Customize

Firefox + Vidalia / Privoxy / Tor bundled

Discussion in 'Keeping Your Anonymity In Iran' started by Unregistered, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Read article [ here ]

Download Links: (uploading to more mirrors as I'm writing this)
    http://rapidshare.com/files/245552586/Firefox_Vidalia.zip

2. Please help out by download the Rapidshare file and upload it to different filehosting sites and post the links here.
  3. Restrict to Iranian IP

I was looking at the config file for Privoxy. It doesn't seem to restrict the allowed inbound IP addresses to Iran. Can you post an updated config file that restricts access?

Also, the proxy port seems to be 8118. Can you just confirm that?

Thanks,

Anonymous
  4. I Ran Hubbard Member

5. Problems with using Tor

You don't use Tor to give someone in Iran access to blocked web sites. Direct access to Tor is also being blocked in Iran.

You still need a proxy server on your machine to relay web traffic for the folks in Iran. You use Tor to protect the IP address of the person setting up the proxy. Also, it saves you the trouble of having to set up port forwarding on your router to allow inbound traffic to your proxy.

The problem is that even with Tor, your IP address will change whenever you restart Tor. If you're being found by IP and your IP changes, then your proxy can't be used again until you get your new IP distributed.

My thought is that you can use a service like DynDNS to link a free DNS hostname (such as freeiran.dyndns.org) to your changing Tor IP address. This Distro doesn't do that. I'm looking at setting up something that will help.
  6. Problem with Tor

Of course, now that I think about it a little more, doing a DNS lookup from inside Iran to find the IP address of the proxy isn't the brightest idea, either.

Does anyone know what IS allowed from inside Iran?