Customize

Finding my own 'anonymous' posts

Discussion in 'Support Questions' started by Mutante, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Zak McKracken Member

Re: Finding my own 'anonymous' posts

Ok.
    The problem with adding those features you suggest, that really would improve the reading experience of the users (and require less effort for them to mentally correlate disparate threads) is,

it would have the side effect of breaking some of the internal walls within the forum software that help protect anonymity. Nothing you'd see on the outside. So long as the other site security features work, no problem!

But the forum as a whole becomes (a little) less secure. It becomes a little easier for a clever haxor, an butthurt admin, or a lawfag with a subpoena to pull off your mask. It comes down to how much risk of namefag you're willing to take on, in exchange for a more usable and friendly planning site. This is not unreasonable to discuss, but some of us would like to see a WHOLE LOT of serious deliberation before taking steps that would reduce operational security.

How does "hiding your true identity to the point where you don't have one" work?

Lets all think about this one a bit.

/inb4grouphug
  2. Mutante Member

Agree with all that. Purpose of OP is to have the discussion not to compromise security models, which should be obvious. I would like to post anonymously most of the time but I don't want doing so to make using WWP a unnecessary chore or even a barrier to work being done.

I think the anonymous principle is about removing ego from debate to improve the quality/agility of decision making in specific terms, and uniformity of identity as a form of defence in general terms. Beyond that it gets tricky and (IMO FWIW) unhelpful but it's a different discussion (an interesting one).
  3. Anonymous Member

I already know which ones are you.

lrn2bjadmin
  4. lucifuge Member

Just so you know, Admins already know who every single Anony post is.
  5. Zak McKracken Member

There is at least one obvious (and a few semi-obvious ways), yeah.
    But having anony posts explicitly linked to non-anony users: one more way for things to break.

I'm not sayin' we should have something we don't have;
    just that I'm kinda in favor of keeping existing protections unless there's a good reason to change (and people know WTF they are doing).

Also cocks, and I need to eat maor php.
  6. Anonymous Member

^^^
    I like the anonymous posting very much, but the finding posts and the team thing, yeah, needs work.

Thx for the option...
  7. Re: Finding my own 'anonymous' posts

Check how they do it at GLP, the anonymous coward defaults get a "number" and that number can be used to search posts...AC's however are not able to PM.
  8. Anonymous Member

I'd just like for it to automatically subscribe me to the thread. Forgetting to scroll down and choose to enable it for the thread, when my non-anon posts do so automatically is a bitch.

Just like your mother.
  9. Re: Finding my own 'anonymous' posts

Anonymous Coward
    User ID: 610382
    3/12/2009 2:02 PM

example