Customize

Feb. 13th, 2010 - Toronto

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Canadian Rootkit, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Feb. 13th, 2010 - Toronto

First protest I've gone to, went pretty well except the police at the end.

Arrived approx. at noon, and there was only one other anon at first. Peaked at a total of three including myself, but that was only for a half an hour. Then it was just me and the same anon as before.

We got about a score of people voicing support over the day, including one anon from Calgary. Also encountered the "crazy bike bitch" who apparently shows up from time to time to protest against the cult. A police officer stopped by, asked us when L. Ron's birthday was. He drove off and told us to "keep it real" in a supportive fashion.

Was around 2:00 P.M. the scilons started carding. Me and the other anon offered helpful reminders that Xenu still loves them. I think that did it for them, because around 3:00 P.M. the police showed up. We got asked to remove masks and they took names, etc. Asked us to clear out afterwards. We asked what the problem was, and they claimed that the Scilons had called because we were "freaking them out." Total BS, but it was about time to leave anyway so we didn't push the issue.

Most of this is on video except (unfortunately) for the cops. I'll upload ASAP.

Videos:

Viddler.com - February 13th 2010-Scientology Protest - GroovyMovey - Uploaded by FTPmon
  2. Re: Feb. 13th, 2010 - Toronto

Troopers!

It was really cold today, so I'm impressed you stuck it out. Sorry I didn't make it: Saturdays aren't so great for me.

-Wiseman of the Watchtower
  3. Belladonna Member

Re: Feb. 13th, 2010 - Toronto

I love it.
    I don't like this. I hope you will find it in you to follow this up with the police dept.
  4. coffee Member

Hi,
    Completely new but like what Im reading. If I attend a protest am I to understand that the police can ask to remove the mask and provide ID. I believe the latter is a non option and of course being civil is part and parcel. My concern is that I do not wish to be identified, so what "rights" do we have in terms of unmasking or obliging?

-coffee
  5. Anonymous Member

Well done with all heart.
  6. Rockyj Member

WOW, end bummer...but the rest WIN!!
  7. HellRazor Member

You can refuse, but chances are, you will end up V& and taken to the station. A couple of Toronto Anons were facefagged and namefagged (in 2008) by Scilons hanging around when police forced them to remove masks and provide ID.

The safest thing to do is not to raid directly in front of the Org. (Across the street is fine.) Don't harrass the Scilons and video everything. Leave non-essential ID at home.

Read this: http://anonymoustoronto.wiki-site.com/index.php/Partyvan
  8. Re: Feb. 13th, 2010 - Toronto

We were on the corner right beside the cult. When they asked us to de-mask, we faced away from the "church" so that we couldn't be facefagged. I was also rocking the T-shirt ninja look, so I didn't really remove my mask so much as I simply dropped the lower part to my lips. The officer didn't seem to mind that.

I also read (somewhere) that not bringing your ID to protests was a good idea, so I didn't bring my ID (meaning no essential or non-essential ID whatsoever). The police officer requested it. When I told him I didn't have ID, he asked me why I didn't carry it, and I said I wouldn't bring something like that to a protest. When he pressed the matter, I cited fair game. He seemed aggravated but I get the vibe he couldn't really do anything about it, so he didn't try.
  9. Ogsonofgroo Member

Good goin' TO! I see by the weather reports its a tad chilly there, ya did great to hang around for a while, sucks about the bawwings of scilonese, to be expected though. Maybe next time they want to hang around and do their fliering~ a bit less confronting them (shouting OTII sort of doesn't do much anyway) and maor counter flierings. You were few and they took advantage of it, nothing new there.
    Keep up the epic work!

Cheers & caeks & hot chocolate!
  10. coffee Member

That's perfect, exactly the info I was looking for thanks.

-coffee
  11. DeathHamster Member

Sorry I couldn't stay longer. I have a crummy cold, and I didn't want to push it too much.

As I recall, the deal to not picket directly in front of the org was a temporary arrangement for the summer of 2008, and the excuse at that time was that it was partly for the protection of the protesters.

"Freaking them out" doesn't sound like a good reason to curtail Charter Rights of peaceful protest. OG protests in front of the Org from 1997-2002ish certainly freaked CoS out, but no one ordered us to move on those grounds.

