opinions.
  35. LostAngel Member

Idea what a moonbat is but each to their own
  36. Anonymous Member

That's the sort of thinking that Big Placebo industry encourages.
  37. subgenius Member

placebo cured my hypochondria
  38. AnonKat Member

HAVING allergies can make you introvert. Just sayin'
  39. mirror neuron Member

Lost Angel, autism is a neurological difference. Some people with autism benefit from various kinds of support. Many have no wish for a "cure" and find the idea insulting. I suggest YOU do some research on validated methods of treatment, and on neurodiversity, before making such a destructive and misleading claim. The autism community is plagued by charlatans who promote treatments with no validation whatsoever. Many families have spent way too much money desperately following up on treatments that have not been validated. Produce the study that replicates these results, or stop promoting them. Give some thought to the effects of your claims on people who already have enough pain in their lives, please. You do autistic people and their families a great disservice by repeating this BS.
  40. mirror neuron Member

To help you re-evaluate, Lost Angel, here are some questions to ask about any alleged "cure" or treatment for autism:

What outcomes does it promise? Be skeptical of ambiguity as it allows promoters to claim credit for any random positive change.

What are the potential physical, emotional, and financial risks to the individual and the family?

How has the method been evaluated? Testimonials by individuals or statements by the manufacturer are not adequate evidence of efficacy.

What proof is available that the method is effective? Proof must include a control group and an experimental group.

What other options would be precluded by the method?

It's understandable that if you had a good experience with this man, you want to defend him. But claims about "curing" autism, even when made sincerely, are potentially harmful to many people. Please think more critically about this.