Customize

For those capable of a single language...

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by indeedindeed, Apr 26, 2008.

1. indeedindeed Member

For those capable of a single language...

...you can still help with the translations: Often there are drafts in the language that the original was translated to. Often there are awkward sentences in these drafts, e.g. some stuff in the Verfassungsschutz-AG excerpts, yet you understand what they are supposed to say. It is always possible to make suggestions how to reformulate it with the same meaning. And if you don't even understand it, it's even more important to bring this to the attention of the translator. This means that all native english speakers can potentially be of help with any texts translated into english while any native speakers of other languages can be of help with the translations into these languages as soon as there are drafts.
    Also with videos often there has to be some sort of transcription work beforehand.
    Another point is subtitles. Once you have a translation of the transcription of a video it's a whole different story to get a translation that's suitable for subtitles and then to technically implement it.
    Sometimes there are also discussions about the different facets of meaning a certain term has in its language or how commonly it is used and what its usage means in the context it is found, so you are very welcome to enter such a discussion, even if it's about a translation into a language you don't understand.
  2. anonym0us Member

Re: For those capable of a single language...

Anyone willing to translate should also just try and check out what's available in their own language, so those translations are verified and any spelling/grammar mistakes are corrected.
  3. Math Member

Agreed, some translations were done by a software and almost every time there's grammar mistakes
  4. Re: For those capable of a single language...

Quoted for irony :)
  5. moarxenu Member

Thanks, indeed for extending this invitation.I'm sort of a semi-glot, I have tenuous mastery in a number of lanugages, but I have done a lot of editing of translations in languages I know. If something strikes me as odd I go and look at the orginal. wordreference is great helpful for French and other languages. Leo is great for German.

btw, does anyone know of a good onlin French Canadian dictionary?
  6. anonym0us Member

Do you mean French - English, or French - French?
  7. Ann O'Nymous Member

My 2 cents about involving more people:
    - Make a call for help in the language sub-forum of the people whose help is required; e.g. if you want native English-speakers to check a translation, it is more likely to be successful in the English sub-forum.
    - I wonder if it is worth trying to get help of non speakers in the subtitling; is the extra work it implies to avoid mistakes worth the effort in the translation phase, e.g. precise timing ?
  8. indeedindeed Member

Thanks a lot for all of your input on this.
    It's true that it is a good idea to ask in those forum sections, where it's more likely that the post reaches the people that it is supposed to reach.

Often I don't know whether a text is understandable at all, especially when translating talkshows, in which there are a lot of "um, you know, see, well", etc or broken sentences or incoherent grammar or semi-idiomatic expressions.

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/44-german/transcription-translation-kerner-show-38959/#post772885

An example:
    I simply don't know whether a quote like this can be understood by readers or by viewers in case of a video. Will they be taken aback by the mention of a "mountain" and have no idea what he is talking about? Or will they understand that he refers to a huge pile of files? Will they know what is meant by "you won't be angry if I say this" or will it sound strange to them? Do they know that "I would say" is pretty much the same as "I guess" or "I would estimate"? For such questions native speakers are invaluable.

Sorry, I don't quite get what situation you are talking about, even if it sounds interesting.
  9. Ann O'Nymous Member

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. Imagine that a non native German-speaker agrees to subtitle a video. The only way to be sure it is done OK is to provide this person with a very detailed translation schedule. A native speaker - or at least somebody with good notions - would more easily know when to put each sentence. Take also into account the control of the final product.
  10. anonym0us Member

LOL

But yeah, if a non-native speaker would subtitle a movie (clip), then the translators should indeed make very detailed timing notations, or it'll become guess work. And I can't see that turn into a succcesful final product.
    I don't have much experience with subtitling, but if anyone who does knows how to make easy notations or something so a subtitler (doesn't matter native or not) could easily add subtitles, that would help, I think.
  11. Namenlos Member

I only speak English (with a little French) but I'm more than willing to help out with this :)
  12. indeedindeed Member

that's great. The current draft -up to a point- of the translation of the Kerner show is in the second post in this thread: http://forums.whyweprotest.net/44-german/transcription-translation-kerner-show-38959/
    Any remarks and corrections are welcome, they can simply be posted in the thread.
    This post is being updated whenever new parts have been translated.

As to subtitling in this case, the original show is on youtube in 9 parts and there are already 30 minutes worth of translated material, so this effort could be started as well, but there are no detailed remarks regarding timing, so probably a native german speaker would have to do this and of course it would be better to have a good translated version as a basis for subtitles, rather than a mediocre or even a bad version, which is another reason that the text should be checked for mistakes or awkward wording.