It seems like the Org now thinks that they have the right to order the police to remove anyone that "freaks them out" from the public sidewalk around the org, and the police are okay with that. Herm.

As well, flyers and better sign-tech are needed.
  12. Anonymous Member

ColdFX - it works and it helps people.
  13. Anonymous Member

Poor Scilons, scared of two guys in masks having fun. :( Hope you did not get too cold!
  14. Re: Feb. 13th, 2010 - Toronto

I might go and call the business line of the Toronto police and get clarification for next time. I was pretty certain they didn't have the right to ask us to move along, but I wasn't in the mood to piss the cops off when I didn't really know what I was talking about.

Yeah, next time I'll be bringing proper protest-tech. And cold-tech.
  15. MeganonOT8 Member

I meant to tell you guys something about signtech when i edited your last video. Using Color can always make some more heads turn and read.
  16. TorontosRoot Member

The footage is being edited, very much trouble with it. First 3 tries failed, 4th was successful (obtaining footage from the camcorder). Now all that is needed is editing the 3gp files (merging all of them plus the cam footage) into one WMV.

Editing will commence, footage will be posted to viddler once done. Not sure how long it'll take, but hang on. Sorry to keep you all waiting. 5 hours were wasted attempting to get smooth video out of the crummy editing application.

There is allot of parts that either need to be cut or speeded up as there are pointless or TMI sections not related to the raid or cult.

PS. If any of the video turns out a bit "blocky", then I cannot do anything about it. You will just have to kindly ignore it and enjoy the video. If it's 25-50 minutes, I could shove in some music. It won't be an easy task to match up 10 tracks.

I'll bump this as the editing progresses. Taking a nap until the mind is rested enough to comprehend editing. I only got up to make a post here. Thanks for starting it anyways, I meant to as soon as I returned to base (home) but I guess you beat me to it :)
  17. TorontosRoot Member

Bump

L. Ron. Hubbord's B-Day is this March 13th. I think a BIG protest should be planned in preparation for it. :) Wuddia think about that?

PS. The Org opens at 9:25am. Info found on their website is a win for us. Morning raid in the summer Foar Teh Winrar.
  18. Anonymous Member

Good idea 'bout talkin' to cops and confirming guidlines.
    New sign> Scientology Freaks Me OUT!
    ..................Ask Me WHY!
  19. Enzyme Member

Calgary anon actually... not Edmonton, but I did attend the protests there for a while. Sorry I couldn't stick around for longer. I really wanted to, but I was under a tight schedule. Saw the $cilons out the next day carding, but wasn't allowed to troll them. The rest of my group wasn't keen on having me draw attention to them. I may not be back in Toronto again anytime soon, but if I am, I'll be sure to let you know in advance.

Keep it up guys, it was awesome to meet a few of you!
  20. TorontosRoot Member

The footage is up, 75% of it being speeded up. 50 minutes total, might be tl;dw, but it is worth it.

You might find some parts hard to comprehend due to the fact the mic distorted them too much (also traffic, wind factors).

The last part is speeded up, but much clearer. I spent enough time on it. The trouble was, a total of 10 hours in mishaps was getting to the point of giving up and scrapping it. Giving it a break solved the issue. Well here it is, source files were removed, but the footage is right on target. Note: TMI was speeded up beyond comprehension.

Viddler.com - February 13th 2010-Scientology Protest - GroovyMovey - Uploaded by FTPmon

I only wish it would embed like other videos do. Happy viewing.
  21. Enzyme Member

Looks good (if a bit long). I note the lack of footage during my unmasked encounter with you guys. I appreciate that, whether intentional or not, though I wasn't too terrifically worried about being facefagged anyways. I'm usually pretty cautious, but I wasn't in town for long, and where I live now is pretty much off the radar for everything. I'll probably post a few of the pics I got with you by the end of this week.
  22. MeganonOT8 Member

you guys can megaupload the vid and i can help yall edit if yall are having trouble :D
  23. Re: Feb. 13th, 2010 - Toronto

Ah, sorry. Edmonton stuck in my head. As for the lack of facefagging, I tried catching some of the audio, but the wind messed it up to the point of incomprehensibility.

On that note, I reviewed the iPod footage, but the only good part is just when the cops roll up to us... which is exactly when the power runs out.