Customize

Finding my own 'anonymous' posts

Discussion in 'Support Questions' started by Mutante, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Mutante Member

Finding my own 'anonymous' posts

I don't want my anonymous posts to show up if anyone lists 'Show all posts by Mutante' or what's the point of posting anonymously? But I want to be able to see them when I'm logged in.

Maybe other people think it would be handy to be able to find their own posts in this way too.

If so, any chance of this?

Maybe I'm missing a feature that already exists, if so disregard.
  2. Re: Finding my own 'anonymous' posts

oh yeaaah...good point

some of us (eg me) have limited experience with this type stuff

I'm prepared to give it a try, I can see some advantages, but yeah I want to be able to track what I'm posting
  3. Mutante Member

Re: Finding my own 'anonymous' posts

If you're sharing a WWP account with more than one real person for whatever reason it's a mindfuck trying to track stuff otherwise.

But even an individual wants to find their own shoops, facts, links again, right?
  4. lucifuge Member

This is currently not doable without writing a mod.
  5. Mutante Member

:-/
  6. Ackerland Member

Then write one. Can't be that difficult.
  7. TinyDancer Member

Go for it! :D
  8. lucifuge Member

Pay Me and I Will!
  9. Anonymous Member

Only thing I can suggest to help those who wish to have certain anonymous posts be searchable...

tripfag the post with a random code at the end and remember codes you used?

fg5632xw

Just a suggestion.
  10. cubby Member

nice workaround =D
  11. Ann O'Nymous Member

I cannot help to see the funny side of this: some people want to be anonymous, but not too much...
  12. Anonymous Member

Actually it's not about removing anonymity it's just a standard work around for using searchable forums.

Sorry you can't wrap your head around the concept.
  13. Mutante Member

Maybe, but some people want to be anonymous AND be able to find their content again in the future AND pick up on unfinished discussions. This isn't (primarily) an image board, right?
  14. Anonymous Member

Understood. Sort of...

Axnxn OxNxymxoxuxs
  15. cubby Member

:3

well, faithfully using a tripcode will allow anyone to build a profile of you. if you're going to do that you may as well just make a sock with a generic name like anon4975 or something...
  16. Stutroup Member

Erm ... subscribe to the thread? Then it's traceable only by you without anyone else's knowledge ....
  17. Ann O'Nymous Member

Just in case, this can be done automatically by modifying your options. I don't know if it works when publishing anonymously.
  18. themadhair Member

^This
    /thread
  19. Stutroup Member

There's a "thread tools" button at the top. Like most guys in their parents' basements, some things have to be done manually.
  20. Ann O'Nymous Member

Lurk moar:
    - Go to page: http://forums.whyweprotest.net/profile.php?do=editoptions
    - Modify:
  21. Stutroup Member

So you want to follow every single thing you ever post ...

Good for you!
  22. Zak McKracken Member

The less funny side is: some people think they want to be Anonymous but don't understand how what they are asking for would impact their ability to stay Anonymous.
  23. Re: Finding my own 'anonymous' posts

course at the end of the day, there's not a doubt in my mind that a determined anon could find out just about anything they wanted anyway :)

and so I will post this non-anonymously

(my heads going to 'splode...contemplating all the permutations and combinations of anon/nonanon layers!)
  24. Anonymous Member

?
  25. Ann O'Nymous Member

I cannot wait to see an anonymous quoting another anonymous and saying: "You see, I said so !"...
  26. Anonymous Member

I don't like this idea at all. If your account is stolen, or in some other scenarios, it would break your anonymity.

Subscribe instead, yeah?
  27. Anonymous Member

Excellent idea. You don't mind if I copy other people text do you?

fg5632xw
  28. Anonymous Member

29. Anonymous Member

Nope, no subscription.
  30. Ann O'Nymous Member

IMHO, full anonymity is linked with a selflessness that goes beyond the mere ownership of any given post. Anonymous posts belong to the hivemind.
  31. Ann O'Nymous Member

Thanks for trying.
  32. Mutante Member

No proper post tracking for anonymous posts and no PMs if you post anonymously.

Or at least, not yet.

Hmm.

Not a great place to put teams together to get things done, then.
  33. Anonymous Member

They do, but to remember to subscribe to every thread you post in, so you can continue the discussion when there are new posts? It seems like a bit too much effort to do.
  34. cubby Member

it's possible to want to follow up on a thread you posted in anonymously and possibly do so again...
  35. Anonymous Member

QFT
  36. lucifuge Member

Id be more likely to make auto subscribe work then making search work for your own posts
  37. Fuckeye Member

Auto-subscribe would be great <3
  38. xseaorguk Member

on the ESMB site there is a button 'my posts', where I can follow up on the next day or day after and see in anbody has added things.
    I always seem to be looking thru tons of posts on here and even second pages in order to find threads I have replied to, as I dont always remember what they were called.
    Some I haven't found again until this day....lol
  39. Zak McKracken Member

Full anonymity is not possible for users with egos, (that is, all of them) however sincere dedication to the principle of anonymity goes along nicely with willingness to relinquish possession of posts, ideas once offered.

In practice, most people don't want to go through the hassle.
  40. Mutante Member

It's not about possessing posts. It's not about owning ideas. It's not about ego.

It's about bookmarking genuinely useful posts, minimum. Even subscribing to threads (if it worked for anonymous posts, currently doesn't) is not much good if the thread is long.

I thought the principle of anonimity was about hiding your true identity to the point where you don't have one. It's not about making a website for people that is hard to use by those same people. That's called a fuckup. I see no necessary compromise in the utility of anonimity for the sake of some regular usability.

Again, this isn't a chan. It's a discussion forum, an information sharing hub, a fact checking collective and a place to design/plan/coordinate some aspects of activism. To do those things well requires some basic tools.

If the purpose of WWP is changing then replace the software with Futaba already.

Or, make it easier to work with anonimity. Please?