Customize

Five Years

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Internet, Sep 2, 2016.

1. The Internet Member

Pushing through the market square
    So many mothers sighing
    News had just come over
    We had five years left to cry in
    News guy wept when he told us
    Earth was really dying
    Cried so much his face was wet
    Then I knew he was not lying

I heard telephones, opera house, favourite melodies
    I saw boys, toys, electric irons, and TVs
    My brain hurt like a warehouse
    It had no room to spare
    I had to cram so many things
    To store everything in there

And all the fat-skinny people
    And all the tall-short people
    All the nobody people and all the somebody people
    I never thought I'd need so many people
    A girl my age went off her head
    Hit some tiny children
    If the black hadn't pulled her off
    I think she would have killed them
    A soldier with a broken arm
    Fixed his stare to the wheels of a Cadillac
    A cop knelt and kissed the feet of a priest
    And a queer threw up at the sight of that

I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlor
    Drinking milkshakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
    Don't think you knew you were in this song

And it was cold and it rained so I felt like an actor
    And I thought of Ma and I wanted to get back there
    Your face, your race, the way that you talk
    I kiss you, you're beautiful, I want you to walk

We got five years, stuck on my eyes
    We got five years, what a surprise
    We got five years, my brain hurts a lot
    We got five years, that's all we've got
    • Like Like x 1
  2. The Internet Member

I read this today.
    Seems legit because other scientists have said the same thing.

"Runaway climate change" means the permafrost will melt sending massive amounts of greenhouse gas into the atmosphere. The oceans will acidify. Entire food chains will collapse.

Human beings could stop this crazy train by figuring out how to radically reduce the burning of carbon fuels now. We could do it but we have precious little time for the effort.

This is not like other scares we have seen, like the peak oil thing. This scare is based upon mountains of evidence, enough to convince all the major scientific organizations around the globe.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Mann Ace Member

Bullshit
  4. Mann Ace Member

It's exactly like peak oil. Nonsense dreamed up to scare the children.
  5. The Internet Member

Sadly AGW is not a dream. As the climate models have improved over the past few years the projected outcomes for various rates of CO2 production are looking worse than previously thought.

But electric cars are getting better. They are too expensive in the US but we can make them more cheaply with mass production. China is cranking them out. I could buy an electric bus on Ali-Baba for about 20-40 thousand dollars. But I do not think I could put it on the road here without all the safety testing.

More telecommuting and less driving or flying would help. There are lots of things we could do to save this world before Greenland starts farting out methane.
  6. The Internet Member

This:
    24_co2-graph-021116-768px.jpg

plus this:
    scotty laws of physics.jpg.jpg

equals this:
    graph.png
    • Like Like x 1
  7. The Internet Member

You think the world's leading scientists are fucking with us?
  8. Global warming is totally natural and has occurred in the past so no worries other that the melting of the polar ice and resultant rise in ocean level leading to catastrophic changes in shoreline and extinctions. This too is natural so we shouldn't worry about it.
    So if we can change this even a little by changing energy use should we try? Or should we just accept it as the current catastrophe gets worse?
  9. Srs at this point it's clear there IS global warming so arguments about why are kinda pointless unless it leads to changes in how we do things.
  10. No hotel room needed unless you 2 want a ménage a trois
  11. The Internet Member

You got it, babe. But the melting ice caps and loss of all our cities along the coastline are no big deal compared to the melting permafrost full of ancient rotting organic matter ready to fart out methane and CO2.
  12. The Internet Member

Public education is key. People have to understand that melting the permafrost will lead to runaway warming, which happened on Venus.

I was thinking we would have a couple of decades to fart around and procrastinate doing our homework. But the exam already started. We were supposed to limit further temp increase to no more than 1.5C degrees but we are going to blow past that.

It is good that the US and China have agreed to limit the temp increase to 2C degrees. But that is not as good as 1.5 degrees. The scientists picked 1.5 degrees back when their models were a little more optimistic.

I have ideas of things our congress critters could do to speed up our trip to a low carbon economy. But I am obviously a retard and would want a body of scientists to say yes or no to any idea first. For example China is going gangbusters for electric cars. Let's get those cheap cars over here ASAP.
  13. The Internet Member

One idea, but it seems extreme, would be to put aerosols into the atmosphere to block sunlight hitting the planet. As a bonus, all the people who believe in chemtrails would feel validated.
  14. Disambiguation Global Moderator

15. The Internet Member

Another idea: let's stop shitting on real scientists. Let's stop wasting their time on nonsense so they can focus on solutions to the problems we face.

Presently there are well funded groups stalking scientists just like OSA. That has to stop because being under surveillance is a fucking assault. It messes with your head and makes it hard to get work done.

Anonymous has a history of effectively fighting OSA type shenanigans so maybe Anonymous would be interested in helping out the scientists. It is a not a great justice type thing so much as a, "we must science the shit out of this problem" thing.
  16. The Internet Member

Trump wants to pull out of the Paris agreement. He wants to roll back regulations limiting auto emissions. But maybe if the public were to get good info about the science we could stop him before it is too late.

Just to recap one summary:
    Got that? Out of ten years of science papers containing the phrase "global climate change" the number that say human-caused warming is wrong = 0.
  17. The Internet Member

American Samoan Island Of Ta’u Now Running On 100% Solar Electricity (5,328 SolarCity Panels + 60 Tesla Powerpacks)

18. The Internet Member

http://www.lowcarbonusa.org

Dear President-elect Trump, President Obama, Members of the US Congress, and Global Leaders at COP22 in Marrakech:

We, the undersigned members in the business and investor community of the United States, re-affirm our deep commitment to addressing climate change through the implementation of the historic Paris Climate Agreement.

We want the US economy to be energy efficient and powered by low-carbon energy. Cost-effective and innovative solutions can help us achieve these objectives. Failure to build a low-carbon economy puts American prosperity at risk. But the right action now will create jobs and boost US competitiveness.

We pledge to do our part, in our own operations and beyond, to realize the Paris Agreement’s commitment of a global economy that limits global temperature rise to well below 2 degrees Celsius.

We call on our elected US leaders to strongly support:

1 Continuation of low-carbon policies to allow the US to meet or exceed our promised national commitment and to increase our nation’s future ambition
    2 Investment in the low carbon economy at home and abroad in order to give financial decision-makers clarity and boost the confidence of investors worldwide
    3 Continued US participation in the Paris Agreement, in order to provide the long-term direction needed to keep global temperature rise below 2°C

Implementing the Paris Agreement will enable and encourage businesses and investors to turn the billions of dollars in existing low-carbon investments into the trillions of dollars the world needs to bring clean energy and prosperity to all.

We support leaders around the world as they seek to implement the Paris Agreement and leverage this historic opportunity to tackle climate change.

Sincerely,
    • 22 Designs
    • 3P Partners
    • Abt Electronics
    • Abundance Food Co-op
    • Acer America Corporation
    • Active Minds LLC
    • Addenda Capital
    • AjO
    • Allagash Brewing Company
    • lots more at the link above
  19. DeathHamster Member

A message to Breitbart:

She is Kait Parker.
    She is Factual.
    She does not forgive.
    She does not forget.
    Expect her.

20. Mann Ace Member

Well this ought to get some knickers in a twist
    http://manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2016/12/13/some-predictions-for-the-future-in-the-climate-game
    You might want to read the whole thing. Provocative title.
  21. DeathHamster Member

22. DeathHamster Member

One of the comments pointed out what I suspected about the article.
    A comment on that kind of cherry-picking:

It's hard have a real debate when facing a wall of bullshit that's been debunked over and over again.
  23. Mann Ace Member

My sentiments exactly. When people tell me that 97% of scientists agree, so I should to, I know that I am talking to people who have no understanding of science. They think of science as a series of dogmas, rather than as applied skepticism.

When people tell me the science is settled, I understand that I've just been handed a blivet.

And the point of my last post here was to point out that Reid getting rid of the filibuster is now going to come back to haunt the Left. Lack of foresight is going to bite the Left in the ass, hard.
  24. The Internet Member

You have been misinformed.

The scientists actively working in some field can and do form a consensus when the evidence strongly supports one theory. That consensus is the best trier of fact humans are ever going to get.
  25. Mann Ace Member

If you think consensus plays a role in science, you've been lied to. If it was one of your teachers, you might ask for your money back.
    The scientific method is the best 'trier of facts' developed. Consensus plays no part. None. To think so is to deny the scientific method, and to deny science itself.

Why you want to deny science? I thought you liked science, but now, you are trashing it. WTF?
  26. The Internet Member

Non-experts do not do science. They ask for scientists to summarize the consensus within their field pertaining to some question.
  27. Mann Ace Member

So what? All the consensus in the world ain't able to hold up to one contrary fact.
  28. Mann Ace Member

Actually, that's not even true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Rosa

People do science. It just helps to have a good education now days to get into the lab, Not necessary, just useful.
  29. The Internet Member

That is incorrect. The "one contrary fact" has to be weighed against all the existing evidence. If that evidence is overwhelming, the contrary fact is most likely a spurious observation.
  30. The Internet Member

Emily Rosa published in the peer reviewed literature. So she has expertise with respect to her own research project.

Non-experts are those who do not publish within the peer reviewed literature within a given field.
  31. The Internet Member

Excerpts from an article about ExxonMobil's climate research in service to arctic oil and gas development, in contrast to its public statements that climate research is not reliable. This is a terrible crime against humanity and I hope one day there will be justice for all involved.

http://graphics.latimes.com/exxon-arctic/
  32. The Internet Member

33. The Internet Member

Koalas are thirsty.
  34. The Internet Member

Earth’s mass extinctions:

1. End-Ordovician, 443 million years ago
    A severe ice age led to sea level falling by 100m, wiping out 60-70% of all species which were prominently ocean dwellers at the time. Then soon after the ice melted leaving the oceans starved of oxygen.

2. Late Devonian, c 360 million years ago
    A messy prolonged climate change event, again hitting life in shallow seas very hard, killing 70% of species including almost all corals.

3. Permian-Triassic, c 250 million years ago
    The big one – more than 95% of species perished, including trilobites and giant insects – strongly linked to massive volcanic eruptions in Siberia that caused a savage episode of global warming.

4. Triassic-Jurassic, c 200 million years ago
    Three-quarters of species were lost, again most likely due to another huge outburst of volcanism causing global warming. It left the Earth clear for dinosaurs to flourish.

5. Cretaceous-Tertiary, 65 million years ago
    An giant asteroid impact on Mexico, just after large volcanic eruptions in what is now India, saw the end of the dinosaurs and ammonites. Mammals, and eventually humans, took advantage.

6. Anthropocene, 1950 to the present (provisional)
    Dramatic declines in the populations of many species around the globe and accelerating rates of species extinctions suggest that a 6th era of catastrophic loss of life has begun.
  35. The Internet Member